Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Captain Yossarian posted:

Reading laptop stories: My work sent me a brand new laptop, unprompted, well over two years ago now and never said anything about it then, doesn't know about it now, and my old laptop works fine. Kinda want to just "make it disappear" into my collection

When I first started at my current company my boss had a secret laptop someone had forgotten to reclaim after a refresh. When someone like me who came in from outside the company joined he could hand it over for a few days until we had our own computer. It was a good system. It looks like now when you get a refresh they simply lock out the old model associated with your account, as I found out when I had been given a refresh during COVID but couldn't move files from my old laptop to the new one because the old one simply stopped running the second I logged into the new one. Really dumb idea, it also turned out that some of the older laptops can't even communicate with the newer systems, so you end up losing EVERYTHING when getting a new unit. Thankfully, I was switching computers and jobs at the same time, so I didn't lose any important files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

My personal MacBook (that I was using for my few admin tasks at work) died about a year into my job here. They gave me one of the boss’ old ones. The battery doesn’t function at all, it must be plugged in at all times. We have an immensely bloated google sheet tracking all our brews, with a tab for every single one (413 tabs as of current), and this thing will barely load it. I spend about half an hour cumulative per day just waiting for this one spreadsheet to chug into existence. The H key only works sometimes.
A chrome book is what, a few hundred bux?

The sales guys have literal gaming laptops.

Like, I know admin isn’t a big part of my job, but I still need to be able to do my inventory management and brew tracking. I do want to replace my personal laptop this year but gently caress if I’m going to bring a new personal lappy to work, I barely make a living wage here.

Drop it or drop something on it or drop it in a tank. Be creative

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Captain Yossarian has an extra laptop

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

The job I have now is the first job I've ever had like this and it weirds me out. There's almost nothing for me to do most of the time and they really don't care that I just sit around shitposting on the internet or whatever with the rest of my time. I'm not measured on literally anything beyond "are you available when we need you?". I have ~30-45 minutes of tasks to do in the morning and then the rest of the day I pretty much just answer the phone 3 or 4 times, and none of those calls have ever lasted more than 2 minutes because it's literally just someone saying "Hey I need you to figure out schedules for [xyz] because [so and so] called out." or something, and I say "okay I'll do that" then spend a minute doing it. And the best part is it's a not-for-profit organization that doesn't outsource anything except IT so I'll probably never get cut.

It's truly the most blessed job I've ever had but I also worry constantly that I'm supposed to be doing more because every job I've ever had had been "always find something to be doing and continue meeting ever-expanding KPIs", lmao. But I'm also filling a position that they couldn't operate without so ????. I'm making enough money to live alone and pay out of pocket for school (which they're reimbursing 100% for me anyway!). I don't want things to ever change. Hell, I don't even want to graduate and move on to something else at this point.

I’m in the exact same position, I’ve been here three months and have had a few days of being busy but mostly I just work on school stuff. All my previous jobs I’ve been constantly busy and had to justify all the work I was doing with closed tickets or items out the door.

The real dumb part is that despite the lack of work they decided to hire not one but two people to help me. I was explaining to the other guy who started last week that I hardly do anything. I guess the other guy starts next week and I can have the same conversation with them. I’ve got two classes left for school and while I’m tempted to ride this gravy train for a while the pay ceiling is lower than if I tried getting a different job after getting the degree

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
We had a bad helpdesk in our IT dept at a previous job. They had zero troubleshooting or even critical thinking skills. Little things they'd do would irk me like one of them would search for things on the internet by going to the address bar, typing in https://www.yahoo.com and then searching from there. We told her you can just type what you're searching for in the bar without going to "www.yahoo.com" first every time. She said no, she preferred that method. I dunno...

Anyway, my brother worked there with me in IT as well and once decided to test their incompetence. He put in a request to have the cheese removed from the cheese and crackers in the hospital's vending machines. The helpdesk staff saw it, put it into a ticket for us, and sent it over to my group which was desktop support at the time. Again, IT helpdesk was so braindead that they processed a request for desktop support to remove cheese from vending machine products without thinking twice about it. My brother tested them a few times, after that. He'd put in weird things like how he wanted IT to address a clogged toilet or whatever and, every time, helpdesk would put the emailed request into our ticket system and forward it to my group.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Catastrophe posted:

We had a bad helpdesk in our IT dept at a previous job. They had zero troubleshooting or even critical thinking skills. Little things they'd do would irk me like one of them would search for things on the internet by going to the address bar, typing in https://www.yahoo.com and then searching from there. We told her you can just type what you're searching for in the bar without going to "www.yahoo.com" first every time. She said no, she preferred that method. I dunno...

Anyway, my brother worked there with me in IT as well and once decided to test their incompetence. He put in a request to have the cheese removed from the cheese and crackers in the hospital's vending machines. The helpdesk staff saw it, put it into a ticket for us, and sent it over to my group which was desktop support at the time. Again, IT helpdesk was so braindead that they processed a request for desktop support to remove cheese from vending machine products without thinking twice about it. My brother tested them a few times, after that. He'd put in weird things like how he wanted IT to address a clogged toilet or whatever and, every time, helpdesk would put the emailed request into our ticket system and forward it to my group.

To be fair, they were just as relevant a request to the helpdesk as they were to your team? I can't blame them for taking the "when in doubt, pass it along and escalate" route.

I assume they also were not being paid enough to think independently.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, they were just as relevant a request to the helpdesk as they were to your team? I can't blame them for taking the "when in doubt, pass it along and escalate" route.

Nah, it was a tech-only IT helpdesk. It was for when the network's down, surgery room monitor malfunctioning, ICU x-ray viewing station not booting, etc. Not cheese and crackers.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Effort very much is commiserate with pay.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
My work is having everyone fill out a 'completely anonymous' survey about how we think things are going and what could be improved. If it was completely anonymous, they wouldn't ask my age or gender or my specific department, right?

Good thing I'm in a union factory.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shithouse Dave posted:

The H key only works sometimes.

Nobody wonders why you’re ordering so many pounds of ops?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dr.Smasher posted:

My work is having everyone fill out a 'completely anonymous' survey about how we think things are going and what could be improved. If it was completely anonymous, they wouldn't ask my age or gender or my specific department, right?

Good thing I'm in a union factory.

A lot of places do this so they can at the very least target any outcomes from the feedback to the areas or demographics where it’s most relevant, but also yeah never trust anything that says it’s completely anonymous.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The McKinsey grift at my company continues. I have no idea at all what they are doing for us, other than providing access to their “Wave” software tool. As I am not sure I have had any interaction with anyone from that company, other than maybe someone from there giving some speech during a meeting or something.

I have had multiple meetings with only internal people of mid level people (high level ICs, and low level managers) about an initiative that is tentatively going to save the company a bunch of money. But for this to have a chance of working, people will need to be hired (and trained) for something completely new, and non of the people involved have any authority to even begin the process of hiring someone.

For extra fun, the money numbers are due in a couple of months for the higher ups to review (or something). But I am hearing that other initiatives have numbers that were just completely made up and guessed at. As well as there will be a ton of overlap between initiatives. So I have no idea what is supposed to actually be submitted when a savings of $X can potentially be claimed by multiple initiates that are covering similar interrelated topics.

I am super glad I am only on a single one of these initiatives, and as of right now I don’t even have proper access to the software tool. I seeing as how my initiative doesn’t really have any chance of helping the business unit I work for, I just plan to keep my head down and watch it all just sputter into nothing, or implode spectacularly.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
For the past six months or so, there’s been an expired pallet of cappuccino mix outside of the parts department. It may have not started out expired, but it sure is now. I can’t imagine why no one’s thrown it away yet. Is there any use for 500 pounds of expired coffee mix, mostly hazelnut but some caramel? Maybe you can feed it to pigs?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Catastrophe posted:

Little things they'd do would irk me like one of them would search for things on the internet by going to the address bar, typing in https://www.yahoo.com and then searching from there. We told her you can just type what you're searching for in the bar without going to "www.yahoo.com" first every time. She said no, she preferred that method. I dunno...

That one sounds pretty harmless -- at worst it takes a couple of extra seconds. We all have habits that aren't perfectly optimized, after all.

Besides, I find urlbar search annoying, unless I specifically call for it with something like a quicksearch bookmark. (Thanks Chrome, I really wanted you to google "appserver4.preprod.[companyname]:8080" instead of going to that intranet page.)

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

That one sounds pretty harmless -- at worst it takes a couple of extra seconds. We all have habits that aren't perfectly optimized, after all.

Besides, I find urlbar search annoying, unless I specifically call for it with something like a quicksearch bookmark. (Thanks Chrome, I really wanted you to google "appserver4.preprod.[companyname]:8080" instead of going to that intranet page.)

I understand but she'd search for websites that way. As in, she would type in "www.yahoo.com" so that she could go to Yahoo and type "facebook.com" into their search and then click on Facebook there. Instead of typing "facebook.com" into the URL bar...................... this was an IT employee.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Catastrophe posted:

I understand but she'd search for websites that way. As in, she would type in "www.yahoo.com" so that she could go to Yahoo and type "facebook.com" into their search and then click on Facebook there. Instead of typing "facebook.com" into the URL bar...................... this was an IT employee.

This was years ago, but back when the Hillary is 44 forum was active back in 2007-2008 there was a user that, instead of typing in the address they would google the site and click on the link instead because she thought that would prevent THEM from knowing she went to the site. I read that post one time and it's stuck in my brain since then. It doesn't surprise me that a bunch of people have similar ideas.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Catastrophe posted:

...Yeah, that's bonkers. Objection retracted. :tipshat:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Lazyfire posted:

This was years ago, but back when the Hillary is 44 forum was active back in 2007-2008 there was a user that, instead of typing in the address they would google the site and click on the link instead because she thought that would prevent THEM from knowing she went to the site. I read that post one time and it's stuck in my brain since then. It doesn't surprise me that a bunch of people have similar ideas.

I kind of love the stories like this where, rather than it being some inexplicable personal preference or rote learned behavior, you can see the hint of how they got there. Maybe she saw one too many episodes of Dateline where computer forensics could see the sites they “visited” and assumed it was because they typed the address. Maybe they heard some random thing a decade ago about sites monitoring what you type, or cookies, or the HTTP referer, or what HTTPS encrypts, and they worked it into their conspiratorial worldview. Who knows?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The director of project management at my soon to be former company happened to put in his notice the day before I did, but he either gave 1 day of notice or they booted him early as he is already gone. He was here 3 months lmao

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I wish I had a director of project management. Or a project manager at all. Our project managers manage the project management tool, and our engineers act as project managers for their projects.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Annual review invite came in. For tomorrow. At 330.

Phew.

It's the 430 time slot you have to be worried about. Those people are never seen again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe your boss is leaving early tomorrow.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

If that's the case, then i guess I am too.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Shithouse Dave posted:

My personal MacBook (that I was using for my few admin tasks at work) died about a year into my job here. They gave me one of the boss’ old ones. The battery doesn’t function at all, it must be plugged in at all times. We have an immensely bloated google sheet tracking all our brews, with a tab for every single one (413 tabs as of current), and this thing will barely load it. I spend about half an hour cumulative per day just waiting for this one spreadsheet to chug into existence. The H key only works sometimes.
A chrome book is what, a few hundred bux?

The sales guys have literal gaming laptops.

Like, I know admin isn’t a big part of my job, but I still need to be able to do my inventory management and brew tracking. I do want to replace my personal laptop this year but gently caress if I’m going to bring a new personal lappy to work, I barely make a living wage here.

:stare: Of all the ways of tracking brews, 413 individual spreadsheet tabs is the most ludicrous I've ever encountered. I can think of a thousand different ways that could be improved - do they not give you any control over your own brew tracking whatsoever?

Also how the gently caress are you supposed to do planning/scheduling/ingredient ordering/etc. when your keyboard doesn't even fully work? Your bosses have completely hosed priorities.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You should separate it out into 413 individual Excel files and organize them into folders arranged by first letter of the brew name.

Don't do this

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Don't do this

Actually do this

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Save the 413 spreadsheets in your recycle bin.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Outrail posted:

You should separate it out into 413 individual Excel files and organize them into folders arranged by first letter of the brew name.

Don't do this

Go a step further. Get 413 Chrome Books (or whatever cheap laptop/tablet), and keep one file on each. Then you can pull out the specific brew device.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if you're responsible for documentation, always make it as arcane and confusing and awful as you can

they'll still lay you off but at least it'll make things awful for them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All my documentation is in a constructed language of which I am the only speaker.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

You gotta lay down a false trail of clues and deadends when documenting your work to throw em off

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
All my company's documentation is in the heads of the people responsible for the things. Typing it out is anathema.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Slowly going insane reading the documentation folder left behind by the mad employee Abdul Alhazred

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That is not depreciated that can be claimed on tax eternal / and with some financial years even they may be reclaimed to maximise value.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

blatman posted:

if you're responsible for documentation, always make it as arcane and confusing and awful as you can

they'll still lay you off but at least it'll make things awful for them

I document everything in a single huge power point presentation. Yes there are animations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Orvin posted:

Go a step further. Get 413 Chrome Books (or whatever cheap laptop/tablet), and keep one file on each. Then you can pull out the specific brew device.

pulling a chromebook off the righthand side of the topmost shelf of the second bookcase like you're an ancient wizard selecting the perfect grimoire for this spell

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Physically write the brews into actual grimoires, then scan them into a 413 page Google sheets doc.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Simply delete the spreadsheet

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Thesaurus posted:

You gotta lay down a false trail of clues and deadends when documenting your work to throw em off

I GAVE YOU ALL THE CLUES MR MANAGER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fml I used a fax machine twice yesterday
now I'm waiting for the replies, by fax