Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryujinx is better than Yuzu anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I do wonder how much of this is bolstered by nearly everyone posting screenshots of Nintendo games running on their Steamdecks on their launch days. I have to assume that's been eating at them big time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Valve released an official SteamDeck trailer showing Yuzu installed so yeah I’d say it’s probably on their radar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Youtubers have also gotten more and more brazen about it, when Linus Techtips is posting videos about it that puts it in a mainstream world that emulation usually doesn't get to. The Mac gaming (stop laughing) Youtuber Andrew Tsai's video about playing Crisis Core Remastered on Mac straight up showed him downloading the game off a pirate site and playing it in Yuzu. There are big verified Youtubers who were posting videos about PS5 hacks a few weeks back. Hell remember when Kotaku wrote a guide article on it the week Metroid Dread came out? A whole lot of people got pretty drunk on faux fight the power poo poo because they can't play literally every game ever made on their $3k gamer rig.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

people got pretty drunk on faux fight the power poo poo because they can't play literally every game ever made on their $3k gamer rig.

I think people just like playing games for free on the computer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PLaying games for free is pretty freaking epic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Epic gives a game away for free every week, actually.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yuzu as an emulator project doesnt seem to strive for accuracy and full library compatibility so it can burn for all care

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why should youtubers cry and beg forgiveness for talking about emulating switch games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They literally can’t give poo poo away.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is why it is known as the "Epic" games store.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Epic Fail store lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Epic Fail store lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tim Weenie

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Valve has had too much power for too long. Its time for gamers to rise up and make an EPIC last stand ;)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Epic Fail store lol

But enough about the online storefront for your posts!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

why should youtubers cry and beg forgiveness for talking about emulating switch games

For impugning the dignity of Miyamoto

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol classic

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Endorph posted:

Likes and subscribes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

Youtubers have also gotten more and more brazen about it, when Linus Techtips is posting videos about it that puts it in a mainstream world that emulation usually doesn't get to. The Mac gaming (stop laughing) Youtuber Andrew Tsai's video about playing Crisis Core Remastered on Mac straight up showed him downloading the game off a pirate site and playing it in Yuzu. There are big verified Youtubers who were posting videos about PS5 hacks a few weeks back. Hell remember when Kotaku wrote a guide article on it the week Metroid Dread came out? A whole lot of people got pretty drunk on faux fight the power poo poo because they can't play literally every game ever made on their $3k gamer rig.
drat can't believe Yuzu made them post all those videos

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

prepping my ftw lawsuit against Plex because someone posted a youtube video once about adding your own media to it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Checking their Patreon, what you get for $5 is early access to daily emulator releases, eg feature and compatibility fixes. Ah higher tier you get priority tech support on their discord, eg telling you how to get certain stuff running on your system.

So when you consider them doing daily compatibility releases to make a certain game run good before that game has come out, and having people pay for those updates, that seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Additionally yeah digital copies of a game are encrypted to a specific account, that's an agreement you've made when you buy a digital switch game. So if they are bypassing encryption to let that run anywhere, they are probably in trouble for that too.

I think they're hosed.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thank god

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Seems bad, I don't like Nintendo going after emulator makers - emulation has always existed in a safe enough grey area. Though I've never used this one and would have no intention of pirating Switch games - I'm unclear what encryption bypassing the emulator itself is doing (I would have expected that that would be done by some separate, more illegal tool, that's normally how these sorts of things separate things, right?)

If they were actively trying to profit then I think this was always going to happen and it's hard to feel too bad for them but I do think it's a bad sign and that emulation is a good thing in general.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don’t worry emulators for defunct consoles will always exist.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yuzu was doomed the moment they started taking cash to support their development.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bleem was ruled legal and sold in stores, it just got killed via legal funds and retail shenanigans

making money off an emulator is not illegal

this mostly comes down to DMCA and encryption related stuff

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Nintendo's lawsuit is very, very clearly trying to have emulation ruled illegal. Also modding consoles and making backups.

Nintendo posted:

A video game emulator is a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games that were published only for a specific console on a general-purpose computing device.

Nintendo posted:

Yuzu unlawfully circumvents the technological measures on Nintendo Switch games and allows for the play of encrypted Nintendo Switch games on devices other than a Nintendo Switch. Yuzu does this by executing code necessary to defeat Nintendo’s many technological measures associated with its games, including code that decrypts the Nintendo Switch video game files immediately before and during runtime using an illegally-obtained copy of prod.keys (that ordinarily are secured on the Nintendo Switch). Users obtain the prod.keys either through unlawful websites or by unlawfully hacking a Nintendo Switch console.

Nintendo posted:

In effect, Yuzu turns general computing devices into tools for massive intellectual property infringement of Nintendo and others’ copyrighted works.

Nintendo posted:

Yuzu circumvents Nintendo’s technological measures on its games; thus, Defendant’s development and distribution of Yuzu constitutes unlawful trafficking in software primarily designed to circumvent technological measures, and the confirmed use of the emulator by Bunnei and other Yuzu developers as Defendant’s agents to decrypt and play Nintendo games constitutes unlawful circumvention.

Nintendo posted:

To get any game off a Nintendo Switch console and into the Yuzu environment to be played, therefore, Bunnei and other of Defendant’s agents must: (1) obtain the Nintendo Switch’s cryptographic keys (the prod.keys) from a hacked console, which violates Nintendo’s rights under the DMCA; and (2) make at least one unauthorized copy of a Nintendo Switch game, which, when the copied game is Nintendo’s, violates Plaintiff’s right of reproduction under the Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. §§ 106, 501

quote:

Infringing copies of the game that circulated online were able to be played in Yuzu, and those copies were successfully downloaded from pirate websites over one million times before the game was published and made available for lawful purchase by Nintendo. Many of the pirate websites specifically noted the ability to play the game file in Yuzu. Defendant’s development and distribution of Yuzu to the public materially contributes to and induces those third parties to infringe the copyrights in Nintendo’s games. Defendant is thus secondarily liable for the infringement committed by the users to whom it distributes Yuzu.
If Nintendo wins there will be no other emulators, at least not any in the US. I assume they'd go after everyone else, too, obviously.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Checking their Patreon, what you get for $5 is early access to daily emulator releases, eg feature and compatibility fixes. Ah higher tier you get priority tech support on their discord, eg telling you how to get certain stuff running on your system.

So when you consider them doing daily compatibility releases to make a certain game run good before that game has come out, and having people pay for those updates, that seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Additionally yeah digital copies of a game are encrypted to a specific account, that's an agreement you've made when you buy a digital switch game. So if they are bypassing encryption to let that run anywhere, they are probably in trouble for that too.

I think they're hosed.

they deliberately don't merge in fixes for unreleased games, whether you pay them or not. the whole week+ between when totk was dumped and when it was released officially was full of people on the piracy subreddits trying to come up with game patches that'd fix stuff because none of that was going to be fixed by the emulator team

lines posted:

Seems bad, I don't like Nintendo going after emulator makers - emulation has always existed in a safe enough grey area. Though I've never used this one and would have no intention of pirating Switch games - I'm unclear what encryption bypassing the emulator itself is doing (I would have expected that that would be done by some separate, more illegal tool, that's normally how these sorts of things separate things, right?)

it depends on the console etc but basically the encryption is often left as-is. i think 3ds games can come either way but like wii discs are just dumped as they are and switch games are generally distributed encrypted. i assume it has to do with how the system works and how that has to be emulated

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Malloc Voidstar posted:

If Nintendo wins there will be no other emulators, at least not any in the US. I assume they'd go after everyone else, too, obviously.

Lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo coming for your illegal commodore 64 rom stash

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

getting arrested for smuggling Raspberry Pis from across the border

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Nintendo is planning to break into all the houses in Whoville in order to steal Christmas.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They’ll just release an emulator to emulate banned emulators.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

nintendo can choke on a fat chode

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
open up its the video game police

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Goon legal experts ftw!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
well well well, what do we have here? controllers down, gamertags out fellas, this is a bust :cop:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

open up its the video game police

I hear they’re playing project M and streaming it 2 doors down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The 7th Guest posted:

bleem was ruled legal and sold in stores, it just got killed via legal funds and retail shenanigans

making money off an emulator is not illegal

this mostly comes down to DMCA and encryption related stuff

I'm betting this is probably the reason why older emulators like ePSXe and stuff were like "don't ever ask us anything about how to actually obtain bios" and just let that poo poo float on the internet for other people to be smaller targets

yuzu probably wouldn't even be in this situation if it didn't even touch the encryption/decryption stuff with a 10-foot poll and leave that to people handling the actual roms and poo poo to deal with