Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Wait until you're doing missions and think it's a safe deployment, but you land next to two chargers.
"Now hear me out. The last few missions have been a cluster gently caress start that costs us five to ten minutes of loving around until we can obtain then recover our support weapons several times over. Not anybody's fault, the map is lying to us. So what if, we land on the extraction zone base contractually obligated to be empty even when surrounded. That will only cost us three minutes of extra walking if we don't fight everything on the way-okay we are hoping for the best on a pixel of 'safe' map by a side objective again. Tell Super Earth I love her."

Now watch it turn out the extraction base can actually have enemies inside of it by default, and I have just been lucky when this plan is put to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

e:nm

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 27, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The best deployments are when you drop in and it's just a few little guys but one immediately farts/flares and the poo poo hits the fan before you can even locate your buddies.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
r.e. rambo chat, it does obviously feel rude to have one dude run off and do their own thing, especially in a matchmaking context. This is a game about making fun memories 'with the boys'.

That said Ithink it is maybe a ding on the game itself though that the first few difficulty levels kind of encourage you to methodically mow down everything, but really everything from hard onwards you have to relearn your approach, by never letting yourself get bogged down and entrenched in a neverending fight.
I've been in plenty of matches, with friends and otherwise, where it's clear that people are still in that 1-4 difficulty mindset and end up burning like 10 minutes and all their stratagems in an unwinnable fight at the site of an objective that has long since been completed.

So I see why you might wanna just rambo your way out of there. I'd maybe suggest that it's better to try and communicate to your team that they need to stay on their feet and keep moving though. I think it'll just take a bit of time for people to learn the difficulty curve, so that you, and your boys, are still able to make those precious memories together.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

Now watch it turn out the extraction base can actually have enemies inside of it by default, and I have just been lucky when this plan is put to use.

It can.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vargs posted:

It can.
:negative: I want my plans to be good on purpose instead of "Only the second biggest idiot on the field today!" accident.

Or "Wow good thing I saw these three rare samples you were inches away from as you sprinted past, thus validating my lagging behind even in light armor" All of my 19-20+ samples collected stats feel more because the detection range is poo poo, if not simply playing with people who have everything unlocked so don't care anymore... This might explain why I get better rare sample counts dropping down to hard, instead of bumblefucking my way to the finish line in suicide teams with no purple samples anyway.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 27, 2024

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Checking out some config options...

survey_url...?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Section Z posted:

"Now hear me out. The last few missions have been a cluster gently caress start that costs us five to ten minutes of loving around until we can obtain then recover our support weapons several times over. Not anybody's fault, the map is lying to us. So what if, we land on the extraction zone base contractually obligated to be empty even when surrounded. That will only cost us three minutes of extra walking if we don't fight everything on the way-okay we are hoping for the best on a pixel of 'safe' map by a side objective again. Tell Super Earth I love her."

I've had a Bile Titan just chilling on the extraction point before when I landed there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

Checking out some config options...

survey_url...?

Well, what's the video about? Does it work?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
XcQ, link stays blue. I'd know that URL anywhere.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The Grumbles posted:

So I see why you might wanna just rambo your way out of there. I'd maybe suggest that it's better to try and communicate to your team that they need to stay on their feet and keep moving though. I think it'll just take a bit of time for people to learn the difficulty curve, so that you, and your boys, are still able to make those precious memories together.

The trick is to shout “Helldivers, we are LEAVING” into voice chat like you’re on LV-426.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tensokuu posted:

XcQ, link stays blue. I'd know that URL anywhere.

I had to google that, I get it now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Something I've noticed that's a huge factor in why I hate bugs so much, is that they're endless in a way robots never are. In a mission just now I went to a PoI, cleared it, and then as soon as I turned around there were at least a dozen bugs without any breach warning. Then a bug breach happened. Then another happened. And another. Aside from the fact that the armored bugs can call in breaches, it seems like you just kind of can't stop it? Like, if a robot pulls out one of those beacons, you shoot it and it stops, and if you kill it they never summon a drop ship. But with bugs, the instant they fart those orange clouds that's it. And then they just chain from there. And once you hit the higher difficulties each wave of bugs means three to five chargers and probably a titan or two and it sucks.

Also it's annoying the game doesn't remember your gun preferences, I don't like having to turn my gun off of burst every time I start a new mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Also it's annoying the game doesn't remember your gun preferences, I don't like having to turn my gun off of burst every time I start a new mission.

There is a setting for it, but it seems really inconsistent for support weapons. "Okay it remembers my AMR zoom setting (I think?) but dusting off the machinegun I have to reset the RoF every time"

Meanwhile, my pistol set to "Flashlight ALWAYS on because it amuses me" tends to remember even that setting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuebot posted:

Something I've noticed that's a huge factor in why I hate bugs so much, is that they're endless in a way robots never are. In a mission just now I went to a PoI, cleared it, and then as soon as I turned around there were at least a dozen bugs without any breach warning. Then a bug breach happened. Then another happened. And another. Aside from the fact that the armored bugs can call in breaches, it seems like you just kind of can't stop it? Like, if a robot pulls out one of those beacons, you shoot it and it stops, and if you kill it they never summon a drop ship. But with bugs, the instant they fart those orange clouds that's it. And then they just chain from there. And once you hit the higher difficulties each wave of bugs means three to five chargers and probably a titan or two and it sucks.

you do get endless robots if you get stuck near one or more of their fabricators

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has anyone successfully resolved the issue where a player's steam name is longer than 16 characters (PSN max apparently) and thus it is impossible to be seen by PSN players, or see PSN players on the social tab?

Its an incredibly bizarre bug that really puts a cramp in our crossplay friend group. Changing a users steam name to a shorter name doesn't propagate into HellDivers2, it retains the original steam name and is thus too long.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

JBP posted:

The best deployments are when you drop in and it's just a few little guys but one immediately farts/flares and the poo poo hits the fan before you can even locate your buddies.

land, throw out your first beacon, scan around and notice you landed right next to two dozen hunters. one farts and a bile titan starts clawing its way out of the earth

then you see the shimmer of half a dozen stalkers rapidly approaching your position

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

r.e. rambo chat, it does obviously feel rude to have one dude run off and do their own thing, especially in a matchmaking context. This is a game about making fun memories 'with the boys'.

That said Ithink it is maybe a ding on the game itself though that the first few difficulty levels kind of encourage you to methodically mow down everything, but really everything from hard onwards you have to relearn your approach, by never letting yourself get bogged down and entrenched in a neverending fight.
I've been in plenty of matches, with friends and otherwise, where it's clear that people are still in that 1-4 difficulty mindset and end up burning like 10 minutes and all their stratagems in an unwinnable fight at the site of an objective that has long since been completed.

I see where youre going but trying to get pubbies to stop shooting at something is like trying to get them to stop looting. 4/5 pub squads are definitely not going to listen to someone telling them to disengage.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I get that diving is a core concept of the game but honest I would give up laser drone if I could just get a combat roll that doesn't completely destroy my momentum when getting chased by hellbugs

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Has anyone else had bug patrols just... brazenly spawn around them?

I was just by myself in the middle of an empty field heading towards a POI, and then suddenly surrounded by at least 10 hunters and some smaller bugs. They seemed just as shocked as me, thankfully, meaning I managed to survive, but it was a terrifying thing for a moment, hah.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Seen clips of that with bots too

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They should adjust patrol spawns so they have to come from out of los and a certain distance away. It feels bad whenever that happens or at least add an animation for the bugs like burrowing from underground or something.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Jerkface posted:

They should adjust patrol spawns so they have to come from out of los and a certain distance away. It feels bad whenever that happens or at least add an animation for the bugs like burrowing from underground or something.

I think they do, Ive had a bug patrol unburrow next to me. Its like a mini bug breach almost.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dyz posted:

I think they do, Ive had a bug patrol unburrow next to me. Its like a mini bug breach almost.

Its not consistent then because I've had a huge patrol just blink into existence ontop of me.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yeahhhhh once you realize you can take Bile Titans out with a single well-placed Railgun shot, high-difficulty bug missions really lose their edge. The only challenge is managing multiple Chargers, and even then they have the unintentional side benefit of making you run the hell away from the bug horde. Just ran two bug Suicide Missions back to back and didn't die a single time because the shield backpack is even more ludicrously OP against bugs than it is against bots.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Its not consistent then because I've had a huge patrol just blink into existence ontop of me.

That's how they travel between planets.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've seen it happen a few times and the bugs sorta "warp" in like the director spawns them somewhere else and then rapidly moves them into position (right on top of you)

the fact that they end up directly on top of you definitely feels like some sort of system trying to place them near you but breaking down

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LuiCypher posted:

Yeahhhhh once you realize you can take Bile Titans out with a single well-placed Railgun shot, high-difficulty bug missions really lose their edge. The only challenge is managing multiple Chargers, and even then they have the unintentional side benefit of making you run the hell away from the bug horde. Just ran two bug Suicide Missions back to back and didn't die a single time because the shield backpack is even more ludicrously OP against bugs than it is against bots.

I have no idea why the backpack weapons are so much worse than the railgun, but they really are.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

railgun should proooooobably have a power supply backpack to work at all

it'd still have the disgusting armor pen/damage but you shouldn't be able to get that and a personal shield

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The railgun is too strong

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LuiCypher posted:

How do you oneshot a bile titan? Also, just from my personal experience I find the shield is worse against bugs than robots because if you're getting hit by a bug at all there's probably like five more also hitting you due to how they're all swarmy melee jerks.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Nuebot posted:

How do you oneshot a bile titan?

500KG bomb will do it if it hits close enough, maybe railcannon strike (haven't unlocked it).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It still makes me laugh when we all stop for hugs before hopping on the pelican.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nuebot posted:

How do you oneshot a bile titan? Also, just from my personal experience I find the shield is worse against bugs than robots because if you're getting hit by a bug at all there's probably like five more also hitting you due to how they're all swarmy melee jerks.

It's harder than hulks for me but it seems to be their temple/sort of the side/top of their head. I saw a video of spmeone doing it 3 times in a row and managed to do it twice out of maybe 20 shots while practicing. Mouth shots have done it too but thats rare for me and may have to do with the angle or how damaged they are.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It still makes me laugh when we all stop for hugs before hopping on the pelican.

Glad to see this trend taking over-- it's a beautiful moment in video games when 4 boys are just hugging each other riiiiiiight before a swarm of bugs gets to them

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Bots can summon dropships just as quickly as bugs, if that flare goes off the dropship is coming even if that flare went off sideways because the shooter lost their torso. The orange haze is the same as the flare, you've got to shoot them while they're dancing for half a second before it appears.

The fundamental difference is that only the basic raider/elite raider bots can shoot flares, meanwhile all the small bugs, hunters & Hive Guards can summon breaches, and hive commanders can summon guards. When a dropship flies down and drops several striders and devastators that's nasty but none of them can chain additional dropships. Bug breaches are basically guaranteed to spawn more stuff that can continue the chain, and guards are particularly good at being slow and tanky and having time to call more breaches from the back while you're busy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
SES Prophet of Opportunity signing in, dispensing space capitalism one brainwashed teenager at a time. :patriot:

Any tips for engaging Hulks in the relatively earlygame? Apart from the big heat vents on their backs, I'm guessing I should be going for their heads and shoulder joints with the EAT and anti-materiel rifle when I don't have big orbital boom available.

Also, if anyone has any good tips for how to evacuate essential personnel at higher difficulty levels when facing automata, that would be nice. The campaign is telling me I should be prioritising defence operations ATM.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

s1ppycup posted:

500KG bomb will do it if it hits close enough, maybe railcannon strike (haven't unlocked it).

yeah you gotta get right on it, a near miss will just really gently caress it up.

I just had a mission where my teammates were frantically running in one direction, I was frantically running in another, I realized the titan was following them and managed to pull off a perfectly timed and placed 500kg right on top of it. Felt amazing.

Then I died because I threw a grenade forgetting it was an impact.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Darth Walrus posted:

SES Prophet of Opportunity signing in, dispensing space capitalism one brainwashed teenager at a time. :patriot:

The ship names are just great. So far in my friend circle I've seen Father of Family Values, Will of the State ("I had to make it sound less like Triumph of the Will"), Custodian of Conviviality...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

flashman posted:

The railgun is too strong

imo the other weapons that should be effective on armor are too weak, especially on difficulties 8 and 9