Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

no one wants to war anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

when are they going to stop saying "near peer" when describing armies with superior capabilities

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

poisonpill posted:

when are they going to stop saying "near peer" when describing armies with superior capabilities

They'll just change it on the sly so "near peer" refers to the US

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Our cyber space info link fully networked military also we're dumping the field server stacks as ye olde HQ isn't survivable in the current age.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Our cyber space info link fully networked military also we're dumping the field server stacks as ye olde HQ isn't survivable in the current age.

They're just going to put the army apps on the cloud now that private industry has shown that it's feasible. I'm sure the field hq's will have no problem maintaining an always on internet connection. Gotta have powerpoint you know.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

loving brain trust is in charge eh?

- See a war where 90% casualties are caused by crew served weapons.

- Eliminate battalion weapons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the Western news rarely talks about it but a ton of causalities on the Ukrainian side across the war are just constant mortar fire. Also, I don't know why you would have to reduce your access to ATGMs and crew served weapons considering how this war has gone on.

I guess the elimination of a cavalry squadron makes sense but seems like you would replace it with other heavy equipment.

Otherwise, in a IBCT, the only portion that is doing heavy lifting is just going to be the artillery/fires battalion.

It is like a reserve Russian BTG, instead of a thin line of infantry around supporting artillery, you have 3 infantry battalions to protect a single field artillery battalion.

(Also, even a Soviet regiment not only had a artillery battalion but its own anti-air battalion as well).

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Mortars might be incredibly effective, but have you considered that it's hard to make a grift out of a tube with a spring?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Weapons companies were created in like 1917-18 as the art of attack on the western front was worked out. Cut to - we're seeing a firepower heavy war, with dug in positions, where the infantry need firepower to push positions... and at this moment... lol we're eliminating them.

I don't even know what to say, you know?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Its weird, on one part they are saying that they are removing elements that were used during COIN operations and specifically mentions drawing down brigade combat infantry teams in favor of formations for larger scale conflicts. This correlates with what the war college had proposed, eliminating these things in favor of divisions. But then they say they are reducing the weapons companies to platoons.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Feb 28, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Weapons companies were created in like 1917-18, we're seeing a firepower heavy war, with dug in positions, where the infantry need firepower to push positions... and at this moment... lol we're eliminating them.

a war thats fought to a stalemate is way more profitable than one in which either side could advance

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its weird, on one part they are saying that they are removing elements that were used during COIN operations and specifically mentions drawing down brigade combat infantry teams in favor of formations for larger scale conflicts. But then they say they are reducing the weapons companies to platoons.

It's loving insane, because yes, in the GWOT the infantry battalions left the weapons on the FOB and used the manpower from the weapons co as a fourth company, or to patrol or fill in for people, but now that we see a conventional war where we would need GPMGs, ATGMs and mortars... lol it's so backwards.

It can't be that they're running out of infantry weapons, right? Because those should be the easiest to manufacture, and I would imagine there are war stores of M240s and leftover M60s to last until the end of time.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

They are gonna need the solider to do riot control back at home, so no heavy weapons on civilians for now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can only imagine that the US plans to raise up drone operator companies or something equally stupid.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
us military to reclassify all soldiers as 1099 contractors

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I can only imagine that the US plans to raise up drone operator companies or something equally stupid.

You could just have that as a section within the weapons company and retain the (actually useful) other weapons.

Honestly, our infantry effectiveness dropped like a rock when we got rid of the Big Battalions when 4 CMBG came home. I know the Americans never had that structure, but it's pretty clear to me that having large infantry formations with lots of weapons is self-evidently smarter than not, especially if - this will be hard to imagine - you can't count on replacement weapons and personnel arriving immediately after reporting your losses. You may actually have to operate in a combat zone with casualties.

Also, if I can loop back - On the one hand, they want to break up the CPs. On the other hand, they want to strip away weapons at the level of formation that can still be controlled by one officer and his staff on foot. How does that make sense? If you're worried about an EW environment and everything else, you want as many weapons as possible in the hands of the battalion commander, because Bde will no longer be an easy radio call away.

"Requesting support will be harder"
"Remove organic support"
???

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Feb 28, 2024

Morbus
May 18, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

Mortars might be incredibly effective, but have you considered that it's hard to make a grift out of a tube with a spring?

Don't worry, grift is In Everything We Do(tm)

https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/mortars-and-mortar-components/81mm-rcgm/

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am not sure it is current but also the fires battalion in an IBCT includes 2 105mm batteries and 1 155mm battery. I think an artillery battalion in a Russian BTG would have at least 2 152mm batteries, and it is a much smaller formation (600-800 troops versus 4400 in a IBCT).

I guess the big issue is just manpower, and while they could cut the cavalry squadron, they couldn't cut infantry/artillery/engineering/support, so the weapons companies had to go, which clearly reduces the entire usefulness of the formation.

Drones aren't bad, right?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

We're going to get rocked so hard it's not even funny.

The last conventional exercise I paid close attention to, US troops weren't camouflaging their positions at all, didn't dig fighting positions, let alone dig weapons emplacements and absolutely no effort was made to dig in vehicles. Their positions could be seen from a great distance from the air and ground because there was garbage strewn around, and a forest of radio masts.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It can't be that they're running out of infantry weapons, right? Because those should be the easiest to manufacture, and I would imagine there are war stores of M240s and leftover M60s to last until the end of time.

"It can't be that they're running out of 155mm shells, right? Because those should be the easiest to manufacture"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

30% reduction in logistic drag due to fewer rounds needed to complete mission

[screaming internally]

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

[screaming internally]

Lol

quote:

75% RCGM components in production and combat proven

The other 25% components probably aren't even that important

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lol learned nothing from ukraine or gaza

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mandel Brotset posted:

They learned that there are no consequences for failure (tactical or strategic), no consequences for grifting so hard the military collapses, and no consequences for committing crimes against humanity.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

They learned that there are no consequences for failure (tactical or strategic), no consequences for grifting so hard the military collapses, and no consequences for committing crimes against humanity.

There are only consequences for trying to make anything better.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

[screaming internally]

Me, very neoliberally: "the second picture. that is the better one"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

There are only consequences for trying to make anything better.

better not then, just to be safe

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morbus posted:

Absolutely that's 18 x a few hundred dollars versus 2x $250k. A much more profitable quarter.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Morbus posted:

It’s not the bullet with my name on it that worries me, it’s the ones labeled “To whomever it may concern”

Let’s buy only shells with names on them for our entire military.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Why spend a couple grand on mortar rounds when you could spend tens of millions of dollars on F-35 flight hours and guided ordinance instead.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

poisonpill posted:

It's near peer, but not in they way they think

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There’s an interesting talk with Tom Ricks who has a lot of garbage takes (I think especially his infatuation with Petreaus) but iirc the gist of it is that in WW2 the US army frequently promoted and demoted officers based on competence, their particular strengths and weaknesses to the situation, and their actual performance and that failure and losing a command wasn't necessarily a career killer either. Nowadays almost every single field and general grade will finish their tour and misconduct is pretty much the only thing that officers actually get punished for. You’re more or less “owed” commands and will with time get promoted upward if you just stay in and color in the lines. Trying to reform things if anything is a significant risk to your career with no benefit once you get into field grade and above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OehvY94N-WA

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Absolutely that's 18 x a few hundred dollars versus 2x $250k. A much more profitable quarter.

Even the craters left by munitions that didnt hit their target are proving to be effective in the war as ukraine runs more leopards into ditches and general mud claims victims.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

If you say that Ukraine hasn’t dominated every level of the conflict with superior western weapons and tactics, how do you think your career in the western empire is going to go. And since western weapons and tactics are dominant, everyone agrees - time to accelerate transitioning to the winning army Raytheon has designed.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The US will lose WW3

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They criticized the Ukrainian military for relying too heavily on drones and not using enough ground reconnaissance then decide to get rid of cavalry squadrons and double down on drones, so which is it?

(Small tactical drones are 100% the future but lol if the army ever adopts anything that isn't on par with something like a mavic but inexplicably costing 10x more to the point where they only procure a few hundred when they're churning through hundreds of thousands in Ukraine)

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Feb 28, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Justin Tyme posted:

They criticized the Ukrainian military for relying too heavily on drones and not using enough ground reconnaissance then decide to get rid of cavalry squadrons and double down on drones, so which is it?

(Drones are 100% the future but lol of the army ever adopts anything that isn't on par with something like a mavic but inexplicably costing 10x more to the point where they only procure a few hundred when they're churning through hundreds of thousands in Ukraine)

Conscripts are cheap and drones are expensive buddy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't issue you a drone. Regulations say I need to have drones in stock at all times and that's the last one. Also I can't expedite a request for more drones unless we run out so we just have to wait for routine resupply, hopefully next financial year, once we complete the tender process and negotiate a contract.

Just take a pair of binoculars and have a look yourself. Oh yeah I'll need you to sign for those.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not meaning to derail the thread but I missed it, why has FF disappeared only to be mysteriously replaced by “Guy N’cognito”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

Not meaning to derail the thread but I missed it, why has FF disappeared only to be mysteriously replaced by “Guy N’cognito”?

Never heard of this FF you mention. Nobody here knows that name.

(pulls down counter shutter, flips sign to "closed")