Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when i have memory problems i just upgrade my ram you just put it in that little slot in the motherboard it's easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Reflections85 posted:

I'd be interested in the book if you still remember the title.

Presumed Intimacy, by Chris Rojek.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Runa posted:

getting the feeling people are putting more thought into somerton's excuse than he bothered to

I uh. I don't think that's true. The guy spent months coming up with this. I think this really was his best shot.

Which, when you think about it, explains why so much of his material is plagiarized if this is the best he can do writing his own stuff.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Starting to think this 'Somerton' person might a liar and, may Allah forgive me for uttering this word, a chud.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MJeff posted:

I uh. I don't think that's true. The guy spent months coming up with this. I think this really was his best shot.

Which, when you think about it, explains why so much of his material is plagiarized if this is the best he can do writing his own stuff.

Yeah, remember that the one bit of original material Hbomb highlighted in his video was James going on a weird misogynist digression. I would legit believe this is his best effort to change the narrative.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have memory problems and i use things like notes and alarms to make sure i dont forget anything important when writing a paper with sources i would simply use citations or different colored text to remember where things came from

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was the straight womens fault

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MJeff posted:

lmao (pensive)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That Somerton guy is like a Tommy Tallarico style pathological liar, it's not clear to me why anyone would take him at his word again

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

That Somerton guy is like a Tommy Tallarico style pathological liar, it's not clear to me why anyone would take him at his word again

tommy is good, actually

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

He’s going to have to back to running the Wendy’s Twitter account. Thanks chuds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: words losing meaning, one of the more sad things over the last five years or so was seeing the term "trauma" go from an actual term, into a) a personality/identity designator, and b) a buzzword for video game marketing/reviews

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Todo contenido es parasocial en el sentido de que lo usamos "para social"izar

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Miscast just posted a new video and the production values are way higher than all his previous stuff. It has funky lighting effects, wacky camera shots, animated characters, a dog in a hat which speaks backwards, etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOpcmYc9jM

It's also the first video he's posted since last November, he's been through some rough times and I guess he's also been spending a lot of time experimenting with film tricks

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Archer666 posted:

People love to overuse and dilute words until they're entirely meaningsless, most of the time because they don't actually understand the word and think it just means "thing/person I don't like". Parasocial, chud, grifter, Goon.

You parasocial chud!

Dunning-Kruger much, hmmmm?

MJeff posted:

Are we sure he's not lying about being a marketing expert too, I thought marketing people were supposed to be good at convincing you of poo poo.
He's absolutely lying about being an expert. Maybe he has an education and some experience in marketing, but you nailed his expertise.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 27, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Runa posted:

getting the feeling people are putting more thought into somerton's excuse than he bothered to

Hey its not his fault he can't put more thought into it he has brain damage that gives him memory issues!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tommy is good, actually

Would you like to invest in his new video game platform

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tommy is good, actually
he's not

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah this is pretty much the point I was trying to make, if reaction videos fell under the 'parasocial' label then so would a whole lot of widespread radio & TV formats going back many many decades

Is that necessarily incorrect tho? “Parasocial relationship” as a psychological term was initially coined in the mid 1950s specifically about television, radio, and other forms of mass media.

It has also been applied in the decades since then to things like attachments to political figures and to people who believe that they have a direct personal relationship with saints, God(s), and spirits of the dead.

Your point only makes sense if parasocial relationships as a concept were invented in the 2010s, and only applied to internet poo poo, but that isn’t the case. And even if it were it could still be applied retroactively to “a whole lot of widespread radio & TV formats going back many many decades” and there are in fact tons of published papers doing literally that.

And for guys like Asmongold and XQC who don’t meaningfully transform or expand the content that they react to in any meaningful way, don’t add context, don’t bring commentators or creators or experts on to discuss the content that they watch, often aren’t even in the room, stream themselves sleeping, etc; and whose respective fanbases watch them for hours and hours on end as though they were hanging out together and living in the same space, like what other value/purpose are they adding except to tick the “relationship” box?

You think I’m trying to make some big differentiation between pre-internet content like TV and talk radio and streaming, and I’m not.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 27, 2024

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Jessie Gender's response to the Somerton apology says enough.
She does not need it. Even if it is sincere, there is nothing to trust about him, and he failed to apologize to almost everyone else regardless.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

KingKalamari posted:

I'm still baffled by how the reaction video genre took off. Who are the millions of people who keep watching these? Are they aware that other types of media exist?

they do it to look at attractive women opening their mouths im pretty sure

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Fil5000 posted:

I also really don't see how memory issues result in you copy/pasting MULTIPLE other people's work into your script document, breaking them up so you have the bits you want near each other. It's not a jumping off point if you're doing decoupage with other people's work. Plus his rewriting just consisted of doing a find/replace for LGBT with queer or the other way around, whatever the gently caress he did, so even if he remembered to do it it would still be clearly identifiable.

If he just said "I wanted to be famous and I did it off other people's backs and that was wrong, I'm sorry" then he might have got some traction. Instead we had a written statement where he claimed to be under attack, a video that got deleted immediately where he threw his cowriter to the wolves, didn't apologise and reopened his patreon, and now this where he's monetised the apology and saying he did plagiarism because of brain damage.

Even with his insistence that he just wants to produce films (his mother's dying wish, etc.), everything he says and does smacks of "I want to do something but I don't want to devote the time and energy into doing it well". Like a number of people have said, you can make a film on the shoe-est of shoestring budgets if you really want to, but instead he jumped right to expensive camera equipment (without learning how to actually make things that look good using even mediocre hardware) and trying to hire paid actors, assuming anything he said in that regard is to be believed anyway. Dude is just lazy as gently caress but still wants to be rewarded for it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

He wants the fame, status, recognition and adulation he feels he deserves.

If all he cared about was the creation itself, and the message within, he wouldn't be so eager to have his face and name front and center.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I enjoy ManlyBadassHero's content.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
React content is also a near perfect cross combination of the kinds of content that are infinitely rewarded by algorithm driven social media content. You have:

* Parasocial viewership reinforcement (whether it's a bad or good thing or being abused doesn't really matter)
* Cheap, Easy, and Fast to churn out.
* Usually Drama or Rage bait
* Has an infinite supply of topics and sources to pull from.
* Easy to just tune out to as you do other stuff.
* a way to launder plagiarism and steal people's more popular content.
* Has a built in reason to watch (Oh, remember that thing that happened? Or that big video everyone's watching? Don't you wanna know what other people think about it? )

Sure the content being reacted to can vary, and the level of effort put in can also vary wildly, but let's be honest here: If you searched for "react" content on youtube you're going to get drama and rage bait low effort channels either just watching the content being reacted to. You'll get XQC sitting there like a gremlin watching a more popular creator's video, poo poo thrown together like "Irish people react to American Drinking songs sung on Cinco De Mayo while shotgunning Mayonnaise" or some dumb buzzfeed tier "watch british kids eat american cereal".

Because of this, the platforms love to promote it. It's so easy to churn out there is always more for the watch next feed, the uploads are consistent, simple, and the watch times are super easy to adjust to whatever length is currently favored by the platform. So it's not that people "like" react content, it's just that's it's plentiful, easy to promote, and easy to digest. It's junk food entertainment. It's not good for you, but....eh I just kinda want something right now and it doesn't matter what.

Not to say that there can't be good react content, like has been said, with real experts pointing out important details and background information, but even though more effort is being put into that, it's still the same formula, and still very easy to churn out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

xeria posted:

but instead he jumped right to expensive camera equipment (without learning how to actually make things that look good using even mediocre hardware

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DeafNote posted:

Jessie Gender's response to the Somerton apology says enough.
She does not need it. Even if it is sincere, there is nothing to trust about him, and he failed to apologize to almost everyone else regardless.

lol he said he called the cops on her because she was sending him death threats, what a colossal piece of poo poo

and then he’s like “I’m sorry, I have adhd and brain damage”

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

trilobite terror posted:

lol he said he called the cops on her because she was sending him death threats, what a colossal piece of poo poo

and then he’s like “I’m sorry, I have adhd and brain damage”

Technically he said "he called the cops on a fan of her who was sending him death threats".
The lovely thing was him not talking to her about it first and then not at all afterwards. (Jessie didnt even know he was referring to her fanbase)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

it’s happening, the heel turn

in three months he’ll be getting money directly from Elon

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Spaced God posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UM8-UnjYCw

It's sports but it's also a tiny old man screaming his head off, a very confusing turn of phrase, and revenge

This is hilarious because, at least on the topic of getting revenge on another player on the field, I kept thinking of this in terms of Hockey where that is basically a rule agreed to by the players even if it's not in the rule book.

If people don't know or don't watch hockey at all: In hockey, if a player on the other team is getting too rough (as in too rough even for hockey), going for really cheap hits, or worst of all going after your goalie, their gonna get their poo poo rocked. Depending on how bad they've been going all game, they could get rocked or pulled into a fight multiple times just to make sure they learn their lesson. Especially if they hosed with the goalie. The NHL has been trying and trying and begging the players to reduce the amount of violence, fighting, and the kind of physicality that is ever present in Hockey for DECADES. But every time they try the whole of the player base just says "No" and goes back to beating the poo poo out of each other as needed. It is absolutely as much a part of the game as any other strategy.

Sure it's Hockey, it's a vastly different sport than Baseball, especially when you look at how MLB wants their public perception to be. But honestly I think they should have been allowed. Dude loving broken their player's leg and he never fully recovered from that. He should have been pulled aside for a beat down during the game that happened, but better late than never.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

Is that necessarily incorrect tho? “Parasocial relationship” as a psychological term was initially coined in the mid 1950s specifically about television, radio, and other forms of mass media.

It has also been applied in the decades since then to things like attachments to political figures and to people who believe that they have a direct personal relationship with saints, God(s), and spirits of the dead.

Your point only makes sense if parasocial relationships as a concept were invented in the 2010s, and only applied to internet poo poo, but that isn’t the case. And even if it were it could still be applied retroactively to “a whole lot of widespread radio & TV formats going back many many decades” and there are in fact tons of published papers doing literally that.

And for guys like Asmongold and XQC who don’t meaningfully transform or expand the content that they react to in any meaningful way, don’t add context, don’t bring commentators or creators or experts on to discuss the content that they watch, often aren’t even in the room, stream themselves sleeping, etc; and whose respective fanbases watch them for hours and hours on end as though they were hanging out together and living in the same space, like what other value/purpose are they adding except to tick the “relationship” box?

You think I’m trying to make some big differentiation between pre-internet content like TV and talk radio and streaming, and I’m not.

look you can use the word "masticate" pretty much universally instead of "chew" if you want to but pretty much anyone is going to grok the air you are trying to evoke when you do. similarly, parasocial is not some dry academic term that regular people ever start by using in a neutral or positive way, despite the arguments we have it has not at all been reclaimed from the sorts of negative imagery that propelled it into the popular imagination. probably none of us used it before the internet made it popular and as such framing any viewer/reader/listener relationship with that word is very much trying to bring up the very negative context and associations related to it. so yeah podcasts, talk radio, reaction videos and a whole host of other ubiquitous pastimes are fundamentally sick or whatever. yeah i hear ya buddy

anyways gotta go masticate some breakfast, pce

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird. posted:

look you can use the word "masticate" pretty much universally instead of "chew" if you want to but pretty much anyone is going to grok the air you are trying to evoke when you do. similarly, parasocial is not some dry academic term that regular people ever start by using in a neutral or positive way, despite the arguments we have it has not at all been reclaimed from the sorts of negative imagery that propelled it into the popular imagination. probably none of us used it before the internet made it popular and as such framing any viewer/reader/listener relationship with that word is very much trying to bring up the very negative context and associations related to it. so yeah podcasts, talk radio, reaction videos and a whole host of other ubiquitous pastimes are fundamentally sick or whatever. yeah i hear ya buddy

anyways gotta go masticate some breakfast, pce

lol, Jesus

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i cant believe a term used in academia crossed over into mainstream usage due to thinkpieces, and lost most of its meaning. has this ever happened

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it’s not a new concept in pop culture either

https://youtu.be/FCagg5Ax7EU?si=DCq3mslMnHOTHwB5

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Crain posted:

This is hilarious because, at least on the topic of getting revenge on another player on the field, I kept thinking of this in terms of Hockey where that is basically a rule agreed to by the players even if it's not in the rule book.

If people don't know or don't watch hockey at all: In hockey, if a player on the other team is getting too rough (as in too rough even for hockey), going for really cheap hits, or worst of all going after your goalie, their gonna get their poo poo rocked. Depending on how bad they've been going all game, they could get rocked or pulled into a fight multiple times just to make sure they learn their lesson. Especially if they hosed with the goalie. The NHL has been trying and trying and begging the players to reduce the amount of violence, fighting, and the kind of physicality that is ever present in Hockey for DECADES. But every time they try the whole of the player base just says "No" and goes back to beating the poo poo out of each other as needed. It is absolutely as much a part of the game as any other strategy.

Sure it's Hockey, it's a vastly different sport than Baseball, especially when you look at how MLB wants their public perception to be. But honestly I think they should have been allowed. Dude loving broken their player's leg and he never fully recovered from that. He should have been pulled aside for a beat down during the game that happened, but better late than never.

Everybody knew what Syndergaard was going to try and do - Utley included - and he had one shot to do it. He missed and that was that because the umps weren't going to just let him keep trying until he'd calibrated his aim into Utley's ribs. A similar thing happened last year between the Cubs and Cardinals: Ian Happ swung and missed wildly on a pitch and absolutely clocked Willson Contreras with his backswing, requiring him to get pulled from the game. It was an obvious accident with Happ and Contreras even hugging it out after as former teammates, but still Happ was in the box vs known enforcer Miles Mikolas everybody knew what was coming. Next pitch was way up and in narrowly hitting Happ in the jaw. Everybody regroups, okay message received. Next pitch hits Happ in the rear end, and even though he calmly takes his base with no issue the umps got together and decided to toss Mikolas for pretty much the same reason as Syndergaard got tossed: you get one shot to send a message and if you want to hit a guy that badly don't miss.

idk the Utley slide loving sucked and he deserved a way harsher punishment but the whole machismo around intentionally hitting batters is really dumb. Particularly when it's not even about protecting teammates and instead pitchers being huge pissbabies about batflips or hitters watching their HR go for a fraction of a second longer than the pitcher would like.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

James Somerton and Elon Musk in an endless cycle of stealing each other’s content

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

trilobite terror posted:

it’s not a new concept in pop culture either

https://youtu.be/FCagg5Ax7EU?si=DCq3mslMnHOTHwB5

I don’t think anyone said otherwise? I’m struggling to understand your point. Like, do you think lazy reactors uniquely benefit from parasocial relationships?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Tex Murphy in: Copyright Infringement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i cant believe a term used in academia crossed over into mainstream usage due to thinkpieces, and lost most of its meaning. has this ever happened

artificial intelligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheMightyBoops posted:

Tex Murphy in: Copyright Infringement

Needlessly mean to Chris Jones.