Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To fix a game now you’d need to have a player who’s gotten into deep debt to gamblers who then offer him debt forgiveness to throw games.

Luckily the game keeps gambling at arms length and there’s no way an active player could fall into such a hole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the availability of real-time always available digital betting interfaces mean that you don't have to throw an entire game though, if you're a pitcher you can go out and throw one a foot off the plate to start and a few select people who are clued in can clean up on the prop bet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In modern times the much likelier target for a gambling interest looking to influence a game would be umpires, being paid far less than the players and exerting more influence over outcomes than any one player.

And in fact, this has provably happened in the recent past, in the NBA. (Sweet $DEITY does the NBA have a well oiled PR machine--a referee being nailed for fixing games was barely a speedbump for them) It's almost certainly happened more often than that. (And for whatever reason it happens regularly in like third-tier Italian soccer leagues where the average game attendance is about 300, how much gambling money can possibly be moving there??)

The next likeliest target is young players on rookie contracts. A hundred years ago the players who threw games were players who were dramatically underpaid, knew it, and resented it. Like everyone who worked for Charlie Comiskey, though it was a lot more widespread a problem than that. Same thing now. There have been some football players suspended for, well, you can't prove they actually threw any games, but they placed some bets.

Which brings us to a tangential but more relevant problem in 2024--for your average random pre-arb making the league minimum, there's the potential to make a significant portion of your annual salary over again just by placing microbets on "which pitch will he throw right now?/will the first pitch be a strike?" and poo poo through intermediaries. Which scandal MLB is making certain will inevitably transpire sooner or later, lapping up money from gambling interests as eagerly as they are.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I hope the upcoming gambling scandal involves higher up team executives and their cabals of MBA dipshits.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Fixing happens all the time in smaller leagues. Check this wild article about fixing Canadian Soccer League games with professional Croatian players brought overseas specifically to help fix games while bets are placed in Malaysia.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...845e4684fd.html

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

elentar posted:

the availability of real-time always available digital betting interfaces mean that you don't have to throw an entire game though, if you're a pitcher you can go out and throw one a foot off the plate to start and a few select people who are clued in can clean up on the prop bet

if one specific pitcher is getting thousands of times more money wagered during his starts that anyone else’s people are going to start to wonder why that might be

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the globalized nature of online sports betting makes more obscure lower leagues the biggest targets for match fixing, as even those have enough betting volume to be worth it. Even if there's only 300 people in the stands at a 3rd tier Italian soccer game, there's gambling addicts betting on it around the planet.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
fixing baseball games is pretty difficult unless you have multiple players involved (and even then someone might go Shoeless Joe on you and beat you singlehandedly) but I could see a situation where a disgruntled guy on league minimum passes on information like “hey Kershaw’s back’s a bit sore today so the Dodgers are having a bullpen game”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Fixing the actual outcome of an MLB game is difficult but we live in the age of DraftKings-style microbets and stuff like "will the pitcher throw a first pitch strike", "will the batter strike out on this AB", "how many errors will be committed" etc are things an individual player could pretty innocuously influence.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah even the NBA scandal that involved refs wasn't fixing game winners and losers, but point-shaving so that gamblers could win betting the over or whatever.

Baseball has so many micro-events to bet on now it's ripe with opportunities.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Baseball has so many micro-events to bet on now it's ripe with opportunities.

I was at a game at Wrigley with my buddy who was making micro-bets. He meant to place a bet that Bellinger would get a hit this PA, but accidentally bet that he would get a hit on the next PITCH. Welp, Belli slapped the next pitch for a single and he made enough to pay for beers for both of us the rest of the game. :cheers:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

in very important news, Ohtani will be hitting in a baseball game today

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1762495085013557589

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was at a game at Wrigley with my buddy who was making micro-bets. He meant to place a bet that Bellinger would get a hit this PA, but accidentally bet that he would get a hit on the next PITCH. Welp, Belli slapped the next pitch for a single and he made enough to pay for beers for both of us the rest of the game. :cheers:
Stuff like this is the reason I just do not touch betting apps whatsoever. There's so many little things you would be tempted to do that could get you a nice payout that I know I'd fall down an insane rabbit hole.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just can't understand this impulse. I'm not interested in sports gambling at all really, but the microbet poo poo just screams degen to me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1762541630882746782

This appears to entirely just have been a way to clear 40-man space for Bellinger, the guy the Cubs got back is not good but I guess it's better than just DFA'ing somebody. I'd like to see the Cubs be more creative with trades but oh well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

more falafel please posted:

I just can't understand this impulse. I'm not interested in sports gambling at all really, but the microbet poo poo just screams degen to me.

I'm a fully degenerate sicko but betting single-play outcomes is insane

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Chris Sale has survived one (1) outing in a Braves uniform

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
But did the uniform survive?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Manoah getting into the BSOHL does not seem to have helped

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

getting into the BSOHL does not seem to have helped

Honest question: does it ever?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Even if everything is completely above board and there is never an integrity issue, baseball getting into bed with gambling is really distasteful

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Watching Shohei round the bases. :smithicide:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

they're really going through it in the bay these days

https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1762578928680780076

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
some reporter just asked him if he liked SF and considered signing there, and they basically told him that was a dumb question and he wasn’t going to answer it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FYI for folks with T-Mobile: fairly tight sign-up window this year so set a reminder!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What are the reputable bootleg merch sites? Kinda want some Orioles shirts but I don't want to pay Fanatics prices for Fanatics quality.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

What are the reputable bootleg merch sites? Kinda want some Orioles shirts but I don't want to pay Fanatics prices for Fanatics quality.

DHGate is what I usually use

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1762614686384628199

:toot:

"Introductory" presser tomorrow for him, lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ace Jameson posted:

some reporter just asked him if he liked SF and considered signing there, and they basically told him that was a dumb question and he wasn’t going to answer it

What's Japanese for "that's a clown question bro"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ace Jameson posted:

Owns

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

DHGate is what I usually use
Do you have preferred sellers? There are a ton on DHGate and my understanding is they are definitely not all equivalent.

Ace Jameson posted:

gonna need video on this one for future use

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Weird that the Cubs social media department didn’t decide to use the unreadably small new nameplate on that graphic.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I bought some Angels jerseys awhile back through DHGate. The seller "fastest_shipping" no longer exists and I can't pull up the item anymore. I was pretty happy with the quality of them in general, can't say the same for the product on the field though. I paid $14.69 each and ended up getting four total (Red and White Trout and Ohtani, in Medium and Large) so I'd have options and could pick which size fit the best. They are cool base style.

Here is my dog wearing a size Medium, hope this helps.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Good Dog posted:

I bought some Angels jerseys awhile back through DHGate. The seller "fastest_shipping" no longer exists and I can't pull up the item anymore. I was pretty happy with the quality of them in general, can't say the same for the product on the field though. I paid $14.69 each and ended up getting four total (Red and White Trout and Ohtani, in Medium and Large) so I'd have options and could pick which size fit the best. They are cool base style.

Here is my dog wearing a size Medium, hope this helps.

Best post/username combo I’ve seen :3:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Do you have preferred sellers? There are a ton on DHGate and my understanding is they are definitely not all equivalent.

tradeleadercn is who I use, their quality seems pretty good to me (although I've never actually seen an authentic MLB jersey so I guess I wouldn't really know :shrug:)

e: except apparently they've stopped doing Mets jerseys so I guess I'm looking for a new seller too

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 28, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1762578938587418726

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Someone please sign Joey Votto.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Spring Training REALLY doesn't need to be a month long.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I got the TMobile mlb.tv email. Sign up is between March 26 and April 1, so heads up everyone with TMobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

General Bullshit posted:

Someone please sign Joey Votto.

Let Joey fulfill his dream of driving school buses. Give him a week of doing that and he'll be ready to get back in the game.