Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah like Orange Devil said XP increases are just very slightly delaying the time until you get it up and running to the second or third scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Campaign expansion was supposed to be out today but whether you can get it seems to be luck of the draw, here in the UK none of the places that know their poo poo game wise and are communicative got it, to the people who had it ordered from them, they're saying they have no idea when to expect it, one of the places I used to order from before they got rid of free delivery and jacked up their prices is saying 1st of April potentially, hoping that's pure placeholder conjecture. Bit annoying with how long it's taken already and apparently no communication from the company is pretty piss poor (maybe it's standard from Asmodee, I had pretty good customer support the two times I've had to get replacement stuff from them. Shipping stuff might be a different kettle of fish though).

Hopefully those of you in the US have better luck. Must admit it's a bit galling seeing people in the discord I'm in who got it from places breaking street date or whatever weeks ago saying they've "finally finished it" in their reports, like spending a week playing it weeks before the vast majority of players have even had the opportunity to buy it was some arduous ordeal. Might just be in a salty mood though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They unlocked all the secrets, you haven’t, you have more fun in front of you.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Campaign expansion was supposed to be out today but whether you can get it seems to be luck of the draw, here in the UK none of the places that know their poo poo game wise and are communicative got it, to the people who had it ordered from them, they're saying they have no idea when to expect it, one of the places I used to order from before they got rid of free delivery and jacked up their prices is saying 1st of April potentially, hoping that's pure placeholder conjecture. Bit annoying with how long it's taken already and apparently no communication from the company is pretty piss poor (maybe it's standard from Asmodee, I had pretty good customer support the two times I've had to get replacement stuff from them. Shipping stuff might be a different kettle of fish though).

Hopefully those of you in the US have better luck. Must admit it's a bit galling seeing people in the discord I'm in who got it from places breaking street date or whatever weeks ago saying they've "finally finished it" in their reports, like spending a week playing it weeks before the vast majority of players have even had the opportunity to buy it was some arduous ordeal. Might just be in a salty mood though.

Mine's showing up Monday. To me it seems like there's always been a huge difference in how long it takes to get Arkham sets, and it's just luck of the draw when Team Covenant, Boardlandia, your LGS, etc. gets it to you and if they break street date. I was hoping to enjoy it this weekend, since Team Covenant's goal is to get it to you on release day (today), but I pulled the -5 token.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I spoke too soon, it came today! I played one real scenario, then another half of one, and came to the conclusion that I cannot play Kohaku and Kate together. Kohaku is a lot to remember. I got halfway through a second scenario and realized I hadn't been adding tokens that would have helped; my brain can't juggle that and deal with all the unique things this campaign throws around. I'm going to swap him for Parallel Agnes, who's got a whole lot of new toys this set.

Kate is kind of boring, she's just a +2 machine. Tinker is an interesting upgrade for the hand slot starved Seeker class, however.

Edit: If I had to pinpoint it, I'd say I don't like the asset-heavy playstyle. Same thing with slow powers in Spirit Island. Let me hit the ground running or I don't feel like I'm doing anything and I'm frustrated/bored.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 25, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’re not the only one to botch Koh. we went through a campaign and nearly finish it before realizing we were using blasphemous covenant and still removing the curses.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm in the same boat in the UK, can't find anything with a hard date earlier than April, and don't want to order from anywhere that doesn't say exactly when I'll get it.

Annoying, but it gives me a chance to finish the current run I was on before I put it down and never returned to it as well as get some impressions on the campaign and a few more deck concepts to mull over.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I don't normally go out my way to recommend a specific shop or anything and I am in no way affiliated with them, but I've got nothing but good praises for Gameslore in the UK.
I met the team at a couple of UK Games Expos and they were genuinely nice people with a really good business.

https://gameslore.com/acatalog/PR-Arkham-Horror-LCG-The-Feast-Of-Hemlock-Vale-Campaign-Expansion.html#SID=47

Have a look, I'd recommend anyone gives them a go. They aren't the cheapest if you shop around, but their customer service and speed of delivery is really second to none other I've used.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

I'm in the same boat in the UK, can't find anything with a hard date earlier than April, and don't want to order from anywhere that doesn't say exactly when I'll get it.

Annoying, but it gives me a chance to finish the current run I was on before I put it down and never returned to it as well as get some impressions on the campaign and a few more deck concepts to mull over.

Yeah, I reckon it'll be a few weeks at least, as you say it is a bit annoying. I think anywhere that has ordered it will probably just get it at a roughly similar time at this point, it's presumably the shipping issue that everyone is dealing with and the shipments are likely all together right now, hence the holdup.

I'm mainly irritated because I kinda budgeted out all of this in January when it was supposed to be the investigator box in January and the campaign in mid Feb, didn't do a couple things because I'm trying to be a little bit more frugal (working in the games industry will do that right now) and then like, March is jam packed with cool games and if they're just going to come out on time when expected, I can just buy those instead.

If mainland Europe gets it before us for whatever reason, I'd recommend De Spelvogel in Belgium, I ordered the Scarlet Keys campaign box from them when it got delayed last minute back when that came out, I think I ordered it when the delay got announced which was 2 days before it was "supposed" to come out in the UK and it arrived on the Tuesday the next week, it was slated to be a couple weeks delay but I think it ended up being closer to a month. Think it cost something like a fiver more than it'd have cost from somewhere in the UK but that was just for delivery, which was worth it at the time, might be more now though. I'll consider it when/if it is available there first, people seem to be loving the campaign more than TSK, now how I square that with wanting to be frugal, I'm not sure.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 25, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kaffo posted:

I don't normally go out my way to recommend a specific shop or anything and I am in no way affiliated with them, but I've got nothing but good praises for Gameslore in the UK.
I met the team at a couple of UK Games Expos and they were genuinely nice people with a really good business.

https://gameslore.com/acatalog/PR-Arkham-Horror-LCG-The-Feast-Of-Hemlock-Vale-Campaign-Expansion.html#SID=47

Have a look, I'd recommend anyone gives them a go. They aren't the cheapest if you shop around, but their customer service and speed of delivery is really second to none other I've used.

Thanks for the rec, I'll bookmark it to keep and eye on. I don't want to just order it from Amazon.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah, I reckon it'll be a few weeks at least, as you say it is a bit annoying. I think anywhere that has ordered it will probably just get it at a roughly similar time at this point, it's presumably the shipping issue that everyone is dealing with and the shipments are likely all together right now, hence the holdup.

I'm mainly irritated because I kinda budgeted out all of this in January when it was supposed to be the investigator box in January and the campaign in mid Feb, didn't do a couple things because I'm trying to be a little bit more frugal (working in the games industry will do that right now) and then like, March is jam packed with cool games and if they're just going to come out on time when expected, I can just buy those instead.

If mainland Europe gets it before us for whatever reason, I'd recommend De Spelvogel in Belgium, I ordered the Scarlet Keys campaign box from them when it got delayed last minute back when that came out, I think I ordered it when the delay got announced which was 2 days before it was "supposed" to come out in the UK and it arrived on the Tuesday the next week, it was slated to be a couple weeks delay but I think it ended up being closer to a month. Think it cost something like a fiver more than it'd have cost from somewhere in the UK but that was just for delivery, which was worth it at the time, might be more now though. I'll consider it when/if it is available there first, people seem to be loving the campaign more than TSK, now how I square that with wanting to be frugal, I'm not sure.

Still better than the campaigns being drip-fed over months. I had to just skip A Phantom of Truth on my first run of Carcosa. I hadn't thought to order it from Europe, I assume that would still be in English?

Glad to hear people are liking the campaign. Scarlet Keys was the campaign I dropped. I get bad analysis paralysis so beat the first scenario and procrastinated on picking where to go long enough to essentially drop it. I picked it back up today and it took so drat long just to read and set everything up that it took over 2 hours just to play one scenario. So I hope Hemlock is a bit less complicated.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well you have to check when you order it, I believe the game does get translated into some other languages but yeah the place I mentioned there, it was in English.

From what it sounds like, this one is a lot quicker to get into doing Arkham stuff generally to a degree but you might still have some issues with it maybe? I have now looked up a little bit about it, the english campaign guide because I wanted to at least know a bit and I lack willpower. This is like, the mechanics/layout of the campaign, not what the plot is or anything, the first couple pages of the rules book essentially that tell you the mechanics and such but I'll still put it in a spoiler cause I assume some people have more willpower than me.

Apparently the campaign is ultimately taking place over 3 days and it's got some social elements, so on each day you do a prelude to the actual scenario, setting up the village locations and going around them in traditional Arkham fashion, but there's no mythos deck, you're just setting up your assets, drawing cards and choosing who to talk to/hang out with, there's relationship levels with the people on the island and the doom/agenda is acting as your timer, once it runs out, you keep what was in your hand at that point, drawing down to the max hand size, keep one asset in play and then go back to 5 resources and that's your starting state for the day scenarios. Just scanning the story stuff not actually reading it, the hanging out with the characters bits seems to be like a paragraph of text, shorter than the flashbacks in Innsmouth, for a comparison and the initial story text looked like way less than the prologues for Circle Undone, Edge of the Earth or Scarlet Keys. I didn't look further in than that though.

Slightly more detailed, stuff like the number of scenarios and such, this is also just in the first paragraph of the campaign guide and then in those initial pages.
There's 8 scenarios in the campaign but each given playthrough you'll play 6 of them, during the day you pick 1 from 5 places to go, each of those is an actual full scenario, then at night you do another shorter social thing that's just picking who you hang out with, none of the walking around stuff and then you can either do one of the 5 scenario areas that you haven't picked already and there's some other scenarios that can only be done at night too and it kinda escalates over the course of the 3 days, the rules say there's an encounter set for day 1, 2 and 3 and then night 1, 2 and 3 which presumably escalate in difficulty/scariness with nights just being tougher than days in general. Then who you hung out with will have some effects on stuff too and the days/nights affect that as well, different people being in different places around the island on different days.

You can tell why the designer called it the "Majoras Mask to Scarlet Keys Ocarina of Time" from that though. To me it sounds like they're continuing to experiment with what the new format allows them to do. It wouldn't surprise me if they kinda keep mixing it up cause it just makes sense, they've said they're already deep into designing the next campaign/investigator cycle when the current one is coming out so they can't really quickly respond to feedback. With that in mind, I would guess they'd kinda try and do something pretty different each time just so they aren't accidentally making a second go of something everyone hated, then if it turns out the playerbase really liked a thing, they can later pivot back to it.

Scarlet Keys feels to me like the most divisive campaign since Forgotten Age but I only got into the game with Edge of the Earth so that's just my impression, I don't think this campaign is a direct response to that but I also don't think they will go back to having a novella for every scenario and for a lot of optional bits either. I think the card budget for having 10 scenarios made some of them suffer a bit as well, I haven't done an actual comparison but just felt like there were fewer encounter sets and they were smaller or maybe I just didn't do scenarios where some of them were used at all, that's very possible now that I'm thinking about it.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 26, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

You can tell why the designer called it the "Majoras Mask to Scarlet Keys Ocarina of Time" from that though. To me it sounds like they're continuing to experiment with what the new format allows them to do. It wouldn't surprise me if they kinda keep mixing it up cause it just makes sense, they've said they're already deep into designing the next campaign/investigator cycle when the current one is coming out so they can't really quickly respond to feedback. With that in mind, I would guess they'd kinda try and do something pretty different each time just so they aren't accidentally making a second go of something everyone hated, then if it turns out the playerbase really liked a thing, they can later pivot back to it.

Scarlet Keys feels to me like the most divisive campaign since Forgotten Age but I only got into the game with Edge of the Earth so that's just my impression, I don't think this campaign is a direct response to that but I also don't think they will go back to having a novella for every scenario and for a lot of optional bits either. I think the card budget for having 10 scenarios made some of them suffer a bit as well, I haven't done an actual comparison but just felt like there were fewer encounter sets and they were smaller or maybe I just didn't do scenarios where some of them were used at all, that's very possible now that I'm thinking about it.

Oh yeah, this is great. The townsfolk get little blurbs when you visit them, but that's really it. There's no mountains of text, it's more like the asides when you flip over an act/agenda. I want to replay this immediately after I finish. I could see the daytime village parts getting old on replays. Setting up a scenario and tearing it down after 15 minutes to set up a new one after not fighting, barely taking an investigate test, hardly any tests at all, isn't going to be something I exactly look forward to when replaying it for the third time or beyond.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone made a custom blood-borne campaign. it’s super willpower focused, but we’re heading into scenario three and there’s already tons of creativity on display.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
How good would it be if you know nothing about Bloodbourne?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I know nothing about it and it’s been fun so far. We had to retry the first scenario though because Joe and Charlie were getting their rear end kicked. So did Sefina and Nacho. Zoey and Ursula made it through then stomped the second scenario.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

We just played The Witching Hour (first scenario in The Circle Undone).
Holy poo poo, is it supposed to be that hard?

3 of us on standard basically did not have a chance to actually win. I think if we designed characters and knew the scenario before hand we might be able to do it, but it seems real difficult for 0 XP investigators.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s a surprise. Some of the scenarios are easier or harder. No other ones do the split gimmick.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Circle Undone is very difficult. I wonder if it’s better to specialize or flex through it, overall, as a party of 3.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Witching Hour in particular is much better suited for flex characters with everyone starting separated and it's more of an option to just beat the boss asap so their ability can't trigger and royally gently caress you, which is how I've beaten it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It's a lot easier when you know what's coming. If you hoard 1-per-player extra clues before advancing to when the Goat Spawns show up, then advance again immediately, it allows the fighty characters to come rescue the non-fighty characters, and that makes the middle of the scenario a LOT easier. And it depends a lot on what investigators you bring; a Daisy Walker with zero enemy-handling tech is going to struggle if you're unlucky to get an enemy during the separation phase, but an Ursula Downs can keep on clueing just fine with an occasional dodge. So on your second playthrough of the campaign, you make sure your Daisy deck has some Mind over Matter or whatever to get you through the separation, or you play a book-footer as your cluever, or you play all flex characters, or whatever.

The boss fight at the end can be challenging but usually the easiest thing to do is have the fightiest, damage-soakiest character drag the boss out of the center and maybe die and have everyone else rush the center and slam all their clue tech. IIRC it's 2 per player? Not too difficult. You can kill the boss too; she has a lot of hp but it's doable. The Return To TCU version of the scenario has a third option that's a loooot harder to do.

The real motherfucker in that scenario (and in other scenarios where the encounter set shows up) is the Priestess of the Coven from the witches encounter set. If she shows up at the wrong time, you're hosed, especially a 0xp party. Dynamite is a good card to bring to TCU just for this lady.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I was lucky enough to get my copy of FHV on release day and I just finished my blind run-through on Standard. Here's a quick trip report:

Non-spoiler content: I loved it. It's much better than TSK, probably better than EotE but its new expansion smell might be colouring my opinion right now. All I know is I really want to dive right back into it and explore it more.

I played Wilson and Patrice. Wilson was a big surprise, he's a lot of fun and actually pretty effective. My guiding principle for both decks was "let's try out this new card" and it was really fun to play with all the tools. Pitchfork is good, Microscope is good if you can get it out early but probably not better than Fingerprint Kit, especially FPK (4) which I'll try next time. But yeah, Wilson's +1 on tool tests goes a long way to making him viable and probably makes him a great flex, but I focused more on fighting. Chainsaw + Cleaning Kit (4) is very good, and his signature, Ad Hoc, is excellent and his best trick by far, but he doesn't have any way to tutor it. You also can't tutor Tinker, which is the card you need to open up his hand slots. That's his biggest weakness I think, the hand slot jam. I don't really like Tool Belt either and probably won't take it next time.

For Patrice, I played a Mind's Eye build but I didn't like it. Also, I played the first four scenarios before realizing her deck size was 42, not 30. I was thinking "drat, she really cycles her deck fast!" I fixed that up and kept playing, and her gimmick definitely takes some thought. This deck was a huge mess but I have some ideas for the rerun. Hunting Jacket was pretty cool; I had a plan to put Trial by Fire (3) and Nothing Left to Lose under it to fuel a big turn by popping Bide Your Time on the previous turn (costs two actions to play but gives you two extra actions on the next turn) but it was impossible to plan for BYT, and it was also hard to bust the jacket to get the cards on-demand because it has to be defeated for you to draw them so you can't just play another jacket. I tried a silly idea with Mysterious Raven and the Rod of Animalism but something like Painkillers/Smoking Pipe would be a lot more reliable. Miss Doyle was fun to play with too (I'd never played her before) and Cornered works well with Persistence (one wild icon, can commit it from your discard then it gets shuffled into your deck). The jacket is probably just better used to save stuff you don't want to discard, or to get a spontaneous boost to your cards in hand. It's a great resource generator too.

Light spoiler content (description of campaign structure and unique mechanics): thebardyspoon covered this already so I'll just quickly say, there are eight scenarios but you can only play six per campaign. The time mechanic consists of three days where you play one scenario during the day and then another during the night, with various mechanics/abilities changing with the day/night status. At the start of each day you get a Prelude which consists of the village locations only (no encounter deck) and you can move around and trigger abilities on each location which will direct you to read codex entries. They usually spawn one of the Resident allies, which you can then spend actions on to trigger more codex entries and build up your relationship with them (0-6, with higher levels unlocking benefits during the campaign). They're like the EotE allies in that they'll sometimes join you for scenarios, but they don't die if you get defeated, you just lower their friendship level (there are ways for them to permanently disappear but they're all narrative/resolution based).

At the end of each prelude you discard down to five cards and five resources, and you get to keep one asset in play. This is how you begin the following scenario; you don't draw a new hand or do a mulligan.

Most of the scenarios' locations are laid out in a grid, with adjacency being left-to-right, top-to-bottom. I don't know if it was done like that for clarity (to reduce the overall complexity of the scenarios) or because it fits narratively with the idea that you're conducting a scientific survey, but it actually works really well and each scenario I did felt really good.

Full spoilers: I chose The Thing in the Depths as my first scenario because it sounded like the most dangerous and hmm, a 20HP enemy that heals regularly, yep! That's some heavy poo poo right off the bat! I had no way of making a dent in it so I avoided it and kept on plugging through the scenario and the friendly mutant turtle thing spawned and it seemed like escorting it back to the start through hostile territory was probably the most difficult resolution to pull off, so that's what I set my mind too. With a bit of luck I managed to get it done, and it felt like a major win because it seemed like it could only be done on the first day (I didn't read the alternative entries though).

For the first night I stuck with Dr Marquez because it felt like the "story" path, but I'm real curious about going off to do a random scenario at night and having to add two new symbol tokens to the bag for the rest of the campaign. This one was The Twisted Hollow, where you have to search the forest to find Bertie. I got the good lantern from Mother Rachel (goddamn is she a sinister one - you just know she's full of poo poo right from the start but you can develop your relationship with her like the other residents so I wonder where that leads) and I decided to cozy up to Judith every chance I got, and she came in real handy on this adventure. When I read the narrative bit about her blasting the mutant bear elite I thought "oh cool, I bet she took of most of its HP" but no, she only did one damage... I didn't manage to kill it in the end because Wilson decided to pack his Fire Extinguisher before his Chainsaw, and when Bertie made his heroic sacrifice I was sure he'd be dead but then, oh, he appeared back in town and he was just fine. Yep, he was juuuust fine...

On the second day I did The Lost Sister, where you search around the caverns for the missing Peters family member. Its day/night mechanic was really cool, with the locations doing different things depending upon whether they were in the dark or not. I got a good result from this one by defeating the monster at the end, but I feel like I got pretty lucky with the two locations you needed to find to be able to advance the act beforehand.

On the second night I stayed with Dr Marquez again, so this one was The Longest Night. This one has an awesome design, like top ten easily, but holy mother of lol, I had no loving chance. I even started over after a quick wipe just for interests' sake, but I got steamrolled again. This is the scenario I can't stop thinking about, and I'm thinking it would've been great fun with a beast of a fighter like Mark or Nathaniel, but then there's all those mobs that only take one damage per hit. If you're reading this without having played it, imagine ten locations laid out in a cross pattern with a farmhouse in the middle and a 10HP story asset that you have to protect.

Each tip of the cross is an Outer Fields location, and there is a separate deck containing 15 special enemies (the only ones in the scenario) which you draw from during the mythos phase (one per investigator, so two spawn each round). They have N/S/E/W Outer Fields spawn locations and they patrol towards the farmhouse, but you can slow them down by spending clues to set traps, decoys and barriers. Barriers are like from that Innsmouth scenario where you place a resource token between locations and they cancel an enemy move. Decoys are sanity tokens you place on a location and they deal one damage and exhaust the mob that enters, and traps do two damage when one enters (I laughed when I realized I could bait Patrice's weakness into play and kill it with a trap). But some enemies are immune to barriers, some are immune to decoys, and some are immune to traps. And the elite mutant bear from the forest is back and begins at one of the Outer Fields at the start of the game. The doom clock is ten, and you win by surviving until the agenda advances. Oh, and doom on cards other than the agenda subtracts from the total so you can't cheese it.

Anyway, like I said, I failed miserably and the captives died.

On day three I went to the haunted mansion. This was Hemlock House, and the locations here are also enemies; they begin as locations but various effects cause them to flip over to their enemy/location side. You can attack and "kill" a location, which puts it in the victory display and causes the ones above it to collapse down (the house has three levels plus a one-location attic, oh and a cellar which spawns for the final act). Wilson going to work with his Chainsaw was extremely thematic here! I got a good result but I was one point away from the best result, where if you "seal" (use clues) or destroy eight location/enemies you get bonus XP. I was at seven!

The third night is the finale and it has a very complex setup, much like the other final scenarios in the game. My decks were both pretty terrible but it did seem to me to be very difficult. It's definitely not a victory lap like TSK's, and I didn't actually get to the point where you advance the first act. I restarted once just to explore it a bit more (and because I made a big mistake during setup) and yeah, I'm going to need much better optimized decks to get through it.

One final note: there is actually an achievement for finishing the campaign as Patrice. I didn't know this going into it, and I saw a comment on the Discord from Duke yesterday about Patrice having a very hard time. I was wondering exactly what he was talking about (I didn't click on the spoiler text) because I somehow had managed to avoid a particular treachery until the final scenario. I think I avoided the other main one where it's used in the game, but it's basically this: "put this into play in your threat area. If you have no cards in your hand, discard it and take five horror." Yowzer!

Final final note: End of the Road actually seems like it could be good here since each prelude only has a single agenda, and The Longest Night only has one agenda as well. Putting them under a Hunting Jacket and busting them out when the final agenda appears for the other scenarios might not be terrible either.

I'm going back in with Wilson and Patrice now that I have a better idea of how to build them. New Expansion Time is a real treat, and I really hope we don't have to wait another year for the next one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Patrice is an amazing support, because she can use promise of power and last chance multiple times per game.
Her biggest problem is finding ways to play assets. If you’re using her core sigs, you really want ever vigilant/motivational speech from your allies.
In the online investigator expansion pack, her violin is replaced with “songs to the moon”, which allows you to play (for one less action) a card that you discard during a skill test (once per round). It makes sense because cornered is the best two xp she can.

I really scratched my head trying to make a pure fighter build for Sister Mary… but then I realized it was too close to my Zoey build anyway. Even with the Wolf mask, having a three instead of a five in fight feels stressful for a primary fighter I think I’m gonna build a Wilson as well to pair with a clue Alessandra.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

To the above posters, thank you for justifying our loss. Hopefully scenario 2 will be kinder

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, getting her assets onto the table was a big issue. My next build is going to go lighter on them and I'll drop the Sparrow Mask too since I didn't feel like it was doing much for me anyway. The Wolf Mask felt good for Wilson, especially while his deck was level zero, which is a particularly rough time for him.

Also regarding Patrice, I should've separated this bit out of my main spoiler section... (single encounter card spoiler) There is actually an achievement for finishing the campaign as Patrice. I didn't know this going into it, and I saw a comment on the Discord from Duke yesterday about Patrice having a very hard time in this campaign. I was wondering exactly what he was talking about (I didn't click on the spoiler text) because I somehow had managed to avoid a particular treachery until the final scenario. I think I avoided the other main one where it's used in the game, but it's basically this: "put this into play in your threat area. If you have no cards in your hand, discard it and take five horror." Time to put Ward of Protection and Deny Existence back into the deck!

I might actually try double Stand Together (3) for Wilson too, not sure yet. The reason being, when Patrice gets both Cornereds onto the table she can run out of resources very quickly. At a Crossroads was really good for getting an extra action on her to do something, but at the cost of discarding another card it strained her resources even more. I took Take Heart out of the deck early on too but I'm thinking it should go back in because she does fail a lot of treacheries so it's a good way to get more cards to do things with.

And am I crazy for wanting to put the Survivor Grisly Totem (3) in as well? She has too many good options for the accessory slot so I'm not sure, but it can be used on Take Heart (it returns the card when you fail the test) and getting the extra icon on all her other commits seems good (both totems are good but the Seeker one is unquestionably much better).

And yeah, Last Chance is a great card for her and fun to play, and it's particularly good in (possibly big spoiler) the finale, where you get an ability that lets you double the icons on a card you commit to a test.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished Dogs of War v1.

What a miserable goddamn slog of a scenario. I hosed up the rules and fought the Beast the whole scenario and it was still really boring and easy, though I suppose thats why it took so long. Kymani just sat on him and evaded him every turn. I can see why people are very divided on this campaign. I'm really liking the story but I never want to play that scenario again.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 28, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So while waiting for Hemlock to be available in the UK, I figured I'd play Edge of the Earth 2 handed solo. I read an article by an Arkham content creator type that made me want to play a Winifred deck with sled dogs and some other stuff I've not played with yet. It's a flex deck that seems like it'll probably be good enough, I was at a bit of a loss as to who else to play and thought I might give a Luke deck a go.

Found it a bit harder to do though, not sure whether to just go all in on willpower or go half and half on the seeker/mystic stuff and just have him use what's best in the moment, I've also tried to chuck some stuff I've not used in it, like I wanna try the dream of testing sprint from the dream portal and stuff like Truth From Fiction seems like it could work with some of the secrets on the assets you get (I have been spoiled on that) but it feels like it will probably not have the money it needs? Spectral Razor and Read the Signs I have used so I could definitely be open to replacing those too, I'd have upgraded them probably though.

Luke = https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/3620860

Winifred = https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/3526009

Nephthys posted:

Just finished Dogs of War v1.

What a miserable goddamn slog of a scenario. I hosed up the rules and fought the Beast the whole scenario and it was still really boring and easy, though I suppose thats why it took so long. Kymani just sat on him and evaded him every turn. I can see why people are very divided on this campaign. I'm really liking the story but I never want to play that scenario again.

Did you just ride it out for the entire time? I don't remember which version of it I played but there was way to end it earlier for me by going into one of the buildings on the left of the map, gave me an option to do something that I recall making it a lot quicker. It has been a year so the details elude me. I remember feeling it was a mid tier scenario though. Shades of Suffering and Dancing Mad were two that I really hated

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 28, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Did you just ride it out for the entire time? I don't remember which version of it I played but there was way to end it earlier for me by going into one of the buildings on the left of the map, gave me an option to do something that I recall making it a lot quicker. It has been a year so the details elude me. I remember feeling it was a mid tier scenario though. Shades of Suffering and Dancing Mad were two that I really hated

Yeah, reading the card the Bourse can be used to remove the doom from locations and cards but I assumed that since it says the doors are secure that meant I couldn't enter, but looking at it again that might just apply to enemies. So I kind of just sat there twiddling my thumbs for 16 turns.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

For Patrice accessories, I don’t think anything beats double moonstone. Zero cost in actions to play.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Anyone got their copy of hemlock in canada? My 401 copy still hasnt moved

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Finished Hemlock Vale. I had a bad time, only getting 20 XP over the course of it, which is very low. It's not a spoiler to say much more was available. In my opinion, there are a lot of things you need to know before you start, or the campaign will be brutally hard even on normal. Not as bad as the book face check in Dunwich, more on par with the usual tip for The Forgotten Age.

1. You need a plan to deal with aloof enemies and other enemies that don't want to be killed. Between aloof and elusive, you don't want to be spending a full turn just chasing down and engaging (not even killing) these. The maps aren't big enough to simply move away from those kinds of aloof hunter enemies that turn on you when something common happens.

2. There are a more than average number of elite enemies. If you're thinking about playing cards that have a non-Elite clause, consider if the card is good enough even if there are never any non-Elites. Most of those sat in my hand or committed to skill tests before I managed to upgrade out of the useless cards. The elites are also beefy, so you need to be able to evade, soak, or otherwise nullify their attacks while you whittle them down.

3. A big chunk of the XP comes from making friends around town. The lore text is short, but full of hints about who wants what. I made a mistake picking options and scenarios that sounded cool rather than following an NPC's quest line, but the one I did follow led to some good rewards. I should have done more.

Separating this one because it's more of a spoiler about a specific encounter set

4. There are encounter cards that force you to discard from your hand, and ones that really hurt you when you discard. It's the same way Dunwich hurt you for milling. Pack some card draw and consider mulliganing your random basic weakness if you pull Amnesia. Patrice would be Nightmare difficulty.

I think it's a really, really good campaign. The things the designers pulled with the mechanics of the LCG really had me gasping. I always like how Arkham designers will take something that didn't quite work in an earlier campaign and try to make a better version of it with a new twist, and that happens a lot here. It doesn't feel like a rehash at all, it's so clever and new. Make sure you pay attention to the rules and setup instructions for each scenario, they can be a lot, but it all clicks into place once you start playing.

I'm going to retry the campaign now that I know the tips above, and I like knowing that even then it's going to be a challenge and I still will have much more to experience in a third run through.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Thanks for the write-up, LifeLynx. I like knowing a little about how to lean for deck construction before starting a campaign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I got a sense that with so many investigators having aloof/elusive weaknesses that it would come up. Ofreda seemed like a weird card to include if it wasn’t going to trigger in every scenario.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

I got a sense that with so many investigators having aloof/elusive weaknesses that it would come up. Ofreda seemed like a weird card to include if it wasn’t going to trigger in every scenario.

Yeah the clues were all there, I just didn't pay attention. They wouldn't introduce a keyword if they weren't planning on using it a lot.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I think it's a really, really good campaign. The things the designers pulled with the mechanics of the LCG really had me gasping. I always like how Arkham designers will take something that didn't quite work in an earlier campaign and try to make a better version of it with a new twist, and that happens a lot here. It doesn't feel like a rehash at all, it's so clever and new. Make sure you pay attention to the rules and setup instructions for each scenario, they can be a lot, but it all clicks into place once you start playing.

I'm going to retry the campaign now that I know the tips above, and I like knowing that even then it's going to be a challenge and I still will have much more to experience in a third run through.

Agreed on the design. A lot of scenario mechanics were familiar but everything felt fresh and novel in a way that was almost completely absent from TSK, and the overall design was a natural evolution/refinement of various bits from EotE and TSK. I appreciated the level of challenge too and I'm glad it wasn't just my loose decks colouring my impressions (though I'm sure that was still part of it). I'm going to begin my second run tonight and I'm planning to cover everything I didn't see the first time, which is a lot, I think, and it'll probably take a third run to really explore most of what's there.

When I first had to deal with Elusive I thought, oh cool, these mobs have built-in management because they exhaust when they run away so I don't have to worry about them. Buuut... that doesn't really work...

Which investigator did you settle on?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

Agreed on the design. A lot of scenario mechanics were familiar but everything felt fresh and novel in a way that was almost completely absent from TSK, and the overall design was a natural evolution/refinement of various bits from EotE and TSK. I appreciated the level of challenge too and I'm glad it wasn't just my loose decks colouring my impressions (though I'm sure that was still part of it). I'm going to begin my second run tonight and I'm planning to cover everything I didn't see the first time, which is a lot, I think, and it'll probably take a third run to really explore most of what's there.

When I first had to deal with Elusive I thought, oh cool, these mobs have built-in management because they exhaust when they run away so I don't have to worry about them. Buuut... that doesn't really work...

Which investigator did you settle on?

I finished with Kohaku and Kate, I really didn't want to not see the story through even though I got the worst ending. Defeated in act 1 lol. Kohaku is really good as long as he gets his book or Favor of the Moon, preferably both.

Investigators I think would work well:

Parallel Agnes - A lot of Mystic events do better against non-Elites, true. But she has infinite of them, and a lot of those events compress actions against aloof by auto-engaging or straight up dealing testless damage.

Zoey with Riot Whistle - Paid to engage. It's not as good as swarm enemies, but she's going to be more than modestly wealthy. Her Cross will help against odd-health elusive enemies before she upgrades to something that can deal 3 damage.

Alessandra - Of all the Hemlock investigators, she's probably the best suited for the campaign. Plenty of parley, not even just in the preludes where you can probably get more story than anyone else. Lots of enemies around so she can blackmail mutated deer and such. She's perfect and I'm playing her next for sure.

Trish - With the taboo, she can't auto-evade Elites, but she can suck up clues at locations with aloof enemies, hopefully closing out the scenario before they become a major problem.

William Yorick - Cares the least about discard effects, has the tools to survive against the worst treacheries. New tools in the investigator expansion. I'm biased, he's my favorite.

Amina Zidane - If there's any campaign she'd be good in, it's one without Ancient Evils. I also felt like there was less pressure with doom on the agendas. The difficulty is in the encounter cards, not doom threshold. Funny she came out in TSK where most scenarios were a race against the clock.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I reckon I'll play Alessandra and Kohaku in it, unless it takes truly ages and I play them in another campaign before I can. Got Final Fantasy distracting me for the next week or so at least.

I started Edge of the Earth with those two decks I posted yesterday, went better than I imagined, came out the gate swinging and got 8 XP in the opening scenario, picked up 4 of the optional things and killed the big monster... just about. It has cost me in frost tokens and I suspect I'll take an awkward/non optimal route through, that's what a first play is for I suppose.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
hey so i just recently started playing this and am gonna tuck into dunwich soon.

are there any spoiler-free heads ups i should know about going in?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

mikeycp posted:

hey so i just recently started playing this and am gonna tuck into dunwich soon.

are there any spoiler-free heads ups i should know about going in?

Bring high intellect and an encounter cancel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s a low XP campaign. There’s one treachery that deals 10 damage when you go through your deck, so you need ways to deal with the encounter deck and mitigate it. (Alter fate and cards that discard encounter cards from play are good but there’s no level zero ones.)

The sixth scenario is so boring/random a lot of people skip it or revise it heavily, look to my previous post in this thread about it.

If you’re not playing return, you absolutely need someone who can investigate well with basic investigates. That was replaced with return to, where that location that says investigate just requires you to get clues now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

good point- I always give everyone an extra XP per scenario in Dunwich. Not necessary, but I think everyone has more fun when the power level is a little higher than it permits.