Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also this is how out of touch execs are:

Should be higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

Should be higher
:hmmyes:

"Haha according to this I'm low income. Can you imagine" yes you are. Join us on the barricades

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To be fair, I think they are doing a lazy version of "bottom 50%" because the median household income in the U.S. is $74,580.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, I think they are doing a lazy version of "bottom 50%" because the median household income in the U.S. is $74,580.

As someone who lives in a high-income state I still think this is an incredibly stupid basis to talk about basically anything. The variance among states is so wide that characterizing consumers based on the national scale instead of a state or regional scale is basically useless. Someone making $60k in Mississippi is probably going to behave a lot more like someone making $100k in NY than someone making $60k. Seems especially relevant when they are talking about disposable income in the same breath - obviously disposable income depends on expenses, not just gross household income.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also this is how out of touch execs are:

75k is about the average household so below that could be considered lower in a broad sense of the term.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They don't care where the cutoff is for hardship or self sufficiency; they're not a charity or public policy org. They just made some distinction based on marketing data and gave it a name for convenience.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This Wendy’s thing just sounds like it’s going to lead a bunch of angry customers who pull up to the drive thru, ask for the “real” menu, and start haggling over prices even when they aren’t being surged.

I feel like AI and LLMs specifically are due for a Number Go Up style takedown because you should not be able to get away with “AI-enabled” as an unquestioned Good Thing in marketing speak.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nachos posted:

This Wendy’s thing just sounds like it’s going to lead a bunch of angry customers who pull up to the drive thru, ask for the “real” menu, and start haggling over prices even when they aren’t being surged.

I feel like AI and LLMs specifically are due for a Number Go Up style takedown because you should not be able to get away with “AI-enabled” as an unquestioned Good Thing in marketing speak.

Number Go Up is just summarizing what everyone already knew. Any tech adjacent person knows what LLMs actually are. They also know that if they use the word a lot they can make a bunch of money come out of the VC box every time they use it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the part about surge pricing for dining i don't entirely get is that traditionally it's deployed when you want to decrease demand that strains capacity. so i guess this is a tacit admission that further efficiency gains in service time aren't possible, and the next step is charging more until demand matches throughput to maximize total sales? but as an economic prof once told me when i came at a problem from a supply side perspective, inability to keep up with demand is a nice problem to have because you can just expand

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the part about surge pricing for dining i don't entirely get is that traditionally it's deployed when you want to decrease demand that strains capacity. so i guess this is a tacit admission that further efficiency gains in service time aren't possible, and the next step is charging more until demand matches throughput to maximize total sales? but as an economic prof once told me when i came at a problem from a supply side perspective, inability to keep up with demand is a nice problem to have because you can just expand

Their thought process went as far as "this could get us more money" op.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's probably not profitable to open another location that would only be there for handling meal rush times.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Recreating the situation that led to Quakers inventing stable pricing in the first place

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It's probably not profitable to open another location that would only be there for handling meal rush times.

Depends on what the constraint is -- it probably is more profitable to hire some part time workers you only schedule for the meal rush. Which I gotta imagine that they already do.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think it is either both or just talking about drive through.

This is the slide from the earnings call talking about Drive through changes:

ah, yes, nothing like the speed, accuracy and satisfaction of having to correct what the AI heard a dozen times. I'm sure the sound of traffic or other nearby things won't cause issue either.

and I'm sure this won't be a massive headache for the average order, much less specialty or complex orders.

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
How is 'surge pricing' even supposed to work when [average American] is using [sub minimum wage delivery app], and their prices can't predict whatever Wedny's surge pricing algorithm will be setting? I'm guessing doordash, etc. will just hand you a bill for a higher amount on delivery, but I don't imagine that working out well.

This is starting to sound a lot like bitcoin now actually :thunk:

Hell, if we're lucky, maybe fast food companies and gig economy apps will end up killing each other?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah those delivery apps already jack up the price, I'm not sure customers will accept another increase, especially one as unpredictable as surge pricing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought retailers controlled their prices in the app - the apps themselves tack on extra fees, but most retailers up charge through the app cause the apps are taking cuts on top of the fees.

They probably could be configured pretty easily to pass through the "real time" prices, but how much apps would want to encourage those practices could be up in the air.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
high freq. stock trading should be banned, so should this.

like people dont live in 1 sec. time spans, (nor do they live in min, hour, or even day time spans). like just because we can measure data in 1 second or even pico seconds doesnt mean theres any information there for a restaurant/biz.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
A lot of B2C companies are getting into differentiated pricing now. The basic idea being that some customers in some contexts are willing to pay more and then you should charge them more. To take a local example, if you go to a brick and mortar pharmacy around here now and you pick up a box of ibuprofen or whatever over-the-counter painkiller, it's gonna be like twice as expensive as if you go to the same chain's web shop. You're not going to walk out of the store to get a better price elsewhere; you have a headache and you need those pills, so you'll pay more. Not too long ago this sort of thing was mainly a thing for airline tickets (and everything in B2B sales, of course) but expect to see it everywhere in consumer facing industries soon.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 28, 2024

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I thought retailers controlled their prices in the app - the apps themselves tack on extra fees, but most retailers up charge through the app cause the apps are taking cuts on top of the fees.

They probably could be configured pretty easily to pass through the "real time" prices, but how much apps would want to encourage those practices could be up in the air.

Yeah it’s standard practice for restaurants to mark up their menu by a dollar or two or pass off the doordash cut onto the customer. On their website or in store everything will be cheaper.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TheFluff posted:

A lot of B2C companies are getting into differentiated pricing now. The basic idea being that some customers in some contexts are willing to pay more and then you should charge them more. To take a local example, if you go to a brick and mortar pharmacy around here now and you pick up a box of ibuprofen or whatever over-the-counter painkiller, it's gonna be like twice as expensive as if you go to the same chain's web shop. You're not going to walk out of the store to get a better price elsewhere; you have a headache and you need those pills, so you'll pay more. Not too long ago this sort of thing was mainly a thing for airline tickets (and everything in B2B sales, of course) but expect to see it everywhere in consumer facing industries soon.

Target has been doing this for what feels like forever now. They will have a price in store say $420.69 but in the app it’s $399.99 but the trick is that the $399.99 price is only available if you buy it for pickup. I asked if I could just order the thing for pickup online right here in the store and then either grab it myself or someone else could take it off the shelf for me and hand it to me, but they can’t do that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I bought a $300 office chair for 50% off from Staples with online pickup while sitting in the chair I wanted in the store I picked it up from. If I bought it at the store itself it would have been full price since the sale was only online.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Wendy’s system will definitely lower prices below what they are now when business is slow, right? Right?

Gettin that negative 51 cent dollar menu square burger at 3am; awe yeah.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sekhmnet posted:

Gettin that negative 51 cent dollar menu square burger at 3am; awe yeah.

Drunk bar patrons is deffo surge pricing time. They'll be too inebriated to notice, too

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wendy’s Baconator®: Call us for a quote today!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Market price baconator lol, like its loving lobster or something.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

TACD posted:

Wendy’s Baconator®: Call us for a quote today!

Can't believe baconators are C skus smh

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I would simply exercise my baconator options at 3am instead of purchasing at market value

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Did anybody else get yanked around by the ATT outage?

Several of my contacts now don't display their names when I get texts. Also, my phone was stuck for like a half a day in startup mode after a forced restart. Been looking for a different carrier anyway so this is a good incentive I guess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do people keep saying/thinking there’s less business at 3am at fast food joints when bars close at 2am

BiggerBoat posted:

Did anybody else get yanked around by the ATT outage?

Several of my contacts now don't display their names when I get texts. Also, my phone was stuck for like a half a day in startup mode after a forced restart. Been looking for a different carrier anyway so this is a good incentive I guess.

Don’t worry AT&T got your back and will make it right with a whole $5 worth of statement credits.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/npr/npr-story/1233855663

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 28, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Wendy's CEO is now either "clarifying" or backtracking and saying that the surge pricing will work similar to happy hours.

You pay a "higher" price during rush, but that is the normal menu price. There are discounts during low sales times.

Whether that is actually a clarification or a walkback, it is still a massive self-inflicted wound. Restaurants and bars have already figured this out. You just raise your prices and make that your normal price, then you have a happy hour discount down to where you want to price them in the off hours.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Taco Bell of all people have this poo poo figured out too. They run a "happier hour" where you get discounted soft drinks and freezes every day at a set time. I've been known to swing by for a freeze from time to time so it works on me at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

Taco Bell of all people have this poo poo figured out too. They run a "happier hour" where you get discounted soft drinks and freezes every day at a set time. I've been known to swing by for a freeze from time to time so it works on me at least.

This is why Taco Bell will win the franchise wars

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mobby_6kl posted:

This is why Taco Bell will win the franchise wars

Unless you are in Europe.

Then, it's Pizza Hut.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I really appreciate that Taco Bell exists because they’re like the only fast food place that actually caters to vegetarians.

E: caters is doing a lot of work but they do have actual vegetarian stuff, including their cheeses

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really appreciate that Taco Bell exists because they’re like the only fast food place that actually caters to vegetarians.

I think it is hilarious that the same restaurant that sells the Doritos Locos taco and Cinnabon Burritos is also a restaurant that was endorsed by the American Diabetes Association and was rated the healthiest national fast food chain back in the mid-2010's* (not sure if it is still true now).

*It was specifically their Fresca menu and not their menu as a whole, but they still were rated the healthiest food you could get nationwide.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I think it is hilarious that the same restaurant that sells the Doritos Locos taco and Cinnabon Burritos is also a restaurant that was endorsed by the American Diabetes Association and was rated the healthiest national fast food chain back in the mid-2010's* (not sure if it is still true now).

*It was specifically their Fresca menu and not their menu as a whole, but they still were rated the healthiest food you could get nationwide.

I remember hearing at some point they actually were intentional about this and hired dieticians to come up with the healthy stuff so they could make all these claims while serving you your bacon wrapped chocolate dipped Doritos Locos chalupa with cheese dip and mega grande Baja Blast, which blew my mind. But hey, good on them

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If anything they have more vegetarian options now than they did in the 2010s. You can even get like veggie crunchwraps now. They have black beans as a protein option for most of their otherwise meat having menu options.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

If anything they have more vegetarian options now than they did in the 2010s. You can even get like veggie crunchwraps now. They have black beans as a protein option for most of their otherwise meat having menu options.

Yeah meanwhile let’s look at McDonald’s:

Crickets.

Let’s look at Jack in the Box:

Crickets.

Let’s look at Burger King:

They got the impossible stuff but ya know the impossible patties are still grilled on the same countertops as their meat, and the fries you’re eating are still fried in the same oil they fry chicken nuggets.

Taco Bell will gladly tell you that their cheese are 100% vegetarian friendly. That’s a huge plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Mustang posted:

I bought a $300 office chair for 50% off from Staples with online pickup while sitting in the chair I wanted in the store I picked it up from. If I bought it at the store itself it would have been full price since the sale was only online.

I remember hearing a news story a while ago about how stores would display different prices on their website vs in-store. On top of that when you were physically in the store it would show you the in-store prices on your phone if you looked it up. I've had it happen at Petco but haven't experienced it anywhere else yet. I believe Target does it as well.

Found the news story: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/target-tracking-location-changing-prices_l_603fd12bc5b6ff75ac410a38

quote:

In 2019, an investigation by KARE11 news, an NBC affiliate in Minneapolis, found that Target would change its prices based on whether app users were shopping from in or outside a store. In fact, after comparing prices on 10 different products, the station’s total bill was $262 cheaper when shopping from the back of the parking lot versus inside the Target store.