Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cat botherer posted:

If Sound Transit's park-and-ride costs per passenger car spot are anything to go by, these will cost probably close to $1m a pop.
do people use park-and-rides anymore? in the 90s, caltrans made a pretty big push with park and ride spots all over that seemed liked they were being somewhat used in the 90s and naughty aughtys, but most seem to be empty or dead these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

do people use park-and-rides anymore?

lmfao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We have half the bus routes here we had in 2000. No buses, no park and rides, bing bong

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People use park and rides if you reduce parking in the city center so that they have no other choice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xaris posted:

do people use park-and-rides anymore? in the 90s, caltrans made a pretty big push with park and ride spots all over that seemed liked they were being somewhat used in the 90s and naughty aughtys, but most seem to be empty or dead these days.

Park and rides are like the second worst use for the land around a transit station other than just empty fields. The area around it should be getting upzoned for high density mixed use so that the stops can be little urban centers connected by the rail, BRT, whatever rather than just an enormous parking lot to make living in distant car-focused suburbia more appealing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xaris posted:

They fill to the brim here by like 7am.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
park-and-rides a good place for u kno what

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
They closed one of the park and rides in town because a homeless person camped in it.

Like literally made an excuse of resurfacing in order to legally clear them out, did the cheapest "paint it with tar" resurfacing, and then blocked the entrance with concrete blocks and it's been closed for over a year

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME park and rides provide valuable real estate for teenagers to congregate in and misbehave.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

glad Pacific Drive exists so I can do more of my favorite activity, sitting down and driving

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Good start but the defensive capabilities are focused on the frontal arc and provide limited protection for the flanks and rear. I suggest a setup like WWI tanks with a fixed chainsaw pointing in every direction. Alternatively if you have a tandem bicycle you can have a second crewman operate a turret mounted chainsaw.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

based tbh, this safety restraint helps protect the whole world by instantly killing drivers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

glad Pacific Drive exists so I can do more of my favorite activity, sitting down and driving

driving cars would be a lot healthier for people and the world if it could only ever be done virtually

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Commute simulator 2025, when you're working from home but miss being stuck in traffic

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/WBardenwerper/status/1761841424297844770

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
JFC even Mr Burns felt bad about hitting Bart lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BonHair posted:

Commute simulator 2025, when you're working from home but miss being stuck in traffic

during the development of grand theft auto iv they had the idea to have actual realistic traffic patterns based on new york. but it turned out that making a stuck in traffic simulator was not fun at all so they dramatically reduced the number of cars on the road lol.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/weirddalle/status/1762386082254270476

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

during the development of grand theft auto iv they had the idea to have actual realistic traffic patterns based on new york. but it turned out that making a stuck in traffic simulator was not fun at all so they dramatically reduced the number of cars on the road lol.

Lmao. But also that should probably be an unlockable mode or something

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

pretty much every city simulator just makes cars disappear after they reach their destination, because nobody - not even the sickos who slavisly reimplement the world's worst freeway interchanges - wants to build and look at a city with a realistic amount of parking

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

pretty much every city simulator just makes cars disappear after they reach their destination, because nobody - not even the sickos who slavisly reimplement the world's worst freeway interchanges - wants to build and look at a city with a realistic amount of parking

I believe Cities Skylines 2 actually does have persistent cars that require parking, though it only calculates/renders a % of the overall trips for performance reasons.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
even if you did it in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible it would involve excavating and installing multiple stories of underground garage beneath each building

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Clark Nova posted:

this is still why Workers & Resources is the best city simulator, absolutely bar none

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GTA where you had to get out, do cartop parkour across a traffic jam and then steal another car might be a better, more dynamic game, actually

Nitrousoxide posted:

I believe Cities Skylines 2 actually does have persistent cars that require parking, though it only calculates/renders a % of the overall trips for performance reasons.

lol the game renders every tooth in the city but not every parked car

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Park and rides are like the second worst use for the land around a transit station other than just empty fields. The area around it should be getting upzoned for high density mixed use so that the stops can be little urban centers connected by the rail, BRT, whatever rather than just an enormous parking lot to make living in distant car-focused suburbia more appealing.

This is true, however a lot of transit stations are right next to freeways, which is a bad place for people to live. It's a poo poo situation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BonHair posted:

Lmao. But also that should probably be an unlockable mode or something

for real, I wonder if there's mods out there that increase traffic density. I'm one of those weirdos that likes to chill out and drive while following traffic laws playing GTA so this sounds right up my alley.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Professor Beetus posted:

for real, I wonder if there's mods out there that increase traffic density. I'm one of those weirdos that likes to chill out and drive while following traffic laws playing GTA so this sounds right up my alley.

people have modded regular old cars into euro truck simulator. there are probably mods to increase traffic density as well.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Professor Beetus posted:

i knew it, i knew i wasn't the only one

Microplastics posted:

Speaking of GTA, back when I played GTA V i used to like driving around to my missions sensibly and it absolutely wound me the gently caress up when one of the AI cars suddenly changed lanes without signalling and bumped into mine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s an unofficial game mode that people play in GTA Online where one player tries to blend in with NPCs and everyone else tries to find them and run them off the road.

If you turn off the relevant UI elements like the minimap and the markers over players, this works well enough. One of the things that commonly gives away the lone player is that NPC drivers do not understand the concept of players following the rules of the road. They won’t wait behind you like they would for an NPC. They’ll try to occupy the same space sometimes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What I love about that is that cops will aggro realistically, so if someone tries to go around you and hits a cop car, the police will ram them off the road and open fire. Even if you're not causing it, you'll still see plenty of chaos in the game, and tbh it's far funnier that way.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
man keep your phone in your pocket, watch the light turn green, and you’re the fukkin’ kwizatz haderach compared to everyone else on the gd road

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Strangelet Wave posted:

man keep your phone in your pocket, watch the light turn green, and you’re the fukkin’ kwizatz haderach compared to everyone else on the gd road

rofl it's incredible how you can instantly be top 1% driver by just not looking at your phone

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

This is true, however a lot of transit stations are right next to freeways, which is a bad place for people to live. It's a poo poo situation.

Okay, you're right. Park and Rides are the 3rd worst land use around transit stops, after literal freeways and empty fields.

Freeways at least have a justification of easy and uncontested right-of-way to build the transit line for their miserable land use surrounding it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Strangelet Wave posted:

the desperation of a passenger to a distracted driver

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It might be a hot take but I think parents should be more responsible for their small children around traffic. These people seem to need to learn a lesson somehow as evidenced by their eight year old with a history of running into traffic riding a bike around the neighborhood in the dusk unsupervised. Now in a healthy society that would just be their neighbours like this hack talking to them about it but seems like he is just supporting them in their attempt to get their kid run over again, so it seems to me that this is the American way of going about it. Brookline seems to be a pretty well off neighborhood with low housing costs so his cries of potential financial hardship are almost certainly crocodile tears.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Brookline is a loving nightmare because the main drag through the neighborhood’s business district is a four lane road where people do 35+ routinely. It’s a walkable street where you absolutely should feel fine with letting your kids do their thing but the city widened the road and now everyone drives like a maniac there

Also Brookline is absolutely not well off

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Feb 28, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just reviewed a geotech report for a retractable bollard installation.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/komakuga/status/1762105746643112441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

withak posted:

Just reviewed a geotech report for a retractable bollard installation.

All hail the bollard, the only guaranteed way to stop a car.