Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nice. I've never been deep into chains like that (I do power transmission chain everyday but not this) so it was new to me. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
The Icon line of wrenches at HF have been well reviewed by Torque Test Channel from price-performance perspective.

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
New machine day for this guy a couple of days ago.

Crappy pic, but its the Blue Compressor and the Grey Refrigderated Air Dryer.

I've dealt with noisy piston compressors for years, and this thing is going to be amazing.

Single Phase, Rotary Screw Compressor, 10 Bar, and an Air Dryer ..... my beadblaster won't know what hit it!

I also bought a decent quality grease gun and holy poo poo what a difference!

https://imgur.com/a/thF5sUg

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

drat, screw compressor? Talk about the good life.

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
And a giant Air Conditioner .... life is good!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is it a mini split setup? Could you run heat off it?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is it a mini split setup? Could you run heat off it?

No. Its self contained, its the white box on the bench in the pic.

And the heat it puts out is minimal, compared to the compressor itself.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

XtaC posted:

New machine day for this guy a couple of days ago.

Crappy pic, but its the Blue Compressor and the Grey Refrigderated Air Dryer.

I've dealt with noisy piston compressors for years, and this thing is going to be amazing.

Single Phase, Rotary Screw Compressor, 10 Bar, and an Air Dryer ..... my beadblaster won't know what hit it!

I also bought a decent quality grease gun and holy poo poo what a difference!

https://imgur.com/a/thF5sUg

Did the compressor come with the cats, or were they already there to establish eminent domain over your car? :3:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MRC48B posted:

No. Its self contained, its the white box on the bench in the pic.

And the heat it puts out is minimal, compared to the compressor itself.

Wait, you’re telling me that this

Isn’t already a mini split?

I was so confused.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sorry i thought you meant the air dryer for his new air compressor. Miscommunication

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well after reading back, it appears OP was talking about an air conditioner in the way that you meant it: as something that conditions the air for the compressor. I just saw a pic and went wild. Apologies thread, I was in the wrong.

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
Yep, thats a 9kW reverse cycle splitty.

Perfect for the bullshit heat we are experiencing atm...

stupid Aussie summers!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I finally picked up something I've needed forever, just a cheap rear end seal press bushing kit. I've used sockets and just a drift and hammer with varying success in the past, but I put 4 seals in an engine yesterday and this set was exactly what I needed. The blue rings are different diameters and the silver ones are spacers to match the bolt length and depth of press. The flat silver one takes the center bushings that match your bolt size. I didn't use the seal puller, it's a nice idea but if the seal is in a recess like my rear cam seals then you can't get enough angle on the hooks to slip it in. I had to use my old flat hook puller that risks scratching the shaft if you're not careful. But the bushings are great.

https://www.amazon.com/ATPEAM-Bearing-Camshaft-Installer-Crankshaft/dp/B0B2BWQH61/

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
How do the Milwaukee m18 batteries hold up to daily abuse? I’m trying to drum up reasons to switch away from Ryobi as the tool brand we use for work. I have a feeling that half of our batteries we got at the $25/4ah Home Depot sale less than a year ago are about to die.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Meat Dimension posted:

How do the Milwaukee m18 batteries hold up to daily abuse? I’m trying to drum up reasons to switch away from Ryobi as the tool brand we use for work. I have a feeling that half of our batteries we got at the $25/4ah Home Depot sale less than a year ago are about to die.

my unprofessional opinion is to only swap to milwaukee if they have tools you need that ryobi doesn't

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

my unprofessional opinion is to only swap to milwaukee if they have tools you need that ryobi doesn't

Ryobi tools are adequate. There is a reason to swap to Red/Yellow/teal for reasons other than just availability.

I'm more than happy with my occasional tools being ryobi. Love the pole saw and baby chain saw. Things I need on a regular basis that don't hold up or perform as well as the majors inclue basically everything else you get in an "extended" kit......hammer drill, impact, circ saw, recip saw. If those are good enough for your use then hell yes buy those. There is a place in the market for those things. Just don't confuse that with being the right choice for every use case. It's homeowner level stuff for homeowners often at the right prive for that quality and that's great.

But it's also really easy to find those common tools in the major brands for a simialr price as refurbs or whatever bare tools and all your out is the battery system, which is superior.

It's like the harbor freight advice: if you need a tool once buy it there. If you use it enough to break it ans still need it buy a better one because you have proven your use case.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 21, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

It's like the harbor freight advice: if you need a tool once buy it there. If you use it enough to break it ans still need it buy a better one because you have proven your use case.

I've had good luck with this. For truly single use tools I'll get the central machinery version. If I'm gonna use it a couple times a year I'll go Bauer

It's always worth investing in a good quality drill. You should just be issued a 3/8 Milwaukee or similar corded drill along with your high school diploma

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

It's always worth investing in a good quality drill. You should just be issued a 3/8 Milwaukee or similar corded drill along with your high school diploma

Agreed, but also I built a whole drat pole barn with a drill/driver bit when impact drivers were a new thing and that's expensive why would I need that etc etc........goddamn was I dumb and cheap.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Motronic posted:

It's homeowner level stuff for homeowners often at the right prive for that quality and that's great.

….

I guess this was some of advice I was looking for. I’m mainly gunning for M18 because the company I work for seems to be Home Depot stans, but I should bring up the whole use case bit the next time an oscillating tool or sawzall dies. Or the cheap batteries that are starting to not charge anymore.

Maybe a better way to phrase my earlier post was “just how much more durable are the M18 batteries than the Ryobi ones? Or how many more charge discharge cycles can they take in the real world?”

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Just make sure it's not your Ryobi charger being rear end, even my new chargers and batteries need to be shimmed to charge properly when laying flat.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I've abused the daylights out of my Ryobi stuff and it's held up fine. The 1/2" impact does really well on old suspension bolts and lugnuts that were put on by the lowest paid guy at the tire shop.

My only complaint is the size of some of the Ryobi stuff. The cordless ratchet is great if you are working in the middle of a football field, but way too bulky to use in more places.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The Meat Dimension posted:

Some of my oldest M18 batteries are around 10 years old. They're in "light duty" applications these days.

Pun possibly intended.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Motronic posted:

Agreed, but also I built a whole drat pole barn with a drill/driver bit when impact drivers were a new thing and that's expensive why would I need that etc etc........goddamn was I dumb and cheap.

I can hear your fasteners camming out of your drill from here

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Team red is the biggest for professional/industrial users in my area and many tools are used repeatedly every single day for years. They're absolutely fine.

Sure, you might get a bad battery or tool every now and then, but it's not a general rule by any stretch. The warranties are pretty trouble free.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
On my job sites it's all red, yellow and teal. Lunch hours come and go with arguments about which color is best, but at the end of the shift all three seem to be on par. If you need to use a tool every day get one of those.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
HD is running a pretty good sale on a combo of Milwaukee's wrenches in metric and SAE. 30 pieces for $164. Comes out to $5.47 a wrench. Deal ends in a little over 8 hours. These are pretty well regarded by Torque Test Channel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Combination-SAE-and-Metric-Wrench-Mechanics-Tool-Set-30-Piece-48-22-9415-48-22-9515/309797186

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i just had my first "small" makita battery die the other day. no idea on the cycle count bit its well over 10 years old. there are some milwaukee specific tools i wish i had but makita has been awesome for what i use it for

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PhotoKirk posted:

My only complaint is the size of some of the Ryobi stuff. The cordless ratchet is great if you are working in the middle of a football field, but way too bulky to use in more places.

Heh, yeah. Definitely big, loud tools.

I'm just a casual user, but I had my Ryobi drill not work like the first time I needed to use it and the charger I got with the tools stopped working after some time. Both replaced under warranty. Could be bad luck.

I've had zero problems with my Makita tools.

I tend to still grab Ryobi stuff when it's some super occasional use tool and spend a bit more on Makita when I see myself using it more often.

Will hopefully put them through a lot more work this year.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Does anyone here have any experience with the Chinese excavators? 13.5hp Briggs or the 2-ton Kubota powered ones? I'm trying to figure out if I should just buy one for some site work that I need to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the Chinese excavators? 13.5hp Briggs or the 2-ton Kubota powered ones? I'm trying to figure out if I should just buy one for some site work that I need to do.

Check out Andrew Camarata on youtube. He just bought a gas one and is failry impressed with it (and he's someone who been running mints and fuil size exes for a while). He did mention something about costing a good $15k by the time it gets through customs so you want to find one alreay in the country.

I don't know what used miniex pricing looks like therse days, but I got a 90s Yanmar in that size range with a 10 HP diesel pre covid for $15k and would rather be running that than a chinese one. And defiitely more than any gas one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Somewhat minor point...besides the motor which looks legit based on what I looked at...hydraulics...valve bodies, solenoids, etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Check out Andrew Camarata on youtube. He just bought a gas one and is failry impressed with it (and he's someone who been running mints and fuil size exes for a while). He did mention something about costing a good $15k by the time it gets through customs so you want to find one alreay in the country.

I don't know what used miniex pricing looks like therse days, but I got a 90s Yanmar in that size range with a 10 HP diesel pre covid for $15k and would rather be running that than a chinese one. And defiitely more than any gas one.

Great, will do. I've seen the gas ones, already in the US, with free freight for $6k. The Diesel 2-ton units are a bunch more, but I would expect they're much more reliable and powerful. Prices for a Yanmar/Takauchi/Bobcat miniex locally are much higher than you paid, more like $20-25k with plenty of wear.

The LOL option is to buy a big machine, use it, and then try to sell it, Waldo-style. I'm not looking to make it easier to mow my lawn, but I've got a 700' trench to dig, and a path of 60'x1600' of trees to clear. This is all long-term stuff, so a small unit that I can use to pick away at it plus use for other stuff would be great.

Examples: https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/newmarket-2002-volvo-ec55-mini-excavator/7719131763.html (small)
https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/newmarket-2010-bobcat-435-mini-excavator/7719130921.html (small)
https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/stafford-caterpillar-3018-excavator/7708485534.html (small)
https://nh.craigslist.org/hvo/d/londonderry-halla-excavator/7721376569.html (big)

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 27, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sounds like you want a dozer with a ripper tooth as a rental, then an excavator for all the cleanup stuff.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sounds like you want a dozer with a ripper tooth as a rental, then an excavator for all the cleanup stuff.

Yeah, I'll probably contract out the huge stuff, then use something to pick away at the cleanup and small projects. We're already gonna have a company there doing septic install/driveway work. They're gonna quote the trench/conduit as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Great, will do. I've seen the gas ones, already in the US, with free freight for $6k. The Diesel 2-ton units are a bunch more, but I would expect they're much more reliable and powerful. Prices for a Yanmar/Takauchi/Bobcat miniex locally are much higher than you paid, more like $20-25k with plenty of wear.

Ouch. Mine has plenty of wear (currently at 2200 hours) and I've replaced a bunch of pins to tighten it up but yeesh, I'm not surprised similar is going for $20k now. If you can snag one for $6k already here I'd be all over that from what I've seen of them. Even better if it's from someplace that keeps them in stock. I think the biggest risk is goiung to be repair parts, and specifically the spool valve assembly. Who knows what kind it is, might be different from one to another, can you get repair parts or a full replacement, etc.

If it's the same thing you can find on aliexpress or from vevor that would be pretty great. But be aware that you may not be able to get hoses made for it as easily as you'd think. Some of them have weird thread pitch metric fittings that my local hose shop doesn't have ends for (but they can order them).

Overall for $6k vs. $20k+ I'd go for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are 2-3 importers here that each drop about 5 at every equipment auction.

It looks like they take them to Ritchie bros auctions all over, too, and they go for $3-4k brand new. The larger kubota engine ones of the same brand go for around $10-12k.

there are a ton of reviews on youtube if you search "AGT mini excavator"

Also starting to show up here are gas powered remote control lawmower/plow combos that go for about $1k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsko60-pPeU

Looks fun as hell.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 27, 2024

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

sharkytm posted:

My friend just bought one (same idea, seems cheaper than renting), and as its my friend, I don't have actual details, but here is what I remember:

Once the taxes and fees (import fees in canada are a lot) are done, its more, so like $16k cdn
If you don't have an excavator already, its hard to unload once you get it home, plus its like 10K lbs

His has a Yuchai YC35. it digs fast because it has the pump from the bigger excavator, and so moves around really fast.
you can see from the photo it leaks everywhere.

He says its downfall is the engine, it has 3.5 psi oil pressure, and 2 psi at idle.
It overheated, then wouldn't run. He is now 80% the way through an engine swap to a kobota engine he got off craigslist.
- So new engine after digging the foundation for 1 house.

Doing it again, he would pay way more, buy a real one and then sell it for the more money that you are seeing the other ones go for.
The issue of course is the big cash outlay at the beginning, and he is really cheap so he wouldn't. But that's his tune now.

If they show up at richie auctions for $10k that would be the one to get, don't have to deal with the port yourself and pay fees, put it together yourself without an excavator.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Check out Andrew Camarata on youtube.

This is just a good suggestion in general

He bought like, 20 acres in some rural... Mid Atlantic State? Western PA? WV? On the side of a rocky hill and then has had a demolition crew blow up what looks like a half acre of rock at a time (in drone slow motion) and then cleans it all up with a massive rusty old caterpillar D11 or D15 I forget

I'm not big in to construction videos but he makes some pretty great content

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Other work aside, how deep and wide do you need the trench to be that you can't use a dirt chainsaw(trencher) for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

blindjoe posted:

My friend just bought one (same idea, seems cheaper than renting), and as its my friend, I don't have actual details, but here is what I remember:

Once the taxes and fees (import fees in canada are a lot) are done, its more, so like $16k cdn
If you don't have an excavator already, its hard to unload once you get it home, plus its like 10K lbs

His has a Yuchai YC35. it digs fast because it has the pump from the bigger excavator, and so moves around really fast.
you can see from the photo it leaks everywhere.

He says its downfall is the engine, it has 3.5 psi oil pressure, and 2 psi at idle.
It overheated, then wouldn't run. He is now 80% the way through an engine swap to a kobota engine he got off craigslist.
- So new engine after digging the foundation for 1 house.

Doing it again, he would pay way more, buy a real one and then sell it for the more money that you are seeing the other ones go for.
The issue of course is the big cash outlay at the beginning, and he is really cheap so he wouldn't. But that's his tune now.

If they show up at richie auctions for $10k that would be the one to get, don't have to deal with the port yourself and pay fees, put it together yourself without an excavator.

That's a 40hp machine, and very much a bigger machine. The little $6k ones weigh 2000#, that one is 8300#. It sounds like he got a serious lemon, but that price is crazy low.

Powershift posted:

There are 2-3 importers here that each drop about 5 at every equipment auction.

It looks like they take them to Ritchie bros auctions all over, too, and they go for $3-4k brand new. The larger kubota engine ones of the same brand go for around $10-12k.

there are a ton of reviews on youtube if you search "AGT mini excavator"

Also starting to show up here are gas powered remote control lawmower/plow combos that go for about $1k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsko60-pPeU

Looks fun as hell.

Yeah, the $12k diesels are out of my price range more than likely. The ones at Richie for $4k are more my speed.

Motronic posted:

Ouch. Mine has plenty of wear (currently at 2200 hours) and I've replaced a bunch of pins to tighten it up but yeesh, I'm not surprised similar is going for $20k now. If you can snag one for $6k already here I'd be all over that from what I've seen of them. Even better if it's from someplace that keeps them in stock. I think the biggest risk is goiung to be repair parts, and specifically the spool valve assembly. Who knows what kind it is, might be different from one to another, can you get repair parts or a full replacement, etc.

If it's the same thing you can find on aliexpress or from vevor that would be pretty great. But be aware that you may not be able to get hoses made for it as easily as you'd think. Some of them have weird thread pitch metric fittings that my local hose shop doesn't have ends for (but they can order them).

Overall for $6k vs. $20k+ I'd go for it.
TBH, I'd probably source a spare spool valve to start. Hose end availability might be a problem, and I'll look into it. If enough are the same, I'll just buy some ends and bulk hose. New Hampshire has plenty of shops with the ability to crimp them on.

I'm just starting my research, and I'll check out Camarata's videos. Thanks!