Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a way to compare SSD health?

I have to reinstall windows on a desktop, and it has 2 ssd's of equivalent size. I'm thinking it might be better to install windows the drive that didn't have it until now, on the assumption that the drive that has had windows installed on it will have had to endure more "wear and tear", but I can't be sure.

(both drives will be reformatted regardless for a clean restart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
anything that reads SMART/drive data, Crystal Disk Info is good for this (ignore the anime)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BurritoJustice posted:

What other type of testing is there for upscaling? There is no objective measure you can use for upscaled image quality.

But yes, the difference is still noticeable at 4K Quality and very noticeable at 4K Performance.

In 26 games, FSR was only similar in four at 4K Quality and one at 4K Performance. At 1440P, which the OP is now going with, the difference is massive.

Let’s actually link to the video you pulled that chart from, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WM_w7TBbj0

So to the benefit of those who aren’t BurritoJustice, they basically say that at 4K Quality, the difference between FSR 2 and DLSS 2 (at the time the video was produced) was not significant enough to get fussed over; if you an nvidia card already of course use DLSS, if you have are looking at cards and want to play in 4K, then it’ll depend on what type of games you play, because rasterization-heavy gaming with occasional FSR use wouldn’t probably justify going nvidia over AMD if you can get an otherwise faster or equal card or one with more VRAM, for same or lower pricing.

I would also say that’s usually now XeSS would be the superior option to FSR, but even AMD cards can benefit from it over FSR in games since Intel doesn’t completely lock out competing cards.

I’m also probably one of the few posters here who actually has both AMD and Nvidia cards and using both; I’ll always prefer DLSS but FSR is fine if someone doesn’t need it all the time in 4K.

If someone watched the above video the chart is pulled from and was interested in 4K Quality mode, “falling apart” is not the description I’d probably take away from it unless I’m inherently biased (to the negative of the thread).

BurritoJustice posted:

FSR2 is literally the worst modern TAAU solution, if it doesn't justify that language then nothing else does.

Again, share some of the most recent comparisons for why even XeSS is better in many games now (it is), because I don’t disagree that it’s the least performant.

But again, can an AMD card meet the needs of someone on a budget or who wants to get into higher resolution gaming but can’t afford a 4070 Ti or higher, given 4K high-refresh panels are so cheap now, and especially since XeSS is an available option also.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

FSR2 absolutely falls apart when upscaling from very low internal resolutions.

100% agree, but upscaling from say 1440p to 4K isn’t that.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

double nine posted:

Is there a way to compare SSD health?

I have to reinstall windows on a desktop, and it has 2 ssd's of equivalent size. I'm thinking it might be better to install windows the drive that didn't have it until now, on the assumption that the drive that has had windows installed on it will have had to endure more "wear and tear", but I can't be sure.

(both drives will be reformatted regardless for a clean restart)

I use HWiNFO64 and it shows a lot of drive info including the device health, reads and writes, and errors.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So I need to hammer down a PSU for my build (parts list at the end). At this point I'm kicking between a 750w PSU or 850w for slightly more. From what I can tell the 100w difference there is the difference between running 4080 vs 4090 on current power draws would it make some sense to get the extra headroom should things trend more towards 4090 style cards in the future? I know predicting the future is impossible.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LLwpJy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($212.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($1537.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.99 @ B&H)

Canned Sunshine posted:

I’m also probably one of the few posters here who actually has both AMD and Nvidia cards and using both; I’ll always prefer DLSS but FSR is fine if someone doesn’t need it all the time in 4K.

I might be operating on a false assumption just from watching too many gpu reviews where DLSS in cyberpunk is a pretty common test. But aren't there a lot of games where you need FSR/DLSS at 4k to get good framerates? Which AMD cards do you anticipate only needing to use FSR "sometimes"? I feel like people recommend AMD for the more budget end of cards and those must surely need to rely on FSR here right?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

I might be operating on a false assumption just from watching too many gpu reviews where DLSS in cyberpunk is a pretty common test. But aren't there a lot of games where you need FSR/DLSS at 4k to get good framerates? Which AMD cards do you anticipate only needing to use FSR "sometimes"? I feel like people recommend AMD for the more budget end of cards and those must surely need to rely on FSR here right?

Personally, there are some games I play where to get a good 4K experience, I absolutely need DLSS given the settings I want to use, etc., especially for high frame rate gaming. But if I don’t care about RT in a game for whatever reason, and just want a smooth experience with VRR helping, there are plenty of games that I can easily hit 60+ FPS in 4K without DLSS or FSR. Most aren’t recent AAA titles, but I don’t care.

Just as one example, at 4K and most settings high/maxed out, I was getting 60+ fps on both my old 3080 and my 6900 XT in D4 (but without the high resolution textures add-on); with DLSS, the 3080 was probably around 10% faster than the 6900 XT as I tried to crank it up to closer to 165 fps. The game was smoother, but I could have happily played at 60-70 fps without DLSS or FSR. Now granted, D4 doesn’t have RT, but it’s apparently coming next month, though I’m skeptical on how much improvement it can make given Blizzard’s history of add-on improvements.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Why play D4 when you could instead subject your CPU to heroic quantities of projectiles in PoE

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

The original poster was, in fact, someone who was going to need it all the time in 4K.

Canned Sunshine posted:

If someone watched the above video the chart is pulled from and was interested in 4K Quality mode, “falling apart” is not the description I’d probably take away from it unless I’m inherently biased (to the negative of the thread)..

Did you misread my original post or something? I said it doesn't fall apart at 4K like it does at lower resolutions but the difference is still noticeable (and for 40% of the games at 4K quality, he had it in "noticeably better" tier or above). Your entire rant here is about me saying it falls apart at 4K when I literally said it didn't, but the video doesn't say they are equivalent.

The point was just that someone said "if you don't care about RT, AMD is the same" but if you're buying a GPU and always turning on upscaling you're getting lower picture quality at the same performance level with AMD.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 26, 2024

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i return once more, my friends and comrades

i have another friend building another computer and he's on a much tighter budget than i was (or my other friend i posted about)

the deets:
  • he's got the autistic demand/refusal to change from his decrepit coolermaster case from 12 years ago that he is calling a "collector's item". :baduk: pcpartpicker seems to think the case can't fit bigger than a 280mm radiator, so, 240 it is, though the actual case is pretty damned large so who knows
  • already talked him down from the wildly expensive Z790 ASUS mobo he wanted (at least i hope the talking down was successful)
  • he already has a GTX2070 and wants to keep it for now, upgrade later maybe, and already has a 2021 PSU which i think is probably fine? it's overkill for the wattage he's gonna pull prior to upgrading the GPU anyway
  • his budget is like $1100 atm but he accomplishes that by doing things like not buying a new GPU yet

here's what i threw together for him so far:

PCPartPicker posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($370.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT520 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Velocita ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00 @ SA-Mart)
Total: $895.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-26 19:28 EST-0500

i can already predict some of the feedback y'all will give (get cheaper SSD, maybe go AMD instead of intel, wtf buy a new case you moron) but let's hear it, love y'all as always :swoon:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

BurritoJustice posted:

Did you misread my original post or something? I said it doesn't fall apart at 4K like it does at lower resolutions but the difference is still noticeable (and for 40% of the games at 4K quality, he had it in "noticeably better" tier or above). Your entire rant here is about me saying it falls apart at 4K when I literally said it didn't, but the video doesn't say they are equivalent.

The point was just that someone said "if you don't care about RT, AMD is the same" but if you're buying a GPU and always turning on upscaling you're getting lower picture quality at the same performance level with AMD.

What you wrote was that, "FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark". Though couched with "not as much", you are still saying that it does fall apart. And there's this follow-up chart where DLSS totally dominates, and a firm re-positioning that the language of "falls apart" is justified. So what is the stark difference? Like let's say DLSS whatever version is ~95% as good as native 4K — what would FSR's percentage be? And given that difference, would that overcome the rasterization & VRAM value that AMD provides that even gets one's foot in the door of 4K?

BurritoJustice posted:

The original poster was, in fact, someone who was going to need it all the time in 4K.

OP's proposed build was a 7800XT paired with a 7800X3D — from what i can tell from benchmarks, they can get 4K @ 60FPS natively from a bunch of the newest titles.

I'm not trying to be snarky, as I'm genuinely curious for peoples' take. I'm still thriving off of my 1070 card while having upgraded everything else, and had always thought 4K to be too extravagant.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zoya posted:

i return once more, my friends and comrades

i have another friend building another computer and he's on a much tighter budget than i was (or my other friend i posted about)

the deets:
  • he's got the autistic demand/refusal to change from his decrepit coolermaster case from 12 years ago that he is calling a "collector's item". :baduk: pcpartpicker seems to think the case can't fit bigger than a 280mm radiator, so, 240 it is, though the actual case is pretty damned large so who knows
  • already talked him down from the wildly expensive Z790 ASUS mobo he wanted (at least i hope the talking down was successful)
  • he already has a GTX2070 and wants to keep it for now, upgrade later maybe, and already has a 2021 PSU which i think is probably fine? it's overkill for the wattage he's gonna pull prior to upgrading the GPU anyway
  • his budget is like $1100 atm but he accomplishes that by doing things like not buying a new GPU yet

here's what i threw together for him so far:

i can already predict some of the feedback y'all will give (get cheaper SSD, maybe go AMD instead of intel, wtf buy a new case you moron) but let's hear it, love y'all as always :swoon:

Keep the case, I love how old and dumb it is. An AMD 7800X3D is cheaper and better for gaming, absolutely does not need a liquid cooler so changed that to thread favorite Thermalright Peerless Assassin, spent some of the saved money on a nice motherboard, changed to the appropriate DDR5-6000 CL30 RAM, and you guessed it, changed to cheaper SSD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 EAGLE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($95.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $773.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-26 20:09 EST-0500

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Zoya posted:

what is your friend trying to do with the build (what games, what resolutions)? it's not really easy to evaluate things outside of that context here. the 2070 is gonna bottleneck most midrange or higher cpus, when are they planning to upgrade? How long do they want this build to last?

The above listed 7800x3d build is the "go to" right now but there might be "reasons" for your intel etc etc. AMD wants DDR56000 CL30 if possible, intel can actually use faster clocked ram but I'm not knowledgeable past that.

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 27, 2024

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Keep the case, I love how old and dumb it is. An AMD 7800X3D is cheaper and better for gaming, absolutely does not need a liquid cooler so changed that to thread favorite Thermalright Peerless Assassin, spent some of the saved money on a nice motherboard, changed to the appropriate DDR5-6000 CL30 RAM, and you guessed it, changed to cheaper SSD.

he's extremely pleased that you like his case

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

what is your friend trying to do with the build (what games, what resolutions)? it's not really easy to evaluate things outside of that context here. the 2070 is gonna bottleneck most midrange or higher cpus, when are they planning to upgrade? How long do they want this build to last?

The above listed 7800x3d build is the "go to" right now but there might be "reasons" for your intel etc etc. AMD wants DDR56000 CL30 if possible, intel can actually use faster clocked ram but I'm not knowledgeable past that.

i will quote him here:

quote:

1080 p til new card

id like to upgrade refresh rate soon (144)
but that's a new screen

as for what games
u know
dwarf fortress 2 tarkov lol

welp
time 2 play tarkov with poo poo frames
like i have
for years

he's recently played helldivers, enshrouded, and lethal company with us, but his PC struggles compared to the rest of the group since he's last to upgrade

he also plays rust and tarkov incessantly

he has an attachment to Intel in that it's what he knows and has always used and change is scary (samesies) but i don't think he's like fully "die on this hill" tier about it

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Zoya posted:

i will quote him here:

he's recently played helldivers, enshrouded, and lethal company with us, but his PC struggles compared to the rest of the group since he's last to upgrade

he has an attachment to Intel in that it's what he knows and has always used and change is scary (samesies) but i don't think he's like fully "die on this hill" tier about it

intel cpus run hotter and suck down more power to do it for the same or worse performance right now. The x3d chips also feature more CPU cache which can be helpful in some (map/sim/old man) games. In addition at least on the previous am4 platform AMD managed to release multiple generations of cpu so that even now a drop in cpu upgrade is available that could increase your performance and platform life. AM5 (the current platform for the 7000 series cpus) is still kinda questionable on how many generations they'll put into the board but the chance is there while Intel is on a one and done chip/mobo release cycle right now.

It's very likely they'll be buying a 1440p AND >60hz monitor if they do upgrade (they dont seem like they wanna play games at 300fps where easier to render 1080p would be more stable) so like both of those metrics will probably go up.

Even with a 2070 all of those games will probably run great or at least much better in whatever indie shovelware you throw at it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

What you wrote was that, "FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark". Though couched with "not as much", you are still saying that it does fall apart. And there's this follow-up chart where DLSS totally dominates, and a firm re-positioning that the language of "falls apart" is justified. So what is the stark difference? Like let's say DLSS whatever version is ~95% as good as native 4K — what would FSR's percentage be? And given that difference, would that overcome the rasterization & VRAM value that AMD provides that even gets one's foot in the door of 4K?

Sorry, I honestly misremembered the wording of my original post (thought I said "doesn't fall apart like lower resolutions").

FSR really does really "fall apart" at lower resolutions, but at 4K it is less drastic. I meant to emphasise that while it's only really bad at lower resolution, there is still a noticeable visual difference at 4K. I think "stark" is fine wording for "in half the games tested, FSR looked noticeably worse".

It's not really easy to quantify the value added by DLSS, because it does vary how often you're going to be using it. There isn't a large performance difference between the same modes of DLSS and FSR, the benefit is that you can use DLSS in situations where you'd prefer running native if you only have FSR or you can run a lower preset of DLSS and get similar visual quality to a higher preset of FSR.

Tim from HWUB did a follow up video, where he added native into the comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5B_dqi_Syc&t=1022s

If you look at the summary, it's really a two horse race. In a lot of cases at 4K, DLSS was providing equal or better quality than native while FSR was never the best image quality.

To answer the question of "how much do you value it", it doesn't mean you never buy AMD GPUs anymore, it just is still a very relevant feature even for people who don't care about raytracing. If in a lot of cases you're using DLSS quality on Nvidia and Native 4K on AMD, that's a huge performance benefit. If you're using it on both, you will still often see a noticeable quality difference.

HWUB themselves have said in the past that they consider Nvidia GPUs to be equal value to AMD GPUs if the price/perf is 10-15% higher to account for the value add of Nvidia features.

quote:

OP's proposed build was a 7800XT paired with a 7800X3D — from what i can tell from benchmarks, they can get 4K @ 60FPS natively from a bunch of the newest titles.

It can't get 4K60 natively in everything, and if it is hitting 60 on games right now then it isn't going to be maintaining that for long. 60Hz isn't the target these days, everyone has high refresh monitors and you'll get a noticeably improved experience from sending more frames to your panel. I think people who use 4K without regular use of upscaling, even among high end GPU owners, are in the minority.

E: Canned Sunshine did raise a good point about XeSS, the newest 1.2 versions are quite a bit better than FSR. While not competitive with DLSS, it does close the gap if a game is implementing all three. Hopefully the new DirectSR thing is an API that means that all games will be able to natively support all three easily.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 27, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So that not everyone has to click through the link to the video. That graphic is showing Hardware Unboxed's judgements between the image quality of DLSS Performance, Quality, and Native resolution are.

Also, for quick reference, here's the resolutions that 4K up-samples from at the various levels.

Quality: 2560x1440p

Balance: 2227x1253p

Performance: 1920x1080p

Ultra Perf: 1280x720p

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Zoya posted:

i will quote him here:

Tarkov and Rust are 2 games in particular that would just love some of that AMD 3D cache

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM650 (2023) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Only minor aesthetic changes from what I last posted, and I've got everything but the case, which should arrive tomorrow. But I noticed a potential problem. PCPartPicker puts my estimated wattage at 464W, in which case the 650W power supply should be plenty. But the product page for the graphics card says the minimum power supply is 750W, and the recommended is (the manufacturer's) 850W PSU.

So is the manufacturer overestimating or is PCPartPicker underestimating? Do I need to return my PSU and grab a 750W-850W one?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

runchild posted:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM650 (2023) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Only minor aesthetic changes from what I last posted, and I've got everything but the case, which should arrive tomorrow. But I noticed a potential problem. PCPartPicker puts my estimated wattage at 464W, in which case the 650W power supply should be plenty. But the product page for the graphics card says the minimum power supply is 750W, and the recommended is (the manufacturer's) 850W PSU.

So is the manufacturer overestimating or is PCPartPicker underestimating? Do I need to return my PSU and grab a 750W-850W one?

A 650W will be fine. The "minimum" PSU XFX is putting there is trying to account for the total system power draw, and likely estimating on the higher side. The RX 6800 non-XT has a TDP of 250W, and this doesn't change depending on who makes the card. The 850W suggestion is XFX trying to upsell.

Fwiw, going by the 1.5x system draw "rule," you'd want a 700W PSU, and those aren't very common so a 750W would be the next step up, but that rule isn't really a rule so much as it's just trying to mitigate power spikes and have a buffer for upgrades you might do to your system in the future. Again, I think 650W is acceptable for your build and wouldn't worry about it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 27, 2024

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Fwiw, going by the 1.5x system draw "rule," you'd want a 700W PSU, and those aren't very common so a 750W would be the next step up, but that rule isn't really a rule so much as it's just trying to mitigate power spikes and have a buffer for upgrades you might do to your system in the future. Again, I think 650W is acceptable for your build and wouldn't worry about it.

Dovetailing off of this would I rather have an 850w psu or a 750w psu in a 4080 super + 7800x3d build? The 750w seems like plenty but I did notice the 850w could fit a 4090 class card in the future while the 750 doesn't have the headroom.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Dovetailing off of this would I rather have an 850w psu or a 750w psu in a 4080 super + 7800x3d build? The 750w seems like plenty but I did notice the 850w could fit a 4090 class card in the future while the 750 doesn't have the headroom.

who says? the 4090 pulls 450W max, as long as the rest of the build isn't insane 750W would manage fine, especially given the fact 40-series cards are much better regarding power spikes compared to the 30-series.

All that said if I were building anew I'd definitely want a PSU with one of the new ATX 3.0 connectors, which although I think you can get on 750W PSUs are gonna be more prevalent the beefier they get.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Branch Nvidian posted:

A 650W will be fine. The "minimum" PSU XFX is putting there is trying to account for the total system power draw, and likely estimating on the higher side. The RX 6800 non-XT has a TDP of 250W, and this doesn't change depending on who makes the card. The 850W suggestion is XFX trying to upsell.

The upsell on the “recommended” number was obvious enough, haha.

Want kind of future upgrades would it take to make a 750W more desirable? Are we talking a moderate GPU bump or like a huge jump that would necessitate a full rework? Cause other than the minor inconvenience of returning a package and swinging by Micro Center again we’re only talking about a $10 difference to get a Corsair RM750e.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Spend the extra 10 bucks and be done with it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

LRADIKAL posted:

Spend the extra 10 bucks and be done with it.

Sounds like the “e” denotes lower quality parts so it could be a trade off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

who says? the 4090 pulls 450W max, as long as the rest of the build isn't insane 750W would manage fine, especially given the fact 40-series cards are much better regarding power spikes compared to the 30-series.

All that said if I were building anew I'd definitely want a PSU with one of the new ATX 3.0 connectors, which although I think you can get on 750W PSUs are gonna be more prevalent the beefier they get.

this this website suggests the corsair rm750e (2023) and rm850e (2023) both have atx 3.0 so it's available in either 750w or 850w models. I haven't heard of that part of the spec yet but I'm assuming that's just the 12VHPWR connector?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

runchild posted:

The upsell on the “recommended” number was obvious enough, haha.

Want kind of future upgrades would it take to make a 750W more desirable? Are we talking a moderate GPU bump or like a huge jump that would necessitate a full rework? Cause other than the minor inconvenience of returning a package and swinging by Micro Center again we’re only talking about a $10 difference to get a Corsair RM750e.

runchild posted:

Sounds like the “e” denotes lower quality parts so it could be a trade off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The RM denotes the quality class, normally. The e, x, whatever is more of a year thing I think? Anyway, the RM750e is a good unit and just spend the extra $10 for it, even if all it ever gives you is peace of mind.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Is there any indication that AMD will support more formats for hardware decoding video? Intel and Apple seem to have a big advantage for editing uses at the moment.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Is there any indication that AMD will support more formats for hardware decoding video? Intel and Apple seem to have a big advantage for editing uses at the moment.

This might be a good question for the GPU thread. What formats are you actually interested in here? Most of the discussion around this has just been relative to AV1. All intel Arc Alchemist cards, RTX 40 series and RDNA 3 GPUs have hardware decoding of AV1. From the looks of things Intel CPUs and the like that advertise AV1 decode are really advertising the AV1 decode capability of the iGPU.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

This might be a good question for the GPU thread. What formats are you actually interested in here? Most of the discussion around this has just been relative to AV1. All intel Arc Alchemist cards, RTX 40 series and RDNA 3 GPUs have hardware decoding of AV1. From the looks of things Intel CPUs and the like that advertise AV1 decode are really advertising the AV1 decode capability of the iGPU.

It's a CPU question rather than a GPU question. Nvidia doesn't have the codec support but Intel does. I noticed after posting that there was an AMD thread so excuse me if this is the wrong venue but I hoped someone might know.

Edit and to answer your question I'm curious about h.265

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

It's a CPU question rather than a GPU question. Nvidia doesn't have the codec support but Intel does. I noticed after posting that there was an AMD thread so excuse me if this is the wrong venue but I hoped someone might know.

Edit and to answer your question I'm curious about h.265

Yeah this is a question better asked in the AMD and/or Intel thread(s). This thread is more dedicated to component selection for building a new system or upgrading a current one.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah this is a question better asked in the AMD and/or Intel thread(s). This thread is more dedicated to component selection for building a new system or upgrading a current one.

Thank you, I will relocate

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

The RM denotes the quality class, normally. The e, x, whatever is more of a year thing I think? Anyway, the RM750e is a good unit and just spend the extra $10 for it, even if all it ever gives you is peace of mind.

I have the 2023 RM750e, it has a really annoying fan that cycles on and off seemingly randomly on my 5800X3D / GTX1080 system. They claim it is quiet. It is not. Get the x* or a PSU where you can disable the zero rpm bullshit.

*I also have a 2021 RM750x in a NAS that is completely silent even during load.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wibla posted:

I have the 2023 RM750e, it has a really annoying fan that cycles on and off seemingly randomly on my 5800X3D / GTX1080 system. They claim it is quiet. It is not. Get the x* or a PSU where you can disable the zero rpm bullshit.

*I also have a 2021 RM750x in a NAS that is completely silent even during load.

Funnily enough I have the EVGA 750-watt Supernova SFF and the fan has literally never, ever kicked on. Including now in my test rig with a 7950X3D and 4080 Super hooked up to it, even during benchmarking

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Idiot check on this please:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£344.99 @ MoreCoCo)
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID M240 78.23 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (£190.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (£124.99 @ Corsair UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£66.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£144.94 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£144.94 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card (£609.99 @ AWD-IT)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (£94.27 @ NeoComputers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£109.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit
Total: £1979.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-28 17:03 GMT+0000

I have a PCI-e Adapter for the Adata SSD which I'm planning on using with the big slot spare at the bottom. I included the old SSDs from my current rig that I want to plug in.

The intent is RTX gaming and recording and is probably my rig for the next 6-7 years.

Monitor resolution is QHD, 144Hz. I might go to UHD at some point in the near future.

Up for debate is the 4070 Ti Super vs the 4070 Super that's currently in it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Idiot check on this please:

I think the general consensus is that liquid cooling is overkill for the 7800X3D. Mine runs cool and quiet with an air cooler.

Also I don’t see that RAM on your motherboard’s list of supported memory. Maybe check the manufacturer’s website and pick a set off that list if you want to be sure it will run at full speed out of the box.

Here's a link now that I'm not phone posting anymore: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650e-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Finally was able to get my rear end to a Micro Center in Houston, after having a conference north of town, had massive flashbacks to working at Fry's back in '05. Even the signs marking departments are the same.

Wanted to start building a PC piece by piece but they didn't have the kind of Fractal Torrent I was looking for, nor a North with mesh side. Oh well.

The amount of 4080 Supers they had was nuts to me.

Also there's a 4090 slim model now???

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Just completed my build exactly as you all suggested, with a slightly different CPU cooler. Put it together last night and it worked perfectly (once I got the power switch and power switch LED wires uncrossed). Thanks again!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($469.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor ($799.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Total: $2217.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-29 17:42 EST-0500

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 1, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
*laughs in cooling a 7800X3D with a NH-L12S*

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Muir posted:

Just completed my build exactly as you all suggested, with a slightly different CPU cooler. Put it together last night and it worked perfectly (once I got the power switch and power switch LED wires uncrossed). Thanks again!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($469.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor ($799.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Total: $2217.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-29 17:42 EST-0500

drat, this looks close to what Ive been eyeing for a living room gaming PC.

Might have microcenter build it for me as I am old and tired of those little motherboard cables!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

It's been 5 years since I built the setup below. It's been great but it feels like things are getting a bit slow. I added that 27" 165 Hz monitor in 2021 I think and it feels like the 2070 struggles a bit. I would like to be able to crank up Cyberpunk 2077 a bit more for example.

What country are you in? New Zealand
Do you live near Microcenter? Nope
What are you using the system for? Gaming, shitposting and web.
What's your budget? Would be nice to keep it under $2500 NZD if possible. If only a GPU upgrade is required then that's awesome and preferable.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? High+ using 1440p 165 Hz + 1080p secondary.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA XC ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 24.0" 1920 x 1200 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-10 15:03 NZDT+1300

Can I keep using the case and CPU cooler? If it's preferable to do a full new build that is.

Ok I finally got around to checking my PSU. It’s an EVGA SuperNova 650 G2. Not the Corsair I had above.

If I am to keep the build above but add a 4070 Super or TI Super. Am I going to need a bigger PSU?

Also got to add that modern cases are crazy good. I don’t think I had opene my case for a few years and it was almost dust free still! Awesome.