Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

What happens if you take it on Ante 1?

You go to Ante 0, where the blinds are 100/150/200 chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MJeff posted:

What happens if you take it on Ante 1?

DaveWoo posted:

You go to Ante 0, where the blinds are 100/150/200 chips.

Yep, I posted a pic showing this earlier in the thread.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you take it on ante 9, do you have to fight a second final boss, or is the ante 8 boss a regular boss?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Since end bosses also show up on Ante 16 (and other multiples of 8), I imagine one would show up agai

EDIT: oh wait, it doesn't change the boss. I don't think it would then.

But wait, what if you take it at ante 8 then

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Goddamn I'm gonna have to uninstall this game before I lose any more sleep

:tootzzz:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1762529197602275819?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you take it on ante 9, do you have to fight a second final boss, or is the ante 8 boss a regular boss?

You fight a second final boss.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I had an excellent flush run with Ancient Joker (xmult on variable suit), the one where it gives you +mult for flush (Droll Joker I think?), jupiter whenever possible plus jupiter in the consumables holster to add 1.5 mult every flush, and a few others. Was putting up 200k/300k each hand and then on Ante 7 ran into a boss blind that debuffed hearts when Ancient Joker chose hearts for the round. Balatro giveth and taketh away it seems.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

beefart posted:

I had an excellent flush run with Ancient Joker (xmult on variable suit), the one where it gives you +mult for flush (Droll Joker I think?), jupiter whenever possible plus jupiter in the consumables holster to add 1.5 mult every flush, and a few others. Was putting up 200k/300k each hand and then on Ante 7 ran into a boss blind that debuffed hearts when Ancient Joker chose hearts for the round. Balatro giveth and taketh away it seems.

I ran into a very similar situation with the Castle joker that adds chips to itself for every time you discard the variable suit. I also used a sigil spectral card. Guess what suit it landed on.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s going to depend on how many of the cards in your hand are left in your deck. You’ll want to keep whichever one you have the most of, or depending on hand size and what your deck looks like possibly the top two. Whether you have a chance at quads (or would even want them) matters too.

Fine, I'll calculate it, because it feels wrong to just keep one card. Sure, you have one more draw, but you only have 3 cards you want to hit.

Using this: https://cardgamecalculator.com

Say you draw AAAKQJT9 and want to draw a full house. How many cards besides the AAA do you want to keep?

Probability to pair if you keep X cards:

1: 25.40%
2: 36.30%
3: 37.10%
4: 27.27%

So you actually get the best odds if you keep 3 and only discard 2. Interesting.

This does ignore drawing a completely new pair. And getting the 4th ace.

The difference between 2 and 3 is rather close though, and because you're thinning the deck more, the odds go up slightly faster. These are the probabilities on the first and subsequent draws:

Keeping 2 cards:
36.30%
38.60%
41.20%
44.17%

Keeping 3 cards:
37.10%
38.68%
40.38%
42.25%

Still awfully close. Maybe it's best to keep 3 cards if you have 3 good ones, and 2 if you don't. Keeping 1 card or 4 if you really need that full house seems foolish.

(And obviously I'm still ignoring some stuff, and assuming an otherwise full deck.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Your math is clearly wrong, the probability to make a full house from a three of a kind is definitely less than 5%

EDIT: but only if you absolutely need the full house

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uXs posted:

Fine, I'll calculate it, because it feels wrong to just keep one card. Sure, you have one more draw, but you only have 3 cards you want to hit.

Using this: https://cardgamecalculator.com

Say you draw AAAKQJT9 and want to draw a full house. How many cards besides the AAA do you want to keep?

Probability to pair if you keep X cards:

1: 25.40%
2: 36.30%
3: 37.10%
4: 27.27%

So you actually get the best odds if you keep 3 and only discard 2. Interesting.

This does ignore drawing a completely new pair. And getting the 4th ace.

The difference between 2 and 3 is rather close though, and because you're thinning the deck more, the odds go up slightly faster. These are the probabilities on the first and subsequent draws:

Keeping 2 cards:
36.30%
38.60%
41.20%
44.17%

Keeping 3 cards:
37.10%
38.68%
40.38%
42.25%

Still awfully close. Maybe it's best to keep 3 cards if you have 3 good ones, and 2 if you don't. Keeping 1 card or 4 if you really need that full house seems foolish.

(And obviously I'm still ignoring some stuff, and assuming an otherwise full deck.)

This isn’t poker though. Except at the start of the game (and only on the first hand dealt even then), you probably don’t have a full deck. Most of the time you’re going to have to factor in how many of each card is left. If you’ve discarded or played 15 cards already you have a lot more information about the deck than you ever do in poker. Using that is very important as you climb up the antes and chip colors.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Currently trying to get past Blue Stake on a few decks and... just..

I did find out that :siren: holding R will restart your run :siren: which is a much quicker way of restarting a run rather than going through a menu

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Currently trying to get past Blue Stake on a few decks and... just..

just loving wait until purple

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Color Printer posted:

just loving wait until purple

I've done two reds.

Granted, I have been doing all the decks at once, instead of one at a time.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Holy gently caress I am sick of the Arm

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

MJeff posted:

My advice for getting a full house is to get two pairs in your hand, discard everything else, get three pairs in hand, use your last discard on everything else, get four pairs in hand, get frustrated, carefully examine your remaining cards in deck to determine the best odds you have to get a third copy of one of your cards in hand to show up, play a two pair for almost no points to make room in your hand, immediately draw a third copy of one of the pairs you got rid of and die.

You forgot the part where in your first discard you got rid of an open ended straight draw or a flush draw, which you had a much higher chance of hitting. Then all the rest of what you said.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

beefart posted:

The exact same thing just happened to me. There was a lot of cursing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

I did find out that :siren: holding R will restart your run :siren: which is a much quicker way of restarting a run rather than going through a menu

Holy poo poo, does this work on challenges too?

Edit: IT DOES :aaaaa:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

finally got purple stake with DOUBLE CANIO (got it up to 11x lmao)

now i have to do orange stake. god help me!!!!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's interesting to see how some jokers completely flounder outside of the limited area that was the demo. Consider the Fortune Teller and Vagabond combo. When the Vagabond was 4 dollars and with the demo's scaling, that was a really potent combo. Now, in the full game with all the options, it's really not great.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I got Madness on the first shop and thought I'd give it a try. I knew it wouldn't go far in endless, but figured it would be neat to see if I could win a game with it. Concentrated on enhancing as many cards and upgrading hands as possible.

Made it to the last ante and...

lol oh well

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

There's a Mega Buffoon pack right there in the skips. You can let Madness eat one, sell the other. What's your money situation?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lemon posted:

I got Madness on the first shop and thought I'd give it a try. I knew it wouldn't go far in endless, but figured it would be neat to see if I could win a game with it. Concentrated on enhancing as many cards and upgrading hands as possible.

lol oh well

isnt that a mega buffoon tag? Just skip twice and you'll have a joker to sell for the boss

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Lemon posted:

lol oh well

Yeah that's easy to solve, if you even need the cards themselves, a 12x madness is probably enough to just brute force 100k. Alternatively just pick up 2 jokers in the shop before the boss blind.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont think it is unless you have hella planets. 600 is a struggle with a naked deck and madness alone only brings that to 7200 (with the foil optimistically bumping that to 15k). Madness is kind of a joke unless you get really good blind skips or more realistically are black stake or higher.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a foil madness (shame it's not holo), level 3 flush that hits a multi card + bonus card + holo card + foil card (not unreasonable if you're investing in cards all game) gets you to around 50k. Gets awfully dicey but it's not impossible.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I kind of made it work a bit one time with the joker that gives 2 free ones per blind. At lower ante the multiplier is really good but yeah you need a backup plan later which is dumb because you could have just tried building something else imo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Fun fact with Four Fingers people may not know. You can turn any normal straight into a Straight Flush so long as 3 of the cards involved in the straight are the right suit. Simply add a card of the correct suit to a 5 card hand and even though say, Ace, 2, 3 of clubs and 4 of Hearts is not a flush, adding the 8 of clubs turns it into one.

Here is a visual demonstration

By the way this also works for Flush Houses and Flush Fives.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 27, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

Fun fact with Four Fingers people may not know. You can turn any normal straight into a Straight Flush so long as 3 of the cards involved in the straight are the right suit. Simply add a card of the correct suit to a 5 card hand and even though say, Ace, 2, 3 of clubs and 4 of Hearts is not a flush, adding the 8 of clubs turns it into one.

:aaa:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

the manacle can actually be an incredibly frustrating blind because it increases the odds of the RNG just flat out saying "no"

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i need to hook up something to my computer to give me a strong electric shock whenever i play less than five cards into the psychic

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
25 hours of attempts

25 hours

i loving did it with the checkered deck

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i'm up to Purple on the yellow deck

Mime is goddamn mvp

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Relyssa posted:

i need to hook up something to my computer to give me a strong electric shock whenever i play less than five cards into the psychic

No joke, I'm convinced the reason why the Psychic is bright yellow is so it's more easily distinguished from the other boss blinds.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Relyssa posted:

Same except when I accidentally only select four cards when playing a straight or flush build

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This isn’t poker though. Except at the start of the game (and only on the first hand dealt even then), you probably don’t have a full deck. Most of the time you’re going to have to factor in how many of each card is left. If you’ve discarded or played 15 cards already you have a lot more information about the deck than you ever do in poker. Using that is very important as you climb up the antes and chip colors.

Sure. It's still interesting that my gut feeling was basically correct.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i can't do this poo poo no more. missed one flush and my best gold stake run is over

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
This game loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uXs posted:

Sure. It's still interesting that my gut feeling was basically correct.

Leaving out the possibility of forming a pair throws it off though I think.

If you throw back all 5 non-aces, you’re now drawing from a deck of 44, with one A, three of 10-J, and 4 of everything else.

I don’t quite have the math chops to factor in how those missing face cards impact things, but your odds of getting a pair from that would be something around 1- 41/44 * 37/43 * 33/42 * 29/41 = 45%. It’s a bit lower because I’m giving the same odds to the face cards even though the rank has some missing, but there’s a substantial chance of pulling that pair from a full 5 draw. And a substantial chance from a 4 draw too of 37%.

Or I’ve screwed my math up which is totally possible.