Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

they should add a big shotgun that you have to call in and hold on your shoulder to fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Shoots a shotgun blast, and each pellet explodes into shrapnel after a set amount of time in the air or on impact.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Yes, they can. EAT, RR, AC and GL (if there's a weakpoint), Spear.

Arc thrower and flamethrower just bypass armor anyway, and in the case of the flame thrower destroys bug armor.

Anyone who thinks railgun is literally the only solution is just a meta follower who doesn't actually understand how anything works.

I think you missed the point there. Each one of the guns you listed has at least one of the other drawbacks I listed. The railgun has none of those.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the game also needs a man-portable mortar that can have different shell types

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have also never one shotted a bile titan except with the arc cannon and I think the advice to shoot in the mouth while spewing should be changed to shoot in the mouth where the brain would be maybe.

I'm gonna try that next time, aiming a bit higher than I usually do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

Man I was wondering how much vision accessibility stuff was in this game. When I saw how bright and high contrast the beacons were I sorta kinda wondered maybe I could give this a shot without feeling like I was dragging a team down. What kinda options are there? Based on what I've seen it just seems you can adjust the reticle. Can you increase the size? The color? Do only the drop beacons give off that pillar or can people ping with a similarly high contrast marker?

my colorblind roommate wasn't terribly happy with the options i think. he has a lot of trouble seeing the red enemy zones on the deployment map (though he sees them fine once we're actually in mission and looking at the tactical map)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We need a heavy bolter, shoulder fire like early table top

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Every support gun should, ideally, include at least one somewhat interesting problem that needs to be addressed or accommodated for in order to use it successfully. That seems to be the defining design priority for all the other support weapons in this game, anyway, and it is a good thing. It's what makes them interesting.

I don't know what that is supposed to be for the railgun, really, which is I think the problem people have with it. Not that it's good, but that it's never bad (by default, I'm aware you can make it even better by making it slightly bad).

If people want to point out the big drawback or flaw that makes the railgun an interesting weapon, feel free.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the game also needs a man-portable mortar that can have different shell types

Mortarcycle as a vehicle please

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

one time i picked up a railgun and took a few potshots with it. it seemed to fire really slowly and didn't kill the stuff i shot with it, presumably because i needed to hit a weakpoint of some kind. i then discarded it and picked my autocannon back up off the ground.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

one time i picked up a railgun and took a few potshots with it. it seemed to fire really slowly and didn't kill the stuff i shot with it, presumably because i needed to hit a weakpoint of some kind. i then discarded it and picked my autocannon back up off the ground.

Id still main Autocannon if not for Chargers

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Every support gun should, ideally, include at least one somewhat interesting problem that needs to be addressed or accommodated for in order to use it successfully. That seems to be the defining design priority for all the other support weapons in this game, anyway, and it is a good thing. It's what makes them interesting.

I don't know what that is supposed to be for the railgun, really, which is I think the problem people have with it. Not that it's good, but that it's never bad (by default, I'm aware you can make it even better by making it slightly bad).

If people want to point out the big drawback or flaw that makes the railgun an interesting weapon, feel free.

I think nominally it would be the lack of clearing ability, but that is shared with the other anti armor weapons and also easily covered by the breaker or call ins

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

flashman posted:

What is nonsense about it it's too strong lol it kills everything with very limited downsides

How many bug holes or bot farms you blow up with the railgun?

I'd be curious to see the breakdown on any corelation between the folks who think the railgun is the only useful support weapon at higher levels and the folks who mostly play with a set group of players who are communicative and team players, and those who play with mostly randos or rando goons.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The motorcycle was comically terrible in HD1 but I feel like HD2’s differences would actually make it really good now

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Owl Inspector posted:

The motorcycle was comically terrible in HD1 but I feel like HD2’s differences would actually make it really good now

I can't tell you how much I would love to roll around in the sidecar machine-gunning the gently caress outta bugs

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

We need a heavy bolter, shoulder fire like early table top

thats just the autocannon

its da best

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

the moment vehicles drop I'm going to just carry all of them for my teammates to ride around in style.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

you better be able to ride on the mechs shoulders like a deranged parrot

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ChaseSP posted:

the moment vehicles drop I'm going to just carry all of them for my teammates to ride around in style.

Keep in mind they locked some of the good vehicles behind completing high difficulty campaigns or DLC.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Support weapons generally need some... support.

Given: The Railgun is the bar against which other support weapons are measured - suffering solely against tanks (you have to get behind them to kill them efficiently) and dropships (you cannot kill them).

Autocannon: I think the AC is in an excellent spot as it is. It's versatile and it lets you kill stuff the Railgun cannot (buildings, bug holes, fabricators, spore mounds). You can also use it to wipe out entire patrols extremely quickly which is invaluable at high difficulty - the Railgun's low ROF by comparison makes it harder to cleanly execute a whole squad.

Grenade Launcher: Another weapon that I think is in a good spot. Incredibly strong for bug blitz missions, and on missions with spitters (though you have to get lucky in them showing up or not). Seems to be in a very good place in general.

EAT: In a decent place - but could MAYBE be buffed to 1-shot chargers if you hit them directly in the head. Also maybe buff it by giving it a third tube per calldown? More consistent 1-shots vs tank vents, Hulk eyeballs.
RR: As above - if the RR had the potential to 1-shot on a headshot, it would be very competitive vs Chargers specifically. I don't even know if it can 1-shot a Hulk if you hit the eyeball? I've had tanks survive being shot in the vents with it, too.
SPEAR: Please just fix the loving lock-on. Make it CONSISTENTLY 1 shot chargers. Make it consistently 1 shot tanks that you shoot from the side/back. It's a big commitment as is, needing a backpack and only having 4 shots, and needing lock.

The rocket-based weapons in general could do with an overall damage buff. Chargers should not survive being shot with an anti-tank weapon to the forehead, mainly. Tanks should not survive being shot with an anti-tank weapon to the vents.

HMG: Needs more ammo otherwise excellent.
LMG: No opinion I have literally never used it.
Flamethrower: Needs more range. Needs way higher DOT. Needs to slow/stagger enemies -especially bugs - on hit.
Arc Thrower: Very fun, actually surprisingly strong - but needs to have some sort of change made to how it picks targets. Very inconsistent. Tends to shoot into the dirt about 30% of the time and do nothing.
AM Rifle: It's grown on me but something feels very off about it. Maybe just fixing the godawful crosshair would help? Otherwise it is solid feeling all around, but could maybe stand to actually cause a bit of damage to heavy armor on hit.

Laser Cannon: This and the Scythe AR I think could do with a little change in how they work overall. Rather than going off armor penetration like the other weapons, make the laser based weapons build ~heat~ wherever you are hitting. At a certain threshold, heat 'bleeds through' the armor and starts damaging the stuff behind it. They kind of work like a sustained 'DOT' currently anyways - but making them able to melt through armor without necessarily destroying said armor would give them a unique sort of use of boiling bug brains inside their carapaces or just melting bot parts that are otherwise too chonky to 'penetrate'.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it worth bothering with Darktide now that game is so good and lively? Did Darktide go anywhere with that marketing about emerging story?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I can't tell you how much I would love to roll around in the sidecar machine-gunning the gently caress outta bugs

If you can have two bikes with sidecars shooting mounted autocannons, HMGs, lasers, rockets or whatever this will be the greatest game ever made

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it worth bothering with Darktide now that game is so good and lively? Did Darktide go anywhere with that marketing about emerging story?

The game is fun but I've completely abandoned it for hd2. They added new missions and a story event thing that was cool and the experience is better with new skill trees and stuff. It's a great game now but this is a greater game for my taste.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 27, 2024

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I really just wish the Autocannon/Grenade Launcher could crack and weaken heavier armor. Even if it took several shots having AC being able to wear down chargers would be better.

I'd say the same for bots but the goliath weakpoint is a lot more easy to hit because they're not as mobile. Also doesn't have the damage resistance the charger butt does.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this game would definitely be more fun if you could unload into armor with small arms and have them eventually break apart like praetorian armor in deep rock galactic

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

It's a great game. I've got a ton of hours in it and I'll definitely be picking it back up when I need a break from Helldivers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Railgun can kill spore towers from across the map actually, you just need a few shots.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We've lost the Creek, now people have to meme about going somewhere else now.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Owl Inspector posted:

The one time I tried to use this thing, my friend and I jumped in, jammed the accelerator, and promptly drove into a pre-placed minefield and died

The point of this story I guess is "add back random minefields to the map proc gen"

DarkDobe posted:

AM Rifle: It's grown on me but something feels very off about it. Maybe just fixing the godawful crosshair would help? Otherwise it is solid feeling all around, but could maybe stand to actually cause a bit of damage to heavy armor on hit.
The sight on the AMR is slightly misaligned at the moment, and you have to aim slightly below and to the right of where you want to hit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

I recommend it, best melee and first person shooting in the market. It's missing a pair of extra environments for the missions, imo, but still is very good.

But no, it didn't go anywhere about the story. Like, LOL, what story, it just plays like any other L4D clone but with a wh40k skin. Which is fine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

Support weapons generally need some... support.

If the game would have more (good) primary weapons good against armor, then the support weapons that are good against normal troops (your lmg and all that) would be a viable option. But I have never took them since I reached difficulty 5, basically, because you need some anti armor.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been using the Stalwart and Jump Pack and this is my answer to everything. Everyone talks about needing railguns or whatever but I can just lead a charger away from the group and leave it staring at a wall, never to bother us again.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ChaseSP posted:

We've lost the Creek, now people have to meme about going somewhere else now.

Automatons have hit every major military target in the creek, and hit 'em hard. In Mantes, the embassy has been overrun by suicide squads. Mandolin IV is standing by to be overrun. We also have reports that a division of bots has occupied all of the planet of Ubanea south of the Perfume River. In strategic terms, bots cut the planet in half... the civilian press are about to wet their pants and we've heard even General Brash is going to say the war is now unwinnable. In other words, it's a huge poo poo sandwich, and we're all gonna have to take a bite.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Insert name here posted:

The one time I tried to use this thing, my friend and I jumped in, jammed the accelerator, and promptly drove into a pre-placed minefield and died

The point of this story I guess is "add back random minefields to the map proc gen"
I think the rugged terrain on a lot of planets should already provide enough opportunities for motorcycle mishaps :v:

Baron Porkface posted:

It's a great game from a mechanics perspective but the "story" is barely a thing and it can get very repetitive, though for me the highest difficulty levels provide enough of a challenge to keep things interesting over hundreds of hours.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's a really good end-game build? When I got to l20 I switched from grenade launcher + supply pack to railgun and either guard dog rover or the shield pack. I've switched to eagle airstrikes because those can apparently kill anything (but I'm starting to think that's not correct and maybe want to try more eagles, cluster bombs is good but a bit weak against heavies), and I like the EMS mortar turret. On a base defense I take Railgun, Guard dog, the HMG Emplacement and the EMS mortar. I play L5 at the highest, I haven't tried l6 yet. In the first helldivers if I was with a good group we could do the l9 missions.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Use whatever you want that works

Difficulty 6+ have heavies, you can sort of ignore them on 6/7, 8/9 spawn enough where you have to thin the herd or you will get over run.

On bots, use cover. Shoot, use more cover. Run away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah build variety is the best. Doing a search and destroy might not sound like turret time, but they're extremely good distractions for when you're on the move or when you want to leave a nest without engaging a thousand little monsters. Having a CAS man is always good. Take what you want really and if you see a hole in a team like lack of trash clear change up your loadout to fill the niche.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redreader posted:

What's a really good end-game build?

What is the rest of your team bringing? What's the mission?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ban this sick leftist propeganda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

What the gently caress are these? Automaton ships?

Also, taking this screenshot froze the game and appeared to kick all 3 other squad members?