Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Craw on the fuckin Cardinals? Couldn't you just retire dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Just casually speculating that the woman who also worked for the mlbpa and who got Bauer the first 40m a year contract is bad at her job
lmao at acting like Bauer’s Dodger contract was some brilliant innovative agent work.

It was an Andrew Friedman dream deal, the exact kind of contract structure he’d been trying to get good players on for years. And he got Bauer on it cause Bauer famously, arrogantly proclaimed he would take 1-year deals to maximize his AAV and bet on himself.

It didn’t take some masterful achievement of negotiation on his agent’s part to get that deal.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

lmao at acting like Bauer’s Dodger contract was some brilliant innovative agent work.

It was an Andrew Friedman dream deal, the exact kind of contract structure he’d been trying to get good players on for years. And he got Bauer on it cause Bauer famously, arrogantly proclaimed he would take 1-year deals to maximize his AAV and bet on himself.

It didn’t take some masterful achievement of negotiation on his agent’s part to get that deal.

I forgot about this. It really blew up in his face.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
quote is not edit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In fact he said he’d let his friend shoot him in the junk with a paintball gun if he ever signed a multi year deal

Then of course he said the player opt outs made it not count when people trolled him on Twitter about it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

In fact he said he’d let his friend shoot him in the junk with a paintball gun if he ever signed a multi year deal

Then of course he said the player opt outs made it not count when people trolled him on Twitter about it

Well it did involuntary end up being a one year deal

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/homage/status/1762108046761656657?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://x.com/sportslogosnet/status/1762199503631765703?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Masterful work by Andrew Friedman to pay Bauer tens of millions of dollars to pitch half a season

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

These slap and should be standard on field attire

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Masterful work by Andrew Friedman to pay Bauer tens of millions of dollars to pitch half a season
wait so it was a brilliant move by his agent to secure a contract because she knew he was going to get suspended for beating women?

What exactly is your point here? You tried to give her credit for getting an AAV-record deal but that wasn’t an innovation she had much to do with.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 27, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Soul Glo posted:

Geography’s weird. Washington DC is south of Cincinnati.

Wait is this surprising?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If these are not Fanatics level quality, I'm buying that Cubs one. The Marlins one is incredibly cool too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

god drat those are sick

e: Astros one is sold out, gonna have to keep an eye on it I guess

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I really wanted one of those satin Starter jackets as a kid. I had to settle(?) for Zubaz.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/aarongleeman/status/1762249568823947309

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I want the Angels jacket with the halo. But then again I don't.

This season is going to loving suck

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Splint Chesthair posted:

I really wanted one of those satin Starter jackets as a kid. I had to settle(?) for Zubaz.

We all laughed at the kid with the Golden State Warriors starter jacket back in suburban Chicago in the 90s. I bet that jacket would be worth a shitload today.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Anthony Rendon got paid several hundred thousand dollars so far during spring training, in which he is 0-2 at the plate, and with no fielding chances.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Splint Chesthair posted:

I was given a Starter FSU light jacket for maybe Christmas 1993. The logo flaked off pretty quickly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mdemone posted:

Anthony Rendon got paid several hundred thousand dollars so far during spring training, in which he is 0-2 at the plate, and with no fielding chances.

Nice work if you can get it

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I too get paid for showing up and accomplishing nothing. Good for him.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I was at an antique/vintage/craft fair doing some Christmas shopping and there was a booth with a bunch of old sports apparel. I was loving psyched when I saw a red and black starter jacket. Less psyched when it was a Wisconsin Badgers starter jacket.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The Cubs are 0-2 with a 13-0 run differential since it was announced they would get Bellinger back. Makes you think.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dameius posted:

I too get paid for showing up and accomplishing nothing. Good for him.

We are not going to celebrate Anthony "loving" Rendon on my watch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure players don't get paid until the regular season starts

I remember this coming up during the lockout season

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I WILL NOT HAVE THIS CONVERSATION

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They get a few hundred bucks a week for meals during spring training. Their actual contracted salary doesn't begin until Opening Day.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 27, 2024

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
imagine going to work for no pay, sickos

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hirez posted:

imagine going to work for no pay, sickos

This is why the owners continue to push for expanded playoffs. MLB salaries are paid out from Opening Day through Game 162. Teams in the playoffs get a share of the gate receipts but no further base salary, so all that parking and beer and hot dog revenue is free money for ownership.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's less about getting a handful of extra games without paying out salary than it is about getting extra TV revenue

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

DeepDickPizza posted:

The Cubs are 0-2 with a 13-0 run differential since it was announced they would get Bellinger back. Makes you think.

Makes you think they could really use Bellinger's bat in the lineup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

We all laughed at the kid with the Golden State Warriors starter jacket back in suburban Chicago in the 90s. I bet that jacket would be worth a shitload today.

Why the hell would you do that, the RunTMC era Warriors were awesome

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

This is why the owners continue to push for expanded playoffs. MLB salaries are paid out from Opening Day through Game 162. Teams in the playoffs get a share of the gate receipts but no further base salary, so all that parking and beer and hot dog revenue is free money for ownership.
players also only get a share of the first four games of a seven game series, so that they don’t have financial incentive to throw games and prolong the series for more money

Cause apparently thats a thing owners worried about

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Makes you think they could really use Bellinger's bat in the lineup

:hmmyes:

They'll be fine once Cody starts getting ABs and WesNastys on rest.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

bawfuls posted:

players also only get a share of the first four games of a seven game series, so that they don’t have financial incentive to throw games and prolong the series for more money

Cause apparently thats a thing owners worried about

This makes total sense from a gambling perspective. Just think of it as a flat fee for the series.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

mdemone posted:

I want the Angels jacket with the halo. But then again I don't.

This season is going to loving suck

Maybe I can buy it and not wear it for a few years until Arte dies.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

DeepDickPizza posted:

This makes total sense from a gambling perspective. Just think of it as a flat fee for the series.

Given that baseball's biggest early scandal directly revolved around throwing a world series, that one surprises me a lot less.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

opinion and a question
1. players should get the full series worth of bonus pay regardless of how long it goes. i guess it's possible that it's already worded that way.
2. do the umps get paid per playoff game?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Redeye Flight posted:

Given that baseball's biggest early scandal directly revolved around throwing a world series, that one surprises me a lot less.

I mean, lots of the team agreed to do it because they weren't getting paid enough. I feel like that's less of an issue now, but still. The unpaid labor part was bit in that scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah players getting paid so much more now is a nice buffer against gambling related scandals. How much would you have to pay the ace for a playoff team to make it worth the risk of being banned from the sport

How are you going to make that money gambling on a single baseball game without raising flags