Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
So I guess there is woods in my path that was obscured by the BJ. Gotta figure out a different landing spot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Scintilla, does the Goblin has los on 1318?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Wyvern

I think, based on the scarcity of options, I'll move to 1317, and fire a couple of weapons at the statue. That'll allow me to cool down, and put me in a better position to shoot either the goblin or the fuel tanks next turn.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

painedforever posted:

Wyvern

I think, based on the scarcity of options, I'll move to 1317, and fire a couple of weapons at the statue. That'll allow me to cool down, and put me in a better position to shoot either the goblin or the fuel tanks next turn.

Yeah that's what I'd go with.

Otter Madness posted:

So I guess there is woods in my path that was obscured by the BJ. Gotta figure out a different landing spot now.

Jump to 1416, then you can run to 1421 next turn. It also sets you up for the game winning DFA against the statue. DO IT

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

Scintilla, does the Goblin has los on 1318?

It does not.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Scintilla posted:

It does not.

Thanks!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 14

Something had gone wrong.

Gudrun watched with mounting concern as more and more red warning diodes blinked to life across the master control panel. An alarm pinged, and a cascade of error messages began to flash across her monitors. Before Gudrun could even begin to read them, the readouts indicating the simulation’s frame rate and synchronicity, which had held steady the scenario had begun, suddenly dipped into the red. At the same time the gauge indicating CPU usage shot up into the stratosphere.

“Bugger,” Gudrun whispered as the control panel’s heat alarm began to trill. She spun in her chair and brought her palm down on the stubby button that would activate the console’s emergency fan. A mechanical grinding noise filled the hangar as the ancient ventilation system whirred to life, sucking cool air into the simulator’s overheating processors.

“Hey techie! Something’s not right! It’s like a slideshow in here!” Etienne griped over the emergency comm link.

“Magos, we seem to be experiencing a severe lag spike. Is there anything you can do to help?” Roger added.

Magos ran her tongue over her lower lip as she studied the console’s readouts. Something was eating up a huge amount of processing power. Thinking quickly, she activated the simulation’s spectator mode and routed a birds-eye view of the city to one of the panel’s backup monitors. The source of the problem became clear the moment the image buzzed into focus. The Militia Fuel Depot had been hit, and was currently in the process of blowing itself to pieces. A huge cloud of burning fuel rippled outwards, obliterating everything in its path. The more the cloud expanded, however, the more juddery and laggy it became.

“Sorry guys. I thought this rig could handle a fuel explosion, but it looks like I overestimated it.” Gudrun reached out and began flipping switches, removing particle effects, disabling anti-aliasing, lowering the resolution and doing anything else she could think of to lessen the burden on the simulator’s CPU. “I’m doing some load-shedding now. Your visuals might get a bit blocky for a while, but it should fix the lag at least.”

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 4, rolls 9: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) absorbs 8 damage, 22/30 CF remaining.
-Fires Large Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 4, rolls 9: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) absorbs 8 damage, 14/30 CF remaining.

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) absorbs 5 damage, 9/30 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) absorbs 5 damage, 4/30 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) absorbs 5 damage, 0/30 CF remaining.
--Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) explodes, triggering a catastrophic chain reaction! (See here for the full details, no way am I transcribing all of that by hand!)
---Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) is hit for 20 damage! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Arm (0/6 Structure remaining. Left Arm Destroyed! 2 damage transfers to Left Torso, 5/10 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), Left Torso (0/10 Structure remaining. Left Torso Destroyed!), Left Torso (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso, 3/18 Armour remaining) and 5 damage to Centre Torso (0/18 Armour, 10/12 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)).
----Critical Chance in Left Torso! One Critical Hit Sustained. Heat Sink Hit!
----Critical Chance in Centre Torso! One Critical Hit Sustained. Gyro Hit!
---Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) is hit for a further 40 damage! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Leg (4/18 Armour remaining), Left Torso (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso, 5/12 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), Left Leg (0/18 Armour, 9/10 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), Left Leg (4/10 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), Left Arm (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso, 0/12 Structure remaining. Centre Torso Destroyed! Mech Destroyed!), Left Leg (0/10 Structure remaining. Left Leg Destroyed! 1 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates), Centre Torso (5 damage dissipates), Left Arm (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates), Left Torso (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates) and Centre Torso (5 damage dissipates).
----Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.
----Critical Chance in Left Leg! No Critical Hits sustained.
----Critical Chance in Left Leg! No Critical Hits sustained.
---Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) is hit for a further 40 damage! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Right Arm (1/11 Armour remaining), Left Arm (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates), Left Leg (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates), Left Arm (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates), Left Torso (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates), Centre Torso (5 damage dissipates), Left Arm (5 damage transfers to Centre Torso and dissipates) and Right Arm (0/11 Armour, 2/6 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!))
----Critical Chance in Right Arm! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 11: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) is already destroyed!
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) is already destroyed!
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 5: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) is already destroyed!
-Fires Medium Laser at Fuel Tank (Hex 2416); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits! Fuel Tank (Hex 2416) is already destroyed!

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Statue of Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619); needs 2, rolls 6: Hits! Statue of Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) absorbs 5 damage, 15/20 CF remaining.
-Fires SRM-4 at Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers); needs 2, rolls 12: 2 Missiles Hit! Statue of Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) absorbs 4 damage, 11/20 CF remaining.

Weapons fire for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Statue of Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619); needs 1, rolls 8: Hits! Statue of Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) absorbs 8 damage, 3/20 CF remaining.

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Wyvern WVE-6N (Player); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) gains 23 heat, sinks 23 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Victor VTR-9B (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wyvern WVE-6N (Player) gains 9 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 1 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 8 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso one hex further than usual.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (0/1)
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (4/4) Complete!

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy City Militia Base (100,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!

--

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 27th 9:00PM GMT.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mood: What the gently caress just happened :lol:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dying so hard it burns down the simulator is a neat trick.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
That right leg is pristine.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Can a Mech jump on a vehicle without DFAing it?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

loving lmao that was beautiful

e: etienne's range bands if you don't want to count, green/yellow red is ppc and blue/orange/didn't bother with long range is lrm. everyone's nearly in the medium range band and and the blackjack can get in short range for the lrms and almost short range for the ppc

biosterous fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 25, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

💯

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

One of the optional Rules in Battletech is that if a terrain feature takes 40 damage (normally requiring deliberately targeting a hex), it becomes cratered, giving it a rough terrain modifier.

The Fuel Depot going up just turned one-sixth of the map into a single particularly hot and angry crater, bordered by some buildings that look like they will fall apart if poked particularly roughly.

The Sentinel Pilot just got a worm's-eye-view of what being ground zero in a Fuel-air explosion looks like, and that'll be one hell of a story to share when he gets out of the pod.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:wow:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So, what's next?

Victor takes the Goblin, Wyvern gets the statue, Hunchback and Blackjack kill the Vedette? And then we all converge to kill Etienne?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m thinking about that old counterstrike smoke effect lol

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Is the Vedette really worth fighting? It has an AC5.
We kill the Griffin the mission is done right? I can go after the Goblin because there aren't any great shots for me at Etienne, and it has 3 SRM6.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

You get extra XP? I dunno, you gotta make a clean sweep of the mission area. If you're not going to kill everything, what's even the point of showing up?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Foo posted:

I’m thinking about that old counterstrike smoke effect lol

I was going to comment on how this is probably CPU bound not GPU bound, but then I realized
1) no, physics can be GPU now
2) In the magical Space 1980s this is MW2 mercs level graphics I'm sure, because they probably wouldn't have discrete GPUs for processing the rendering

So really anti aliasing is probably not something they have on a mid tier simulator. If they're lucky, there's anisotropic filtering.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The math coprocessor overloaded obviously.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Sentinel's cockpit was blown clear into the skybox, it's that view of the entire battlefield that caused the simulation to chug.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glorious explosion

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Too many physics objects created by the explosion, some of them flung so hard that they clipped into terrain/each other

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HBK: my safest movement option (2018) leaves me just taking potshots at etienne and I can't get any fire on the statue. I want to stay away from the Goblin with its SRMs given the state of my RT...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
As an aside, I've been kicking around some ideas for how to make Active Probes a bit more useful. The players have just recovered an intact example, and may potentially get it working at some point. Unfortunately, unless you're using the Hidden Unit rules they aren't good for much except maybe absorbing a crit. ECM Suites are much nicer to have since they have far more utility in a standard game. This in turn got me thinking about how Active Probes and ECM Suites interact, and how the latter's jamming systems might be used to interfere with player mech's sensors (and how this effect might be thwarted by a player with an Active Probe). It's still quite preliminary, but here are my thoughts at the present time:

Active Probe Rules:

-Active Probes have an effective range of 4 hexes. Within this range, all minefields are automatically revealed, as are any conventionally camouflaged units. Hidden infantry units are not revealed, nor are any units equipped with an active Null / Void Signature System or Stealth Armour.

-As per TacOps, a unit equipped with an Active Probe has an easier time targeting enemies in forest or jungle hexes, reducing their concealment bonus by -1 (this does not affect LOS).

-Active Probes can be used to perform a Deep Scan to penetrate an ECM Scrambler Field (see the ECM section below for more details).

ECM Rules

-ECM suites have their usual benefits, eg. negation of Artemis / C3 systems, etc within a 6 hex range.

-ECCM: ECM suites can be tuned to ECCM mode to negate an enemy ECM field and prevent the above effects. However, they cannot remove the effects of a Scrambler Field (see below).

-ECM Ghost Targets: Ghost Targets are finicky and weird and I probably won’t be using them.

-Scrambler Field (OpFor Only): When an enemy ECM suite is present, the intense jamming will prevent player mech’s sensors from fully scanning OpFor units. This will cause their datasheets to appear in a scrambled format, concealing weapon loadouts, armour values and most pilot details. Sprites and mech names will not be obscured, but the specific model will be (ie a Hunchback HBK-4G will simply be referred to as ‘Hunchback’). The unit carrying the ECM suite will also be clearly indicated as the source of the jamming.

A player unit with an Active Probe, the Improved Sensors quirk or a mechwarrior with the Eagle Eyes PSA can attempt to break through this jamming by conducting a Deep Scan on a scrambled unit. The player must be within 4 hexes, have LOS to the target and pass a roll of 7+. Succeeding will unscramble that unit’s datasheet for the rest of the mission. The enemy unit equipped with the ECM suite is more challenging to scan, with a target number of 9+, but succeeding will reveal the datasheets of every OpFor unit on the field (If multiple enemies possess ECM suites they must all be successfully scanned to defeat the jamming). Deep Scans are a free action that impose no penalties on the unit making them, but a player can only scan one enemy unit at a time.

Destruction of all OpFor-mounted ECM suites present on the map will also lift the Scrambler Field. ECM-equipped OpFor units arriving as reinforcements will not scramble (or re-scramble) pre-existing datasheets, but will scramble any units arriving with them. Clanners will (usually) disable their Scrambler Fields because they aren’t filthy degenerate Spheroid barbarians.

Here's an example of what a scrambled and unscrambled datasheet might look like:

Of course, veteran Battletech fans might be able to break the scrambling themselves simply by examining the sprite and/or noting how the mech is being piloted, but hey, that's all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That seems fun at a first glance!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I think at a glance, making probes more useflu - rewarding taking recon units instead of heavier mechs - needs to answer a quick question:

Do you want them to recieve -mechanical- bonuses?
Or is it going to be -intangables- or play-aids?
Or both?

If the first, small things like expanding the 'reduces cover penalty' to include things like night fighting or smoke(its an active probe - radar suite assumed), or throwing some perks for indirect fire (example: additionally functions as a recon camera)
or even, perhaps, allowing called shots to limbs only (borrowing clan ei implants rules)

If the latter, things like ... 'can target an enemy to discern their next probable move' would be good. Instead of giving a mechanical advantage, a recon player can say 'I want to use my sensor and analysis engie to guess what ___ unit- might do', and the gm can say 'it wants to advance and shoot the closest mech/biggest enemy/' or something tangible the players can plan that board game around. A mock preview, for example.

Other things could be a small points list. Ex: gain a recon point for bringing a recon tagged unit, another for a full probe unit, gain another one for it surviving', and spend those points to find/discover some combination of: bonus objective(cash payouts), boons (there's minefields -here- leftover from the old war that the other side doesn't know about - maybe you can run them into them?), small things like initiative/tempo: because of your information advantage - you the enemy at a wrong time, and one of their slower mechs isn't just late to the party, they enter the map on turn 2-3 instead of already in formation. Who knew a union-mandated lunch break for the tank crew could be so devastating!
It was touched on in PTN's alpha strike thing, but there's other potentials like 'the locals want to do some mineral and ground surveys but don't want to wait for an offworld survey crew - if you're willing to run your recon mech around a survey area they'll pay for it, and as a bonus it gets to show up to the fight late, but from an unusual map entrance.

In short, it comes down to whether you want #'s to do the talking or scenario based bonuses.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

If the first, small things like expanding the 'reduces cover penalty' to include things like night fighting or smoke(its an active probe - radar suite assumed), or throwing some perks for indirect fire (example: additionally functions as a recon camera)
or even, perhaps, allowing called shots to limbs only (borrowing clan ei implants rules)

Mechanically, I have to play by MegaMek's fairly rigid rules. However, I can probably do something about weather / night fighting by temporarily assigning various SPAs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla, in the event that player mechs take fire from an ECM scrambled unit, will the weapon hit/miss/DMG callouts be scrambled as well? Eg you can't tell what kind of hunchback is firing at you so you don't know what kind of weapons it has, but you might infer it has an AC10 based on range and damage output. Otherwise it might be too easy to work out which variant of which mech is shooting at us based on weapons fire.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would imagine that most 'mech jocks who aren't absolute greenhorns could tell the difference between a hit from an auto cannon vs a laser. More experience could get you more precise identification.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Scintilla, in the event that player mechs take fire from an ECM scrambled unit, will the weapon hit/miss/DMG callouts be scrambled as well? Eg you can't tell what kind of hunchback is firing at you so you don't know what kind of weapons it has, but you might infer it has an AC10 based on range and damage output. Otherwise it might be too easy to work out which variant of which mech is shooting at us based on weapons fire.

Damage values are basically impossible to disguise, but I can hide hit numbers by simply not showing them. Here's what a typical exchange might look like:

Weapons fire for Hunchback (OpFor):
-Fires Ballistic Weapon at (Player Mech); Hits Centre Torso! (Player Mech) takes 10 damage to Centre Torso, xx/yy Armour remaining.
-Fires Energy Weapon at (Player Mech); Misses!

Similarly, I can disguise the exact armour values by simply not saying how much armour the scrambled unit has left:

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hunchback (OpFor); needs 5, rolls 10: Hits Left Torso! Hunchback (OpFor) takes 8 damage to Left Torso!

Crits can also be disguised - I'll report that the scrambled unit has taken a critical hit, but won't tell the players what exactly has been damaged.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

HBK: my safest movement option (2018) leaves me just taking potshots at etienne and I can't get any fire on the statue. I want to stay away from the Goblin with its SRMs given the state of my RT...

my other option would be to get to 1720 and hope i don't get fragged to try to pressure etienne?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ostsol

I'm stepping up to the statue.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'm going to stand over the Goblin and finish off the statue.

Scintilla, can I jump into the hex with the Goblin without it being a DFA?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Scintilla posted:

Mechanically, I have to play by MegaMek's fairly rigid rules. However, I can probably do something about weather / night fighting by temporarily assigning various SPAs.

Maybe you could edit the BAP-equipped units to have positive quirks? That would have the problem of the granted abilities not being removed on BAP destruction, but might open things up a little.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I think we can ignore the Vedette, it's basically 1 ML worth of fire on our flanks and if we can pop the Prince it's game over.

The Goblin is a real threat. I agree the VTR should jump there. Kick odds would be 9 I think? Bit risky in that if you miss it's a check to fall but it would deal good amount of damage.

I will run to 1919 facing SE and fire my RA ML at the statue and a 1 LL at the Prince.

HBK - I'd say go to 2018 and turn South, this will cut off the Vedette from getting a shot at you this turn.

Edit: Submitted, didn't have time this weekend to look to deeply at the positions.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 27, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

I think at a glance, making probes more useflu - rewarding taking recon units instead of heavier mechs - needs to answer a quick question:

Do you want them to recieve -mechanical- bonuses?
Or is it going to be -intangables- or play-aids?
Or both?

Sadly, "making recon units more useful" just isn't possible. The size of the maps are too small to make scouting for enemies worthwhile and most recon 'Mechs are fast so they can avoid combat.

The best way to run recon is off-board, prior to a fight. You've got a recon unit of some sort, so you scout the enemy in advance (risking a disadvantageous fight with a light recon lance where their primary objective is escape) in exchange for a more advantageous fight with a battle lance. It'd probably have to be up to the thread whether they risk a shallow incursion (lower risk, or maybe an automatic escape for low or no advantage) or a deep incursion (higher risk, more advantage, starts an actual fight between the scout lance and a pursuit lance if they're caught)

One alternative way to make active probe more useful would be to actually use hidden units. Or, more specifically, a hidden unit. Hide a single (or even multiple) 3rd faction truck(s) somewhere on the map and have the active probe give a general direction and a hot / cold. If the active probe unit reveals the truck the players can loot it by moving onto its hex and get some bonus c-bills or something at the end of the mission. 'Mechs with improved sensors could find the truck by accident, but the active probe unit can actively go searching for it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

You can.

Gnoman posted:

Maybe you could edit the BAP-equipped units to have positive quirks? That would have the problem of the granted abilities not being removed on BAP destruction, but might open things up a little.

That's a possibility, although it raises the question of which quirks would be appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Otter Madness posted:

I'm going to stand over the Goblin and finish off the statue.

You can jump into a vehicles hex without dfa. Anything you can share the hex with for that matter, jump into battle armor if that's your thing