Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

beepo posted:

He did keep it up for a few weeks, but it was bit like Frankie Kazarian Elite Hunter. I don't even remember the specifics of the feud (NWO b team stuff?), but he was so clearly playing second or possible third fiddle to other feuds while fully committing himself to this feud to ensure no one mistakes him for a star.

Mean Gene: "John The Shark Tenta hasn't forgotten what you did to him and is keeping his beard half shorn as motivation to avenge your disgraceful act. Will you be ready for him?"

NWO intern: "Best of luck to Shawn Hentai and I hope he gets better soon, but Hollywood Hogan and the NWO have bigger fish to fry."

Not at least giving Kaz the win over Gallows is one of AEW's most questionable match results. I will never get over how protected GB were in their run.

Drakkel posted:

poo poo like this is why I'm continually Baffled by people who think Bischoff knows how to save AEW or whatever the gently caress

He'd hire Hogan for 10 million dollars a month then promptly poo poo his pants and die as soon as Collision did a bad number.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

HonorableTB posted:

Speaking of Hulk Hogan I just found a blast from my childhood, still worked even! Video should have sound

https://imgur.com/bgtMjYr

I still remember the commercial with the Goldberg one yelling “HEY! Get offa my…NOSE!!”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Scott Hall! (after losing to him once, because Larry Zybysko attacked Hall during their second match to promote their PPV match, allowing Traylor to pin him)

Still wild that the only person they allowed to get any traction against the NWO for the longest time was the heel announcer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Are heels ever allowed clean pins/wins?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Giants come to mind.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Are heels ever allowed clean pins/wins?

no Giant Baba only invented clean wins a couple years ago in japan so it takes like a decade to filter over

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

no Giant Baba only invented clean wins a couple years ago in japan so it takes like a decade to filter over

Seriously?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Rikidōzan invented clean wins, actually

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

He'd hire Hogan for 10 million dollars a month then promptly poo poo his pants and die as soon as Collision did a bad number.

"Tony have you ever heard of Sturgis?"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
russo and bischoff have somehow managed to convince people that they are good at running a business because of their podcasts that is mostly bitching about AEW it owns

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

russo and bischoff have somehow managed to convince people that they are good at running a business because of their podcasts that is mostly bitching about AEW it owns

They would be good if they could invent a time machine to stop dusty from being fired, allowing ric to continue to blade, and killing Jim herd.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Yes and no, Its probably weekly live tv in the us where heels will just beat people outside of squash matches

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

time machine goals: shake jamie kellners hand before he cancels wcw and change the timeline forever!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

Yes and no, Its probably weekly live tv in the us where heels will just beat people outside of squash matches

When you say squash matches are you talking jobber beat downs or when a baby face and heel have a match but it isn't resolved?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

When you say squash matches are you talking jobber beat downs or when a baby face and heel have a match but it isn't resolved?

Yes. You generally only have a decisive win for the end of the angle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There was a genuine belief in some old school wrestlers that the heel must always be a worse wrestler than the babyface and only be able to win through cheating or underhanded means.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

There was a genuine belief in some old school wrestlers that the heel must always be a worse wrestler than the babyface and only be able to win through cheating or underhanded means.

Is that why the midnight express was made to look like scrubs when they were both better wrestlers most everyone they fueded with?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Is that why the midnight express was made to look like scrubs when they were both better wrestlers most everyone they fueded with?

Yes. If the Express is just better than the Rock 'N Rolls and they win that way, well, they're just better. But if they have a little goblin in a terrible suit hit Ricky and/or Robert with a tennis racket to win that's a whole other thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yes. If the Express is just better than the Rock 'N Rolls and they win that way, well, they're just better. But if they have a little goblin in a terrible suit hit Ricky and/or Robert with a tennis racket to win that's a whole other thing.

Hey now. Robert was the good wrestler. Ricky was the good promo guy. Together they made 1 all time great.

Edit: Robert being boomhauer is funny. He would be a star today. People would love it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the heel is supposed to be unlikeable and dastardly until they arent then they become a face

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the heel is supposed to be unlikeable and dastardly until they arent then they become a face

If that was true then explain Ric Flair

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

If that was true then explain Ric Flair

ric would make face turns after being beaten and shake his opponents hand such as antonio inoki when inoki bested him in north korea

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What the heck happened with Ricjy steamboat in '89? He comes back and has an incredible fued with Flair for 5 months then disappears.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Hey now. Robert was the good wrestler. Ricky was the good promo guy. Together they made 1 all time great.

What Ricky was really good at was selling. People thought he was dying.

Mr Hootington posted:

What the heck happened with Ricjy steamboat in '89? He comes back and has an incredible fued with Flair for 5 months then disappears.

Contract dispute. He has three all-time classics and they wanted to lowball him so he left to go spit flaming gasoline in WWF for a while.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

What Ricky was really good at was selling. People thought he was dying.

Contract dispute. He has three all-time classics and they wanted to lowball him so he left to go spit flaming gasoline in WWF for a while.

Ricky probably was dying with the amount of drugs he did.

Ah. The usual story of why a wrestler left wcw during that period.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1762538969093357893

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Has anyone actually tried to push a heel who is legitimately good at wrestling(kayfabe wise)? IE, they always win clean. But they remain heel because they're absolute loving shitbags about it. Just super arrogant, milking cheap heat, go over the top heel just that they technically win by the book?

Like, even Kurt Angle was a cheating little poo poo most of the time.

All that comes to mind is technically monster heel initial megapushes, in which I guess they technically don't break any rules. But I'm thinking of literally more a Kurt Angle type.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NameHurtBrain posted:

Has anyone actually tried to push a heel who is legitimately good at wrestling(kayfabe wise)? IE, they always win clean. But they remain heel because they're absolute loving shitbags about it. Just super arrogant, milking cheap heat, go over the top heel just that they technically win by the book?

All that comes to mind is technically monster heel initial megapushes, in which I guess they technically don't break any rules. But I'm thinking of literally more a Kurt Angle type.

Mike Awesome ECW World Champ

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

NameHurtBrain posted:

Danielson at times

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Does Rhea win clean?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Does Mox ever cheat?

...is Mox even a heel?

Mox is an avatar of violence and rises above your petty heel/face dynamic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NameHurtBrain posted:

In the old days this was Nick Bockwinkel's deal more or less. He was smarter than you and better than you and you couldn't do a thing about it because he'd tie you in knots.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was very, very skillful the way he sold that feud with Lawler by saying "Well yes, he punched the poo poo out of me, but I'm a better wrestler. So I want to wrestle him again and I swear to God, if he punches me a lot, why I'll..."

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Nick Bockwinkel was so good. I love watching his old clips.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The idea is that if you have two wrestlers of even card status (low, middle, high), then the babyface is the better wrestler and should win if the match is clean, thus the heel needs to cheat to win because they would always lose otherwise.

Higher card heels can beat lower card babyfaces clean, usually in squashes, because they are better wrestlers.

The idea is that the babyface should always win except if that bastard heel cheats and next time the babyface is gonna get that son of a bitch so come back next week/month and see that no good prick get what he deserves. Bring your friends and your money.

NameHurtBrain posted:

I guess Lesnar comes to mind but I haven't watched any of his matches since he came back so someone tell me if I'm right or not tia.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
brock was booked as a force of nature that needed the belts for some reason and then they turned him face which never worked for brock because brock has always been naturally unlikable

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: Robert being boomhauer is funny. He would be a star today. People would love it.

I thought Bryan amd Vinny had long discussions if Rovert Gibson is the actual worst wrestler in the observer hall of fame because it was all Ricky Morton both in ring and promo and Gibson was the hot tag who didn't have to do poo poo and when they watched their matches Gibson was atrocious while Morton was brilliant.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lid posted:

I thought Bryan amd Vinny had long discussions if Rovert Gibson is the actual worst wrestler in the observer hall of fame because it was all Ricky Morton both in ring and promo and Gibson was the hot tag who didn't have to do poo poo and when they watched their matches Gibson was atrocious while Morton was brilliant.

I've seen just as many ricky hot tags as I have robert. They always swapped who pinned, was cheated, was being beat up, and who saved the day.

The only reason Robert was bad at promos was because of his voice. When you could actually understand him he was saying the same poo poo Ricky did.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 28, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

brock was booked as a force of nature that needed the belts for some reason and then they turned him face which never worked for brock because brock has always been naturally unlikable

Yeah, kind of like Vader. Face Vader wrestles absolutely the same so people have sympathy for whomever he's beating up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bryan goddamn Danielson is a pretty good example of a heel who will just murder a face. Also of a face who will just murder another face when alignments shift.

Edit: Vader too though, yeah, he just annihilated wrestlers, he was a mountain to climb. Miro was like that in his title run earlier in aew too. I would say heel Minoru Suzuki until about 2018 or 19 felt like he could and would beat anyone in the ring straight on if he would just give up on the Gotch and strangle the guy a little longer.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 28, 2024