Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think 12 Angry Men would be a very satisfying viewing experience if you cut out all the dialogue.

It's based on a stage play, Villeneuve specifically said dialog was for tv shows and plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

therattle posted:

I bloody love Sicario and I loved Arrival
Oh yeahh fair, those were both pretty good. I always forget Sicario was his.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Enemy and Prisoners are top notch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

It's based on a stage play, Villeneuve specifically said dialog was for tv shows and plays.

Yeah, but surely there are plenty of other scripts with a lot of great dialogue. e.g. Double Indemnity. Or does that not count because it's based on a prose serial?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think everything Villeneuve has done since Sicario was just ok but up to that point I was onboard with everything he put out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

yeah and i love me a good filmed stageplay, i'll gobble up old bbc productions of that poo poo. 12 angry men is directed by lumet and shot by dziga vertov's little brother, they knew what they were doing and what they did was the bare minimum. it's just barely a movie.

Gotta disagree on this. Like, one of the things that make it work is they clearly thought a lot about every single shot- you could easily have a film class go heavy into each choice of angle because they have one set (mostly) and a limited range of physical business for the actors, so how do you frame this line vs that one, how do you keep up the visual interest without getting distracting, etc.?

Honestly I figured it was color that Villeneuve isn't fond of.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gotta disagree on this. Like, one of the things that make it work is they clearly thought a lot about every single shot- you could easily have a film class go heavy into each choice of angle because they have one set (mostly) and a limited range of physical business for the actors, so how do you frame this line vs that one, how do you keep up the visual interest without getting distracting, etc.?

yeah that's what i mean. they did the bare minimum, no excess, just exactly the number of shots and exactly the angles and transitions they need to make it more than just a camera pointed at a stage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why would i want to go to the movies to hear someone talk? half the time they even say at the beginning "no talking during the movie" and then the movie's full of talking!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but surely there are plenty of other scripts with a lot of great dialogue. e.g. Double Indemnity. Or does that not count because it's based on a prose serial?

Some of my favourite films have dialogue!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gaius Marius posted:

The easy litmus test for this is simply to imagine how the film would work with every piece of dialogue cut. TWBB doesn't have dialogue for the first what twenty minutes? And you could cut every line and still get across every single emotion and action just on the cinematography, editing, and acting; the dialogue is purely additive, and is generally, like many PTA films, used to add humor instead of drama. Another example is the Omlette scene at the end of Phantom Thread, there are a few lines of dialogue, but PTA knows when to get out of his actors way and let them do their job instead of loading them up with unnecessary exposition.

One of my favorite films of the last five years is The Green Knight. The last what? 20 minutes or so have zero dialogue (except from the very very end) and it loving rules.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some of my best friends are capable of speech.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some of my best friends are capable of speech.

Shame you never learned from them. :negative:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Perhaps dialogue is yet another arrow in the cineaste's quiver, but then again, maybe not. We will never know

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" - Star Wars Man, from the movie 'Star Wars'

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They should make movies based on mime play, or whatever it is mimes do.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

But it is a movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

But it is a movie.

if a movie has above a certain amount of dialogue it turns back into a play

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

therattle posted:

Some of my favourite films have dialogue!

your directors were so preoccupied with whether or not they could include dialogue, they didn't stop to think if they should

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

when does a play become a tv show? And when does a tv show become a movie?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is there just a universal hard limit, or do movies with longer run times get more dialogue?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is there just a universal hard limit, or do movies with longer run times get more dialogue?

possibly, but if a movie's runtime is too long it turns into a tv show

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

when does a play become a tv show? And when does a tv show become a movie?

Nobody knows!

DeimosRising posted:

your directors were so preoccupied with whether or not they could include dialogue, they didn't stop to think if they should

I love this sub-forum and thread. It’s full of funny, nice, clever people who know a lot about movies (plus Gripweed).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Careful, you're talking to a multiple time completer of the October Challenge here

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Open Source Idiom posted:

My mate likes this because it means he can get up and go to the kitchen, make himself a snack and come back, sit down, browse the web for five minutes and keep the movie going the entire time he does all of this.

I think this is poo poo! But I suspect that's part of the impetus behind the mountains and mountains of verbal exposition these things have.

There are shows that are specifically designed to be second-screen entertainment, with the assumption that the person watching is going to be looking at their phone most of the time anyway. That is how a major amount of people watch TV. I really felt it watching The Haunting of Hill House. Two episodes in and all we get are protracted flashbacks, a dysfunctional family, a death, and the beginning of an autopsy. I like Mike Flanagan, but man were those episodes slack as hell.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best thing about Haunting of Hill House is all the background ghouls.

Like a reverse jump scare. People are talking about some family drama and the whole time some unnaturally pale hands are very slightly poking out from under the ottoman out of focus in the background.

Reminds me of Ghostwatch.

Want to steal it for some future project, where even if there is a main monster there's occasional bonus ghosts that nobody ever notices or comments on just kinda lurking in the frame.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Want to steal it for some future project, where even if there is a main monster there's occasional bonus ghosts that nobody ever notices or comments on just kinda lurking in the frame.

Goon ghosts gotta lurk more!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The point of a movie is not necessarily to remove or omit dialogue, but to understand that it’s extremely subordinate to the images.

This isn’t simply a preference, because we’ve seen through experience that audiences respond to exposition differently. Things that are told in a movie have a far lesser impact that what is shown, and you could probably even do research to measure this effect if so inclined.

At the same time, poorly-made films have very opposite effect where people actively ignore what’s onscreen and end up confused because they’re forced to rely on bad exposition. I’m going to make a wild, unresearched claim that the ‘Marvelization’ of cinema is what led to the trend of always-on subtitles.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This Three Men And A Baby reboot’s gonna be wild.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best thing about Haunting of Hill House is all the background ghouls.

Like a reverse jump scare. People are talking about some family drama and the whole time some unnaturally pale hands are very slightly poking out from under the ottoman out of focus in the background.

I really liked how, in Hereditary, in the framing shot of the house before the cult enters the main stage, you can see them standing in a row around the yard. But you don’t really have context for what you’re looking at, and it’s only for a second.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I’m going to make a wild, unresearched claim that the ‘Marvelization’ of cinema is what led to the trend of always-on subtitles.

Balancing all the dialogue to be very very quiet so I can blow out my windows when an explosion or music kicks in is what got me onto doing it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I didn’t mean it! But also I remember you as someone who keeps bringing up old posts of theirs that they think are funny, and I think that’s funny.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Elwes chat: Got to see a screening of Princess Bride with Cary Elwes this past weekend, highly recommend if you get the chance, he loves telling stories and he clearly still loves this role 30+ years later, plus you get all sorts of good Andre the Giant stories.

The emcee at my showing slipped up his introduction of Elwes, saying he had "at least two, three truly iconic roles. maybe more depending on how you feel about all the other movies"

Obviously one of the roles is Westley, assuming Saw is another. Wondering what he thinks the third one is? Robin Hood? Twister? His recurring role on Psych?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargo posted:

Elwes chat: Got to see a screening of Princess Bride with Cary Elwes this past weekend, highly recommend if you get the chance, he loves telling stories and he clearly still loves this role 30+ years later, plus you get all sorts of good Andre the Giant stories.

The emcee at my showing slipped up his introduction of Elwes, saying he had "at least two, three truly iconic roles. maybe more depending on how you feel about all the other movies"

Obviously one of the roles is Westley, assuming Saw is another. Wondering what he thinks the third one is? Robin Hood? Twister? His recurring role on Psych?

I'd put Men in Tights over Saw if I'm thinking "Iconic Cary Elwes roles." And for older people maybe Twister as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The mom's annoyingly involved boyfriend in Liar Liar obviously

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No respect for the man who played Fritz Arno Wagner?!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why would i want to go to the movies to hear someone talk? half the time they even say at the beginning "no talking during the movie" and then the movie's full of talking!

:perfect:

:vince:

:five:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The mom's annoyingly involved boyfriend in Liar Liar obviously

Isn't that one of those Rom Coms where the rival for the lead is actually just a completely decent dude?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't that one of those Rom Coms where the rival for the lead is actually just a completely decent dude?

Yeah he is totally a decent dude and (Jim) Carrey's jealousy of him is obviously portrayed as his own failing. Tbf he isn't given a last minute heel turn or an unceremonious ejection from the movie once his usefulness is done, he legitimately does have to move away for work and a that's a major plot point of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i only ever saw cary elwes in men in tights as a kid and then the next thing i saw him in (that i recognized it as him) was in saw as a young adult and i was like "lol that's the funny robin hood guy he can't be in a serious movie!"