Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The battery life debate is really hard for me to get a handle on because you'll find advice from people you think would have authoritative answers and who give detailed, reasonably sounding explanations but come to very different conclusions. Even when the manufacture of the phone, or even that of the battery itself, has a recommendation in the instructions smart-seeming people will say it's wrong again give detailed explanations as to why.

I've been using my S21 for over 3 years including keeping it plugged in until full and letting it drain entirely. Other than it rapidly (within a minute) going from 100% to 97% (always 97%) I haven't noticed any difference in battery life. And maybe even that quirk might not be due to misuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of the Samsung S21... it's to be expected but still odd that it's being treated as an obsolete phone. Upgrade if you want! But it's running the latest Android and will get the upgrade to 15 shortly after that comes out. The specs are still very similar. Overall it's still a powerhouse. Not in the 'Why upgrade from a Pixel 3? It still works sometimes, kinda' way but in the 'runs every app and game including those known to require a top-of-the-line device without lag' way. Without looking too much into it, all the S2X models seem to be iterations of the same generation of phone. The S24 has a new edge shape and AI built but that's about it. I'm sure there are more differences despite the near identical numbers but if you need to dig that deep than should you?

Only problem for me is the camera. I'm not a big photo person but the few photos I do take are rubbish. I've shown this to people better at phone than me and they couldn't help but agreed that it shouldn't be this way. Resetting everything and even getting advice on here hasn't helped. If I could go a week without it and just using my emergency backup I would bring it to the service centre. It's no longer under warranty but the centre has done things out of warranty for Samsung products before. They showed me their screen which just has a tick box for 'Product still under warrantee or covered by care plan'. They don't even need to enter a serial number. One time they gave me new Buds2 when mine went quiet. They say that it's clearly a manufacturing issue and I shouldn't have to suffer just because the warrantee period is offer. Being more cynical I imagine that they get paid by Samsung per service (it's the official branded Samsung centre but it's a franchise not owned by Samsung) and it's in their interest to white lie. But I'm not complaining.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bright Bart posted:

Speaking of the Samsung S21... it's to be expected but still odd that it's being treated as an obsolete phone.

Who is treating it like an obsolete phone? As you say, it's still getting updated.

The biggest knock on the S21 series is the SoC wasn't all that great no matter if you had Snapdragon or Exynos.

The SD888 isn't really that great for battery efficiency or thermal management and the Exynos of the same vintage has the same issues.

But if you are fine with the battery life, performance, and thermals then there's no compelling reason to upgrade.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm rocking the Amazon refurb Pixel 5 at work today just for kicks. I didn't really trust the battery life to put my sim in it. I still don't actually because it's at 85% 3.5 hours off charger with less than 1 hour SOT. It exhibited the same behavior mentioned above, rapidly losing 8% charge in a few minutes before the drain slowed.

Other than that, I am super impressed with its performance compared to my P8Pro. Installing app updates is slower, but scrolling in lovely apps (like reddit) is fluid and it's still generally very responsive. Feels way better than the old iPhone 12 I also have laying about.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My Pixel 5a is still performing wonderfully, but I can think of 3 apps that challenge it - Outlook, Teams, and by far the worst is the Tim Horton's app. Everything else though works just fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

Other than that, I am super impressed with its performance compared to my P8Pro. Installing app updates is slower, but scrolling in lovely apps (like reddit) is fluid and it's still generally very responsive. Feels way better than the old iPhone 12 I also have laying about.

Given my sample of devices I have on hand, Reddit is a disaster and changes constantly as far as how smooth the scrolling is.

I think part of it is how they update the display vs the various adaptive frame rate techs we have now and I think that can change vs what's in your timeline while you are scrolling (video, images, etc).

My S24U has been generally really smooth at Reddit, until this morning when it was worse than my P8P, then it got better later.

OnePlus has been hit or miss with Reddit. Sometimes smooth, sometimes not. The app is just a mess generally.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah it's garbage. The Awful app on the other hand shames most everything in terms of smoothness. It even sips power compared to many apps. Probably because it's not constantly loading in ad videos and other poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bull3964 posted:

Reddit is a disaster

Can't be overstated. old.reddit.com in a browser is the only possible way that hellsite is usable now and I know they're going to kill it any day now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also on that note. Keep in mind that anything you may post there is now going to be sold to Google to train AI.

https://blog.google/inside-google/company-announcements/expanded-reddit-partnership/

In other fun tech news, Engadget, which has been declining for a while, is getting gutted completely to focus on "growth."

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/22/24080215/engadget-layoffs-tech-news-blogs-editorial-restructuring

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bull3964 posted:

Also on that note. Keep in mind that anything you may post there is now going to be sold to Google to train AI.

https://blog.google/inside-google/company-announcements/expanded-reddit-partnership/

Pretty sure everything you may have posted there in the past was already scraped to train existing LLMs so not really a change there except reddit is getting paid for it this time.

e: in battery life chat, my P7P barely lasted a year before the battery life noticeably went to poo poo. More manageable these days due to the super fast charging, but still not ideal when traveling and such. Usually haven't had phones get to this point until closer to 2 years of use.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 23, 2024

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

In other fun tech news, Engadget, which has been declining for a while, is getting gutted completely to focus on "growth."

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/22/24080215/engadget-layoffs-tech-news-blogs-editorial-restructuring

lol if you thought everything you posted on reddit wasn't already sold/scraped

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

We regret to inform you Gemini is now a paedophile

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really really hope that the Pixel 9/Fold 2 uses Gorilla Glass Armor with the anti glare layer because its easily one of the nicest things about the S24U.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
In terms of Reddit apps, Relay is still alive and kicking post API changes, with a sub now of course. But you can get it as cheap as $1/month if you can keep your usage low, which I was able to do. Definitely worth it if you spend a significant amount of time browsing reddit on your phone.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I haven’t had an android phone since the Galaxy Nexus (what a loving dumpster fire the Sprint version of that phone was) and my experience with the last three android phones I had turned me off on them entirely for the last decade —

That said my iPhone 13 Pro has been the worst experience on an Apple device I have ever had. iOS updates killing my ringer, apps not giving notifications and my battery having gone to poo poo has me probably coming back to Team Green this weekend. Found out I can trade my iPhone in and get a S24 Ultra for $20 a month where getting a new iPhone would be $50+, and honestly the biggest pain in the rear end for me will likely be just getting my 2FA apps reinstalled and figuring out what new things I’ll need to learn.

I’m actually really excited to switch. The S24U looks like a really neat phone!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

How much per month for a S24 or S24+?

If you've gotten used to the iPhone maybe consider screen size. Maybe. I can't get used to screens that big and I have objectively larger hands than most.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I have huge dinner plate hands and used to have an iPhone Pro Max so I’m pretty used to large phones. However the difference in cost monthly for the Plus is $5 ($15 a month) and for the base model it’d be I think $1 a month? So basically free.

While I’m no pro photographer I do take all of our family photos and like the camera on the Ultra. Not sure what the other trade offs are tho.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the S24U isn't going to feel all that big from someone that's used to a Pro MAX iPhone.

I'm my opinion, the glass itself is a huge upgrade over the S24/S24+.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My dad has an S23 whose display has suddenly gone entirely black and white. The phone boots up in color, but after a couple of minutes the display just switches to black and white and he (and I) don't know why. Peeking through the Settings, I don't see any options to go entirely grayscale. I doubt he'd have the interest in going into those settings and randomly adjusting something either. Any ideas?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There's a routine to put it in grayscale at bedtime https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/mobile-devices/how-to-troubleshoot-when-the-samsung-phone-display-is-unexpectedly-grayscale/

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

How come I can easily search for and subscribe to obscure podcasts in the Podcasts app but they are nowhere to be seen in YT Music. I have to manually enter the RSS feed url whereas Podcasts just found it. This is the poo poo they want me to use for podcasts now?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is there a default android camera app? Like, I know most manufacturers have their own but when you have these small brands nobody has heard of what do they use? I'd figure there would be one made by Google at one point. I ask because I figure this may once and for all show me if my S21's poor picture taking is hardware or software error, using a different app. Maybe you even know one that's better than the default if one exists?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Will probably have to scout XDA for "Samsung Galaxy S21 (Snapdragon or Exynos) Gcam port". Gcam seems to get ported to a ton of devices with varying degrees of success.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bright Bart posted:

Is there a default android camera app? Like, I know most manufacturers have their own but when you have these small brands nobody has heard of what do they use? I'd figure there would be one made by Google at one point. I ask because I figure this may once and for all show me if my S21's poor picture taking is hardware or software error, using a different app. Maybe you even know one that's better than the default if one exists?

This?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's not compatible with my phone. Is that what Androids from other than the big brands that have their own use?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
OpenCamera should help you test out if it's a software or hardware issue.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sad Panda posted:

OpenCamera should help you test out if it's a software or hardware issue.

Thanks! I did end up installing and trying this and GrapheneOS Secure Camera (which the Play store recommended on looking up your suggestion).

It doesn't seem that they can take the quality of photos I would expect from a flagship Samsung and I mentioned before others also think there is something off. The photos look fine, nothing special but also nothing terrible until you zoom in even a little and notice how grainy it is. All three apps are like this. (I also can't, for instance, zoom in on text too far to read with my own eyes and make out what is written; that's apparently something you can do with high-end phone cameras.)

Both have better colour balance out of the box than I'm getting with S Camera letting it do its thing. Overall they look better. But I won't switch over because there are just are few things S Camera does do better like selfies.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
Not quite a phone question but: I bought a pair of the Pixel USB-C wired headphones for my P8, decided I really wanted to use them with my desktop(which has no C ports on the front), got a Monoprice USB-C -> USB-A adapter and plugged them in.

Didn't show up as a connected device with the desktop and now they don't register with any other device--the Pixel wants to charge it & my work laptop doesn't see it as a USB device at all. Did I accidentally fry them?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If I'm using Google Calendar's holiday calendar for multiple countries, is there a way to get it to color code it by country or am I stuck with one color for everything?

I know I could create custom calendars and copy the individual holidays over but that's a lot of :effort:.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mecha posted:

Not quite a phone question but: I bought a pair of the Pixel USB-C wired headphones for my P8, decided I really wanted to use them with my desktop(which has no C ports on the front), got a Monoprice USB-C -> USB-A adapter and plugged them in.

Didn't show up as a connected device with the desktop and now they don't register with any other device--the Pixel wants to charge it & my work laptop doesn't see it as a USB device at all. Did I accidentally fry them?

It's possible.

Female USB-C to male USB-A is actually against spec. There's no way to build an adapter like that to conform to any standard because the standard actually doesn't allow it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Work is phasing out paying people's bills and thus are giving me a work phone. I use Dex quite a bit and shame on Google for not apeing that on the pixel line. So I'm wondering if the S24 battery is worth a gently caress and lo and behold I come back to the thread and it's immediately battery discussion.

Our senile former boss demanded the ultra for a new manager, and that person in fact wanted an iPhone. So I may wind up with their ultra, which kinda sucks it's nearly a year old. Come a long way from my old job where we finally were given bottom of the line J8s that were talk and text only.

I almost picked the pixel just to get away from Samsung's wretched keyboard which is the only option for work apps. But I just can't do without Dex. It's nice having a 32" USB C monitor with built in hub that instantly turns my phone into a desktop while charging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If I had a work phone instead of reimbursement of personal phone, I would want the tiniest phone possible for the work phone (S24 or iPhone SE) because it would be so rarely used and I would want something small if I had to bring it with me somewhere in addition to my phone.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Dex is quite cool but my phone is fast and my laptop is fast and I have to assume the connection between them is fast but there's significant lag doing anything even typing in the S Notes app.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I finally got around to backing up/factory resetting my Galaxy Note 10 so I could fix that issue with Google Play services, but now I'm having an issue with Google's two-step verification. It keeps saying it's sending the verification notification but I'm not seeing anything. 'Try another way' leads me into this roundabout loop where it takes me back to the failing two-step verification. How do I fix this? Thanks.

Edit: nvm, I guess it just didn't want to push the notification until the setup and downloads were all done. Works now.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 27, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mister Speaker posted:

So I finally got around to backing up/factory resetting my Galaxy Note 10 so I could fix that issue with Google Play services, but now I'm having an issue with Google's two-step verification. It keeps saying it's sending the verification notification but I'm not seeing anything. 'Try another way' leads me into this roundabout loop where it takes me back to the failing two-step verification. How do I fix this? Thanks.

Edit: nvm, I guess it just didn't want to push the notification until the setup and downloads were all done. Works now.

I've been in that loop before. What I do now is keep my old phone in front of me (if that's your scenario) to authorised everything before wiping that.

Other mitigation is even temporarily adding another email address or phone number until setup is complete.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Oneplus's 12r genshin impact themed version went on preorder today and sold out in minutes. Guys really know their user base.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The google photos app dims photos when displayed full screen and it is driving me bonkers. There are lots of hits about this on google but none of them really explain what is going on or offer a solution.

It happens with photos taken with my phone's camera. It does not happen with photos taken with a "real" camera.

Some of the "solutions" seem to be to have the camera app not take hdr photos, or do, or something. But uh it seems wrong to change how the camera stores photos so the loving photo app doesn't screw up displaying them :colbert:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My Pixel 5a is still performing wonderfully, but I can think of 3 apps that challenge it - Outlook, Teams, and by far the worst is the Tim Horton's app. Everything else though works just fine.

As an American why do you have the tims app. Also it got in trouble for sending a lot of data to some server

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
There are tim Hortons in America so that’s probably why.

Tim hortons tracking you, google tracking you, what’s the difference eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm Canadian (actually a dual citizen), and I'm living in Canada. There are at least two locations in walking distance of my apartment, and four I can walk to from my office.