Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Sneaker Broker posted:

6'1, 225lbs. He can snag the ball from anywhere. However, his route tree has a lot to be desired.

That has nothing to do with being a freak. He runs 4.3ish and he's a pure bully with strength, plus his leaping ability might be the best in the class. Sure he's not 6'6 but 6'1 isn't exactly short when you're built like a tank and are faster than one.

His route tree sucks though you're right. He basically only runs goes or streaks. They use him in the screen game a lot and he has no shiftiness to get past anyone. He's decent at stick routes but it's mostly when he's using them against zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

It's the same, but the RB class is deeper and isn't spread out amongst 3 positions.

idk why but there's something about this that just feels off to me. Like it's technically true but it feels like white noise that nobody should care about.

Also just skimming a couple big boards there are roughly 3x as many IOL in the top 100 as there are RBs so...

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Sounds like most of the QBs will work out at the combine except Daniels and Williams.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

there's no top end IOL this year. I'm not falling for that JPJ top 20 nonsense. He's an early second rounder. You got Matt Lee and JPJ at center a decent gap and then Frazier and Nugent. At guard you got Puni, Zinter, Beebe, and Mahogany. I'll gives you Haynes, but I'm not as high on him. It doesn't make any sense to say the RB class is bad because it lacks top end and say the IOL class is good. It's the same, but the RB class is deeper and isn't spread out amongst 3 positions.

IOL class sucks this year but I don't think there's a decent gap between JPJ and Frazier. It's potential vs what you got. JPJ is a 1 year player that's raw as hell and people are just plain making up things about him because I think they like his name. Frazier is probably the most experienced player in the draft outside of Bo Nix. Matt Lee is just a guy, I don't know why you have him up high. I'd be surprised if he's even drafted before the third day. He plays way to tall and gets moved easily by bull rushes which is probably the opposite of what you want in a center. I was thinking someone was going to move him to LG or something too. His blocking technique is just so piss poor for a center and he bounces around like a high schooler.

The RB class is deep and thoroughly average. Brooks is a shotgun only RB that can't pass block but has some shiftiness to him. He's good in the open field and can make people miss but he also gets tackled easily if defenders get a hand on him. Not a lot of power, all hitting a gap out of shotgun with speed. You see it in short yardage situations he's just useless there. He got to play against empty boxes constantly on his team. Also the ACL injury might sink his draft process.

Braelon Allen should be the dominate RB with his size and athleticism but he's just a bigger version of Brooks. Shotgun RB, punishes people who go for his legs, runs past them, goes down easy to contact despite his size. He doesn't have the shiftiness of Brooks so he just plows into defenders and hopes for the best. They both have problems with gap diagnosis too, although Brooks is way better at eventually finding a hole. They'll just both spend a ton of plays plowing into the wash instead of being patient. Also both are lovely pass blockers for their size.

Bucky Irvings just tiny. He can't pass block and gets slammed around worse than Jayden Daniels. Oregon lists him at 5'10 190 but thats just a blatant lie I think. Still though he's a great one cut runner and can definitely punish teams if he comes into spell another RB. I just wouldn't feature him.

Trey Benson took a bunch of bad injuries at Oregon before transferring. This last year has been a prove it year for him and he held together. He goes down to wrap ups easily but contact tackles won't sink him as much as the other guys. I think he utilizes his size way better than Braelon Allen and Brooks. He's also more of a blow away guy than any other guy this draft. Pure Forrest Gump running where he just sprints so fast that it's hard to tackle him as he goes by. He also does the dumb thing Braelon Allen does with running directly into guys, except he's got way more burst and should avoid the battering ram all together.

Estime doesn't have that much wow factor. He worked behind a great blocking OL that allowed him to spring runs with technique instead of athleticism. Estime is way more patient than anyone on the list, he'll actually wait for holes to develop with intelligence instead of just slamming into them. Problem is he just looks thoroughly average doing it. I'm not sure if it's a knock. He's a big bowling ball and he's not going to have the gorgeous looking runs of Brooks, Benson, or Allen but it's just so effective. He's got the knack to get extra yards. He's also probably the best pass blocker among the top guys.

Corum seems like just a guy. He's got all the head fakes and quick bursts of movement but he's not that big and kind of relies on balance over prowess. Like it's hard to tackle him but he's not really going to punish anyone, and I hate seeing guys like that get the majority of snaps in the league. Just makes the offense so blah. He was another guy that reaped behind a top tier blocking OL. He has a bunch of neat highlights with quick area movement but you have to wonder why he has to use it instead of just hitting the hole. He gets the extra yards just like Estime though. Like if you take him up top and he's got leverage he'll keep churning to get yards, but again, average. Reminds me of DeVonta Freeman who was successful but basically became the vanilla option when they had Tevin Coleman. He's also old and injured a lot.

I got bored making this post I'll make another one later about Jaylen Wright, Ray Davis, Will Shipley, Daijun Edwards, Dillon Johnson, and Cody Schrader. They're not ranked behind any of these guys I just feel like Corum, Estime, Benson, Iving, Allen, and Brooks are the more known prospects at the moment.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blake Corum couldnt play a full series on offense without bleeding from the forehead somehow by the end of it, there's no way he can last in the NFL

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please post with blakecorum about such matters

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I've spent .1 seconds looking at running backs this season but my favorite in the class is Estime, just because if nobody is supposedly particularly good then I'm putting my money on a Big Boy

As a Mizzou fan I am pretty curious to see what happens with Schrader. Dude does not come off as anything special athletically but he is a classic Just Made Things Happen guy...would love to see him carve out a place in the league but I dunno if I'd have particularly high hopes for him if I wasn't attached to him for other reasons

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Cooper BeeBee
Christian Mahogany
Delmar Glaze

These three names will end up being franchise big boys. If the Packers are high on them, so should everyone.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Braelon Allen's film from previous years was better than this last year's, due to the shift in the offense. The biggest difference wasn't the YPC or anything easily measurable - it was who was hitting him, and when. Our o-line was hot garbage in 2023, which is not something you'd expect from Wisconsin in any given year. But it meant Allen's first point of contact was usually at or near the line of scrimmage, getting hit by DL that had blown by the OL. Compared to previous years where it was usually one or two yards downfield, which meant LBs and DBs, and a 245-lb back is winning many more of those battles.

He was more patient in 2021 and 2022, because he could afford to be. In 2023 the consistent penetration meant that he was just trying to squeeze any yards out of a busted play half the time.

If you need to ding him, ding him for injury concerns and untimely fumbles. Not for him only getting two or three yards on a first down play where the NT breezed past the center and hit him as the handoff was happening.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

Matt Lee is just a guy, I don't know why you have him up high. I'd be surprised if he's even drafted before the third day. He plays way to tall and gets moved easily by bull rushes which is probably the opposite of what you want in a center. I was thinking someone was going to move him to LG or something too. His blocking technique is just so piss poor for a center and he bounces around like a high schooler.

I did not see that in the games I watched. He did get beat by a bull rush a couple times with one pressure over the 4 games I watched, but he anchors well the vast majority of the time. Also didn't notice any particular pad level issues. He does get off balance occasionally and can be stood up, is this what you're seeing? I didn't note it as a chronic problem. Maybe saw 2 or 3 egregious examples over the 4 games.

I like him for his athleticism. Moves really well, gets out well. I'd like to see him be able to track and identify his blocks in space better when pulling. I like his finish on run blocking. He's not a mauler in the run game, but he's consistently able to leverage and turn and his guy for the seal. In pass protection I like his vision and hands. He resets fluidly due to his athleticism. One of the best pass blocking IOL's in this class in my book.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Relevant draft news.

In Peter King's final column ever as a writer for NBC and Football Morning In America,

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/fmia-nfl-peter-king-retirement-its-time?cid=fmiatw

quote:

I suppose the Bears are going to trade the top pick. I know nothing, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. What I say: The Bears could keep Justin Fields (and should), and trade the first pick down once or twice, and build the kind of supporting cast a team needs to contend. Suppose GM Ryan Poles traded the top pick down one spot to Washington (which would take Caleb Williams), and got the second pick, a second-round pick and a 2025 first-round pick in return. Then suppose Poles traded the second pick to Atlanta at eight, and the Falcons picked one of the other quarterbacks. In return, Chicago gets the eighth pick, Atlanta’s second-round pick, and first- and second-round picks next year. Imagine moving from 1 to 8 and ending up with this draft haul:

• The eighth and ninth (their own) overall picks in round one this year.
  • Second-round picks from Washington and Atlanta this year.
  • Three first-round picks and two second-round picks in 2025.

For moving down seven picks in the first round, the Bears could end up with nine picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts. Instant infrastructure.

Let's the Chaos begin.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Doubt that lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
At least he admits he knows nothing lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I did not see that in the games I watched. He did get beat by a bull rush a couple times with one pressure over the 4 games I watched, but he anchors well the vast majority of the time. Also didn't notice any particular pad level issues. He does get off balance occasionally and can be stood up, is this what you're seeing? I didn't note it as a chronic problem. Maybe saw 2 or 3 egregious examples over the 4 games.

I like him for his athleticism. Moves really well, gets out well. I'd like to see him be able to track and identify his blocks in space better when pulling. I like his finish on run blocking. He's not a mauler in the run game, but he's consistently able to leverage and turn and his guy for the seal. In pass protection I like his vision and hands. He resets fluidly due to his athleticism. One of the best pass blocking IOL's in this class in my book.

But to ignore low lights he blocks so high up I don't know how that can be utilized at the NFL level.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 26, 2024

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Imagine spending your last ever column writing about bears draft rumors. A fitting end to the terd that is Peter king.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm genuinely curious if you mark that last play as a minus. Are you expecting him to make that block?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I'm genuinely curious if you mark that last play as a minus. Are you expecting him to make that block?

I expect centers that know the sweep is to the right and they have a slip block assignment to not push it 3 yards up from the LOS but these are just three plays I found real quick before work

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I want Malachi Corley on any Shanahan team so bad. He is quite literally Deebo with a little more juice.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Smart for the player but I wonder how many more slam dunk top guys follow suit in years to come.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1762118440540672039?s=19

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Harlock posted:

Smart for the player but I wonder how many more slam dunk top guys follow suit in years to come.

Top QB's already skip it, unless there is an actual like need for them to throw to raise their stock.

like MHJ can't improve his stock above the QB's, so gently caress it why bother lol.

edit: Skip throwing, most of them still do interviews obviously.

Edit 3 sounds like he's still doing interviews

https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1762123132922462650

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I expect centers that know the sweep is to the right and they have a slip block assignment to not push it 3 yards up from the LOS but these are just three plays I found real quick before work

there's a couple more from those games. He gets bullied pretty badly by the DT splitting him and the left guard but holds up just enough in the aTm game, but a clear loss. He has a real bad rep like in the UNC clip against Clemson I think.

I don't dock the clip you posted against Clemson, because it's the wrong play for the defense that's only ever going to work if he's blocking on the second level. I think he goes so far down field because that's what they want him to do. It looks like he's heading towards a spot, maybe expecting zone?, sees man and has to reverse back. Regardless of the intent, I don't expect him or any other center to get 10 yards over on a 1 second throw. I actually like how fast he gets out there, even if the play was doomed from the snap.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Nice thanks for sharing.

I find this misleading:

Seems like the author is trying to make it seem like actually JJ threw it a bunch on third down and long! Coaches trusted him on their and long more than other QBs! But the data is just showing that JJ didn’t throw much in other situations.

I’d also like to see data on things like Y/A, Y/C, CPOE.

I think this actually indicates that Michigan faced a very very low % of 3rd and longs this year so they didn’t pull out a bunch of weird constraints or anything on those passing downs because they didn’t have obvious tendencies displayed. I’d need to double check, but I have a memory that they had very very few instances of being behind the sticks.

Re: McCarthy in a McVay system, you guys are missing the point of stafford in that offense. Goff can hit the short/intermediate poo poo in that system, it’s not hard. They need someone who can hit those vertical/PA shot plays consistently because that’s the hardest thing since the system trades the short range mismatches for slightly smaller windows on traditional seam/deep routes. Goff couldn’t do that poo poo, and McCarthy doesn’t have tape that says he’s getting that type of throw out on schedule (albeit like no one in this class really has that tape).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

PENIX has surgical downfield throws. In that Texas playoff game especially there was a streak of him throwing deep into windows so small they basically didn’t exist and yet made it to his receivers in stride.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

PENIX has surgical…

Lots of sentences about him start this way unfortunately.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Harlock posted:

https://x.com/richeisen/status/1762165190915985779?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I love Breer's and Eisen's friendly rivalry. It always comes up when both of them are interviewing each other.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I agree with Breer the combine is only for prospects that have something to prove. Elsewise they're just the S2 Cognition Test but worse. People dropping because of the measured drills are probably more real and devastating for a signing bonus than whatever could happen to Stroud.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Eisen just wants more eyes on his show which is understandable. But the people who watch the combine will watch no matter who is there really.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
E: It's an "Ohio State lost" joke. Eisen is famously a huge booster for Michigan, so he's taking a shot at Ohio State for getting bounced out of CFB playoff contention by Michigan.

The combine is also a dog poo poo environment to showcase a player's skills. Unfamiliar field, early wake up, limited warmup time, incredibly tight schedule including travel and boarding, multiple medical evaluations, etc.
Basically the worst possible version of being the away team.

Any sane person would and should skip it if doing so doesn't negatively impact their stock.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 27, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wandler20 posted:

Eisen just wants more eyes on his show which is understandable. But the people who watch the combine will watch no matter who is there really.

It's Eisen saying Go Blue, bitch

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
But it's probably the only way to get everyone on an even playing field.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

It's Eisen saying Go Blue, bitch

Lol yeah, Eisen is the ultimate Michigan guy.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

E: It's an "Ohio State lost" joke. Eisen is famously a huge booster for Michigan, so he's taking a shot at Ohio State for getting bounced out of CFB playoff contention by Michigan.

The combine is also a dog poo poo environment to showcase a player's skills. Unfamiliar field, early wake up, limited warmup time, incredibly tight schedule including travel and boarding, multiple medical evaluations, etc.
Basically the worst possible version of being the away team.

Any sane person would and should skip it if doing so doesn't negatively impact their stock.

Breer reps the Crimson & Silver just as hard as Eisen reps his boys in blue. So it’s fun to watch the “duels.” But I agree, MHJ has literally nothing to prove.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Breer is a huge OSU homer

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Combine was relevant up until the era of widespread televised games and internet. They should retool it to focus on small schools and lower divisions who for all intents and purposes still exist in that pre internet world where there is no tape on them or national exposure.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Eisen is a big Michigan fan, i've heard. And Breer is a big OSU guy!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is Penix the only potential 1st round QB throwing?

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1762521121247695161?s=20

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

JJ and Nix are as well

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I don't know if it translates or not, but Penix has the single ugliest release I've ever seen. It's this weird slingshot release. Is that a mechanics issue that has to be ironed out, or will Penix just have a totally unorthodox release in the pros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Forrest on Fire posted:

I don't know if it translates or not, but Penix has the single ugliest release I've ever seen. It's this weird slingshot release. Is that a mechanics issue that has to be ironed out, or will Penix just have a totally unorthodox release in the pros?

It’s an odd release for sure but he gets good results with it.

Seems like modern nfl cares less about the “proper” release than if it gets good results.