Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Quackles posted:

AITA For not telling my (ex) girlfriend that I was breastfed until I was five?

NTA. Mom is a certified weirdo though. That's a very late age to stop, which on it's own doesn't mean much, but having a special photo album for the whole 'journey'? Willing to bet she didn't keep a dedicated photo journal of daiper changes or haircuts or solid food transition or anything else about a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh haha they literally just want their little unusable piece of land instead of a % of a sale? That's nuts

Land makes people crazy. Inheritance makes people crazy. LAND INHERITANCE? Absolutely nuts, and it just kept happening. Saying "You all want to sell, it would be cheaper to sell it and get a percentage, you'd end up with more money" only worked exactly once, and we were startled when it did.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Sounds like a good setup for a sitcom. Four siblings divide the family home into equal parts with crazy results! Sandy has to pass through the DMZ between Fred's living room and Bill's 3/4 share of the main hallway to get to the bathroom. Eliza implements border controls around the kitchen and makes a play for full control by instituting martial law over the entire house. Will Eliza succeed in her bid for power? Will Sandy finish the visa application process before the inevitable occurs? Stay tuned!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like whoever gets the front door automatically wins

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

haveblue posted:

I feel like whoever gets the front door automatically wins

The first episode would be about the others creating elaborate entranceways through walls/using tunnels/etc.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Larry Cum Free posted:

Whoa careful there, dude. That's a slippery slope toward having to give a poo poo about your family and what goes on in your house!

Hey now. He signed the birth certificate!

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

My mom was one of 12 kids, and after her mom died there was all this drama about grandma’s pearl necklace. The family never had much money, but she had an old and classy pearl necklace that had been handed down a few generations. Many of the women in the family wore it on their wedding day.

Since people couldn’t agree who it would go to, most of them wanted to break it into pieces and keep a pearl or two. My mom and one or two other siblings thought it was terrible to destroy the necklace for this, but my mom just wanted to keep out of the drama. I agreed with her though. A nice necklace is more than the sum of its parts. Who cares about a random loose pearl? Though I suppose you could repurpose them for other jewelry…

I don’t know what ended up happening. I only got updates about it from my mom, so after she passed I stopped hearing about it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Splitting pawpaw’s mint condition ‘68 Mustang into parts, Bobby gets the tires, Johnny gets the engine, etc etc

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Elfface posted:

NTA. Mom is a certified weirdo though. That's a very late age to stop, which on it's own doesn't mean much, but having a special photo album for the whole 'journey'? Willing to bet she didn't keep a dedicated photo journal of daiper changes or haircuts or solid food transition or anything else about a baby.

Good thing his ex-girlfriend didn't find out Mom was also helping him go potty until 18

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Yoshi Wins posted:

My mom was one of 12 kids, and after her mom died there was all this drama about grandma’s pearl necklace. The family never had much money, but she had an old and classy pearl necklace that had been handed down a few generations. Many of the women in the family wore it on their wedding day.

Since people couldn’t agree who it would go to, most of them wanted to break it into pieces and keep a pearl or two. My mom and one or two other siblings thought it was terrible to destroy the necklace for this, but my mom just wanted to keep out of the drama. I agreed with her though. A nice necklace is more than the sum of its parts. Who cares about a random loose pearl? Though I suppose you could repurpose them for other jewelry…

I don’t know what ended up happening. I only got updates about it from my mom, so after she passed I stopped hearing about it.

drat thats some king solomon poo poo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AnoHito posted:

The first episode would be about the others creating elaborate entranceways through walls/using tunnels/etc.

I'm greenlighting this

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Because it's THEIR LAND. It happens all the time, everyone wants THEIR PIECE of the parcel. It'll be unsellable, but it's theirs. I guess developers know this is a thing, because if the land sells, it's always one of them snapping up all the pieces at once. But it's such a waste when they could have not had to hire a surveyor to subdivide it first! It drove me crazy.

The best is when they divide it, and the person who gets the essential part like road access or something then just refuses to sell out of spite even if someone was dumb enough to buy up every other parcel.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Having a bunch of earrings and/or pendants made is not terribly expensive and not the worst thing to do for that. There are a hojillion pearl necklaces out there, truly, so unless it was a severe graduated natural pearl necklace it probably isn't that big of a deal.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

The best is when they divide it, and the person who gets the essential part like road access or something then just refuses to sell out of spite even if someone was dumb enough to buy up every other parcel.

Oh we often had them have to pay extra time for stuff like easements to make sure road access is included. or we'd have to cut it up particularly stupid to make sure everything touched the road. Depended on the planning zone. Stuff that wouldn't be a problem if they just sold the whole thing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Future (or already) estranged parent courtesy of Nextdoor:

quote:

Hi all
I want to ask how it’s possible one kid 16 years old he refuse to come home and say to police don’t feeling safe . When at home never bit him or something worse just because he want to living his gf house making story to police and police let him to stay there . I am so upset my son I don’t recognize him anymore. How I need to do now with him to call servici social or send him back to my country to same family ?! Help

OP comments:

quote:

I take from him everything mobile card nothing plus I tell to him to bring me the gold what I buy for him and ps4 plus the expensive clothes.. only him to realize better to family home then strangers house

quote:

we talk with him he don’t want school nothing not our home nothing. Just have fun and he says now he can do want he want . Like this I spoke with my family and if I Sing for servici social at least he I will go school and make his life and maybe when he’s 18 he will realize what he done I am just not feeling well all this days . I don’t believe it’s happening this to us when I never do nothing bad to him . Police told us it’s like this when kids are to much spoiled

quote:

I am working as officer prison and I happy with this sistem but I want my son safe in my home where I have love respect and everything. I don’t want stopping going to school or starting smoking weed and drugs and another thinks . Believe I have at my work only kids 18-21 with life in prison and this is not my future life for my son . Sorry if I don’t text properly but I am so disappointed about everything

bonus weird af comment from some random:

quote:

The danger is getting used to living for free, and take it for granted, not going to school is okeyish, if at least he works on something (other than hanky panky) .
Usually at 16 you like video games, if it’s on PC even better, try to bait him like that 99% of computer scientist got sucked into it through gaming, and now you have AI the new trend.
(Social services and involving police and stuff you know when it starts you never know how it end, and you must like paperwork and red tape. )
My worry is just the lack of interest in anything else but p*** which is legit at that age, but doesn’t have to disrupt the rest of your life.
There is plenty of online courses to learn AI, and it’s quite easy to get started, see if that interests him.
Make a deal with him, stay at your girl but get certified in something.
You can’t stop the water, you can only divert it in the right direction.
Just my 2 cents.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mushmouth posted:

Having a bunch of earrings and/or pendants made is not terribly expensive and not the worst thing to do for that. There are a hojillion pearl necklaces out there, truly, so unless it was a severe graduated natural pearl necklace it probably isn't that big of a deal.

Yeah it's a sentimental relic you can easily convert into something nice, and even if it wasn't a handful of pearls are worth a lot more than a 1/12 timeshare on a pearl necklace your worst sister is gonna break and lose half of first chance she gets anyway

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Midnight Voyager posted:

Land makes people crazy. Inheritance makes people crazy. LAND INHERITANCE? Absolutely nuts, and it just kept happening. Saying "You all want to sell, it would be cheaper to sell it and get a percentage, you'd end up with more money" only worked exactly once, and we were startled when it did.

Owning land is the american dream. It's real. It's tangible. You can visit it and look at it and think "this is gonna be worth something some day", and nobody can take it away from you. Reason flies out the window.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

In 1988 my grandparents bought my sister and I both a Skating Star edition Barbie because of the Calgary Olympics that were to stay in the packaging because "they're collectors items and will be worth a lot of money someday". My parents thought it would be hilarious to buy two more of them, open them, and have us play with them the next time we saw our grandparents. They did indeed lose their poo poo until they found out we still had the boxed pair in storage.

I have no clue where they are now, they were in my mom's closet for a while, and then I just never saw them again.

I looked up what they're selling for now. Roughky $40 CAD. If I still had mine, I could probably buy 3 meals at McDonalds!

This was a shockingly wholesome-sounding story!

IDK how you do it PP

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Elfface posted:

Maybe mom's a big fan of Little Britain.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WIBTAH if I kicked my brother and his family out for telling my daughter she shouldn't act like a who*e?

quote:

my brother is religious, he was having financial problems so my wife and I allowed him and his family to stay with us, Obviously that was a bad idea but I love him and couldn't let them and their kids be homeless, I'm considering doing this for two reasons.

Our son is gay and has a boyfriend, when my brother found out he wanted me to disown him and kick him out, I told him no, that's never going to happen, not only would my wife kick all of us out and divorce me if I did that, I was also not comfortable doing that to my boy. Obviously, there was nothing he could do, either him and his family become homeless, or they live with us and mind their business. I said you can leave if you want but don't tell me how to raise my son.

He didn't like that but chose to stay, however when my son brings his boyfriend over, he starts telling him that it's haram and that he's disgusting and shouldn't be doing that in front of his kids, I didn't find out about this until last week when my son finally told me, apparently this has been happening for over 4 years and my son finally had enough, he was teaching his cousin karate because he has a black belt and his uncle yelled at him to not touch his son because he's gay. He still hasn't told his mother because he knows she would have them sleeping in the streets, so he decided to tell me first because he's my brother.

for the second reason, he tells our daughter to cover up because he has 2 sons, first it was just him and now his wife also keeps making these comments, by the way our daughter is 12, and she wears comfortable clothes because she's at home, yes her clothes may be a little bit revealing but she's a child and it's her house. But I finally had enough when he told me that my daughter keeps acting like a who*e, and that she's a bad influence on his daughter, which is ridiculous because my daughter speaks 3 languages, she's the top of her class and she's hopefully going to be a top athlete.

My wife already wants them gone because of what they say about our daughter, but if I told her about this last thing and about what's happening with our son I'm sure she'll kick them out and their children immediately, but their kids have done nothing wrong so I feel very conflicted

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

I'm not sure I want to eat minty beans.

Content:

AITA For not telling my (ex) girlfriend that I was breastfed until I was five?

Ex is a weirdo for caring about this, mom is the biggest rear end in a top hat for bringing out that album around anyone other than immediate family.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Hughlander posted:

WIBTAH if I kicked my brother and his family out for telling my daughter she shouldn't act like a who*e?

Dudes the rear end in a top hat for not kicking them out already

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hughlander posted:

Sucks for the kids, but it's probably good for them to learn that their parents are gross homophobes and slutshamers and whatnot, and that behavior has consequences. I can not imagine having someone like that around my gay kid for a day, definitely not four years!!!

Like this dad is the rear end in a top hat, not for kicking family out but for making his kids deal with monsters for that long.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hughlander posted:

outsourcing abusing your kids, now that's pathetic

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Scathach posted:

Sucks for the kids, but it's probably good for them to learn that their parents are gross homophobes and slutshamers and whatnot, and that behavior has consequences. I can not imagine having someone like that around my gay kid for a day, definitely not four years!!!

Sure does, and like OP said, they did nothing to deserve this. But OP's kids doesn't deserve this poo poo daily for four loving years either.

Imagine the brainworms required for calling a 12-year-old a whore, jfc.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Elfface posted:

I'm in a couple of hoarding/hoarding-adjacent groups online and this isn't necessarily a hoarder thing but it's where I see people who are like "Oh I cry over the thought of giving up my child's baby clothes, I have the outfit they came home from the hospital in, their christening outfit, the outfit they wore the first time they met their grandparents, their first Halloween costume, their first Christmas outfit . . ." like, it's not really that important! There are ceremonial garments worn by infant royalty that have been preserved less carefully than these pieces of clothing! Is your child still alive? Then that's all you need to remember them when they were a baby!

Some people have a really hosed-up attachment to their child's baby years. Or to their child being a baby. If my mom had been like that I would have questioned how much she actually loved me as an adult.

Runcible Cat posted:

Future (or already) estranged parent courtesy of Nextdoor:

OP comments:

English may not be this person's first language, bo steal a joke from this article, they write like they don't have a first language.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hughlander posted:

“I could never kick my son out for being gay because my wife would divorce me” is a hell of a thing to type out and still think you’re a good guy.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Hughlander posted:

The OP's only comment is "But what about their kids?" MFer what about YOUR kids?

Maybe he can continue to live with (and support) his brother's family after his wife divorces him and gets full custody and the house.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I mean the dude is pretty clearly struggling with homophobia himself, or he would have kicked them out long before that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I mean tbf to the OP, being a homeless as a child is truly, truly terrible.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

“I could never kick my son out for being gay because my wife would divorce me” is a hell of a thing to type out and still think you’re a good guy.

Be fair, he'd be uncomfortable too

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hughlander posted:

OP is doing a bang up job protecting his kids by doing nothing and feeling uncomfortable about this whole mess.

AITA for banning my cousin from my gaming setup after he deleted my saves?

quote:

Need some outside views on this mess. I'm 28m, and my cousin "Jake" (22m) has been crashing at my place for a couple weeks. Money's tight for him, job hunting, the whole bit. I've got a decent gaming setup, which I'm pretty proud of – hours of work and not cheap either. Told Jake he could use it while I'm at work, no problem. I mean, we're family, right?

So, I've been deep into this one game for months, like *months*. We're talking late-night sessions, strategic planning, the works. I was super close to finishing, just needed to nail this one boss fight.Come home yesterday, and Jake's got this guilty look. Turns out, he not only played on my profile but managed to delete my entire save. All of it, gone. He was trying to "make room" for a new game or something. I lost it, told him he's banned from my setup. No more gaming for him at my place.He got all defensive, saying it was just a game and I was overreacting. But man, that was hours of my life. Told him it's about respect, not just the game. He's been sulking, and my aunt (his mom) called me up saying I'm being too harsh on him, that he's just a kid making a mistake.I'm sitting here feeling like a mix of pissed off and maybe a bit petty, but also, it's my stuff, my rules.

AITA for cutting off his gaming privileges at my place after he deleted my game saves?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Kick out brother, tell wife and kids they can stay but are on thin ice. Then hopefully the gay son can move out and take wife and daughter with him, and leave lovely dad behind.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

OP is doing a bang up job protecting his kids by doing nothing and feeling uncomfortable about this whole mess.

AITA for banning my cousin from my gaming setup after he deleted my saves?

All 22-year-old men know exactly how game/save data works and wouldn't delete it "accidentally". The question is, why would he do it on purpose?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sounds like another episode of "Hmm thats a mighty tasty looking hand"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

pentyne posted:

just get an easement.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Seeking Advice: Wife's Lack of Familiarity with the Canadian National Anthem

quote:

Hey everyone,

My wife and I immigrated to Canada 8 years ago, and are proud citizens of this beautiful country. As someone who deeply appreciates Canadian culture and history, I've always made an effort to embrace everything about my new home, including knowing the national anthem, "O Canada," by heart.

However, I recently discovered something that caught me off guard and left me feeling a bit embarrassed. During a casual conversation about Canadian symbols, I realized that my wife only knows the first two lines of the anthem and nothing beyond that. It took me by surprise, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of shame and wonder about her level of integration into Canadian society.

Don't get me wrong; I love my wife dearly, and her lack of familiarity with the anthem doesn't change that. But I can't shake off this feeling of concern about what it might signify. Does it reflect a broader disconnection from Canadian culture? Or is it simply a matter of her not having had the same exposure to Canadian symbols as I have?

I want to address this situation with sensitivity and respect for her feelings. I understand that everyone's journey to acclimatizing to a new country is different, and I don't want to impose my expectations on her. At the same time, I can't help but wonder about the significance of her lack of knowledge about such an integral part of Canadian identity.

So, I'm reaching out to you, fellow Redditors, for advice on how to approach this delicate matter. How can I discuss this with my wife in a way that fosters understanding and mutual respect? Have any of you experienced similar situations in your relationships, and if so, how did you handle it?

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can offer. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

TL;DR: Wife doesn't know Canadian anthem, it is embarrassing

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Bramble posted:

Seeking Advice: Wife's Lack of Familiarity with the Canadian National Anthem

what a dweeb

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'll bet that hoser doesn't even know the French lyrics, tabarnak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I love the Canadian national anthem. It's really beautiful, and way better then the American national anthem.