Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cossacks 3 was literally just a remake of 1 wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoqZw2xZdtE

Chinese isometric Mount and Blade-like(?) city builder(??) game, whoa.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

Cossacks 3 was literally just a remake of 1 wasn't it?

Pretty much, yes.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The Terminator RTS game is out BTW. Is anyone here trying it?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh poo poo, I had no idea! Curious to hear about it, I know they're different developers, but Slitherine's Starship Troopers one was good.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Solium Infernum remake out later today. Not seeing a great deal of chatter about even in strategy places, which makes sense given how niche the original was. I loved that game and I'm hoping this one finds an audience.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

Ugh, Petroglyph is still doing this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHeZn6yj7c

The demo felt no different than the other 3 games except now it's just a worse Generals with the worst art style known to man. :geno:

It'll probably be worth it (just like the other games) for the Frank Klepacki soundtrack if nothing else.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The 8-Bit series was awesome you guys are wrong and bad

edit: same but also Iron Harvest

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slaan posted:

Is BAR any good compared to TA or SupCom FAF? I've been hesitant to pick up any new ones in the genre to avoid the disappointment I had with SupCom 2

BAR is really good, also there is at least one goon who contributes to it. It's very fun and I spent 45m building a giant death laser that could fire across the map on a big hill for no other reason except that I could.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

The 8-Bit series was awesome you guys are wrong and bad

edit: same but also Iron Harvest

I liked the 8-bit games for the most part, but the soundtracks alone were worth the price of the games for me.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Senethro posted:

Solium Infernum remake out later today. Not seeing a great deal of chatter about even in strategy places, which makes sense given how niche the original was. I loved that game and I'm hoping this one finds an audience.

Picked it up and played the tutorial and then another match back to back and think the game is rad. Looking forward to trying out all the different characters and might actually try to play online.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How's Solium Infernum for single player?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Haven't played enough to really say for sure, but the AI seems a bit on the easy side. Need to check difficulty settings next game because I very well could have been playing on baby mode.

Still fun though, there is a lot of stuff to figure out.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AoM Retold is out later this year: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1934680/Age_of_Mythology_Retold/

Also a new (campaign focused) AoE2DE expansion in a few weeks: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2805510/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition__Victors_and_Vanquished/

Looks like it’s a combination of existing user-made scenarios updated with voice acting, new music, bug fixes and stuff and then five new ones. Pretty cool stuff if you’re into Age 2 campaigns.

Anno fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 23, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hype hype hype hype!

AoM Retold looks glorious.

https://www.pcgamer.com/age-of-mythology-retold-interview-preview/

Highlights: Higher pop cap, myth units can be micro'd now, and god powers are on cooldowns now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AoM is one of the only RTS campaigns I ever really enjoyed, up there with coop DoW2

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Prostagma

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Vulome

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

and god powers are on cooldowns now.
Even back when it came out I always thought it was weird they were all single use.

Anyway, it could be interesting assuming they support this like they have the AOE games with new civilizations and such, could end up a real mythological thunderdome.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Trip report: 9-bit Armies gameplay is even more fun than 8-bit Armies fight me irl, and the AI is better to fight against

More polished than the Starship Troopers RTS, Homeworld Deserts of Kharak, and Crossfire Legion

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

ZearothK posted:

This is not the first 4X/wargame with good AI. The AI is active, it is busy, but it just does whatever is doable. Not what is best and not successfully. Sometimes a leader emerges, but usually its just a pack of chumps holding each other back completely unaware the human is running rings around them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I’ve found myself craving a strategy game for the first time since Red Alert 2; which I LOVED back in the day

I’m considering Civ 6 and AoE4- I realize they’re different game types (4x vs RTS, etc)

However - which would be easier to digest and approach as someone with little strategy game time since like forever ago (basically I need a strong intro campaign or tutorial). Super open and will probably try both in time

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I like Civ6 significantly less than 5, because of how fiddly districts are, especially when you get buildings and wonders that scale based on districts and buildings in other cities within a certain range. If you want to get into Civ, 5 is both cheaper and more fun in my eyes but ymmw.

I'd recommend Red Alert 3 or Tiberium Wars for good, clean single player fun in the same vein as RA2. Their campaigns are well worth a playthrough. The AoE4 campaigns are very ehhhh and I didn't like them much, though multiplayer is as good as Age of Empires has always been.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Walked posted:

I’ve found myself craving a strategy game for the first time since Red Alert 2; which I LOVED back in the day

I’m considering Civ 6 and AoE4- I realize they’re different game types (4x vs RTS, etc)

However - which would be easier to digest and approach as someone with little strategy game time since like forever ago (basically I need a strong intro campaign or tutorial). Super open and will probably try both in time

I'd say go for AoE2 DE. It's one of the best examples of how to update and maintain an old game I can think of. Isn't really much to recommend 4 over it unless you're really caught up on wanting to play the latest instalment, especially if you skipped everything between RA2 and now.

Also YMMV but I utterly despised the campaign narration in AoE4, that crappy history channel documentary writing style drives me up the loving wall in a way few other things do.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
For a total beginner, I'd say AoE 4 is more approachable than 2 for skirmish. The streamlining of the early game does help a lot. But, if played for the single player experience, then 2 has an immense amount of campaigns. AoE 4 has the Sultans Ascend campaign which seems super solid if you're looking for a style similar to the AoE 2 campaigns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
AoE2 has so many drat missions. I've got nearly 700 hours in the game and there's no way the majority of that time was multiplayer I feel

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Assessor of Maat posted:

I'd say go for AoE2 DE. It's one of the best examples of how to update and maintain an old game I can think of. Isn't really much to recommend 4 over it unless you're really caught up on wanting to play the latest instalment, especially if you skipped everything between RA2 and now.

Also YMMV but I utterly despised the campaign narration in AoE4, that crappy history channel documentary writing style drives me up the loving wall in a way few other things do.

They should do the campaign documentary format again, with Philomena Cunk. Age of Cunkerors

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Walked posted:

Super open and will probably try both in time

Here are some 4X games with a tough learning curves that are worth the time and patience:

Crusader Kings 2
Crusader Kings 3
Stellaris
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Dominions 6
Victoria 2
Old World

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

skooma512 posted:

They should do the campaign documentary format again, with Philomena Cunk. Age of Cunkerors

Unironically gently caress yes, I would absolutely love at least a one off campaign with her narrating the cutscenes and whatnot.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Armauk posted:

Here are some 4X games with a tough learning curves that are worth the time and patience:

Crusader Kings 2
Crusader Kings 3
Stellaris
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Dominions 6
Victoria 2
Old World

I’d add Distant Worlds Universe to the list.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DW2 is pretty good now. I find it hard to go back to DWU.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Walked posted:

Would you be into a different flavor of RTS?

The original Company Of Heroes is hella cheap and has a very fun singleplayer campaign. It still holds up great, the voice work and soundscape in particular is top notch. Its been the only singleplayer RTS to really impress me since Warcraft 3

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer
CoH is in my opinion the greatest RTS ever made. It still looks and plays great despite being 20 years old.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly yeah, I'd still rank TA higher, but CoH1 is legit the last great RTS so far.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Play Shogun Total War 2 it’s probably the best all round strategy game of our time and includes turn based 4x and real time

It’s not as large scale as other total wars at the start at least so it’s more manageable and feels a lot more strategic as a result.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

CoH is in my opinion the greatest RTS ever made. It still looks and plays great despite being 20 years old.

For some reason I've got CoH, CoH: Tales of Valor, CoH: Opposing Fronts, and CoH Legacy Edition in my steam library. Which do I install?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You'll just want regular ole Company of Heroes, it should have all of the expansions baked into it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cabal Ties posted:

Play Shogun Total War 2 it’s probably the best all round strategy game of our time and includes turn based 4x and real time

It’s not as large scale as other total wars at the start at least so it’s more manageable and feels a lot more strategic as a result.

And then when you feel that you're done with Shogun you can play Fall of the Samurai for a totally different experience on the same map.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dawn of War 2 is also still a great SP RTS. Get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Dawn of War 2 is also still a great SP RTS. Get on that.

The hell it is. DoW2 went the extract wrong direction and I will die on that hill. After the excellent DoW expansion where you conquer a planet they move to a squad-scale hero RTS? Where are my continent spanning armies, batteries of artillery backing up legions and legions of IG???