Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I started Tokyo Vice on Max last night and so far this poo poo slaps. It's like a Yakuza fanfic come to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Important coffee shop conga line update: I didn’t realize one of the friends I was there with has that place on his service route on Mondays and knows one of the guys that works there. He just told me the manager told the weird conga line people to knock it off, and then the organizer lady tried to start it up again later and he kicked them all out :laugh:

Also video game chat, shooters are really not my bag but I’ve been playing a lot of Helldivers II with the Gran Turismo goons and it’s pretty dang sweet.

But even cooler is Walkabout Mini Golf on PSVR2! I’ve played probably 5 hours of that over the weekend with the same goons, it’s so chill to play and everyone gets super hyped when someone sinks a baller putt, and all of the levels are extremely cool and well put together

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seiferguy posted:

I started Tokyo Vice on Max last night and so far this poo poo slaps. It's like a Yakuza fanfic come to life.

I don't know how much was changed for the show, but it's based on an actual guys memoir.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oooo I’ve heard about the show but this is the push I needed to start it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

T-Square posted:

Important coffee shop conga line update: I didn’t realize one of the friends I was there with has that place on his service route on Mondays and knows one of the guys that works there. He just told me the manager told the weird conga line people to knock it off, and then the organizer lady tried to start it up again later and he kicked them all out :laugh:

Nice. I've encountered a few coffee shops that are literally run by a church so I was wondering if it was that. But sounds like just some aggressive weirdos taking things too far

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sokka's actor is a white kid who lied about having Cherokee heritage to get the role lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Anyone have a refrigerator brand they like? I've had a Samsung one for 7 years and I'm done with it. Every 6 months or so I have to pull the thing apart and attempt to defrost the drain line. This time it was even worse as I had ice buildup all along the evaporator. I'm worried that I have a refrigerant leak since ice buildup is a common problem with low refrigerant. I'm not going to get this thing fixed any more, I'm just done with it.

I have a lot of LG appliances in the house now and I'm leaning getting one of those, but any recommendations are welcome.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bird in a Blender posted:

Anyone have a refrigerator brand they like? I've had a Samsung one for 7 years and I'm done with it. Every 6 months or so I have to pull the thing apart and attempt to defrost the drain line. This time it was even worse as I had ice buildup all along the evaporator. I'm worried that I have a refrigerant leak since ice buildup is a common problem with low refrigerant. I'm not going to get this thing fixed any more, I'm just done with it.

I have a lot of LG appliances in the house now and I'm leaning getting one of those, but any recommendations are welcome.

Newer Samsungs are actually pretty good. Fridges nowadays are kind of a crapshoot outside the super expensive brands. Your best bet is to get one with as few bells ans whistles as possible. No external access ice maker, no touchscreens, and such. If you have a brand/model in mind, let me know and I can look at its review on premium Consumer Reports for you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We bought this GE one last year and so far no complaints https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-27-7-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR-GFE28GYNFS/312648552

I know external ice makers are supposed to be like the number one source of problems but we really wanted one :shrug: So far so good. My only nitpick would be I wish the shelves on the doors held more stuff. Which is directly influenced by the ice maker taking up a bunch of space that could be used for door shelving lol, so that's on me for insisting on it. It doesn't have a screen or wifi or any of that bullshit which I consider a plus.

It's pretty drat big, holds more than enough for our family of 4. Especially coming from a lovely side-by-side model that was always jammed so full that something would usually fall out onto my toe whenever I opened the freezer.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

My Amana has lasted for 23 years, but I second the notion to get the one with the least frills possible. We have a freezer on the bottom and that’s it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I hate fridges with built in ice makers, takes up space and always had issues with them.

Have had one of these for a couple years now with no issues

https://www.amazon.com/AGLUCKY-Mach...s%2C282&sr=8-18

Bout 35-45 minutes to fill a gallon bag and really easy to clean

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 26, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’ve had a double door freezer bottom kitchen aid i paid $2000 for about 10 years ago and it still rules. Not sure if kitchenaid is still good but I’ve had great great luck with it.

Edit i forgot the light went out last week. Shouldn’t be a hard fix tho

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The fridge market is cyclical and weird. I think LGs are currently rated higher than Samsung. Generally replacing your 20+ year fridge will give you significant savings in electricity just from an efficiency standpoint.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

The fridge market is cyclical and weird. I think LGs are currently rated higher than Samsung. Generally replacing your 20+ year fridge will give you significant savings in electricity just from an efficiency standpoint.

While I believe this, if it ain’t broke…..

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Good timing! I think a fridge upgrade is going to be my bonus purchase this year. I was looking at Frigidaire because the old beater I have now has worked awesome for the 5+ years I've had my house.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We have a GE we bought a year ago and it’s been good so far, just a standard double door with ice maker and water. The water filter lasts us a decent bit too, longer than the Frigidaire we had before that it replaced. One thing I will say is that we like to have chilled water in sufficient quantity (Arizona and all), but a lot of refrigerators now have no internal storage capacity for water and it’s just filter-and-discharge. The Frigidaire we had, actually had a internal (tube) reservoir, and it was really nice to have for filling multiple glasses or a couple of bottles before it started to get warm, especially in the summer. When I was searching for new refrigerators, most don’t have any type of reservoir anymore, but the GE we purchased did. (Note: the reservoir is often a bunch of coiled PE tubing, or an actual tank somewhere inside. I don’t know if either really matters).

The Frigidaire was ok too - no frills really, had water/ice, was also a double door. I almost bought another one but preferred the GE for the internal chilled volume listed above, and apparently they changed over to R600A without changing the compressor/coolant system design, so there’s some question as to effectiveness and longevity.

Before the Frigidaire (which came with the houses we purchased in 2019), we had a LG side-by-side for about 4 years, with the Linear Compressor. The LC died about 2-1/2 years in, and we got it replaced under their warranty, but then the warranty was only for 90 days. It was working ok up until we moved, but ended up donating it. The actual LG factory tech that came to replace the compressor, told us that there were inherent design flaws that resulted in debris going into the cooling loop, so it’d likely go out again in the future. LG was subject to a class action lawsuit as a result of the initial few years of the LC design.

That having been said, my understanding is that LG significantly revised the design, and it seems ok/better now? There’s some nifty features that LGs have, so I’d probably consider them again, as I did some before the GE. I will say that it was probably the quietest of the refrigerators we’ve had, but I didn’t like the ice in the door. We also have an LG washer and dryer and they’ve been great.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve got a whirlpool gold French door with internal water dispenser and it’s been good. We had a kitchenaid corollary in our old house that was dead solid for the 5yrs we had it. We’ve had this one for 5 as well with no major problems.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I've got a Maytag for 13 years now that I've had to defrost and repair at least a half dozen times.

At least unlike my other appliances, it lasted 13 years, so that's something.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

whatever happened to paying the ice kingdom to send you ice via ship and horse in exchange for chickens??? you guys are so fancy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I got a Samsung that's been going 8 years. 0 issues.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Alright thanks everyone. I have some shopping to do.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I have a Samsung and I hate it. YMMV I guess

The icemaker is weirdly configured so that if you open the freezer at anything other than as slow as possible a bunch of ice falls out and into the lower shelf or even the floor behind the freezer compartment. The shelves are all at just the right level for stuff to not quite fit right. The sliding meat/cheese door gets stuck constantly

e: Yes I could move the shelves around. Currently one level is actually good for stuff, the other two or too small. If I moved them around they'd either all be too small or a different level would be fine and the other two too small. The only thing I could really do is remove one level of shelves altogether but I get more storage space by just laying things on their sides if needed

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 26, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I went with all Bosch appliances when we built our house two years ago and I have zero regrets. The ice maker is a drawer in the freezer and it works great.

Here is the link to it: https://www.bosch-home.com/us/produ...essoriesOthers/

I'm also a big fan of counter depth because they look much better not sticking out into your kitchen and poo poo doesn't get lost in the back.

We put a Samsung in our pantry and it's been fine too but the Bosch is setup much better and the drawer ice maker is better. The Samsung was also about $1000 to $1500 cheaper.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

T-Square posted:

Also video game chat, shooters are really not my bag but I’ve been playing a lot of Helldivers II with the Gran Turismo goons and it’s pretty dang sweet.

But even cooler is Walkabout Mini Golf on PSVR2! I’ve played probably 5 hours of that over the weekend with the same goons, it’s so chill to play and everyone gets super hyped when someone sinks a baller putt, and all of the levels are extremely cool and well put together

Walkabout is such an amazingly good game, the physics are dead on, and they're getting more and more creative with the level design. I haven't picked up the 80 Days course yet, but will likely do so soon.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I have a Sub-zero and don't think I'd recommend it. We've already had to have it serviced twice in under 3 years because of an insane design choice in the fridge that leads to water pooling in the bottom of the unit.

Never had an issue with the Whirlpool(?) I had in my old house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrimpy posted:

Never had an issue with the Whirlpool(?) I had in my old house.

Yeah, my appliances in my apartment are all Whirlpool and I've never had a problem with any of them (outside of a thunderstorm zapping the freezer's compressor one night).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know how much was changed for the show, but it's based on an actual guys memoir.

yeah, the senpai of all senpai for white dues in Japan, Jake Adelstein, came over and worked crime and police beats with one of the large daily newspapers, which led down some shady alleys and provided the impetus for the first book. His most recent, The Last Yakuza, is now out in English, and I got started on it not too long ago. haven't had the chance to watch the show yet because it's on some random tier of Amazon Prime or something else in Japan that I don't currently get and don't want to pay for, but it sounded like it reviewed ok.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

I have a Samsung and I hate it. YMMV I guess

The icemaker is weirdly configured so that if you open the freezer at anything other than as slow as possible a bunch of ice falls out and into the lower shelf or even the floor behind the freezer compartment. The shelves are all at just the right level for stuff to not quite fit right. The sliding meat/cheese door gets stuck constantly

Yes I have the same complaints. The water/ice pooling at the bottom has meant that every 6 months or so I pull everything out of the fridge so I can remove the back panel and try to fix the problem for a few more months. This time the whole evaporator coil froze into a solid block, which is maybe the same issue or maybe a whole new issue. Either way I’m done with this thing.

My adult life I’ve had like 4-5 fridges from moving around and I’ve never had an issue until this one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Let your fridge be your fridge, and your freezer be your freezer.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/a...XhoCeQEQAvD_BwE

(We bought it at like half that price a decade ago)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Large appliances being your landlord's problem is probably the best part of renting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Air Skwirl posted:

Large appliances being your landlord's problem is probably the best part of renting.

That and not having to worry about snow removal.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1762247744830529833

2am Taco Bell goers in a panic

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Timby posted:

That and not having to worry about snow removal.
Hah, good one!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I was listening to a podcast on google sucking now because of SEO litter and they were discussing enshittification as the “rot economy” where everything is rent-seeking with no creation or service provided because profit is pursued to the detriment of the base product and, man, there’s no argument against it.

Profit-seeking makes everything loving worse and I hate it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Barely related except by the vaguest of tangents, but Ed Zitron just started up a new podcast, Better Online, which explores a lot of the strange and bad things the tech industry gets up to; his latest episode features guest/goon Robert Evans discussing the rot economy, all about how tech products are basically getting worse and worse for users and humanity alike, because user experience and the lives and wellbeing of people and even the quality of the product itself are all dispensable in the aim of infinite economic growth. Pretty good at providing a perspective to an economic/financial/tech lunkhead like me on why everything to do with the internet feels like it’s going down the shitter!

Edit: lmao beaten by a post!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I was listening to a podcast on google sucking now because of SEO litter and they were discussing enshittification as the “rot economy” where everything is rent-seeking with no creation or service provided because profit is pursued to the detriment of the base product and, man, there’s no argument against it.

Profit-seeking makes everything loving worse and I hate it.

it's not profit seeking, because I'm sure plenty of businesses can turn over a tidy, steady profit.

it's the idea that everything has to grow infinitely to be of any value as a business. that's why people are getting let go from jobs en masse, why things are getting shittier while the price stays or goes up, why a loving fast-food chain is talking about "surge pricing". It's all to show growth in business segments that are possibly amongst the most mature and settled in an incredibly mature and settled market.

I agree, it loving sucks, but just trying to provide the right description here. A steady profit isn't enough, 5% growth until the heat death of the sun might not be enough to satisfy every single investment ghoul out there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

it's not profit seeking, because I'm sure plenty of businesses can turn over a tidy, steady profit.

Yeah I guess endless growth-seeking is closer to what I meant there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My gut tells me that surge pricing is ultimately a money loser. Fast food has one thing going for it, predictability. You know what you’re going to get, how much it’s going to cost, and how long it’ll take. When you start taking one of those away, people tend to find alternatives, which there are plenty of in fast food.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

GD_American posted:

Let your fridge be your fridge, and your freezer be your freezer.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/a...XhoCeQEQAvD_BwE

(We bought it at like half that price a decade ago)

Saw "side by side" and was getting ready to tee off on what a horrendously lovely waste of space those are, but this I could get behind. We have a dedicated upright freezer in our basement, and it is so much better than a chest freezer for things not getting lost. It does help to be a real psycho who keeps a spreadsheet inventory of what's in there, too, but even I realize that's beyond reasonable for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It does help to be a real psycho who keeps a spreadsheet inventory of what's in there, too, but even I realize that's beyond reasonable for most people.

:hfive:

There are dozens of us! Dozens!