Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

King is old and cringy, just like the subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I am literally learning out of the airport King uses in their videos and I couldn't even manage it.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

Are people still having sex dreams about Martha
That's part of why I recommend the Kings course.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Found her account lol

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I like Sportys although it seems like many flight schools are more familiar with Kings and can track your progress more easily?

Sportys has new stuff like interactive (basic Flash-style) scenario things, and each of their lessons has accompanying notes, quizzes, and transcripts. They also have mock tests, and all of the extra downloadable stuff right on their site, like VFR Flight Plan sheets, FAA books (also available on the FAA website for free), and maybe POHs?

Their knowledge test app is extra, but it's like 5 bucks, and the apps on IOS, Android, PC, and Roku have all worked perfectly for me, plus they never bitch about how often I'm logging in or from how many different devices. I rarely have to re-login. Pretty easy to navigate too, and the lessons are clear and well filmed, and I've never had issues loading or streaming.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I know with Sporty’s they’ll also sign you off to take the written test. I’m not sure if the other do that.

Sporty’s private pilot course is also given free to Young Eagles participants, so if you have a kid of the right age you can get access that way.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
thanks for the discussion re ground schools

i decided to save my money for now and get copies of the PHAK and the Airplane Flying Handbook--i know the pdfs are free but it's the kind of thing that's nice to have in hard copy format

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

the milk machine posted:

thanks for the discussion re ground schools

i decided to save my money for now and get copies of the PHAK and the Airplane Flying Handbook--i know the pdfs are free but it's the kind of thing that's nice to have in hard copy format

You can also buy a pre-tabbed-up FAR/AIM apparently. I just got mine as a bundle from sportys and then got a tab kit from Amazon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do unmute

https://i.imgur.com/4GprogG.mp4

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
That's some impressive precision flying. I wonder if the pilot built it in different vertical layers, to avoid loving up already-drawn lines while doing others.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

I like Sportys although it seems like many flight schools are more familiar with Kings and can track your progress more easily?

Sportys has new stuff like interactive (basic Flash-style) scenario things, and each of their lessons has accompanying notes, quizzes, and transcripts. They also have mock tests, and all of the extra downloadable stuff right on their site, like VFR Flight Plan sheets, FAA books (also available on the FAA website for free), and maybe POHs?

Their knowledge test app is extra, but it's like 5 bucks, and the apps on IOS, Android, PC, and Roku have all worked perfectly for me, plus they never bitch about how often I'm logging in or from how many different devices. I rarely have to re-login. Pretty easy to navigate too, and the lessons are clear and well filmed, and I've never had issues loading or streaming.

How would you say Sporty's interactive lessons compare to Gold Seal? I enjoyed the interactive aspect of the GS demo lesson: https://groundschool.com/assets/sample-lessons/private-sample/story

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Hey Atlas guys, I'm looking really hard at coming to 5Y. I'm currently flying a Global doing a decent amount of international flying and really enjoying it but my QOL isn't very good and unlikely to change.

Questions: How much does your base affect you? I live in MI so ORD or CVG are close by but both are a 4+ hour drive so sitting reserve at home is out of the question. Does it just mean a shorter DH to base?

How often are you getting paid just the min guarantee? My last job at the regional getting 80-90hrs of credit wasn't too difficult with careful bidding. Looks like 1st year pay is around 100k and 2nd year around 130k from what I saw on APC. Does that sound reasonable? We're good at budgeting around min guarantee but anything above that it always nice.

Extra flying on days off, is that really even much of an option for someone not living in base?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BobHoward posted:

That's some impressive precision flying. I wonder if the pilot built it in different vertical layers, to avoid loving up already-drawn lines while doing others.

Skytyping is actually relatively tame. The aircraft fly a very stable formation and the computers do the rest.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Wombot posted:

How would you say Sporty's interactive lessons compare to Gold Seal? I enjoyed the interactive aspect of the GS demo lesson: https://groundschool.com/assets/sample-lessons/private-sample/story

Both better and worse?

HOPE THAT HELPED!

The Sportys interactives are more like basic supplements to existing video lessons. So, like after the airport signs and markings video, it would show you a blank sign next to a taxiway and have you drag the correct one over from a list of six. Or drag the proper hold short lines to an intersection. It's a tiny bit more interactive than the GS one, but less integrated into the actual lesson and more like a quiz.

I really liked that forward slip video, actually. I don't know if Sportys ever mentioned why you bank left/yaw right, and I like that you can click on the ACS sections to read.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Hey Atlas guys, I'm looking really hard at coming to 5Y. I'm currently flying a Global doing a decent amount of international flying and really enjoying it but my QOL isn't very good and unlikely to change.

Questions: How much does your base affect you? I live in MI so ORD or CVG are close by but both are a 4+ hour drive so sitting reserve at home is out of the question. Does it just mean a shorter DH to base?

How often are you getting paid just the min guarantee? My last job at the regional getting 80-90hrs of credit wasn't too difficult with careful bidding. Looks like 1st year pay is around 100k and 2nd year around 130k from what I saw on APC. Does that sound reasonable? We're good at budgeting around min guarantee but anything above that it always nice.

Extra flying on days off, is that really even much of an option for someone not living in base?

I’m sure you are aware of Atlas’ gateway system. They will either buy you an airplane ticket to get to work, or if you are 4 miles away, you will get the mileage credit. A lot of folks drive up to their base for reserve duty rather than fly, because they wanna have their car. The company will pay for the hotel.

As for picking up open time. Yes it will be much easier if you live not too far from your base, as a lot of them are last minute trips and they need someone that can be there ASAP. Open time is based on seniority, of course. As a new hire you may struggle getting them whenever you want. But you’ll get seniority quickly enough that you’ll eventually be making a lot more money if you wanna work extra. I know FO’s who break $300k.

Just PM me and I’ll make sure you get the interview.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Skytyping is actually relatively tame. The aircraft fly a very stable formation and the computers do the rest.

Did you watch the video? That isn't skytyping. Classic all-manual skywriting.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

Both better and worse?

HOPE THAT HELPED!

The Sportys interactives are more like basic supplements to existing video lessons. So, like after the airport signs and markings video, it would show you a blank sign next to a taxiway and have you drag the correct one over from a list of six. Or drag the proper hold short lines to an intersection. It's a tiny bit more interactive than the GS one, but less integrated into the actual lesson and more like a quiz.

I really liked that forward slip video, actually. I don't know if Sportys ever mentioned why you bank left/yaw right, and I like that you can click on the ACS sections to read.

That does help yeah!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
https://new.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/1aphiic/dashcam_footage_of_the_bombardier_challenger/

This is nuts. He nearly made it it feels like. Amazingly all the passengers lived but the crew did not. I'll be curious to hear the full investigation that led to the dual engine failure but the airmanship here seems impressive given the situation.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 13, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kwolok posted:

https://new.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/1aphiic/dashcam_footage_of_the_bombardier_challenger/

This is nuts. He nearly made it it feels like. Amazingly all the passengers died but the crew did not. I'll be curious to hear the full investigation that led to the dual engine failure but the airmanship here seems impressive given the situation.

It's the exact opposite of that, both crew died and all passengers got out. It looks like after the right wing struck the sound barrier wall, the aircraft's nose rotated towards and struck the wall, which probably made this accident nonsurvivable for anyone up front. The rear section of the fuselage remained mostly intact and the passengers were able to get out before it burned.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
The original Facebook version of the video shows a bit more detail. Flaps deployed, Full left rudder right at landing, but it hits the wall. And there’s a fairly hefty road sign it plows through.

It was 3 miles from engine loss to the landing and I’m surprised they didn’t get lined up with the road better, maybe they dropped faster than expected.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

BobHoward posted:

It's the exact opposite of that, both crew died and all passengers got out. It looks like after the right wing struck the sound barrier wall, the aircraft's nose rotated towards and struck the wall, which probably made this accident nonsurvivable for anyone up front. The rear section of the fuselage remained mostly intact and the passengers were able to get out before it burned.

Yeah sorry, late posting made my brain reverse it. The passengers were able to escape because the FA managed to open a luggage hatch at the rear, apparently that quick thinking got everyone out fast.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

QoL is massively fleet dependent here, pick the 737 if you like time off and decent money, 767 if you like money and a decent amount of time off, 747 and 777 are only if you hate yourself/your family.

Bases are fairly irrelevant because we have gateway travel, pick one that’s easiest for you to get to or you like the flying that particular base has. There are a couple of exceptions that won’t matter until you have the seniority to hold them.

737 will pretty much always be min guarantee for now
767 can make some decent money, 70-80 hours is pretty typical
747 lines all kinda suck rear end but there’s money to be made there but you’re going to work for it and be massively fatigued
777 is hell and not worth it at all, avoid if at all possible

open time is seniority based and pretty decent as far as industry standards go, if you play the game well you can usually pull off 2-3 100-120+ hour months a year without giving the company any extra work days

open time availability is very fleet dependent

overall it’s not a bad place to work, but after 5 years here I’ve got my resume out at the majors for reasons I won’t go into in a public forum

I’ve been on all the fleets but the 777 at this point and am happy to answer any other questions you may have.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Animal posted:

I’m sure you are aware of Atlas’ gateway system. They will either buy you an airplane ticket to get to work, or if you are 4 miles away, you will get the mileage credit. A lot of folks drive up to their base for reserve duty rather than fly, because they wanna have their car. The company will pay for the hotel.

As for picking up open time. Yes it will be much easier if you live not too far from your base, as a lot of them are last minute trips and they need someone that can be there ASAP. Open time is based on seniority, of course. As a new hire you may struggle getting them whenever you want. But you’ll get seniority quickly enough that you’ll eventually be making a lot more money if you wanna work extra. I know FO’s who break $300k.

Just PM me and I’ll make sure you get the interview.

e.pilot posted:

QoL is massively fleet dependent here, pick the 737 if you like time off and decent money, 767 if you like money and a decent amount of time off, 747 and 777 are only if you hate yourself/your family.

Bases are fairly irrelevant because we have gateway travel, pick one that’s easiest for you to get to or you like the flying that particular base has. There are a couple of exceptions that won’t matter until you have the seniority to hold them.

737 will pretty much always be min guarantee for now
767 can make some decent money, 70-80 hours is pretty typical
747 lines all kinda suck rear end but there’s money to be made there but you’re going to work for it and be massively fatigued
777 is hell and not worth it at all, avoid if at all possible

open time is seniority based and pretty decent as far as industry standards go, if you play the game well you can usually pull off 2-3 100-120+ hour months a year without giving the company any extra work days

open time availability is very fleet dependent

overall it’s not a bad place to work, but after 5 years here I’ve got my resume out at the majors for reasons I won’t go into in a public forum

I’ve been on all the fleets but the 777 at this point and am happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks a lot for the info!

I'm a few months from making a decision so I'll hit you guys up if I think of any other questions!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Did you watch the video? That isn't skytyping. Classic all-manual skywriting.

It… Absolutely is. I was replying to something that was clearly skytyping, but very well might be a figment of my fatigued mind. I have no idea what I was looking at.

:v:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
There was a recent skytyping thing that made the forums/social media/group chats circuit in a minor way.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
There were two on social media. One about a sky writer drawing a smiley face over somewhere, and one about Allegiants pilot contract with was sky typed over the superbowl.

Both were neat but neither obtained the legendary status of the sky "writing" over Whidbey Island a few years ago by some F-18s.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

There were two on social media. One about a sky writer drawing a smiley face over somewhere, and one about Allegiants pilot contract with was sky typed over the superbowl.

Both were neat but neither obtained the legendary status of the sky "writing" over Whidbey Island a few years ago by some F-18s.

Those guys absolutely should have been promoted for that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

azflyboy posted:

Those guys absolutely should have been promoted for that.

Do we know if they're still on flight status or did their keys get taken away?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Nothing like a good unexpected APU shutdown during de-icing :unsmigghh:

Back to the gate we go for the start cart

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Kesper North posted:

Do we know if they're still on flight status or did their keys get taken away?

I’m pretty sure it was some light peepee slapping but nobodies careers or flying was hurt due to it. Chances are those guys are shuttling airliners around the country as we speak.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have some questions about constant speed props

The normal procedure for changing power seems to be "prop forward, throttle forward" to increase or "throttle back, prop back" to decrease. I understand in general this is to prevent pressure surges in the prop regulator.

Does this mean it would be some flavor of bad to, for instance, reduce the throttle without also reducing the prop speed or similar?

Does it work the same for turboprops or is there something different about their power bands? Watching random pilot youtube vids makes it seem like they're more like max for takeoff and then pull back for cruise.

One more: for piston planes with constant speed props, people talk about varying rules of thumb about running the prop/engine "square", ie the manifold pressure less than, equal to, or greater than the rpm/100. Others say as long as you're within the limits in the POH you can do whatever. Is there anything mechanical about this, or is it more of a shorthand for not remembering or looking at power charts? Assuming the power output is the same, is there some advantage to running higher pressure + lower rpm vs lower pressure + higher rpm?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Fake answer, push lever receive FADEC

I'm a dumb fixed pitch pilot as well and I'm curious about this, and also how one determines they are at X% power, like "I cruise at WOT 70% power" (???)

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Infinotize posted:

Fake answer, push lever receive FADEC

I'm a dumb fixed pitch pilot as well and I'm curious about this, and also how one determines they are at X% power, like "I cruise at WOT 70% power" (???)

I'm also a dumb fixed pitch pilot, but I assume there would be a table in the POH with power settings at various rpm/manifold pressure combinations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://youtu.be/A1fmNFWNHD4?si=ee5WOtelkxUHA6wj

N.B. I haven't watched the video but I tend to trust Mike Busch on engines. His books are fantastic.

A lot of 'rules' about airplane operation are basically myths through passed down though generations of CFIs playing telephone (not talking about FARs or actual aviation).

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

the milk machine posted:

The normal procedure for changing power seems to be "prop forward, throttle forward" to increase or "throttle back, prop back" to decrease. I understand in general this is to prevent pressure surges in the prop regulator.

Does this mean it would be some flavor of bad to, for instance, reduce the throttle without also reducing the prop speed or similar?

Does it work the same for turboprops or is there something different about their power bands? Watching random pilot youtube vids makes it seem like they're more like max for takeoff and then pull back for cruise.

One more: for piston planes with constant speed props, people talk about varying rules of thumb about running the prop/engine "square", ie the manifold pressure less than, equal to, or greater than the rpm/100. Others say as long as you're within the limits in the POH you can do whatever. Is there anything mechanical about this, or is it more of a shorthand for not remembering or looking at power charts? Assuming the power output is the same, is there some advantage to running higher pressure + lower rpm vs lower pressure + higher rpm?

In general, the idea is to avoid running a high manifold pressure with a low RPM, since it's like trying to launch your car in 3rd gear, and can stress some engine components in bad ways.

Unless you're running an engine with a reduction gear, leaving the prop at a relatively high RPM with a lower power setting generally won't hurt anything.

Turboprops are a somewhat different beast, since the engine is always turning way faster than the prop, so cruise is usually more about reducing the prop RPM for noise, but there's also generally a power reduction, especially with a non FADEC setup.

The "never run over square!" thing is firmly in the category of "old wives tale", since there's numerous airplane and engine manuals (especially for turbocharged ones) where there's a bunch of over square power settings, so if the engine and airframe manufacturer say it's okay, it's probably just fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the milk machine posted:

Think of the CS prop as a CVT transmission. It varies load to equal power output, in order to achieve the commanded RPM. This is used to reduce wear and tear, temperatures, improve fuel economy, and reduce noise. Running the engine at a lower RPM and higher manifold pressure increases the effective cylinder pressures. This can improve fuel economy, but is only possible to the point that it starts causing preignition, knocking, or other ignition issues. Airplane engines have fixed ignition timing, so you can’t use ignition curves to improve this behavior like car engines do. Think of a car engine being lugged in top gear at highway speeds with the pedal down. That’s similar to what you’re doing to an aircraft engine running too much MP at low engine speeds. Running an engine with the MP higher than RPM is completely fine, if the manufacturer says it is. (They almost all say it is, within limits.)

Now think of eighty-plus years of hangar “wisdom” being applied to the operation of an aircraft engine. It’s all smoke and mirrors and shade tree bullshit. Follow the instructions in the PoH.

Turboprops are a whole different ball of wax, and fall into two very broad categories: Single-shaft and free-turbine. Again, very broadly speaking a single shaft turboprop has the propeller directly connected to the power turbine through a reduction gearbox. The engine essentially runs at 100% RPM even at idle (with almost no load) and the blades remain in flat pitch. When you advance the power lever, the blades move towards coarse pitch at the same time the fuel control is adding additional fuel, generating thrust. The engine governs itself to maintain nearly the same RPM at all times. These engines are mostly obsolete, but are probably best represented in modern times by the TPE331 series.

The other type is the free-turbine. This type is widely represented across the manufacturers, and is best represented by the Pratt and Whitney PT6.

The prop here is again connected to the power turbine through a reduction gearbox, but the power turbine is on a second spool inside the engine. That is to say, the compressor turbine and the power turbine are attached to separate but concentric shafts, and are free to turn at different RPMs. This type of engine uses a constant speed prop that is of very similar concept (during flight operation) to that on a piston engine, but whose governor works in a different way.

I’m not even going to begin to explain it, so here’s a primer on the PT6 prop governor specifically. This type of engine and prop combination is more modern, safer, cheaper, and more reliable, and is the flavor that’s been chosen by basically every engine manufacturer for the past fifty years.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Walrusmaster posted:

I'm also a dumb fixed pitch pilot, but I assume there would be a table in the POH with power settings at various rpm/manifold pressure combinations.

Yes that's it.
Wipe open throttle means the atmosphere at your altitude is setting the manifold pressure, so you just have to set your prop for the RPM at your desired power level, then your mixture for rich of peak or lean of peak.

It's going back to juggling two knobs instead of three.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

read this guys blog posts from 20 years ago. hugely informative info on constant speed prop operation and general piston engine tips

https://www.avweb.com/features/avweb-classics/pelicans-perch/pelicans-perch-63where-should-i-run-my-engine-part-1/

edit: better url

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 27, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
thanks for all the great info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

the milk machine posted:

The normal procedure for changing power seems to be "prop forward, throttle forward" to increase or "throttle back, prop back" to decrease.

Everything they said is true, but to answer this part in a nutshell: For every RPM there's a max allowed manifold pressure, (though, as has been pointed out, this is not "square") to avoid exceeding the safe cylinder pressure during combustion; and doing the changes in this order prevents you from temporarily going through a non-allowed combo. Both directions of power change, you're going in the safer direction first.