Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Stop Settlement Growth

That's what it's called.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Ottomans just allied loving Poland. Poland, please do one.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Whorelord posted:

The Ottomans just allied loving Poland. Poland, please do one.

Poland knows what's up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-27th-of-february-roadmap-to-1-37.1625239/

Theme of the next dlc is "everything we had to cut from the last two dlcs, plus all the stuff people have been asking for the loudest". Real hodgepodge of content but it all sound spretty cool. Has real final DLC vibes; tying up all the loose ends before moving on to eu5

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the year is 2020. the latest DLC for EU4 feels like it’s going to be the last one before EU5.

the year is 2024. the latest DLC for EU4 feels like it’s going to be the last one before EU5.

the year is 2029. the latest DLC for EU4 feels like it’s going to be the last one before EU5.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tbh I wouldn't mind if they just keep updating eu4 forever and never make eu5. There's almost no chance launch eu5 will be better than eu4+dlcs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I kinda wonder if lots of the content they're putting together will be ported over to EU5 - so it gets relaunched with its own new engine and base game, but lots of the stuff they've developed in the last few years for these mega overhaul patches ends up being part of the new thing so there's deep content at launch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheetah7071 posted:

Tbh I wouldn't mind if they just keep updating eu4 forever and never make eu5. There's almost no chance launch eu5 will be better than eu4+dlcs
This is what I am dreading and dont envy that dev team having to deal with.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Agreed. They're going to drop a ton of stuff when EU5 comes out just like CK3. Still can't really play that one over CK2.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lots of eu4 mechanics can be gotten rid of without anyone caring. Don't think any of us will cry if innovativeness gets exterminated

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jay Rust posted:

lots of eu4 mechanics can be gotten rid of without anyone caring. Don't think any of us will cry if innovativeness gets exterminated
Mercantilism
Defender of the Faith
Light ships protecting trade doesnt reduce piracy numbers like another mission does, or prevent coastal raids
England existing
Army Tradition just being A Thing that you dont really interact with (I actually dont mind Tradition and Professionalism both being things, but one is better designed than the other in terms of gameplay mechanics)
Uhhh

edit: \/\/\/ Innovative IDEAS are amazing. Innovativeness the mechanic can easily go away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2024

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lots of people frickin' love innovativeness. You'll see them posting anytime someone calls innovative ideas mediocre

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I love Mercantilism, but it doesn't need to exist, you only need to have game mechanics that let you protect your trade income from other tags.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nice try. No one knows what mercantilism does

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It boosts provincial trade power op

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's not really ever worth spending diplo points on but that's more because the exchange rate is really bad than because mercantalism is weak

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"green number :shrug:"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

you raise mercantilism by granting the clergy a monopoly on wool or something that is produced by exactly one 3 dev province in exchange for 2 gold every 10 years

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I deffo would like to see EU5 even if its content sparse just so the team has a chance to rethink the core mechanics and replace Mana with Capacities similar to V3.

It'd also be neat if warfare also got a huge rework in general to be less about doomstacking but maybe not abstracted away like in V3.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not really ever worth spending diplo points on but that's more because the exchange rate is really bad than because mercantalism is weak

Don't you just crank it up by giving merchants monopolies on goods in exchange for money?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

cheetah7071 posted:

I want EU free of feature creep. Later Paradox games are good about it. But EU4 is so broad and disjointed, and the UI is horrible. Every time I play a campaign I rediscover some features cause they're hidden in the UI or are just in the corner and you only remember about them when an alert appears. Like naval doctrines. Or contextual estate privileges. Or triggered modifiers. Or state centralization. Or special units that you'll only see if you use a specific build screen.

I don't expect EU5 be as massive as EU4 but I expect it to be better than EU4. Similar argument happened after EU3 getting 5 expansions and a lot of reworks. More recently there's CK3. I'd be happy if EU5 is similar to CK3 in terms of changes.

They could probably update Stellaris forever because of its more solid base and Custodian initiative.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's also the fact that a lot of EU4 is kinda imbalanced from a multiplayer skill perspective, there's a lot of systems if you don't do things the right way you're knee capping yourself really hard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The insane number of hidden nooks and crannies which mean you're still discovering things a thousand hours in is a big part of what keeps me coming back to this game

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I think it would be neat if they would try something like the following:

Take away manual province development, and instead have a slow, automatic increase every month/year, to reflect general population growth. You could then add negative modifiers (for example, for battles fought in that province and/or armies marching through it), as well as positive ones (for example, the amount could go up if neighboring provinces have gone down - to reflect refugees or people emigrating to more peaceful areas). I don't know how you would balance it, but it would be a way to disincentivize constant warfare, or even manipulate rivals/neighbors into wars. As a bonus, it would be an incentive for the AI to NOT allow military access, especially for wars halfway around the globe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shroud posted:

I think it would be neat if they would try something like the following:

Take away manual province development, and instead have a slow, automatic increase every month/year, to reflect general population growth. You could then add negative modifiers (for example, for battles fought in that province and/or armies marching through it), as well as positive ones (for example, the amount could go up if neighboring provinces have gone down - to reflect refugees or people emigrating to more peaceful areas). I don't know how you would balance it, but it would be a way to disincentivize constant warfare, or even manipulate rivals/neighbors into wars. As a bonus, it would be an incentive for the AI to NOT allow military access, especially for wars halfway around the globe.

In my experience, especially in multiplayer, warfare is already heavily disincentivized. Its too easy to play tall, and too easy to beat up the AI, and never actually fight another player unless you have virtually no other choice because in a do or die circumstance between debasing, scorch earth and so on, you can drag out the war basically forever.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

cheetah7071 posted:

The insane number of hidden nooks and crannies which mean you're still discovering things a thousand hours in is a big part of what keeps me coming back to this game

To each their own but personally I think largely paid game features so forgettable you rediscover them once every 250 hours is terribad, even before you get into how many are near useless vs the handful that are op as gently caress, or how many supercede or replicate previous features

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want EU4 to go away entirely because trade is stupid and I hate it.

EU5 will be a shell of EU4 and it will be worth as long as it has a not-horrible not-hardcoded trade system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like some of the effects the trade system has on gameplay but yeah the actual implementation should probably not be something that just makes trade empires impossible outside of a handful of locations, and not something that requires dedicated hour-long tutorials to start to learn

The specific knock-on effects I like is how it makes some provinces more valuable than others, and how it directs your conquest in certain directions, rather than all expansion being more or less equal

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone knows all trade in the world flows to the English channel and not out of it. Everyone knows to avoid the great North Sea garbage float.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah it'd be cool if trade was dynamic and procedural. So it flows based on development/demand; like low development maybe tends to be where resources are extracted from over rivers/trade routes towards areas of high development and as development gets higher and "tech" gets more advanced it becomes more international as more overseas routes open up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sounds complicated

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Would it actually put the silk road into the game? It never ends up moving any trade wealth for me. Everything is just stuck in China or India with a lump in Persia and that's it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

you raise mercantilism by granting the clergy a monopoly on wool or something that is produced by exactly one 3 dev province in exchange for 2 gold every 10 years

You can max out mercantlism with the priv that requires 3 trade centers where you have a merchant (or your home node) then remove that merchant (or your trade capital) to somewhere else while the screen is open and just keep readding it as it gets removed every day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

if you play religious/catholic mercantilism is basically free as you have so much pope money that you can basically buy a point every month.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Been busy but grabbed another cheevo.

Hungary tree is quite fun, giving PU CBs on Naples, Bohemia, Austria, and Poland/PLC, also letting you join the HRE if you PU Bohemia.

Shoutout to Spanish Britain.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

much like the navy in HoI4 I will never put the hours in to understand what is happening with trade, I still play this like it's EU3

I would love to see an EU5 just because it would be nice to see a new game where every mechanic is considered and not a semi-abandoned feature of a DLC from seven years ago, until of course the DLC cycle starts up again and we get right back to where we are right now. Also because I've never gotten over my mana hater status from ten years ago even if I like EU4 now for having Anbennar

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hellioning posted:

EU5 will be a shell of EU4 and it will be worth as long as it has a not-horrible not-hardcoded trade system.

We say this every time and it never is.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Captain Oblivious posted:

We say this every time and it never is.

Do you mean every step past Europa Universalis 1 was downhill for Paradox? Or did they produce their best games exactly at the time when you first played them? Or that all the sequels are actually great?..

I think every game they've recently made is better than what they did before, but I'm not necessarily a person who is interested in these games. E.g. I haven't played CK3 as much as CK2 but it's a much better game, I've just realized that character-focused strategy games doesn't interest me as much as it did before, or as much as I thought it did one day.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 28, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I mean that in the case of CK3 and Victoria 3, sure we got a game with better bones but then it inevitably turns into a 3 to 5 year wait for the better bones to matter.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ilitarist posted:

Do you mean every step past Europa Universalis 1 was downhill for Paradox? Or did they produce their best games exactly at the time when you first played them? Or that all the sequels are actually great?..

As someone who played both EU1 and EU2 extensively, EU2 was by far the superior of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Groke posted:

As someone who played both EU1 and EU2 extensively, EU2 was by far the superior of those two.

Falalalalalalan