Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kagrenak posted:

Sick back pedal from "a total lie."

Love that apparently publicly putting pressure on Israel about a deal is now also bad because of unspecified reasons.

What’s it like, completely lacking pattern recognition? Biden has been claiming that a ceasefire is imminent for weeks and weeks now, and Israel invariably ends up pantsing him publicly by saying “lol nah we’re going to kill them and take their land”.

It’s not real pressure, it’s political cover.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah the only useful info about a ceasefire deal at this point will come directly from Hamas, as they're the last people who are consulted. You can occasionally glean something from direct netanyahu statements, but anything from Biden or the US is complete trash and should be ignored. We've seen people falling for it over and over.

There's nothing at all to indicate that the intractable lines from Hamas and netanyahus coalition have moved at all. At this stage we're just waiting for March 10.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

fool of sound posted:

What’s it like, completely lacking pattern recognition? Biden has been claiming that a ceasefire is imminent for weeks and weeks now, and Israel invariably ends up pantsing him publicly by saying “lol nah we’re going to kill them and take their land”.

It’s not real pressure, it’s political cover.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...9f-7ffd246e0000

The messaging of news on the last round was pretty different from both Biden and Qatar.

Although on the other hand, it seems like Hamas is on board with the "domestic messaging" theory, even though this is the most optimistic language I've seen from them as well:

quote:

For any agreement to work, he told journalist Willem Marx, Hamas’s red lines must be met, including:

* The return of people to their homes, especially in the north of the Gaza Strip
* The total withdrawal of the Israeli military from Gazan territory
* Support for rebuilding efforts
* Aid for Gaza’s population, particularly food and medicine
* A guaranteed ceasefire
* Palestinian prisoners being freed

However, Naim said that Hamas is willing to be flexible on the timing and sequencing of these demands, as long as the total ceasefire begins on day one of the implementation of any agreement.

Hamas is also seeking guarantors such as Egypt, Qatar, Turkey, the United Nations, the United States and Russia to ensure and verify that any deal is upheld by Israel, he said.

He also said that US President Biden’s public assertion that a ceasefire deal will be reached by this Monday is being seen by Hamas as intended for the US domestic audience, and not as a tactic to put pressure on Israel to accept a truce deal.

As evidence for this, Naim cited the fact that the US continues to veto calls for an immediate ceasefire in the UN Security Council, and also continues to send military support to Israel.

Does anyone know when the last military aid shipment was actually sent? My understanding was that the drawdown authority was used up and any more aid needs actual funding.

I know that Biden supports more either way and that's not what I'm trying to sneakily get at or anything.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 27, 2024

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kagrenak posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...9f-7ffd246e0000

The messaging of news on the last round was pretty different from both Biden and Qatar.

Can you be specific about the difference in messaging you are seeing?

https://x.com/AJEnglish/status/1762435851579961554

Both of those sound like "oh don't worry everyone loves the deal no you can't see it yet but it will happen soon".

e: This is assuming that reading the tea leaves of press release tone is useful at all, which I don't think there's any reason to believe.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2024

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken, the process for these negotiations is that the US and Israel pitch things to Qatar and/or Egypt, who go "yeah sure", and then it gets sent to Hamas who respond "why did you fax me a brown smear on a tissue?"

So it's probably to be expected that Israel/US/Qatar will hype up any deal to try to encourage Hamas to take it, regardless of how trash and DOA it is.

If all parties were actually interested in expedited negotiations you'd have Hamas speak for themselves, but Israel/US don't want to "legitimize" them, and Israel would probably try to assassinate any effective negotiator anyways.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

So it's probably to be expected that Israel/US/Qatar will hype up any deal to try to encourage Hamas to take it, regardless of how trash and DOA it is.

Hamas isn't responsive to American public opinion. Why would they care if an American audience knows about the deal or thinks it's a good deal?

If we believe Biden is publicly discussing a ceasefire to put pressure on one side to make it happen, that wide is obviously Israel, the side that has non-zero interest in American public sentiment.

Edit responding to post below: awesome, I hope he gets surprised more and more, surprised into physiological difficulty

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 27, 2024

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah Biden just loving lied about this poo poo

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1762440064053711308

Please exercise at least some degree of skepticism about things politicians say

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
drat I can’t believe Lucy would pull the football away right before Charlie Brown could kick it… again!

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

"Deadly military actions" is ridiculous euphemism for "genocide".

akin to the Russian government calling the attack on Ukraine a 'special military operation', it's sickening.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah Biden is just saying stuff to try and placate the Democrat base, they didn't expect there to be this much resistance to Biden's support of genocide. I wouldn't rule out that Biden is addled enough to believe some of it himself. You could pretty much ignore any mainstream western media on this as long as you're paying attention to Israeli and Arabic media and you'd have a much better picture of what's going on.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel
https://twitter.com/DSchwammenthal/status/1762560219270300049?t=jSVK0zHN53psJPLu2lVpyw&s=19

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
well yeah that's why I keep saying we need to sway regular folks and the democratic apparatus (made up of regular folks and tedious dorks)

those numbers admittedly include Republicans though

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Yeah Biden just loving lied about this poo poo

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1762440064053711308

Please exercise at least some degree of skepticism about things politicians say

lol while eating ice cream? for real?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The framing of those questions would make the most hardened push pollster blush.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I don’t wish to touch the accursed website, but how were they polled? If it was via landline, well…

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

"Back Israel over hamas" is such absurd framing I don't even know where to start

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

teen witch posted:

I don’t wish to touch the accursed website, but how were they polled? If it was via landline, well…

It’s a monthly poll. Methodology is online polling:

quote:

The Harvard CAPS / Harris Poll is conducted by The Harris Poll & HarrisX online within the United States every month and captures the responses of over 2,000 registered voters. The results reflect a nationally representative sample. Results were weighted for age within gender, region, race/ethnicity, marital status, household size, income, employment, and education where necessary to align them with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.

Full results can be found here: https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/HHP_Feb2024_KeyResults.pdf

The most odd takeaway I have regarding this latest poll is on page 64: the 25-34 age group are the least likely to favor Israel vs Hamas (at 66% supporting Israel), but are also the second most likely to think that Israel is doing everything possible to avoid civilian casualties (at 70%) :confused:

E: Misread the polling question

Kalit fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 28, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know what the hell is going on with that poll, but in December it had some pretty wild data, too. Just to remind everyone

Paladinus posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell is happening in this poll in the section about the Israel-Palestine conflict?

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/HHP_Dec23_KeyResults.pdf

Even setting the insanely provocative questions aside, the numbers are so wildly inconsistent, I just don't understand how it could have been published.

80% of the 18-24 year-olds think that Israel has the right to bomb Gaza (with ~75% saying that Israel is trying to avoid civilian casualties), but at the same time 51% in the same age group say Israel should be ended and its territory given to Hamas. All the while 61% also say that Hamas' attack on Oct 7 was genocidal in nature. I suspect that the absence of options for 'I don't know' and 'other' is what makes the numbers completely uninterpretable, but who and why would choose to conduct a poll like that? Absolutely boggles the mind. Were polls by CAPS/Harris always that awful?

I still think that if otherwise conducted properly, the issue is probably with other/don't know answers.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kalit posted:

The most odd takeaway I have regarding this latest poll is on page 64: the 25-34 age group are the least likely to favor Israel vs Hamas (at 66% supporting Israel), but are also the second most likely to think that Israel is doing everything possible to avoid civilian casualties (at 70%) :confused:

It isn't asking if they think Israel is doing "everything possible" just if they think they're trying to avoid civilian casualties. It's a lower threshold.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

TGLT posted:

It isn't asking if they think Israel is doing "everything possible" just if they think they're trying to avoid civilian casualties. It's a lower threshold.

Whoops, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the correction!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Americans are stupid on a level even I hadn't dreamed possible if nearly 70 percent think Israel tries to avoid civilian casualties especially this late in the game.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
The results in that polling are completely insane.

Trump had 57% approval retrospectively.
The 3 highest net favourables are Trump, RFK Jr, and Elon Musk. Jesus christ.

Netanyahu has higher net favourable than AOC?

This is truly a country in a rapid decline.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm too lazy to look. Is this a phone poll?

This might be copium, but I think so many recent polls are getting warped by the fact that most people aren't going to answer phone calls from unknown numbers anymore. I would not be surprised if there are a ton of older people (with all the ideological baggage that entails) or otherwise ideologically driven and ticked off people itching to express their discontent affecting those numbers.

Then again, maybe that's the whole point of a poll?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1762332079810093080

This is probably only the start of the character assassination of Aaron Bushnell.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"Do you favor an unconditional ceasefire that would leave everyone in place, or do you think a ceasefire should happen only after the release of all hostages and Hamas is removed from power?"

"Do you support Israel continuing its ground invasion into Southern Gaza to root out the final elements of Hamas or oppose it because 1.2 million civilians have taken shelter there and will be under significant risk of harm if Israel pushes forward?"

It's a push poll. Polls designed to tilt the respondent's answers in a certain direction. People are extremely malleable to the most recent facts & framing they've heard; you soften them up by "informing" them with the first few questions, then you drop the more ostensibly neutral questions and they will answer in the direction you want.

The questions in this poll paint the following image: That a ceasefire would leave the Israeli hostages in Gaza, that Hamas is on its last leg & victory is within Israel's grasp, that Israel is primarily targeting Hamas and trying to avoid casualties. Equipped with these facts, a ceasefire seems absolutely braindead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahgjEjJkZks

This exact polling firm/commissioner has actually come up previously, for the same reason:

Paladinus posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell is happening in this poll in the section about the Israel-Palestine conflict?

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/HHP_Dec23_KeyResults.pdf

Even setting the insanely provocative questions aside, the numbers are so wildly inconsistent, I just don't understand how it could have been published.

80% of the 18-24 year-olds think that Israel has the right to bomb Gaza (with ~75% saying that Israel is trying to avoid civilian casualties), but at the same time 51% in the same age group say Israel should be ended and its territory given to Hamas. All the while 61% also say that Hamas' attack on Oct 7 was genocidal in nature. I suspect that the absence of options for 'I don't know' and 'other' is what makes the numbers completely uninterpretable, but who and why would choose to conduct a poll like that? Absolutely boggles the mind. Were polls by CAPS/Harris always that awful?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 28, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1762332079810093080

This is probably only the start of the character assassination of Aaron Bushnell.

The article paints a very sympathetic and humanising picture of him, actually. I know a lot of people don't read articles past the headline, but the content of the article is far from being a smear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/26/israeli-embassy-airman-fire-death-gaza/

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Paladinus posted:

The article paints a very sympathetic and humanising picture of him, actually. I know a lot of people don't read articles past the headline, but the content of the article is far from being a smear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/26/israeli-embassy-airman-fire-death-gaza/

only the headline matters in todays world. no one reads past the headline and if your lucky the first paragraph. it's a typical media tactic to get the lie accross while avoiding liability and covering their rear end if called on it.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Look at the polling firm- it's Mark Penn's. He is a centrist grifter, this is probably the most well known of his blunders: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...inner-take-all/. This is just a push pull.

His wife runs No Labels.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Aren't headline writers completely separate from the article writers anyway?

It's kinda sad but understandable that nobody in US news would frame it as an act of heroic sacrifice but I guess a "he wasn't obviously crazy" is the best we're gonna get.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

plogo posted:

Look at the polling firm- it's Mark Penn's. He is a centrist grifter, this is probably the most well known of his blunders: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...inner-take-all/. This is just a push pull.

His wife runs No Labels.

Thanks, I couldn't find that connection at the time for some reason. Very illuminating.

WarpedLichen posted:

Aren't headline writers completely separate from the article writers anyway?

It's kinda sad but understandable that nobody in US news would frame it as an act of heroic sacrifice but I guess a "he wasn't obviously crazy" is the best we're gonna get.

It varies from site to site. Reporters/contributors often provide their own headlines, but editorial can always pick something more 'clickable' or more safe/less open to litigation for a variety of reasons, which is probably what happened here, since the 'anarchist past' is not really dwelled on in the article.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Paladinus posted:

IDK, they lead with the whole anarchist thing and then never come back to really touch on it later? The whole article kinda feels half finished to me.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

PSYCORPS

THIS guy is being portrayed in an unsympathetic light??
https://twitter.com/OurielOhayon/status/1762708089109643367?t=VWrYVr17WXVUzohO6JWoQQ&s=19

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

His account has been identified and people have said they can't find evidence he made that post.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

That screenshot is fake as hell. there are others that seem to be real but nothing anti-Semitic at all.

https://twitter.com/MrRabbitGA/status/1762715534355828982

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 28, 2024

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

His account has been identified and people have said they can't find evidence he made that post.

What, Israel shills are just making poo poo up?? How surprising.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

PSYCORPS

His posts are being deleted.
https://www.reddit.com/user/acebush1/

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/MrRabbitGA/status/1762715534355828982

If it was real you'd think they'd have posted a link at some point, perhaps used archive.today or something to secure it, instead of just a screenshot.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Okay, what do you think is more likely? That he posted it? Or that Zionist propagandists are lying?

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

PSYCORPS

Do I think it is unlikely that a guy who set himself on fire posted a bunch of unhinged poo poo on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Illmade posted:

Do I think it is unlikely that a guy who set himself on fire posted a bunch of unhinged poo poo on the internet?

You can still go through his comments using this tool and that one isn't there. Objectively it is a fake and you are posting lies.

https://old.reddit.com/user/acebush1/

You can tell his protest was effective based on how obviously furious every zionist is about it.