Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Slaan posted:

There is another one where the Lawful Good answer is roughly 'i don't like slavery, but that's your culture and law so I'll just return these slaves to you, evildoer' IIRC

If this is the scene I'm thinking of, that was the Lawful Neutral option. The Lawful Good option was "[Attack]Die slavers!" and that was against an opponent begging for mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Slaan posted:

There is another one where the Lawful Good answer is roughly 'i don't like slavery, but that's your culture and law so I'll just return these slaves to you, evildoer' IIRC
They built a whole mythic path out of this, Aeon. Probably a hot take but I absolutely think it's worth experiencing as it is as marvelous as it is bewildering. When the byline says they eventually get the power to right wrongs by rewriting reality itself they aren't exaggerating; you do it multiple times to fix impossible situations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SettingSun posted:

They built a whole mythic path out of this, Aeon. Probably a hot take but I absolutely think it's worth experiencing as it is as marvelous as it is bewildering. When the byline says they eventually get the power to right wrongs by rewriting reality itself they aren't exaggerating; you do it multiple times to fix impossible situations.

In fact, I intend to eventually do an analysis of the Aeon story much later in the game because I found it the most interesting mythic story in Wrath! But much, much later once we have context for some of the things that Aeon does. Also, I mean interesting. Azata is far and away the mythic path I enjoy the most.

Also, Aeon is very firmly Lawful Neutral, for the record. In fact, it has the strictest alignment requirements of any of the starting six mythic paths: if you're Lawful Good or Lawful Evil, even if you've otherwise done all the right things in the Aeon story, you're ultimately deemed too biased and incapable of the kind of objectivity that Aeons must represent, and so get kicked out of the mythic path in its final story arc.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I believe Aeon path had at least two writers with entirely different idea what Aeon is supposed to be. And they didn't talked to each other.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Szarrukin posted:

. Then I found out they are Russian developers. Make of it what you will.

The events of the past two years make the various "beatings will continue until morale improves" speeches darkly funny. Worked really great for the Russians irl.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

In fact, I intend to eventually do an analysis of the Aeon story much later in the game because I found it the most interesting mythic story in Wrath! But much, much later once we have context for some of the things that Aeon does. Also, I mean interesting. Azata is far and away the mythic path I enjoy the most.

Same here; I like that the Aeon path exists, I like the concepts it encompasses, and I'll never be able to play it.

EDIT: Took out lovely nationalist joke.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 26, 2024

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As far as alignment goes, I'll note simply that Gygax modeled some of his lawful good paladin behaviors after John Chivington, a real world genocidal maniac, and literally quoted the Sand Creek Massacre as model behavior. He also once stated that a paladin who does manage to turn an orc towards good should murder him on the spot to ensure his soul goes to heaven and that he slip back into evil.

So that's the origins of D&D's alignment.

Also, I'll be real, it's beyond weird to see people unsarcastically claim that it's the fault of the Perfidious Slav that alignment is what it is. Gygax would be proud.

CommissarMega posted:

It's In The Blood (And Not Really): Tieflings
The motherless, because even horrible things from beyond the ken of mortal minds need love too. Preferably with the lights off.

My only weird and dumb addition to this is that the Motherless stand out in this game and in Kingmaker in particular by having access to a native bite attack, making them ideal for characters who focus on pumping out as many attacks as possible.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

yeah I don't think Owlcat is intentionally making weird calls with alignment because they're Russian lol.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also, I'll be real, it's beyond weird to see people unsarcastically claim that it's the fault of the Perfidious Slav that alignment is what it is. Gygax would be proud.

Yeah, good point. I was just making a joke referencing how modern Russia is like the Imperium, but that might've been a little much.

ProfessorCirno posted:

My only weird and dumb addition to this is that the Motherless stand out in this game and in Kingmaker in particular by having access to a native bite attack, making them ideal for characters who focus on pumping out as many attacks as possible.

Guilty as charged!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I remember reading the stat and behavioral requirements for Paladin in D&D 2E and it was so much bullshit that nobody could even play them. Want to sneak up on a band of goblins? Nope! Gotta let them know you're coming because any stealth or tactics is immoral!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I imagine that paladins were all but outright discouraged from being played in 2e as any official method to roll one would do so rarely, they were pretty powerful, and their behavioral restrictions were not suited to players or their allies. The idea stuck and they evolved into something pretty nice by 5e though.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
I know almost nothing about these games, but I did heard that their take on alignment could be...iffy, to say the least (at least, hear it about kingmaker).

Cythereal posted:

Yua Level 3: +1 Bard (Bard 3)
Feat: Precise Shot
No good bard feats, I take it?

Cythereal posted:

So if you've noticed the words in purple in dialogue, mousing over them fills you in on a bit of lore about the world.
Apropos of nothing - anyone know which game brought this innovation into RPGs?

Cythereal posted:

This right here is why Seelah is my favorite paladin in any Dungeons and Dragons game I've ever played.
Paladin tier list when?

Cythereal posted:

A tiefling PC gets extra dialogue with Woljiff a lot, and here with Irabeth she clarifies to a tiefling PC that it's Woljiff's proven criminal behavior she has a problem with, not his being a tiefling.
She may even believe it, but - "thieflings"? Doubt.

CommissarMega posted:

Physically, while they're 99.9% physically perfect in a tiefling sort of way, pitborn always have some small but obvious imperfection like heterochromia
Oh, I look like a model, but my eyes are different colours, WOE is me...
(I do enjoy your posts! Reminds me I have some fatal&friends to catch up to)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
paladins were the first of what would eventually become prestige classes, and were originally written as The Fighter Just Better (but they have these REALLY STRICT RP restrictions you guys so trust me its balanced)

due to D+D sacred cows being what they are, you will never see the fighter removed from the game. but in a modern video game design paradigm, you would absolutely start as a fighter and then around level three or something decide whether to go Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, or Barbarian, adding the appropriate extra mechanics as you did so.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gun Jam posted:

First time I saw something like this was in Pillars of Eternity (2015). I don't remember it in any CRPG before then.

Gun Jam posted:

Oh, I look like a model, but my eyes are different colours, WOE is me...
(I do enjoy your posts! Reminds me I have some fatal&friends to catch up to)

"Yes, but I'm supposed to be PEEEERFEEEECT! AAARGH!"

Thanks for reading the posts, by the way!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

due to D+D sacred cows being what they are, you will never see the fighter removed from the game. but in a modern video game design paradigm, you would absolutely start as a fighter and then around level three or something decide whether to go Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, or Barbarian, adding the appropriate extra mechanics as you did so.

It's kind of sad though, especially with how RPGs are developing- your method would be the best way of presenting those classes while removing a lot of the bloat, but as long as grogs keep grogging, it's never gonna happen :(

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

A paladin in Wrath will fall if they do too many good deeds.

lmao what the gently caress

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gun Jam posted:

I know almost nothing about these games, but I did heard that their take on alignment could be...iffy, to say the least (at least, hear it about kingmaker).

The main iffiness with Kingmaker is that Lawful Good is often the [Attack!] option with Neutral Good being the most general "kind and merciful" type good alignment. Lawful Neutral also can have a Judge Dread "execute the lawbreaker!!" bend to it.

The other issue is that being too neutral good could prevent you from gaining levels in paladin because it had a strict Lawful Good requirement (and still does in Wrath) so you have to pepper in a couple straight laced rear end in a top hat dialogue choices in with your good guy act. (or use Scrolls of Atonement to bypass this).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gun Jam posted:

Tyranny, by Obsidian Entertainment. very interesting magic system, world, and writing coupled to some tragically uninspiring combat and a kind of abrupt sequelbait ending.

it is the bronze age. the Legions of Kyros, Overlord, have just finished conquering the last of the free nations of the world. the prologue and character creation are how exactly you, one of Kyros' lawspeakers, helped make it happen, climaxing with you personally being the delivery mechanism for one of Kyros' Edicts, a magical WMD. the story proper begins with the conquered territory rebelling, and two of the dread legions tasked with stamping out the rebellion spending more of their time squabbling with each other than actually fighting the rebels. you are sent by the Overlord with an Edict to help solve this problem.

you learn at the moment you speak it that the Overlord's magically-enforced command is "if my flag isn't at the top of the rebel stronghold by the end of the week, everyone in the rebelling territory dies."

congratulations, Kyros has just said "get this done or all of you die, and i do not care which one happens."

as you may gather from that description, there's a lot of context the game delivers through that little trick. in a fun detail, they have a character demonstrate he's a mind-reader by having him talk to you through them occasionally.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

If you don’t take sides on the law/chaos axis (because, perhaps, a lot of the law choices are ridiculous) that by definition is neutrality. That’s my justification on it. Drawbacks from the alignment chart being a circle. Buy those atonement scrolls and make any dialogue choices you want.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you learn at the moment you speak it that the Overlord's magically-enforced command is "if my flag isn't at the top of the rebel stronghold by the end of the week, everyone in the rebelling territory dies."

Or you can stall until the appointed day passes before reading the order, in which case you have 355 days to get it done. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Referred to above, but there's a reason Owlcat added piles of Scrolls of Atonement (reset your alignment back to its starting point) to cleric vendors in one of the earliest Kingmaker patches. And they continue to be available in Wrath. Owlcat is clearly aware there are issues with how they've built their alignment shift system, but decided to just let you hard reset to fix any issues along those lines rather than deal with it another way.

The one main change to alignment from Kingmaker to Wrath is that in Kingmaker choices often had a specific alignment (LG, NG, CE, etc.) whereas in Wrath choices are generally on just one axis rather than both. Can still cause alignment problems, but you're no longer having as much issue with certain options seeming quite as insane for the listed alignment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gun Jam posted:

No good bard feats, I take it?

I already took the one bard-specific feat that mattered. Everything after that is just deciding what else you want a bard to do - fight in melee, really clown on skill checks, etc. I've chosen to focus Yua on archery.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Aeon rules and is probably tied for my favourite mythic path alongside Retribution Angel. Azata is probably my least favourite of the fully developed mythic paths though it’s still much better than the stragglers.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Later editions of D&D are clearly kind of embarrassed by alignment and have only kept it around in a vestigial form. (I find it useful as a character creation aid, but it having fewer mechanical consequences is, generally, a good thing.) The meaning of alignment has shifted many times since D&D's invention; once we get to the edition Pathfinder borrowed its mechanics from, the definitions were roughly as follows:

* Lawful: values social structure and collective action - the best way to achieve one's goals is in alignment (ho ho) with a mass of other people. Actions that damage the fabric of society are wrong.
* Chaotic: values individualism and and flexible behavior - the best way to achieve one's goals is through your own efforts. Actions that curtail individual freedom are wrong.
* Good: values the lives of others and attempts to ensure their well-being - the best goals are those that benefit as many people as possible. Actions that will help others live and grow are right and actions that will harm people are wrong.
* Evil: values their own well-being above others, or deliberately harms others for their own sake - the best goals are those that maximize benefit for you. Actions that do not benefit you are wrong.

Neutrality on either axis means either not considering those questions (a neutral good person who does what they believe will benefit the most people in a given situation, without any particular consideration as to whether that involves favoring collective or individual rights), wavering back and forth between them (a lawful neutral person who tries to obey society's rules and do the right thing but frequently uses those rules to hurt others with accompanying rationalization), or trying to deliberately strike a balance between them (a true neutral character who as read too much Weis and Hickman and believes the world will literally blow up if everyone is too good).

In some editions, there is also the concept of "unaligned" beings, who are like dogs and just sort of do things arbitrarily.

The problem is, when you go slinging around words like "good" and "evil", you're opening yourself up to a LOT of variation in what people are going to think those words mean, even if you literally include a definition in your book. The terms are just far too loaded for that to matter very much. Law and chaos may have less specific meaning for people, but you still get a lot of folks thinking law means that you should be shouting DEUS VULT 24/7 and solving all problems with fire and additional fire, because that's a stereotype that has seeped into the fantasy genre. And of course if you, were, say, developing a video game with multiple writers and an outsized text-to-editor ratio, you might end up with a few different interpretations clashing even in the same game. To put it another way, alignment is a mess unless the writers establish immediately what both axes mean, and then enforce that uniformly across the board. Or, you know, you could just chuck the whole thing and go with reputations instead.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Palladium got alignment right and everyone has been playing catchup :smuggo:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think it helps to understand the origin of D&D-style alignment. Lots of people reading this thread probably already do, but if not I hope this can put the whole thing in a bit of historical context.

In the earliest editions of D&D (which were much closer to its predecessor as a true wargame) your alignment was limited to one of three choices: Law, Chaos, or Neutrality and literally meant which side of the overarching supernatural conflict you might work for and would side with when the final apocalyptic battle between Law and Chaos happened. It was heavily patterned after the metaphysics featured in works by Michael Moorcock and Poul Anderson and was basically treated identically to "good vs evil" in the game, though in the books it was lifted from it was more complicated (and not really the same by the two authors mentioned, either - Anderson's take was more "civilization and humanity" vs "wild nature and the fey").

Neutral was either "don't really care and tries not to get caught up in the fight" or, a la Moorcock's Eternal Champion, a force of Balance dedicated to making sure one side didn't get too much of a leg up on the other. Dragonlance, as mentioned above, also took this as a cosmic necessity, but in the sense of Good vs Evil after things got more complicated.

Speaking of which, later editions (starting with AD&D 1e, I believe - which Dragonlance was written for originally) added "good" and "evil" as a second axis in order to add complexity and "maturity" in recognition of the fact that someone could be on the side of the forces of Law and still be a complete rear end in a top hat. What do you do when a powerful ally who might just turn the tide in favor of the angels is a murdering slaver? See also the "DEUS VULT!" remark from a couple posts up.

Of course, as was also mentioned above, Gygax had some truly horrific ideas as to what kinds of things would count as "good" or "evil" acts, but these days the majority of gamers and game writers even in D&D-adjacent spaces like the OSR are working, writing, and playing within a moral framework more close to modern sensibilities than that.

Some are even starting to wrassle with the deeper problems of the "frontier" narrative built in to the game from its earliest days, but that's a topic for another subforum.

EDIT: forgot to complete a thought.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 26, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That Hulrun fella seems like a real hardass.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vargatron posted:

That Hulrun fella seems like a real hardass.

My trope instincts have him pegged as a future boss, but a part of me is hoping that we just find him dead, his face in shock that the constant witch burnings did not actually make the city safer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to Matt Colville the early editions had alignment languages and your alignment was your religion? It seemed kinda weird.
Here's the 30 minute rambling video of him about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPhiLBW7jo

Maybe modern alignment is like this: :v:
Lawful good: Discrimination is wrong and we need laws to protect people.
Chaotic good: Discrimination is wrong but we don't need laws to tell us that.
Lawful neutral: If it's legal to discriminate it's right. If it's illegal to discriminate it's wrong.
Lawful evil: We need laws to stop such immoral behavior!
Chaotic evil: Yehaw ya'll get yur shotguns we going lynchin!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Poil posted:

According to Matt Colville the early editions had alignment languages and your alignment was your religion? It seemed kinda weird.
Here's the 30 minute rambling video of him about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPhiLBW7jo

Maybe modern alignment is like this: :v:
Lawful good: Discrimination is wrong and we need laws to protect people.
Chaotic good: Discrimination is wrong but we don't need laws to tell us that.
Lawful neutral: If it's legal to discriminate it's right. If it's illegal to discriminate it's wrong.
Lawful evil: We need laws to stop such immoral behavior!
Chaotic evil: Yehaw ya'll get yur shotguns we going lynchin!

Hah, that's another thing that started out reasonable and got dumb as it was carried over until it was dropped. It makes sense to have a common language for the Law-aligned and Chaos-aligned forces to each be able to communicate with each other - maybe they're derived from the language spoken by the Powers That Be and their direct servants on each side, akin to "Celestial" and "Infernal" - and it makes sense for them to be mutually unintelligible (unless, presumably, you make a deliberate study). Neutral language is harder to justify but the other two alignments have one too, so why not?

Then you go to the two-axis grid and suddenly you're looking at nine alignment tongues that don't have any particular reason for being separate languages that only beings of the exact same alignment can use to communicate, and suddenly everything is really really stupid.

I've seen attempts to update it as less of a "Dutch vs Tamil" and into something like a specialized jargon for discussing the nuances of a particular philosophy and that only someone who holds a similar morality to you would understand the distinction between the finer points of the neutral evil worldview, but it's still something that should just be chucked in the bin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Question: What kinda tiefling would be a half elf and a rebellious teenager who forms a punk band while skipping class and giving endless poo poo to her sad sack elf step-father?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Alignment Restricted classes and builds are probably better as Mercenaries (which you can create and hire much like your PC, just with 20 points to spend on stats instead of 25), because anyone who is not the Main PC has their alignment locked in stone instead of being influenced by your choices.

Honestly, the 20 pointbuy instead of 25 isn't even that crippling in the long run, since the ability to custom build your mercs more than makes up for it. Some of the companions have some really bizarre and suboptimal choices when it comes to feats and class abilities. I mean, why the hell does Lann, a ranged archer character, start off with COMBAT REFLEXES, a Feat that allows for additional Attacks of Opportunities (which ranged characters can't do without specific feats)?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll discuss mercenaries later at a more opportune story moment, chill on that.

Gun Jam posted:

Paladin tier list when?

Playable paladin companions from the DnD games I've played:

1. Seelah - Wrath of the Righteous. Best Gal, no notes.

2. Keldorn - Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. Cool team dad with a surprisingly nuanced personal quest. Chiefly let down by being mad at Viconia for her race and not all the non-racist reasons you should be mad at Viconia.

3. Ha Ha No - Wrath of the Righteous. A very interesting character in my opinion let down badly by the story catastrophically mishandling them. Do not discuss this one, those who know who I'm talking about.

4. Casavir - Neverwinter Nights 2. An interesting character concept (paladin exiled because he got caught boning a noblewoman he didn't have the social standing to court) in a tedious story that didn't know what to do with him.

5. Lol No - Wrath of the Righteous. Barely a paladin on a technicality, and barely a playable character at all. Do not discuss this one, those who know who I'm talking about.

6. Ajantis - Baldur's Gate 1. BY HELM the only paladin on this list with the distinction that he served a non-good god.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 27, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
What I like about Seelah is that you get the general sense she’s a compassionate ethical person and practices what she preaches, but at the same time allows herself time to relax and be friends with others instead of holding herself above them in any way. She is disciplined but does not use her blessings to deny anyone else undeserved compassion or grace. It’s refreshing when paladins are so often high and mighty opposites of this standard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On Higher Ground, Part Two

Just a mini update tonight, I was running up against the character limit on the previous post and there's a few more things to cover.

First, there's the local high priest of Abadar selling scrolls and alchemy materials. I'm told that priest vendors in this game are supposed to carry scrolls of atonement to reset your character's alignment, but this guy at least doesn't seem to have any.

"Are there any suspicious places in the city that I should pay attention to?"
"There were a couple spots I wanted to check out, but I didn't have time. If there really is a den of cultists there, it would be good if you could swoop in there and bust some heads. You don't even need a search warrant." (Anevia shoots you a crooked smile.) First one is The Silken Thread. It's a funny little tailor shop that doesn't take any orders and never buys any fabric, but they always seem oh so busy. They're busy with something in there all right, but sewing it ain't! Second one is the alchemy shop, Topaz Solutions. And they trade in everything — not just healing potions. Judging by the ingredients they've been buying on the black market, there's something fishy about the alchemical rituals going down in that place."

Anevia gives you a couple suspected cultist dens to go investigate.

"Are there any places in the city worth visiting?"
:drac: "If you mean places that normal people usually stay well away from, then there are plenty. Like the Pitaxian wine cellar." (Gemyl pauses for effect, like the name of the place alone should make you quiver in fear.) It once belonged to a Pitaxian trading house. Then King Irovetti came to power in Pitax, and property started changing hands. Soon after, the cellar's shop assistant was found in a ditch — not all of him, mind, just his head. Numerian gangsters had taken possession of the place. They wanted to sell something stronger than wine on the street — and they ended up on the gallows. Then King Irovetti's number was up. So now the store stands empty and unclaimed. People say that a headless ghost wanders the place at night, moaning ghoulishly: 'Ooooh...'"

The vampire priest tavern keeper gives you a possibly haunted wine cellar to check out.

[Show Radiance to Joran] Do you recognize this sword?
:dota101: "Do I recognize it? Of course I do! I made this with my own hands! There's my brand, see?" (The dwarf carefully takes the sword in his hands, gazing at it like a doting father.) "Oh, Yaniel, things have been tough without you. But at least we've still got your sword. That's something. (Joran returns the sword to you.) "In battle, ordinary swords get blunted, they break. But sometimes, a weapon can preserve — I don't even know how to explain it, I'm no authority on these things — but something like, an echo of the deeds done with that weapon. Or more like, the reflection of the wielder's soul? I don't know. I will say one thing: take care of that sword. Yaniel may no longer be with us, but the demons will still remember why they need to turn tail and run when they see Radiance! Och, the scabbard's all worn... We can't be having a fine sword like this being carried around in this tatty thing. I'll make you a new one, if you like. If the city stands strong and we both survive, come see me again and I'll have it ready. No charge!"
"If you don't mind my asking, I'm new to the region and no one's given me the whole story. How was Staunton Vhane responsible for the fall of Drezen?"
:dota101: "I've told this story so many times already... Well, telling it one more time won't kill me." (The blacksmith sighs.) "Drezen was built after the First Crusade — back when it seemed like victory was ours for the taking, and that the demon invasion would soon be at an end. The population of old Sarkoris was thoroughly diminished, and many of them hoped to see their hard fighting repaid with a small plot of unclaimed land. Drezen was a fortress built on all our hopes — and on Mendev's ambitions, though you're not supposed to say that out loud.
:dota101: "What a city it was, Yua... You can't even imagine. It was built by the finest engineers from the Five Kings Mountains. Queen Galfrey spared no expense — Drezen was meant to be the capital of the crusade movement, a monument to its glory and a beacon of hope for all Golarion. Heroes were drawn there to seek fame and glory, and they came from all over — Taldor, Garund, Tian Xia, I couldn't list them all. A relic known as the Sword of Valor was kept there — the banner that had been carried into battle by Iomedae herself, back when she was still human. That banner protected the city and kept the demons from teleporting inside its walls. As long as the banner was in its place, Drezen was invincible — or so we thought.
:dota101: "But then the Worldwound suddenly expanded. The demons launched a new onslaught and folk started saying it was time to declare the Second Crusade. Drezen was unassailable... until one young officer was tempted by a beautiful woman. She convinced him that the banner shouldn't be hanging in the city, that its rightful place was on the battlefield. She whispered honeyed words about glory and valor, and convinced him that he could be a hero as great as Iomedae herself... And the poor fool believed her. He rounded up some of his hot-headed friends and carried the banner outside the city gates on an unauthorized foray. The demons slaughtered them within seconds — but for some reason the courageous ringleader was spared. A whole army teleported into Drezen, it was a bloodbath..." (Joran solemnly shakes his head.) "As you can guess, that officer was called Staunton Vhane. And the woman turned out to be a demon. Not just any demon — it was Minagho, that foul wretch. She's given us a lot of grief here in Kenabres too... Just don't ask me what I was doing while my brother was off having trysts with that beast, and why I didn't save him from his own stupidity." (The blacksmith gestures as if to ward off the inevitable reprobation.) "Who could've guessed it would end like this? I've failed my brother, that's the truth. I blame myself every day, looking at his plight... So that's the story."
"I'm truly sorry, Joran, but thank you for telling me. I'll be sure to give Minagho the Crusade's regards the next time we meet."

So that's the story of Staunton Vhane and the fall of Drezen. Make of it what you will, we haven't seen the last of Staunton or Minagho.

Note the hint about Radiance. Assuming Yua saves Kenabres, Joran will be able to upgrade Radiance.

Next time, Yua ventures out into Kenabres proper.

To recap, she has four primary objectives:

1. Investigate the cultist hideout at the Tower of Estrod.

2. Rescue the Storyteller from the Blackwing Library.

3. Discover a secret route into the Gray Garrison.

4. Rescue as many friendly forces as possible.

At stake? The linchpin of the Wardstone barrier network containing the growth of the Worldwound.

The enemy? The cults of demon lords Baphomet and Deskari, commanded by the lilitu Minagho. Deskari himself may still be present, current whereabouts are unknown.

The heroes? A free-spirited paladin, a sociopathic serial killer, a mongrel crusader from the not-Underdark, a common thief, and a bard with mysterious connections to powers both heavenly and fell.

Not the most unlikely band facing the worst odds I've ever heard of, but certainly in the conversation.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I checked the local priest's inventory in my game in chapter 2 and he has 3(!) atonement scrolls so you'll get access to them eventually. You aren't going to drop out of alignment this early no matter how cross purposes you get with it so it should be fine.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Scrolls of Remove Disease and Remove Poison are a good get early in the game, though a paladin can gain a Mercy to remove those with Lay on Hands.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I guess they didn't feel the need to include Atonement scrolls this early, since you'd actually have to be trying REALLY hard to go against your alignment in order to change it in Chapter 1, if it's even possible to gain enough points to do so in the first place.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

You probably have your own way through but I'd like to post a guide that was told to me on the Owlcat discord.

Woljif questline for Finnean
Market
Work your way up to top left to do Pitaxian Cellar then Blackwing Library
Go bottom right to Tower of Estrod and the optional encounter just above it (I forget the name)
Then go Daeran > Gwerm Mansion > Optional Encounter > Irabeth Home
You will likely encounter the guard to call you back on your way back to the tavern after that for the tavern defense encounter
Then go mop up the bonus encounters in market
Then its time for Grey Garrison

Doing this, and getting Companion you won't be getting, helped me a lot in getting through Act 1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Please chill. I'm familiar with this game and will proceed at my own pace.

If I want advice I'll ask for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Poor Staunton. He hosed up badly, yeah, but really just the once. He needs to join a player character and go gently caress up a lot more but have it turn out technically for the better.