Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Toaster Beef posted:

you can't fool me, this is a math textbook cover from 1993

My reaction when dlc release date was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I only have a problem with Fringefolk Hero's Grave requiring you to carefully aim and time a bow shot (or another projectile) and that one where you get sandwiched between two oncoming chariots and if your spacing is slightly off you're probably dead.

Bit late to this but just shoot the pot string when you hear the chariot hit the wall below you. Works every time.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

How are people cheesing the Caelid bell bearing hunter from the shack rooftop? When I try it he just runs up right below me where I can't hit him. Doesn't help how zooming in on things below you in Elden Ring makes it look like you have a totally clear shot but then you somehow hit the ledge you're standing on instead

e: managed to whittle him down a bit eventually using target lock shooting instead of trying to zoom in. still had to constantly wait for him to reset every time he ran up to the shack. got him to about 40% then ran out of patience, buffed up, and finished him off the old fashioned way

It always takes me a long time cuz yeah he doesn't behave how I'd like him to. I generally run around a lot and try to lure him by going to the lower roof. It's probably not worth it if you are decent at the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive played over 200 hours of ER and I dont think Ive ever completed all of the chariot dungeons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gonna play Str/Fai crucible knight RP + dragon incants for my DLC playthrough I decided. I just haven't decided if I should start it as a faith class or as the bandit so I start with the buckler for easier loving up of the crucible knights. Realistically, confessor probably is the best choice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Question for storylines: do I need to finish the Volcano Manor chain, kills and all, to finish Hoslow boy's quest line?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I mean, if you think about it, Messmer is likely to have both high holy and high fire resist, because of both the flame aspect we see and him being a demigod, so physical incantations are probably going to be the way to go, so you positioned yourself well in that regard. Meanwhile, me with my Sacred and Flame Art infused weapons are staring down the barrel hoping I'm wrong.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you dont have at least one way of dealing a good amount of every type of damage then you havent finished your build yet

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama

WaltherFeng posted:

Elden Ring and Sekiro added attacks that could be jumped over and this includes stuff like shockwaves and low sweeping attacks. This works because jumping cuts your hit box almost in half from waist down.

If you get used to jumping in combat you can avoid a lot of stuff

I know im a few days late for this, but jumping to the side is also a great dodging option, it doesnt have i frames but it takes you further, it's faster than jogging but slower than springting, in addition to what you mentioned. And most of the enemy attack hitboxes are designed with dodging in mind for perfect timing, but jumping can sometimes allow you to fudge the timing in the first place. At least, i have found that in my RL1 run

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Ariong posted:

I hate Maliketh. He’s just too fast for me. I can’t react to his attacks in time to dodge them, and for me memorizing attack patterns so I know what dodges to do in advance is the opposite of fun.

don't need to memorise attack patterns when you just nuke his whole second phase with 3 Gransax lightning spears at SL125 (60 dex) like I did yesterday. I was surprised lol, this was my first go at Crumbling Farum and I oneshotted both Maliketh and the Godskin duo but got wrecked over and over by packs of skeletons

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Question for storylines: do I need to finish the Volcano Manor chain, kills and all, to finish Hoslow boy's quest line?

according to the wiki, no, his quest progresses when you either accept the second assassination contract or kill Rykard

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WaltherFeng posted:

Ive played over 200 hours of ER and I dont think Ive ever completed all of the chariot dungeons.

There’s only three. Fringefolk, Auriza, Gelmir. The others are invincible shadow enemy dungeons instead.

Fringefolk: basically just there to troll new players who thought they were smart for starting with the key stone. Skip every time UNLESS you are an Arcane guy/want to cast dragon incants, in which case go in just far enough to get the dragon communion seal and come back later when you’ve outleveled everything.

Auriza: chariot puzzle can be skipped with shackle. Good thing too, since the boss is among the hardest in the game relative to where it is. Boss reward is Ordovis sword which is really good for STR/FTH

Gelmir: sucks out loud. Unfortunately you have to do it to get all Gurranq’s rewards. Becomes somewhat less annoying in NG+ where lava doesn’t slow you.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

Becomes somewhat less annoying in NG+ where lava doesn’t slow you.

Is that the threshold? I wonder what the reasoning for that is.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

isn't gelmir the one where you drop on and ride the chariot to avoid the lava? don't recall ever having to trudge through it

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Gelmir was fine, yeah, and the solution felt clever after the other two trained you to try to destroy the chariots.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

isn't gelmir the one where you drop on and ride the chariot to avoid the lava? don't recall ever having to trudge through it

I was reading the thread and seeing these references and wondering what I missed because I don't remember it - and then I saw this post and thought "oh yeah, I did that one!". There are other dungeons out there with those jerks? I never even considered trying to fight them - I dodged the ones in the Gelmir Hero location and discovered how to ride the chariot on trial and error and thought it was a cool little one-off puzzle.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ariong posted:

I hate Maliketh. He’s just too fast for me. I can’t react to his attacks in time to dodge them, and for me memorizing attack patterns so I know what dodges to do in advance is the opposite of fun.
I loving hated Maliketh too. He was just at the end of the game where I was starting to get tired of slamming into brick walls to memorize my way around, and then his second form is just some crazy bullshit gatekept by his first form which has a lot of HP and other annoyances. So not only do you need to memorize the exact hitbox safe spots in his insane multislash attacks to be able to get close enough to do damage safely, you also have this huge runup and effort in between each attempt, and then a split second mistake and two hits just kills you. So lets say I wanna learn his spinning multislash move without a wiki, because that seems to be the only move where I can safely get in for a punish easily, well I need 20 attempts to study the intricacies of its hitbox by dying to it in different positions, and each attempt costs me 5-10mins. Even Fire Giant was less frustrating because his moves at least were easy to remember and the hitboxes were at least where you expected them to be.

I ended up cheesing Maliketh with dragon rot. He was a lot easier to deal with when all you had to focus on was backing away safely. Just burst his first form down, try not to trigger rot on it because that raises his resistance to it, start second form by having you and your mimic blast rot all over the arena, and back away slowly maybe taking a cheap shot occasionally if it seems super safe.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

If you want the finglonger you do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can also backstep across the lava if you point your camera toward the direction you want to go and your tarnished facing the camera.

I think this works for poison swamps as well.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I can't beat Maliketh without the blasphemous claw, and even then the only move I know I can land the parry with is the one where he jumps around 4 times shooting sword beams at me.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

War Wizard posted:

I can't beat Maliketh without the blasphemous claw, and even then the only move I know I can land the parry with is the one where he jumps around 4 times shooting sword beams at me.

if I learned anything from my low level/upgrades game it's that you can solve just about anything with rotten breath, black knife tiche and blade of death.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still feel like it's telling that even ITT the common line on Maliketh is "lol he only has half a health bar just run in and hit with a big sword/stick until his poise breaks, fight's over".

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maliketh isnt too hard on ng but on late ng+ cycles he becomes a real menace

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

maliketh feels similar to the ulcerated tree spirits to me. He has a lot of distraction movement. Watch some videos of people no-hitting him and he'll suddenly feel less fast.

I've found that the really big trick for him is the beginning of phase 2: step back to avoid the big sweep and then just charge in and dump as much damage on him as you can. If he survives that, just be patient and chip him down one hit at a time without being greedy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can also backstep across the lava if you point your camera toward the direction you want to go and your tarnished facing the camera.

I think this works for poison swamps as well.

Quickstepping is less fiddly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was frustrated at first with Maliketh's second phase and it's a good example of how Elden Ring's combat is different from Dark Souls and you have to work to make your own openings. Even that late using jumps to avoid damage into heavy attacks and being more aggressive in general hadn't become second nature but once I got what I should be doing he went down pretty quick. His stuff being so flashy definitely threw me off for awhile and having one of the few substantial runbacks for a required boss doesn't help (only other one that comes to mind is my most hated required boss the Godskin duo).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Godskin Duo rules

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

skasion posted:

There’s only three. Fringefolk, Auriza, Gelmir. The others are invincible shadow enemy dungeons instead.

Fringefolk: basically just there to troll new players who thought they were smart for starting with the key stone. Skip every time UNLESS you are an Arcane guy/want to cast dragon incants, in which case go in just far enough to get the dragon communion seal and come back later when you’ve outleveled everything.

Auriza: chariot puzzle can be skipped with shackle. Good thing too, since the boss is among the hardest in the game relative to where it is. Boss reward is Ordovis sword which is really good for STR/FTH

Gelmir: sucks out loud. Unfortunately you have to do it to get all Gurranq’s rewards. Becomes somewhat less annoying in NG+ where lava doesn’t slow you.

I still do the Fringefolk one earlier than intended since I like the Talisman you can score.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Godskin Duo has zero runback if you like to explore :smaug:

Granted I didn't even realize I had found something semi-hidden and the 2nd time I got to him I was wondering what gives, this runback is way worse than I remember.

Maliketh's runback is nothing. 10 seconds? You can even just ignore the bouncer if you aren't interested in a truly hideous armor set

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you're worried about fire/holy resist on a str/fai build, don't be. You have access to the best weapon in the game: great stars. Two in fact!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cassian of Imola posted:

Gelmir was fine, yeah, and the solution felt clever after the other two trained you to try to destroy the chariots.

You can destroy the chariots..?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gelmir is find once you discover the skip. In the first big chariot hallway, you only need to get as far as the point where the ground becomes narrow and there’s two narrow pits on either side. At that point, jump forward into the corner of the left pit. (I think this will also work on the right one but I haven’t tested it.) You will land directly on one of the wooden beams that you jump down from to ride the chariot to the boss door.

verbal enema posted:

Godskin Duo rules

Agreed. Only problem with it is that the Noble’s rolling attack is pretty janky, particularly in its somewhat inconsistent interactions with the pillar stumps.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The clothes tailoring system in this game -- There's a whole NPC and quest around it (sort of), but also you can do it yourself with a basically free kit from a merchant. I'm not sure if there's a difference - does Boc's tailoring give you a bonus or a buff until your next death or anything?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Supreme Allah posted:

The clothes tailoring system in this game -- There's a whole NPC and quest around it (sort of), but also you can do it yourself with a basically free kit from a merchant. I'm not sure if there's a difference - does Boc's tailoring give you a bonus or a buff until your next death or anything?

Boc is free, that's basically it.

And Boc is only camped at one Grace, so the ~1000 souls you save is countered by having to warp to him every time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Supreme Allah posted:

If you do it yourself then Boc will be sad.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Boc will be sad regardless

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Not if you say the right thing at the right time to him.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Node posted:

Not if you say the right thing at the right time to him.

Amazing to me that anyone found this, ever

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

according to the wiki, no, his quest progresses when you either accept the second assassination contract or kill Rykard

Got it, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I bet we get some nunchaku in the dlc