Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gummy Joe posted:

Public Domain Mickey, your roast is n-OH WHAT THE HELL?

(Savage Dragon #271)

I think that's actually issue 268, which just hit! Mine is in the mail. Good to see the Mickey arc will be several issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Man Larson was just ready for this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought the incredibly odd specific rules for public domain Mickey is that for now he has to be in black and white and silent. Larsen is playing with comedic fire!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

I thought the incredibly odd specific rules for public domain Mickey is that for now he has to be in black and white and silent. Larsen is playing with comedic fire!

There’s some posters and the like that are in color from that time, iirc, but mostly I would say this clearly falls under fair use via parody

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
How old is Maxine because it looks like the two are walking home from high school

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He doesn't have to be silent, he just can't use the Mickey voice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
. you know what, never mind.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

The dude in the middle of this thumbnail is Scott Adsit, who famously is a Shield agent who became Nova Prime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

How old is Maxine because it looks like the two are walking home from high school

he's huge, she's short. but they've been married for years (savage dragon runs on real time) and have a bunch of kids.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I like Larson but yeesh

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a weird book, yes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Edit: Also, if I was DC I'd do a month of Mickey one shots just to take the piss out of Disney.

I think that's the absolute last thing DC would want to do right now, seeing as most of their big hitters will be aging out of copyright in the next few years. They'd just be begging for retaliation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nipponophile posted:

I think that's the absolute last thing DC would want to do right now, seeing as most of their big hitters will be aging out of copyright in the next few years. They'd just be begging for retaliation.

Embrace chaos
Then marvel can do it to DC and they do it to marvel in a few decades

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Embrace chaos
Then marvel can do it to DC and they do it to marvel in a few decades

Aside from Captain America every Marvel character people give a poo poo about were invented post 1963, Steamboat Willie came out in 1928, so it's 35 years for that to really matter. Edit, even Cap wasn't created until 1941, so that's a decade by itself. Get your licks in now DC.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Flaming Carrot Comics #25 (1991)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Air Skwirl posted:

Aside from Captain America every Marvel character people give a poo poo about were invented post 1963, Steamboat Willie came out in 1928, so it's 35 years for that to really matter. Edit, even Cap wasn't created until 1941, so that's a decade by itself. Get your licks in now DC.

Excuse me? Jim Hammond killed Hitler!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Air Skwirl posted:

This is Namor erasure.

I can definitely see some cheesy Cinemax After Dark-ish/Hallmark Prince Needs to be Married Movie mashups coming out of him, unless Marvel makes the claim that the horndog aspect of his character was a later addition, and even then you still do have the opportunity for the whole prince of Atlantis needs a bride story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's huge, she's short. but they've been married for years (savage dragon runs on real time) and have a bunch of kids.

Nah it’s not just that. Even in relation to other humans in the comic Maxine has frequently (but not always) looked uncomfortably childlike.

It’s why I hesitate to recommend the comic book to many folks. It has a very anime-esque dynamic in that recommending it often has a “no really it’s very good if you just kinda ignore the really creepy parts” thing going on. Which is not great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everything I’ve seen about savage dragon just makes it look like your typical edgy 90s comic. Which to be fair is what it is

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Except it's lasted a bit more than like 5 issues.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh don’t get me wrong, it’s the KING Of 90s edgy comics

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Scrooge #15 (1956)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Uncle Scrooge #15 (1956)

I love old Duck comics' interpersonal conflict resolution

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to assume that Mickey is brown bagging a forty even though the art doesn't quite fit.

The bag is straight up drawn to like Mickey has been huffing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The bag is straight up drawn to like Mickey has been huffing.

That works too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everything I’ve seen about savage dragon just makes it look like your typical edgy 90s comic. Which to be fair is what it is

I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it! It really goes through all sorts of cool eras and styles. A lot of it is even wholesome! Around issue 75 it does a Kamandi homage where Dragon is now in a desolate alternate Earth, lots of cool riffs and using classic motifs. A bit like Invincible before Invincible, but more varied in content and style.

There's a bit where he pays homage to Calvin & Hobbes and has a kind of comic strip style bit while Dragon (senior), Jennifer, their daughter Angel, and the funny little alien menace Mr Glum live together, around issue 100 I think. That bit where Mr Glum keeps threatening to kill Dragon to me is kind of like a much more funny version of what they go for in early Stewie in Family Guy, this was the 90s, anyway really funny and touching too. Mr Glum, Angel, they all evolved over the years.

The comic is set in real time, so everyone grows up, dies, stuff like that. In the beginning it's like a faster-paced more coherent run of Spider-Man or Batman, with the fun subplots and gang fighting antics, and the cool soap opera stuff, all with a great sense of humor. He joins a superteam, he does this and that, pretty much everything I can imagine in a classic superhero life story run, Erik has done it.

It mostly gets talked about in recent years when something kooky or lewd happens, but more often than not, when you're not hearing about it, it's just a really good superhero comic with great creativity and slice of life stuff.

I just watched that movie American Splendor, and Comic Book Confidential, and it's funny, I think Savage Dragon is kind of my American Splendor.

Edgy is like Mark Millar. Dragon does irreverent stuff like say Lloyd Kaufman would sure, but it does a whole lot as well and has a positive spirit to it more often than not.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 26, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I wonder how Bill Watterson feels about the homage Savage Dragon did. Iirc, the guy really doesn’t care for superhero comics, especially the 90s stuff that Savage Dragon is rooted in

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I wonder how Bill Watterson feels about the homage Savage Dragon did. Iirc, the guy really doesn’t care for superhero comics, especially the 90s stuff that Savage Dragon is rooted in

I doubt he'd be offended by it. Watterson would pay homage or parody other comic styles on occasion.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Suicide Squad #33 (1989)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, the days before he was Dr. Rape.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's Drrape [said like Tony the Tiger]

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He's Drake? I thought Janet Dibney was an adult.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isekai Munchkin - Chapter 103

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Genuinely chuckling out loud at that

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Isekai Munchkin - Chapter 103

1 star would be too mean.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

evilmiera posted:

There was a cockroach...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Everybody knows you can pretty much discard the one-star reviews out of hand as cranks and dumbasses, it's the two-stars where people actually put thought into it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I've seen lots of one star reviews which are completely unhelpful. Usually just things like "doesn't work" or "I got the wrong thing", well the first is usually a skill issue and the second isn't a review of the product.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I've seen lots of one star reviews which are completely unhelpful. Usually just things like "doesn't work" or "I got the wrong thing", well the first is usually a skill issue and the second isn't a review of the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kwyndig posted:

Two-star reviews of Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank is where I found this:

quote:

As a historical text it's incredibly fascinating and definitely worth the read but it's not really a book you take to the beach on holiday (like I did).