Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
cards with seals don't count as enhanced cards for vampire. ahhhhhhahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Vampire is just overtuned. It seems too good even without gold mask, though maybe not in orange+ because you wont always have a bunch of random useless enhancements in your deck.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

barnold posted:

you keep whatever your current built multiplier is but if it has no jokers to destroy you don't get the +0.5X. it worked for the next two rounds but I didn't have enough juice to keep the chips piling in

nah madness doesn't care if it eats stuff. note that the way madness is worded it gains the multiplier *before* it tries to destroy anything

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finally finished the Blast Off challenge, though I admit it was more luck than skill:

(That's a Holographic Blueprint to the left of the first Constellation.)

It's real easy to get screwed in the first couple of blinds in this challenge, either by bad hands or by not getting a decent Joker.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

barnold posted:

cards with seals don't count as enhanced cards for vampire. ahhhhhhahahahahahah

Yeah, there are three different types of card buffs:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Enhancements: Mult, Gold, Steel, Glass, Wild, Bonus, Lucky, Stone

Editions: Base, Holographic, Polychrome, Foil, Negative

Seals: Red, Purple, Blue, Gold

A card can have one of each of these.

Vampire only cares about the first group.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Guess who just discovered that the "create a random joker, destroy all other jokers" spectral only works if you have a joker to destroy!
i just read ankh more carefully, whoops

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Do unlocks count in Challenges? I feel like they don't: Tried to get a Steam achievement/my last 3 Jokers and they didn't seem to take. It's not that big of a deal (and I did want to beat some more Challenges for their own sake anyway), but it would be good to know so I don't waste time trying for the 3 non-automatic progression based Steam achievements I've got left.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

This run is getting silly with the Polychrome

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, there are three different types of card buffs:

Vampire only cares about the first group.
my number one wish for balatro is they make these distinctions clearer. It would go a long way if they put ENHANCEMENT, EDITION, and SEAL as headers in the descriptions.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
That tarot card that has a 1/4 in adding a mod to your joker always puts me on tilt with that 'Nope!' lol but I buy it like a sucker every time.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Speaking of card buffs, does a red sealed steel card proc twice or is the seal activated by actually scoring a card in a poker hand? I've never intentionally tried one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tafferling posted:

Speaking of card buffs, does a red sealed steel card proc twice or is the seal activated by actually scoring a card in a poker hand? I've never intentionally tried one.
i'm pretty sure the seal activates gold cards twice so i imagine it would work on steel as well

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jossar posted:

Do unlocks count in Challenges? I feel like they don't: Tried to get a Steam achievement/my last 3 Jokers and they didn't seem to take. It's not that big of a deal (and I did want to beat some more Challenges for their own sake anyway), but it would be good to know so I don't waste time trying for the 3 non-automatic progression based Steam achievements I've got left.

Nope.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tafferling posted:

Yes, it procs twice.

A red sealed card that happens to be the lowest card in your hand will proc rebellion twice, too.

No Wave posted:

Vampire is just overtuned. It seems too good even without gold mask, though maybe not in orange+ because you wont always have a bunch of random useless enhancements in your deck.

My run yesterday started off with two Polychrome Vampires. Unfortunately, you can't level them both in the same hand.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Balatro

https://streamable.com/4yk5dl

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Finally grabbed that final, elusive voucher. Also, as usual, I'm on some stupid bullshit. getting $40 of interest every round.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OH MY GOODNESS, IT ISN'T A PRANK

IT WORKS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I actually gasped aloud. According to Stats I've played 19 of these across my two profiles.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
It's always magical when you can get the Wheel to work.

Burned through another couple of challenges this morning. Can't tell if I got lucky, but the Omelette just feels much harder than the rest of them so far. In the vein of "neat little puzzle of what would you do in a forced situation" they're pretty amusing. Definitely room for more of them to be produced.

EDIT: Apparently you can just force the game to register you as having infinity if you score high enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1b12pbr/sorry_perkeo_but_i_can_do_this_alone_first/

According to the guy who posted the video, at some point Balatro will still consider there to be a fail state (apart from, you know, the game crashing) so you can't just keep doing this for literal eternity.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 27, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of challenges, if you're going to have a challenge that limits you to 1 hand, you could at least disable the boss that sets discards to 0.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What's the best/easiest deck to stake climb with? I've been trying Yellow but it's not working nearly as well as I'd like. I just want to unlock all the decks, then I can go back to saner difficulty. I'm currently on Green stake with the Yellow deck, for reference.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

What's the best/easiest deck to stake climb with? I've been trying Yellow but it's not working nearly as well as I'd like. I just want to unlock all the decks, then I can go back to saner difficulty. I'm currently on Green stake with the Yellow deck, for reference.

Checkered deck.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Picked this up last night and managed to eke out a red win using a silly combo. Had the joker that improves the mult by x2 whenever you play two pair, the joker that has a mult equal to the number of times a hand has been played, and the one that gives a 1 in 4 chance to upgrade your played hand. Final boss had the blind that disables a joker per hand but I burned the joker that disables a boss blind when sold but it ended up not mattering since I beat the blind scoring 70k it with a two-pair of 10’s and 3’s on the first hand. One thing I prefer STS on to this is milking hands; Spent a lot of the run milking hands to get me as many upgrades to my jokers as possible. Why win when you can play/discard your deck until you find all the tarot seals and gold cards?

Having a blast though; Fun game and almost scared of the amount of unlocks and different decks.

Person Dyslexic fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 27, 2024

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I had a game ending on the blind that disabled a random joker. I also had a judgement tarot card. I considered selling my disabled joker and playing my judgement since it was the final hand but I assumed it would just disable another random joker after the fact. Could have been an interesting play to eke out a win. Luckily it disabled my eternity money joker and not a scoring joker.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The publisher is saying that the game achieved profitability within an hour of launch and coasted past the $1 million mark in just eight hours.

That's good, right...?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Kins posted:

The publisher is saying that the game achieved profitability within an hour of launch and coasted past the $1 million mark in just eight hours.

That's good, right...?

As a far of this type of game it should keep them active in supporting it and motivate others to take a crack at the genre so yes.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Maths question:

So, a lot of situations when drawing for something are obvious.

Flush: keep your suited cards.
Straight: keep your straight cards.
Double Pair to Full House: keep your paired up cards.

(We're assuming that the cards you need are still in the deck.)

But what's the strategy when you have Three of a Kind, and you're drawing to a Full House?

I'm assuming you keep the 3, but how many of the others do you keep? One? Two? Three? What gives you the best odds of getting another pair?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Jossar posted:

It's always magical when you can get the Wheel to work.

Burned through another couple of challenges this morning. Can't tell if I got lucky, but the Omelette just feels much harder than the rest of them so far. In the vein of "neat little puzzle of what would you do in a forced situation" they're pretty amusing. Definitely room for more of them to be produced.

EDIT: Apparently you can just force the game to register you as having infinity if you score high enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1b12pbr/sorry_perkeo_but_i_can_do_this_alone_first/

According to the guy who posted the video, at some point Balatro will still consider there to be a fail state (apart from, you know, the game crashing) so you can't just keep doing this for literal eternity.

There's just something really satisfying about watching the numbers freakout as they climb higher and higher.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uXs posted:

Maths question:

So, a lot of situations when drawing for something are obvious.

Flush: keep your suited cards.
Straight: keep your straight cards.
Double Pair to Full House: keep your paired up cards.

(We're assuming that the cards you need are still in the deck.)

But what's the strategy when you have Three of a Kind, and you're drawing to a Full House?

I'm assuming you keep the 3, but how many of the others do you keep? One? Two? Three? What gives you the best odds of getting another pair?

It’s going to depend on how many of the cards in your hand are left in your deck. You’ll want to keep whichever one you have the most of, or depending on hand size and what your deck looks like possibly the top two. Whether you have a chance at quads (or would even want them) matters too.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
a rare/legendary joker that adds the coins and/or mult from all applicable hands would be cool. like you play A-K-K-7-7 suited and you get the flush plus the two pair. a goon can dream

I realize there is already "add X mult if hand contains Y" jokers but this would be a bigger badder version

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

play a flush five and walk off to make a sandwich

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I found out today you can get a five of a kind flush.

I got a card that makes a negative copy of any consumable, and then put a blueprint joker next to it. And then I just made as many buffed ace of spades as possible every hand with the copy card tarot. AND i found out you can move your jokers around so I would use blueprint on something else in the hand, and then switch it back in the shop.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My advice for getting a full house is to get two pairs in your hand, discard everything else, get three pairs in hand, use your last discard on everything else, get four pairs in hand, get frustrated, carefully examine your remaining cards in deck to determine the best odds you have to get a third copy of one of your cards in hand to show up, play a two pair for almost no points to make room in your hand, immediately draw a third copy of one of the pairs you got rid of and die.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
fyi if you have two vampires, only the leftmost one gets bigger when removing the modifiers

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/45eMhq3

This was a ridiculously fun run. Started with a joker I badly underestimated -- the burnt guy that upgrades the first hand you discard each round, which is generally high card. As a result, ended up with high card around level 10 before I stupidly ditched him. Afterwards, with a negative egg just accruing value and the joker that grants mult based on the value of your jokers, plus blackboard, plus perkeo crapping out planets, plus Yorick and his mults, I could just discard any red cards each round, usually scored as a high card, and blow through everything.

Game's so good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It’s kind of unfortunate that you can end up worse off with a flush house than a normal full house based on hand level. It feels like the specialty hands (5 of a kind vs 4 of a kind, flush house) should always be at least one level above the base hand. Like, the floor of the chip and multiplier should be at least wherever you have the base hand’s.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It would be nice if some of your levels on lesser hands fed into the level of their greater versions, like if my levels on flush and full house contributed a couple levels to flush house to make it easier to transition into that in the late game.

Maybe the dev can make a deck like that. :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Squinky v2.0 posted:

fyi if you have two vampires, only the leftmost one gets bigger when removing the modifiers

that's why you want a blueprint and a vampire

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wonder what happens if I take this with only 1 hand...

Edit: lol

Edit #2: Shockingly, I did not die! It just re-set my # of hands to 1 at the next blind.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What happens if you take it on Ante 1?