Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Schwarzwald posted:

As much of a clusterfuck as production was, as a movie it's pretty solid.

Yeah, it's incredibly entertaining for giving you a Mario Bros story in a completely unexpected way. When I saw it as a kid I was disappointed because it's not what I wanted from the movie. Now that I am a cynical and broken adult, I love it for how crazy it is.

BonoMan posted:

And it was gonna be weirder. Nintendo actually sold the rights for way cheaper than the expected market value (and what other players were actually bidding) because they respected the weird avenue they were going for. It was only as the last second when some funding fell through and Disney via Buena Vista offered to pick up distribution that Disney requested... Some modifications to make it less weird (which is why so much of it feels disjointed).

Listen to the "What Went Wrong" podcast ep about it. It's great.

I feel like I read an article that went into it. Or maybe I heard a YouTube essay on it. I will have to check that out, though. I do love learning about how weird movies end up the way they do, like how the '90s Street Fighter or Zardoz came to be.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I get a kick our of the opening narration where the guy with the Brooklyn accent is like "Eyyyy, But what if the asteroid didn't kill all dinosaurs? What if they were knocked into a parallel world and continued to evolve?!" it's so goofy and contrived. Just have Mario and Luigi working on a pipe and then they get sucked off into the Mushroom Kingdom. That's all you need to do.

Yeah, but what IF the dinosaurs really didn't die. YOU GOTTA TINK ABOUT A QUESTION LIKE THAT, EYYYYY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shageletic posted:

Thread title

Its a unique interesting movie

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, but what IF the dinosaurs really didn't die. YOU GOTTA TINK ABOUT A QUESTION LIKE THAT, EYYYYY!

The dinosaurs went to hell before they died.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lobok posted:

No but seriously, why is "sucked off" your favourite phrase to use. Is it a subtle bit?

fellation station

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jUxEHiNo4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

whoa

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

somebody said in here that the Angry Birds movie was good. I feel like that’s along the same lines

Somebody also said the pixels movie was good once, imagine that

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I forget who, but a wise person once said that every movie is someone’s favorite movie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Battlefield Earth is no one’s favorite.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Battlefield Earth is no one’s favorite.

It’s L Ron Hubbard’s favorite for sure

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

So that's where Bush got the idea...

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I owe a great debt to the super Mario brothers movie for introducing young me to the word “corpulent.”

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

remigious posted:

I owe a great debt to the super Mario brothers movie for introducing young me to the word “corpulent.”

lol, same

Also "trust the fungus" was an oft used expression in my household growing up.

My 4k disc is still making it's way to me from Australia, can't wait to watch it again.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

Somebody also said the pixels movie was good once, imagine that

Josh Gad hosed Q*bert so that thousands more could gently caress the Emperor in Baldur's Gate 3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsReoZMj1k

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

It just looks so... average at best.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I haven't got the hype for Horizon, but I guess we could use another western or two.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

checkplease posted:

Yeah I haven't got the hype for Horizon, but I guess we could use another western or two.

I love Westerns but at this stage you really better be coming with something different. Maybe the story is there and I just don't know yet. I hope so! But even visually it doesn't seem to impress that much.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

checkplease posted:

Isn't the market for anything with Costner 60+?

The vistas look nicely sweeping.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 26, 2024

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Screw Waterworld, THIS is the true Kevin's Gate.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

BonoMan posted:

I love Westerns but at this stage you really better be coming with something different. Maybe the story is there and I just don't know yet. I hope so! But even visually it doesn't seem to impress that much.

I was trying to think of different things but yeah so much has been done.

Kung Fu western? Shanghai Noon.
Time travel western? Back to the future 3.
Aliens western? Cowboys vs aliens or maybe even Prey (though too early in time I guess).

I guess always multiverse western or John wick western.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I just don't think Costner's the guy for Westerns. One of my favorite "modern" Westerns ever is Tombstone, and Costner famously made the worse (much longer) version of that one year later, Wyatt Earp. And this is two, presumably long, movies? I'm out.

It does look pretty, though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

checkplease posted:

I was trying to think of different things but yeah so much has been done.

Kung Fu western? Shanghai Noon.
Time travel western? Back to the future 3.
Aliens western? Cowboys vs aliens or maybe even Prey (though too early in time I guess).

I guess always multiverse western or John wick western.

They’ve tried everything except Good Western

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The guy directed Open Range, which has one of the best kick-offs to a shootout ever.

Also, completely off-topic, it's insane how good the first half of Silverado is and how young Costner is in it. Not a shock at all that he became a star.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

The guy directed Open Range, which has one of the best kick-offs to a shootout ever.

Fair, I completely forgot Open Range existed, because I never saw it, so that's on me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thrawn527 posted:

Fair, I completely forgot Open Range existed, because I never saw it, so that's on me.

I saw it once when it came out and literally ONLY remember the shootout, so you still might be onto something

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Even the vistas look fairly generic in this like anybody could have shot it. Compared to something like The Assasination of Jesse James where it's like "oh this is Roger Deakins."

But I generally do like Costner. And christ does he age? Other than looser skin around the neck he looks young as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Costner burst onto the scene as a director with a Western, and he won Best Picture/Best Director Oscars for it. So that's why people of a certain age get excited about a new Costner Western.

Open Range is solid, mostly because of Duvall though more than anything else.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Even the vistas look fairly generic in this like anybody could have shot it. Compared to something like The Assasination of Jesse James where it's like "oh this is Roger Deakins."

That's apples to oranges. There weren't really a lot of vistas in Assassination..., since it was set in Missouri and filmed in Canada. This looks more like a proper Monument Valley style western.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

I saw it once when it came out and literally ONLY remember the shootout, so you still might be onto something

I just looked it up on YouTube (assuming you're talking about the "You the one who killed our friend?" scene), and while yeah, the kick-off is fantastic (and it really is), the rest of the shootout is pretty bad. There's not much tension like the O.K. Corral scene in Tombstone, and it's not silly fun like any of the shootouts in The Quick and the Dead. Meh. But that's not really fair, I'm watching it out of context.

I'm obviously only comparing it to other Westerns of the 90's and early 2000's, not older Westerns.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

live with fruit posted:

That's apples to oranges. There weren't really a lot of vistas in Assassination..., since it was set in Missouri and filmed in Canada. This looks more like a proper Monument Valley style western.

It's not apples to oranges. Whether or not it's literally "vistas" is irrelevant. It just doesn't have an interesting visual language (or at the very least, it's not bringing anything to the table there) to me.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's a "Say the line, Bart" situation. The people who are going to see this movie want this kind of look over strapping a camera to a train and pensive shots of Brad Pitt looking off in the distance in a wheat field.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thrawn527 posted:

I just looked it up on YouTube (assuming you're talking about the "You the one who killed our friend?" scene), and while yeah, the kick-off is fantastic (and it really is), the rest of the shootout is pretty bad. There's not much tension like the O.K. Corral scene in Tombstone, and it's not silly fun like any of the shootouts in The Quick and the Dead. Meh. But that's not really fair, I'm watching it out of context.

I'm obviously only comparing it to other Westerns of the 90's and early 2000's, not older Westerns.

No, you're right. The beginning is the best part (I actually think they put it in the trailers?) but the rest is... unglamorous? Which I kind of like. People like 20 feet from each other firing blindly and missing. It just makes me feel like Costner might have some tricks even if everything surrounding them is pretty rote.

But yes. Tombstone and The Quick and the Dead are much better modern shootouts. gently caress, I want to rewatch Tombstone.

lipid
Feb 21, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I can't believe we're saying the 90s Super Mario was good. To each their own with trash I guess.

I watched it again within the past year. The first hour or so was significantly better than I remembered, but the last thirty minutes or so was just as bad as I remembered, if not worse.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Horizon looks like it has a lot in common with that Tyler Sheridan prequel to Yellowstone with Sam Elliot. Basically, horrible poo poo happens on the wagon train. (And after they settle, too, I guess).

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jewmanji posted:

They’ve tried everything except Good Western

Unforgiven, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Proposition, Ravenous, Silverado (Costner's breakout role)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was just being cheeky but the most recent of those is almost 20 years old.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

I was just being cheeky but the most recent of those is almost 20 years old.

Westerns were already "dead" when Assassination, and No Country and There Will Be Blood, came out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rango is a great Western.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's TV, but The English from a year or so back was very good.