Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Huh, a new game just game out that I didn't notice. Terminator: Dark Fate Defiance.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1839950/Terminator_Dark_Fate__Defiance/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Fatrick posted:

I was 100% onboard with this till officer Full-beard tried to put on a gas mask. 0/10 historical accuracy. Trash film.

(This is a pro click, up there with Batman: Dead End)
That's actually great and funny because he looks incredibly like a womble.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Warbadger posted:

They built a xenomorph top security future prison where they torture xenomorphs and never even considered one might ever get a paper cut.

In this theoretical movie sequel that does not exist.

Let's not forget that in this movie the aliens are able to straight up spit acid. It's a very poorly thought out alien prison.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ok, here's the pitch: Sonic weapons. Both in terms of "fences" or "shields", and booby traps, and offensive weapons.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I like how in Earth Hive, the government has a queen imprisoned, chained up in an old NORAD bunker somewhere under the Cheyenne mountains.

But then a bunch of lunatics find out about it, attack the base, burst into her chamber and stick their heads over her eggs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fatrick posted:

I was 100% onboard with this till officer Full-beard tried to put on a gas mask. 0/10 historical accuracy. Trash film.

(This is a pro click, up there with Batman: Dead End)

Big :same: to both points. The beard/mask thing is less forgivable after Covid, but eh.

Totally worth the half hour to watch. At some point you're going to click a director's IMDB credits, and this will be sitting down at the bottom.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From the PYF Funny Pictures Thread:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

From the PYF Funny Pictures Thread:

Does she really think she can get a dangerous organism like that through ICC quarantine?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Want some better pics of my USMC armor? 'course you do!

For gently caress's sake someone make me stop trying to build new pulse rifles. :argh:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay okay here’s a comic book crossover pitch. Stick with me on this one.

Predator vs Terminator

It follows from the first two movies as a sort of alternate timeline thing, in two halves. The first half is set in 1984 - the Terminator is tracking Sarah Connor, but a Predator has come to Los Angeles to hunt. He spots the commotion at Tech Noir and his interest is piqued, so he fires a spear at the Terminator… to no effect. This puzzles the Predator, as does its weird thermal signature, so he starts actively hunting it. Confused as to how it keeps shrugging off what should be lethal damage for a human and can seemingly see right through its traps and camouflage, the Predator continues its pursuit. The Terminator, being increasingly sidetracked by the Predator’s attacks, re-prioritizes the Predator as a threat to its mission, and actively engages him - it turns into a knock-down drag-out brawl, but the Predator comes out on top. Satisfied, he claims the Terminator’s endoskull, and leaves.

Part two takes place years later, when the Predator returns to earth for another hunt.
In 2028, in fact. As in, post Judgment Day.
The Predator is a little confused as to what Earth is a nuclear hellscape, but doesn’t get much time to think about it as Skynet detects his ship and shoots it down, leaving the Predator stranded in the ruins of LA. Now being beset on all sides by murderous robots and hostile Resistance fighters, the Predator has to use every trick up his sleeve to stay one step ahead of his pursuers and find a way off the planet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering that a pipe bomb could blow a Terminator clean in half I'm pretty sure a Predator could just shoot it with its big rear end laser gun and be done.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Considering that a pipe bomb could blow a Terminator clean in half I'm pretty sure a Predator could just shoot it with its big rear end laser gun and be done.

Yeah I thought of that, and I was planning on taking that off the table in the first part through some kind of plot contrivance, but leaving it in the second part so he can blast endoskeketons like crazy for a bit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Predator: Here we go again

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

the predator might have more difficulty with a T-1000. particularly the trophy taking.

"Hey Cunning Eye, how come your trophy wall has an ampule of mercury along with all the rad skulls?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Why can’t they have regular names like Tobias?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

quote:

Predator vs. Mister Bean

The Predator becomes more and more exasperated at being unable to kill Mister Bean, who does not even know he's being hunted the entire time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another stolen joke that you yanks might see become a reality sooner than later:

quote:

Illegal Alien vs. Predator Drone

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

edogawa rando posted:

Why can’t they have regular names like Tobias?

i was translating the name literally from the yuat'ja. tobias actually means "prey seeker" in predator language

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Predator hunting code demands that the prey expresses some variety of martial prowess, so there needs to be a 30-minute prologue where Mr. Bean accidentally runs-down an entire company of South American guerillas in his 1970's Leyland mini.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We could workshop Alien vs. Redditor, I think it's got a lot of potential for catharsis.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
PREDATOR: It's my specialty

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Another stolen joke that you yanks might see become a reality sooner than later:

That already happens in Terminator: Dark Fate

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I think this is in the last terminator movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Laundry day, nothing clean, right?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If anyone wants to check out Dune, there's an unabridged audiobook on YouTube narrated by George Guidall that is top tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2utqQ-mG8

His Baron Harkonnen is just :discourse:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I love the mullet on the space marine helmet. Gives it a certain je ne sais quoi.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I ran across this Alien behind the scenes playlist by CinemaTyler on Youtube that is excellent. He definitely did his research. I even learned a new thing or two from it. Tempted to get his Patreon to see the other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGciYgiR4atF_ovvv0e0Qtd5H4lVpUzsd

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Marvel is doing a mini What IF for Aliens.

What is an “What If…?” you ask? It was a long running Marvel comic series that told stories where instead of a story going the way it actually did, events went a different path. Usually with a darker outcome. Characters actually died! Earth ended up destroyed. In one Loki destroyed all of reality and was left going utterly insane since he was the only thing to still exist. Stuff like that. Was a good one where Charles Xavier became the Juggernaut.

In this case the Aliens What If takes the question, What if Carter Burke Lived? It’s also co-written by the man himself, Paul Reiser! According to the cover, he’s only credited with concept along with three others, one of which I guess is his son on the actual credits page inside.

The issue goes the same way Aliens unfolds until Burke runs off, he’s not killed by the Alien but taken to be cocooned like everyone else. No Ripley doesn’t find and give him a grenade either. When Gorman triggers his explosive in the vents it causes multiple explosions including to where Burke is held, the explosion fries the facehugger before it can get out of its egg and Burke is free!

He manages to make it to the deck where Ripley is waiting for pick up by Bishop and is able to sneak aboard the vehicle, then runs and hides on the Sulaco once the fight with the Queen starts, later he finds out everyone is in cryo. Being the shirt he is he calls in to tell what happened. He pisses off the boss once he spills the fact Hadley’s Hope went nuclear. The Yutani he’s talking to, first name Mishan ask if he is impregnated and is disappointed when told no, they could have gotten something out of it if he was! Burke ain’t happy. He’s less happy when he’s told the retrieval ship that was on it’s way is now no longer needed, bye Burke!

Except Burke points out they found Ripley after the Nostromo incident, what’s the odds history repeats? That’s a risk the company can’t take, so Burke is told to get rid of them. Burke got a 158 families and various marines killed in the name of profit, but shoot someone? He’s not that kind of guy. Until he is! He gets a life time contract, retirement benefits and oh yeah dental cause his little girl is going to need braces one day, awwwwwwwww.

He still can’t kill them himself. He triggers the fire alarm which jettisons Ripley and co into an evac to land at a passing planet. He knows there she has a fighting chance. Maybe she’ll even be able to kill the company! The planet? Oh, hmmm, some little planet of no great importance, let’s see…..ah, Fiorina “Fury” 161. They’ll be fine.

35 years later

Burke has a Stranger Things look going on.

He wakes up in pain due to sleeping on a lovely mattress, his water takes five minutes to heat up, his tie has jelly stains and he has to watch what kind of coffee he drinks due to a sensitive stomach. He also rides a basic old school bike to work, and has a stupid looking helmet. Later he tries to grab lunch with his daughter now grown up, yeah she doesn’t want anything to do with him. Later while eating the sky glitches. Turns out it’s a holo-dome and it’s on the fritz, so he calls in to support. The support is less than impressed at the location, it’s a dead asteroid at the rear end end of the universe. He’s in charge of mining there, trimonite the hardest known substance!

The support gets less supportive when he gives his name. Turns out his reputation is poo poo. According to the supports father, Burke is “humankind’s most reviled Judas. Next to Judas.” Turns out his whole plan to smuggle an alien egg back to Earth is known far and wide and he’s hated for it. Burke got his contract, he also got scapegoated for everything on LV-426 with all the deaths pinned on him. It’ll be eight months to a year to get the holo-dome fixed, have a nice day! So yeah, humanity as a whole found out about Aliens at some point.

But it doesn’t end there, oh no. Burke see’s something in the stars, a ship is coming and aboard is a synth called Cygnus. 20 years ago, Burke gave him a directive, now he’s accomplished it and brought the prize to him. You bet your rear end it’s an Alien Egg. Carter Burke is back in business baby!

End issue one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Well that sounded dumb as poo poo but the ending was quite decent. I'd like to hear more synopses from you if you're interested in continuing this.

I did always think it was weird how the theatrical cut seemed to imply Burke just got headshotted and not - more logically - taken and cocooned like the defenseless moron he is. I get how the deleted scene would have cheapened things in the final showdown, though.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Mister Speaker posted:

Well that sounded dumb as poo poo but the ending was quite decent. I'd like to hear more synopses from you if you're interested in continuing this.

I did always think it was weird how the theatrical cut seemed to imply Burke just got headshotted and not - more logically - taken and cocooned like the defenseless moron he is. I get how the deleted scene would have cheapened things in the final showdown, though.

To be fair, he got the same onscreen treatment as Apone and Dietrich, who also got hauled away and cocooned.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mister Speaker posted:

The deleted scenes in both Alien and Aliens with the cocooning process would have majorly interrupted the tension of the ending more than anything.

That’s one thing that always bothered me. They show the jaw shoot out, but as far as i can remember they only ever showed Parker with his skull caved in. I wonder if they can use that to “lobotomize” the host, but then again they’d probably bleed out. :iiam:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

The deleted scenes in both Alien and Aliens with the cocooning process would have majorly interrupted the tension of the ending more than anything.

That’s one thing that always bothered me. They show the jaw shoot out, but as far as i can remember they only ever showed Parker with his skull caved in. I wonder if they can use that to “lobotomize” the host, but then again they’d probably bleed out. :iiam:

I think you're thinking of Brett. Parker died from the mouth puncturing his chest a few times.

But I do think the mouth is meant to lobotomized the victim for later cocooning. In the deleted scene from Alien, Brett was already turning into an egg and we definitely see him getting his brains chewed out by the Xenomorph. It feels like it's more guaranteed implantation if the victim can't fight off a facehugger and/or kill themselves during gestation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How long do the eggs last? Relying on hosts to grow your young - and you need big hosts - must make for challenging times, sometimes.

Other times, Bounty!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Mister Speaker posted:

Most likely I'll do the same with the second issue in which Burke totally bones humanity. Dead daughter walking am I right?

The Aliens don't have to head shot someone, they can always use the attack without actually hitting the person as a threatening gesture. Basically "Get your rear end down or die" kind of thing. Then they scoop up the quivering jelly blob of a person and coccoon them. That and always thought if they wanted the xenos were smart enough to attack and wound a person but not actually kill them, strike them in the shoulder or arm for example. Again, make them into a quivering jelly blob and carry them back to the nest, they're hurt but good enough they won't die or hurt the facehugger egg.

When they do head shot someone I always took it as because they need a threat out of the way or it needs food. See the original Alien movie crew. Brett killed for food or egg reproduction and Parker for attacking it.

I really want them to go back to the concept of a single Alien being able to convert a person into eggs. It works so drat well and makes them so much more scary and horrible from a human view point. Gotta love that body horror.

redshirt posted:

How long do the eggs last? Relying on hosts to grow your young - and you need big hosts - must make for challenging times, sometimes.

Other times, Bounty!

Based on every concept I've ever read in comics or seen on the screen eggs seem to last forever. They go into a hibernation state for hundreds or thousands of years and wake up with enough contact around it. Have we ever had fossilized eggs, might be missing some that popped up somewhere.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 9, 2024

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I didn't want to bring up the What If? because it was....odd and I wanted to give it another issue or two. These are usually 4 issue arcs.

The last Aliens one was stupid and I thought was a waste or two arcs.

Predator I'm hoping leads to something fun because of the final reveal.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That what if story has major “jar jar ends up destitute in the eu” vibes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ruddiger posted:

lol poor Jar Jar

EDIT: Oh wait I thought you meant European Union. But now I realize you mean Extended Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

ruddiger posted:

Except he's still employed and he's running a mining operation.

Aside from that, yeah everything else sucks. He got packed up and sent off to a lovely place with lovely everything. Everyone hates him and probably wishes he'd die already.

It reminds me of how business men in Japan get treated if they gently caress up, they don't get fired. They get sent to some corner office and just exist. Left to be forgotten until they punch in their final time.