Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i only ever saw cary elwes in men in tights as a kid and then the next thing i saw him in (that i recognized it as him) was in saw as a young adult and i was like "lol that's the funny robin hood guy he can't be in a serious movie!"

Knowing him mostly from Princess Bride I'd say it was equally weird seeing him in Saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my all-time favorite movies so that'll always be the second Elwes role I think of right after Princess Bride.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

No love for Kiss the Girls or the Crush?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My first two Elwes films were Robin Hood Men in Tights and Princess Bride so I thought he was mostly comedic. I never watched Saw because I don't like horror films. I think the next film I saw him in was The Pentagon Wars?

Well it was probably Twister, but I was young when I saw that so I didn't realize it was him.

I feel like Cary Elwes should be a bigger star than he actually is. :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mordiceius posted:

My first two Elwes films were Robin Hood Men in Tights and Princess Bride so I thought he was mostly comedic. I never watched Saw because I don't like horror films. I think the next film I saw him in was The Pentagon Wars?

Well it was probably Twister, but I was young when I saw that so I didn't realize it was him.

I feel like Cary Elwes should be a bigger star than he actually is. :(

Yeah, he should have been bigger in the 80s/90s, I don't know if his agent wasn't working hard enough or he wasn't interested in it, but it really feels like he should have been the main lead in a lot more movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess what happened with him is that he was judged to be almost too good looking. Like sure he could play a fictional storybook swashbuckling hero but he doesn't exactly have the face for more nuanced lead roles. At least that's what I'm guessing the perception was at the time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching a movie that turned out to have both Carrie Fisher and Robert Picardo in it. All the stars are here!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching a movie that turned out to have both Carrie Fisher and Robert Picardo in it. All the stars are here!

Oh poo poo, bone arms swords person is in this too!?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Most of my short films have little dialog. I love it. It’s way more fun

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Basebf555 posted:

I guess what happened with him is that he was judged to be almost too good looking. Like sure he could play a fictional storybook swashbuckling hero but he doesn't exactly have the face for more nuanced lead roles. At least that's what I'm guessing the perception was at the time.

Yeah it's like he was so firmly destined to be an Errol Flynn for the modern era, that nobody could picture casting him as anything else. And once you've done The Princess Bride and a Robin Hood parody what else is anyone going to make in the genre?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Carey Elwes should have a cowboy and a dope sick physician for buddies in every movie he makes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watched The Burbs. Pretty good! Great cast, strong performances across the board, especially from Tom Hanks and Corey Feldman. I think it was a little undercut by not having like a "big" revelation moment for what the neighbors were doing. But still a good time throughout.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's like he was so firmly destined to be an Errol Flynn for the modern era, that nobody could picture casting him as anything else. And once you've done The Princess Bride and a Robin Hood parody what else is anyone going to make in the genre?

Three Musketeers, Scarlet Pimpernel, Count of Monty Christo, Captain Blood, big budget remake of Paths of Glory

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Basebf555 posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my all-time favorite movies so that'll always be the second Elwes role I think of right after Princess Bride.

Possibly the greatest movie to watch while high

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Isn’t Scarlet Pimpernel a guy who runs around rescuing rich people from the mean old poors during the French Revolution

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Worse than that, he's english

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Worse than that, he's english

Yeah, the English had real problems with peasants rising up and killing aristocrats being a thing that could happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Criterion.com is doing a 50% off flash sale in case anyone reading this has too much money and/or poor impulse control.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Three Musketeers, Scarlet Pimpernel, Count of Monty Christo, Captain Blood, big budget remake of Paths of Glory

I woulda killed for young Elwes to be in a Captain Blood remake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelticPredator posted:

No one will save you was so dope.

It’s what the grey alien genre needed badly.

It's one of those horror movies I'm way too much of a baby to watch any time soon but I love the concept. Especially the ending.

The final girl is too much hassle to brainwash but gets along better with the brainwashed humans than she did before so the aliens just call truce and let her hang with them, that's just the right kind of entertainingly hosed up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Found Japanese F Murray Abraham in Hulu’s Shogun

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Air Skwirl posted:

Criterion.com is doing a 50% off flash sale in case anyone reading this has too much money and/or poor impulse control.

20 grand for the whole lot? I'd go into debt again for that

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Buying the entire catalogue to make a 1:1 recreation of the Criterion Closet. Then renting it out to people who want to pretend they got invited to the real Criterion Closet so they can post clips off it on social media.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Steve Yun posted:

Aburahamu F. Kaitojo

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FreudianSlippers posted:

Buying the entire catalogue to make a 1:1 recreation of the Criterion Closet. Then renting it out to people who want to pretend they got invited to the real Criterion Closet so they can post clips off it on social media.

Lmao

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Steve Yun posted:

Japanese Amadeus would be a great movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm watching Wait After Dark (on Tubi, where else, just finally saw the OG Papillon on there too) and wow young Alan Arkin is such a great creep. Did he have any other similar roles? Villainous or dramatic, did he do much other work in thrillers? Favorite Arkin roles that aren't comedic? He could've made for a Norman Bates tbh. I was just like wow this guy plays a great sleezeball.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's still pretty much comedic, but one of my favorite underappreciated Arkin roles is as Sigmund Freud teaming up with Nicol Williamson as Sherlock Holmes in The Seven Per Cent Solution. I haven't seen anything where he plays a complete psychopath on par with his role in Wait Until Dark though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I gotta check that out. I mean, Freud and Sherlock Holmes?!?! Thats so much cocaine!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762912106700034118

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That’s maybe the only possible casting choice that doesn’t make me immediately reject the entire concept

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is he just going to play the version of himself from Extras?

Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 28, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://imgur.com/gallery/BbaX0QU
Imgur isn't working with the Awful app for me.

Got into a film festival in Boston in march.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I gotta check that out. I mean, Freud and Sherlock Holmes?!?! Thats so much cocaine!

Yeah, that's an immediate "how have I not seen this?" concept reaction.

FreudianSlippers posted:

:toot:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

🙌

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Awesome dude.

Here's the photo so people don't have to click through

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
do it seth macfarlane, have the balls to make it a shot-for-shot remake à la van sant's psycho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just noticed it's being directed by one of the Lonely Island guys, so maybe it's got potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Honestly Neeson is the perfect choice

He's pretty good at deadpan and has some comedy experience but isn't known as a Comedy Actor.

This might be somewhat decent.