Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the ceasefire talks sure are a nice gesture in tandem with the billions of dollars of missiles and poo poo we've been sending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
More states are considering making moves to ban phones in classrooms.

Several states considered it last year, but ultimately backed down.

Florida has a statewide bill going into effect that requires all Florida public schools to ban student cellphone use during class time and block access to social media on district Wi-Fi.

Florida is the only state with a statewide law, but many places in California and Maryland are also experimenting with policies that ban phones while in class and are considering banning them totally during the school day.

Oklahoma, Vermont and Kansas have introduced statewide legislation, but it hasn't been passed yet.

Somewhat related, but the U.K. just announced plans to ban phones in school as well.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1762500537138680273
https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1759594129955180883

quote:

Kids are using phones in class, even when it’s against the rules. Should schools ban them all day?

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — In California, a high school teacher complains that students watch Netflix on their phones during class. In Maryland, a chemistry teacher says students use gambling apps to place bets during the school day.

Around the country, educators say students routinely send Snapchat messages in class, listen to music and shop online, among countless other examples of how smartphones distract from teaching and learning.

The hold that phones have on adolescents in America today is well-documented, but teachers say parents are often not aware to what extent students use them inside the classroom. And increasingly, educators and experts are speaking with one voice on the question of how to handle it: Ban phones during classes.

“Students used to have an understanding that you aren’t supposed to be on your phone in class. Those days are gone,” said James Granger, who requires students in his science classes at a Los Angeles-area high school to place their phones in “a cellphone cubby” with numbered slots. “The only solution that works is to physically remove the cellphone from the student.”

Most schools already have rules regulating student phone use, but they are enforced sporadically. A growing number of leaders at the state and federal levels have begun endorsing school cellphone bans and suggesting new ways to curb access to the devices.

The latest state intervention came in Utah, where Gov. Spencer Cox, a Republican, last month urged all school districts and the state Board of Education to remove cellphones from classrooms. He cited studies that show learning improves, distractions are decreased and students are more likely to talk to each other if phones are taken away.

“We just need a space for six or seven hours a day where kids are not tethered to these devices,” Cox told reporters this month. He said his initiative, which is not binding, is part of a legislative push to protect kids in Utah from the harms of social media.

Last year, Florida became the first state to crack down on phones in school. A law that took effect in July requires all Florida public schools to ban student cellphone use during class time and block access to social media on district Wi-Fi. Some districts, including Orange County Public Schools, went further and banned phones the entire school day.

Oklahoma, Vermont and Kansas have also recently introduced what is becoming known as “phone-free schools” legislation.

And two U.S. senators — Tom Cotton, an Arkansas Republican, and Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat — introduced legislation in December that would require a federal study on the effects of cellphone use in schools on students’ mental health and academic performance. Theirs is one of several bipartisan alliances calling for stiffer rules for social media companies and greater online safety for kids.

Nationally, 77% of U.S. schools say they prohibit cellphones at school for non-academic use, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

But that number is misleading. It does not mean students are following those bans or all those schools are enforcing them.

Just ask teachers.

“Cellphone use is out of control. By that, I mean that I cannot control it, even in my own classroom,” said Patrick Truman, who teaches at a Maryland high school that forbids student use of cellphones during class. It is up to each teacher to enforce the policy, so Truman bought a 36-slot caddy for storing student phones. Still, every day, students hide phones in their laps or under books as they play video games and check social media.

Tired of being the phone police, he has come to a reluctant conclusion: “Students who are on their phones are at least quiet. They are not a behavior issue.”

A study last year from Common Sense Media found that 97% of kids use their phones during school hours, and that kids say school cellphone policies vary — often from one classroom to another — and aren’t always enforced.

For a school cellphone ban to work, educators and experts say the school administration must be the one to enforce it and not leave that task to teachers. The Phone-Free Schools Movement, an advocacy group formed last year by concerned mothers, says policies that allow students to keep phones in their backpacks, as many schools do, are ineffective.

“If the bookbag is on the floor next to them, it’s buzzing and distracting, and they have the temptation to want to check it,” said Kim Whitman, a co-founder of the group, which advises schools to require phones be turned off and locked away all day.

Some students say such policies take away their autonomy and cut off their main mode of communication with family and friends. Pushback also has come from parents who fear being cut off from their kids if there is a school emergency. Whitman advises schools to make exceptions for students with special educational and medical needs, and to inform parents on expert guidance that phones can be a dangerous distraction for students during an emergency.

Jaden Willoughey, 14, shares the concern about being out of contact with his parents if there’s a crisis. But he also sees the upsides of turning in his phone at school.

At Delta High School in rural Utah, where Jaden is a freshman, students are required to check their phones at the door when entering every class. Each of the school’s 30 or so classrooms has a cellphone storage unit that looks like an over-the-door shoe bag with three dozen smartphone-sized slots.

“It helps you focus on your work, and it’s easier to pay attention in class,” Jaden said.

A classmate, Mackenzie Stanworth, 14, said it would be hard to ignore her phone if it was within reach. It’s a relief, she said, to “take a break from the screen and the social life on your phone and actually talk to people in person.”

It took a few years to tweak the cellphone policy and find a system that worked, said Jared Christensen, the school’s vice principal.

“At first it was a battle. But it has been so worth it,” he said. “Students are more attentive and engaged during class time. Teachers are able to teach without competing with cellphones. And student learning has increased,” he said, citing test scores that are at or above state averages for the first time in years. “I can’t definitively say it’s because of this policy. But I know it’s helping.”

The next battle will be against earbuds and smartwatches, he said. Even with phones stashed in pouches, students get caught listening to music on air pods hidden under their hair or hoodies. “We haven’t included earbuds in our policy yet. But we’re almost there.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 27, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

good. it always chapped my rear end as a kid to get yelled at for having a phone but in retrospect it was definitely for the best. i don't think phones should be banned from schools entirely but they 100% should not be in the classroom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If banning cell phones will accelerate production on Dune 3 I'm all for it

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Kith posted:

the ceasefire talks sure are a nice gesture in tandem with the billions of dollars of missiles and poo poo we've been sending

Also in tandem with multiple vetoes of UN resolutions calling for a ceasefire.

Pretty sure this will follow Biden's usual routine of promising something, delivering something much smaller, and then insisting that it's actually the same thing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

Might as well get a headstart on the Butlerian Jihad

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Meant to put the Rishi Sunak tweet in there, but Dune 3 would always be preferable to the U.K. PM.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

they absolutely should ban phones in classrooms, too distracting

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I know it isn't really the teacher's fault directly, but that article is really depressing with how impotent they seem.

The kids are watching Netflix openly all class, she tells them to put their phone away, they say no, and she just goes back to trying to teach.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The NY Dems' attempt at a new congressional map is out.

The previous map resulted in a 15D - 11R split in 2022 (Currently 15D - 10R after Dems winning Santos' seat and there being one vacancy).

The new map would create (based on 2022 vote results):

- 11 Safe D seats
- 5 Lean D seats
- 3 Safe R seats
- 3 Lean R seats
- 4 Nearly even seats with small Republican leans (less than +3)

Democrats Mondair Jones and Jamal Bowman would be moved to safe seats.

Upstate Republicans Claudia Tenney, Nick Langworthy, and Elise Stefanik would be moved to ultra-safe seats.

NYC and Long Island Republicans would be moved into much more competitive seats, with at least one disappearing entirely.

It's a moderate gerrymander that didn't go as far as they could (likely to try and keep it from getting tossed by a court) that would result in about +4 D seats compared to 2022 if they have an above average year.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::c47f7798-ed44-4d44-a2f4-6f34329fbbe5

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 27, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know it isn't really the teacher's fault directly, but that article is really depressing with how impotent they seem.

The kids are watching Netflix openly all class, she tells them to put their phone away, they say no, and she just goes back to trying to teach.

lmao what the gently caress

my teachers had open authority to confiscate whatever the gently caress they felt like, including and especially phones. hell, i've even had a teacher try to relieve me of my lunch. i got sent to the dean's office multiple times and even sentenced to detention for not surrendering whatever item a teacher decided they were going to try to steal from me. i absolutely cannot imagine teachers lacking the impulse or power to simply take the phones away

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they ban social media from the school wifi they're going to have to combine that with cell-signal-blocking paint in all the classrooms

Kith posted:

my teachers had open authority to confiscate whatever the gently caress they felt like, including and especially phones. hell, i've even had a teacher try to relieve me of my lunch. i was sent to the dean's office multiple times and even sentenced to detention for not surrendering whatever item a teacher decided they were going to steal from me that day, i absolutely cannot imagine teachers lacking the impulse to simply take the phones away

This works when dealing with one or two students at a time, but doing separate confiscate and discipline moments and then followup item returns and writeups for the vast majority of your 2-3 dozen students in a 50-minute class period will seriously impact the actual teaching. Violations are simply too widespread for teachers to handle as an extra responsibility

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kith posted:

my teachers had open authority to confiscate whatever the gently caress they felt like, including and especially phones. hell, i've even had a teacher try to relieve me of my lunch. i got sent to the dean's office multiple times and even sentenced to detention for not surrendering whatever item a teacher decided they were going to try to steal from me. i absolutely cannot imagine teachers lacking the impulse or power to simply take the phones away

That's what the teachers in the article say. They basically gave up because it was up to them to handle enforcement and they had no support from parents or administration.

quote:

In California, a high school teacher complains that students watch Netflix on their phones during class. In Maryland, a chemistry teacher says students use gambling apps to place bets during the school day.

quote:

“Students used to have an understanding that you aren’t supposed to be on your phone in class. Those days are gone,” said James Granger, who requires students in his science classes at a Los Angeles-area high school to place their phones in “a cellphone cubby” with numbered slots.

quote:

Most schools already have rules regulating student phone use, but they are enforced sporadically.

quote:

Nationally, 77% of U.S. schools say they prohibit cellphones at school for non-academic use, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

But that number is misleading. It does not mean students are following those bans or all those schools are enforcing them.

Just ask teachers.

“Cellphone use is out of control. By that, I mean that I cannot control it, even in my own classroom,” said Patrick Truman, who teaches at a Maryland high school that forbids student use of cellphones during class. It is up to each teacher to enforce the policy, so Truman bought a 36-slot caddy for storing student phones. Still, every day, students hide phones in their laps or under books as they play video games and check social media.

Tired of being the phone police, he has come to a reluctant conclusion: “Students who are on their phones are at least quiet. They are not a behavior issue.”

A study last year from Common Sense Media found that 97% of kids use their phones during school hours, and that kids say school cellphone policies vary — often from one classroom to another — and aren’t always enforced.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

The NY Dems' attempt at a new congressional map is out.

The previous map resulted in a 15D - 11R split in 2022 (Currently 15D - 10R after Dems winning Santos' seat and there being one vacancy).

The new map would create (based on 2022 vote results):

- 11 Safe D seats
- 5 Lean D seats
- 3 Safe R seats
- 3 Lean R seats
- 4 Nearly even seats with small Republican leans (less than +3)

Democrats Mondair Jones and Jamal Bowman would be moved to safe seats.

Upstate Republicans Claudia Tenney, Nick Langworthy, and Elise Stefanik would be moved to ultra-safe seats.

NYC and Long Island Republicans would be moved into much more competitive seats, with at least one disappearing entirely.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::c47f7798-ed44-4d44-a2f4-6f34329fbbe5

Not really familiar with NY geography but that seems like a reasonably compact and sensible map - only thing that really gives a weird vibe is the hook from Ithaca all the way to Albany suburbs in the orange segment. It doesn't seem like they are trying to play games to include the NYC population in big districts, which would be the practical way for Dems to tilt the scales.

This has to get through an evenly split committee to be approved though, right? If that doesn't happen, what is the next step? The crap map from 2022 was decided by judicial fiat, as I recall. Does that hold as a status quo if the official procedure fails, or would there be a realistic path to challenging it in court to get this one slotted in somehow?

Edit: ah, I think I'm a step behind on the news - it sounds like the bipartisan committee was actually able to produce a map this time, but it got rejected by the state reps because it wasn't meaningfully different than the one from 2022. I wish it was easier to see the 2022 map, the bipartisan one, and the new proposal side by side - it would at least make it easier to assess whether a judge is likely to throw this one out too.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 27, 2024

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kith posted:

The Michigan primary is today, I wonder if the timing of these announcements has anything to do with that campaign to get Michigan Democrats to vote uncommitted

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

This election cycle is likely to be a rematch from 2020.

We might also be getting a second throwback from the last election cycle: Another recall vote in California.

California requires that you give a reason for any recall campaign. In 2020, it was because of unconstitutional covid restrictions. This time, it is because there is a $73 billion budget shortfall that they blame on Newsom traveling across the country instead of being in Sacramento to negotiate a balanced budget for the state.

https://twitter.com/RecallGavinNow/status/1762212771595464841
This is probably because the California GOP is almost completely moribund. The Dems control all eight statewide offices, both senate seats, the mayoralties of every large and medium city, and the congressional delegation is 40-11. The CA Republican party is so pointless that the state chamber of commerce stopped donating to it a decade ago.

Running a recall election is pretty much the only thing the CA Reps can do to get noticed or have even a sliver of a chance of gaining some power (it worked in 2003, giving us 1.5 terms of Gov. Schwarzeneggar).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

This is probably because the California GOP is almost completely moribund. The Dems control all eight statewide offices, both senate seats, the mayoralties of every large and medium city, and the congressional delegation is 40-11. The CA Republican party is so pointless that the state chamber of commerce stopped donating to it a decade ago.

Running a recall election is pretty much the only thing the CA Reps can do to get noticed or have even a sliver of a chance of gaining some power (it worked in 2003, giving us 1.5 terms of Gov. Schwarzeneggar).

I'ts worth pointing out that before 2003 it had been tried with 7 of the nine previous governors up to that point. Davis is the only one it succeeded with.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My wife has been a middle school language arts teacher for the past 10 years and LOL if you think teachers are allowed to enforce and enact positive behavioral change in their classrooms the way teachers did in the 20th century. Teaching is COMPLETELY different now from when millennials were in primary school. It is DRASTICALLY more regulated, controlled, and restricted, the kids that don't care care even less than ever, are openly belligerent, and the parents are either out to lunch or too hosed over by other concerns to lean in to their kids' educations. It's a bit of a poo poo show.

Edit: Oh, that comment about how "students on their phones are at least quiet and let me teach and let other kids listen, so gently caress it" is actively spoken about and stated as classroom policy more and more. It's just how they have to operate.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 27, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What actually changed that has rendered teachers so powerless? Like how did this happen across the country in seemingly every single school so quickly?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GlyphGryph posted:

What actually changed that has rendered teachers so powerless? Like how did this happen across the country in seemingly every single school so quickly?

According to the articles, some teachers who have posted in this thread, and a couple that I'm friends with who have talked about it, the answer is basically a combo of:

- Kids are addicted to the phones and they are a million times more entertaining that school, so it is different than telling them to put pogs or cards away.

- Phones are ubiquitous in a way that Pokémon cards, pogs, or whatever used to be major classroom distractions never were. There was never a time when 98% of all kids nationwide had Gameboys or pogs on them 24/7.

- When so many kids are doing it at the same time, it becomes impossible to enforce.

- Covid basically set a lot of kids back years in terms of behavior and learning.

- Parents are actively in favor of kids having their phones during class and come down on teachers who remove them because they might need them in an emergency.

- Most of the rules fall on the teachers to enforce without support from elsewhere. Sometimes they are overturned by administration, so why bother?

- Kids on their phones aren't learning, but they are being quiet and not disrupting other kids, so just take that silver lining and give up on it.

People with first-hand experience can correct me or verify how accurate those assessments are, but that is what I have heard. We don't have kids and I haven't been in high school for decades, so I don't have any first-hand experience.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 27, 2024

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

COVID remote schooling (which in many cases meant no school at all since the kids just never showed up) made kids go feral.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Bring back startec non-smart phones.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Biden is just apparently scheduling multiple different interviews to go on and drop previously secret information about the negotiations. Hamas also says they aren't going to agree to a ceasefire unless Israel fully demilitarizes, so who knows what is going on.

Acording to Biden, Saudi Arabia has already privately committed to recognizing Israel along with several other Arab countries.

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1762464843859165369
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1762465829914816531

This looks like a very obvious attempt to publicly pressure Israel. Openly pointing out that international support for the war is quickly dwindling, and reminding Israel that they had Saudi Arabia basically ready to recognize them before negotiations got derailed by Oct 7th and the war that followed. And although he doesn't mention it, the Israeli government should be looking for a ceasefire within the next few months anyway, since they can't exactly maintain a military mobilization of this size for too long without a very good reason.

Not really sure if there's an audience for it, though. The moment the war ends, Netanyahu's getting chucked out on his rear end and he knows it. And even if all the parties that aren't directly loyal to Netanyahu leave the coalition, there's enough ride-or-die right-wing MKs to keep the coalition together. Even though they're not personally loyal to Netanyahu, they're all small parties that have only been able to maintain Knesset influence by gluing themselves to Likud. If Likud takes a fall, they're likely to get dragged down with it, which limits opportunities for betrayal.

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not really that the teachers are powerless, it's that the teachers are sick of wasting class time dealing with all the misbehavior. All the kids have phones, and almost all of them are whipping out their phones during the course of the day, to the point where it actually has a real impact on the class day just interrupting the lesson over and over again to individually catch each one and confiscate their phones when they're caught. And then you return all their phones at the end of the day and they're doing the same thing the next day. What's the teacher supposed to do at this point, start sending half the class off to in-school suspension every day? There really isn't a practical way to handle it on an individual, ad-hoc basis.

Most importantly, they have no real support from the parents on this. If kids bring toys to school, the parents will usually agree that the toys should have been taken away, and will make at least a token effort to try to prevent the kid from bringing toys to school again. On the other hand, the parents are strongly in favor of the kids bringing their phones to school, and aren't really thrilled with the phones being confiscated, because the parents have also gotten used to the convenience of being able to text the kids at any time during the school day. The parent may agree in theory that little Timmy shouldn't be watching Netflix during class, but they're not going to take Timmy's phone away, they're not going to change the Netflix password to lock Timmy out, and they're not going to figure out how to use the parental controls to lock Timmy out of fun apps during school hours. They're putting it all on the teacher to prevent Timmy from watching Netflix, and they're not really enthused about the phone being confiscated by the teacher either.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know if this is a big right wing talking point, but something I've heard from current and former teachers is that there is a constant fear of lawsuits and that bleeds into any matter with respect to disciplining the kids.

EDIT: I might be biased. Someone I know from high school went through this 20 years ago...

https://www.city-journal.org/article/how-i-joined-teach-for-america-and-got-sued-for-20-million

EDIT: I do feel like I'm doing my friend an injustice if I don't post these follow up stories too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...c1f7_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...0e6c_story.html

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 27, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

I feel like phone confiscation in the day and age of several hundred dollar smart phones that often all look alike is a nightmare.

Given that I (and probably you) probably had experiences with teachers confiscating poo poo and forgetting to give it back, misplacing, mixing up, or damaging some kid's brand new iphone is probably not a liability most teachers want on their head, doubly so when it's not a guarantee that you'll get parents that would laugh it off as a learning lesson.

Plus there's probably avenues for kids to be lovely about it too, if multiple students get their phones confiscated, and the teacher isn't good about remember what phone belongs to what kid. I'm sure there's measures you could put in place to make sure poo poo doesn't get mixed up, but is that really something teachers want to spend time doing?

In general, I'm not surprised at all teachers lack the impulse or power to gently caress with kids' expensive rear end smart phones. They aren't paid nearly enough.

I don't really know a particular good solution that doesn't seem like it creates it's own problems - any sort of hand-off of phones comes with theft risks, leaving it in a locker is not safe at all, and there's probably enough parents that want their kid to have a phone that "leave it at home" isn't an option either.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 27, 2024

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
without cell phones how are kids going to call their parents when a school shooting happens?!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really know a particular good solution that doesn't seem like it creates it's own problems - any sort of hand-off of phones comes with theft risks, leaving it in a locker is not safe at all, and there's probably enough parents that want their kid to have a phone that "leave it at home" isn't an option either.

I mentioned it before mostly in jest, but making cellular networks nonfunctional on school grounds and forcing all traffic onto a school-managed WLAN would probably have a big impact. The school can then block all the "fun" services like Netflix and Tiktok while leaving open essential contact services like voice over IP, basic messaging apps, and a small set of useful web sites. And the student can keep the phone in their bag the whole time

Of course this will require investment and an IT staff that exists and knows what it's doing, so it's also a nonstarter

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://bsky.app/profile/akivamcohen.bsky.social/post/3kmg27byuzy2b
https://bsky.app/profile/akivamcohen.bsky.social/post/3kmg2b3aakb2v

https://epicmra.com/team.htm

quote:

Bernie Porn, Founding Principal and President
Bernie Porn is a partner and President of EPIC-MRA. Drawing on over three decades of research and communication experience, Mr. Porn's primary role with the firm involves the writing and analysis of the survey research conducted for EPIC▪MRA 's clients. He is also looked to by members of the media, academia and others for commentary on the wide spectrum of topics researched by the firm.

Mr. Porn is a graduate of Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, majoring in urban affairs and schooled in statistics. He was a staff member in the Michigan House of Representatives for nineteen years, serving as the Director of Communications from 1990 to 1992. He worked extensively on the 1981 and 1991 Michigan legislative and congressional redistricting.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

And it gives me a security warning when I try to view the team page just like I'd expect from a site talking about (Bernie) Porn :v:

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

I mentioned it before mostly in jest, but making cellular networks nonfunctional on school grounds and forcing all traffic onto a school-managed WLAN would probably have a big impact. The school can then block all the "fun" services like Netflix and Tiktok while leaving open essential contact services like voice over IP, basic messaging apps, and a small set of useful web sites. And the student can keep the phone in their bag the whole time

Of course this will require investment and an IT staff that exists and knows what it's doing, so it's also a nonstarter

OTOH, an ambitious teacher could make a jammer on the cheap. Illegal, but effective. And probably pretty funny to watch some little poo poo get frustrated trying to pull up pornhub during class.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

poop device posted:

OTOH, an ambitious teacher could make a jammer on the cheap. Illegal, but effective. And probably pretty funny to watch some little poo poo get frustrated trying to pull up pornhub during class.

I dread seeing how a combination of school administration and parental outrage crushes that teacher under the gears of bureaucracy if that jammer is ever found out.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its short for bernard pornography

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I dread seeing how a combination of school administration and parental outrage crushes that teacher under the gears of bureaucracy if that jammer is ever found out.

More like the gears of federal court. The FCC doesn't fool around with people who jam signals

https://www.fcc.gov/tags/signal-jamming

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

definitely not going to lie that i think about the phrase Bernie Porn, Of Epic MRA, like once every couple months and chuckle

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Why not have a cubby shelf with a USB plug in it and the kid's name across the bottom. When kids come into the classroom, they put their silent-ed phone in their cubby shelf. If they have a charger cord, they can plug it in and leave it charging during class. When they leave, take it out of the shelf. Teacher doesn't handle the phones at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

volts5000 posted:

Why not have a cubby shelf with a USB plug in it and the kid's name across the bottom. When kids come into the classroom, they put their silent-ed phone in their cubby shelf. If they have a charger cord, they can plug it in and leave it charging during class. When they leave, take it out of the shelf. Teacher doesn't handle the phones at all.

Sure, but what do you do when they don't do that? When every single one of them doesn't do that? It's as much an enforcement problem as it is a policy problem

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

haveblue posted:

Sure, but what do you do when they don't do that? When every single one of them doesn't do that? It's as much an enforcement problem as it is a policy problem

Yeah, that's when administration/school system has to get involved. The biggest hurdle.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

How large is the average elementary public school classroom nowadays? I'd be really pissed off about having to track 30+ phones at any given time.

Plus, given funding issues, I'm sure a lot of these teachers would have to pay for any storage shelves themselves. If some kid loses the phone and you can't help them find it, are the parents going to demand that you pay for a new one?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

volts5000 posted:

To use Leon's example:

Put your phone in the cubby

"no"

Teacher goes back to trying to teach.

New rules are pointless without sensible enforcement mechanisms / admin support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
time for teachers to start rolling out electronic warfare. the skills the children learn while bypassing the frequency jamming will be all the education they need