Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Officer! That rom is a dump of my personal copy of mr. Do I swear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Sucks that Nintendo is sending death squads to murder all Steam Deck owners but them's the breaks. Thankfully I can still play epic Nintendo games on my Switch.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

All Nintendo Cops Are Bastards

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

Valve released an official SteamDeck trailer showing Yuzu installed so yeah I’d say it’s probably on their radar.

lmao

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MechaX posted:

yuzu probably wouldn't even be in this situation if it didn't even touch the encryption/decryption stuff with a 10-foot poll and leave that to people handling the actual roms and poo poo to deal with

they did, you can't do poo poo with yuzu without prod.keys and they won't tell you where to get it.

nintendo's argument is that if you get product keys from a hacked switch or the internet, then yuzu can play games. that's really it, when you cut out all the absolutely ludicrous scare language in the complaint. it's nearly the exact same argument sony used against bleem and that never goes well, this is either harassment in an effort to bankrupt yuzu or they're just taking another wild swing at decades old, extremely well established precedent in the hopes some trump appointee will rubber stamp it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't understand why Switch can play MK8 at an insane framerate but people think the limitations of ports are a hardware issue

It's a dev skill issue.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they did, you can't do poo poo with yuzu without prod.keys and they won't tell you where to get it.

nintendo's argument is that if you get product keys from a hacked switch or the internet, then yuzu can play games. that's really it, when you cut out all the absolutely ludicrous scare language in the complaint. it's nearly the exact same argument sony used against bleem and that never goes well, this is either harassment in an effort to bankrupt yuzu or they're just taking another wild swing at decades old, extremely well established precedent in the hopes some trump appointee will rubber stamp it.

That's not true, yuzu's quickstart guide right now just tells you to get lockpick_rcm and just get them yourself lol

There was also a part in the complaint that had discord messages from the lead dev just being like "eh just pirate the files"

whether or not that will be sufficient for a court of law, i do not know

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mdemone posted:

I don't understand why Switch can play MK8 at an insane framerate but people think the limitations of ports are a hardware issue

It's a dev skill issue.

It’s a decade old game is why.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Make more games that look a decade old then ez

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mdemone posted:

It's a dev skill issue.

It’s the same issue as in any corporate environment, lovely management with unrealistic timelines/expectations.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Meowywitch posted:

nintendo can choke on a fat chode

And yet you play Nintendo... Curious!

I am very intelligent.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hatty posted:

all those hentai puzzle games look about a decade old

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

mdemone posted:

It's a dev skill issue.

I don't get how people are incapable of understanding that two things are simultaneously true: some devs are poo poo at optimising their games for the switch, and the switch hardware itself is nearly a decade old and absolutely a limiting factor when it comes to development

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sir Tonk posted:

all those hentai puzzle games look about a decade old

I'm still mystified that Nintendo allows those games on the eShop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it costs them nothing and gives them money and that are a company

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MechaX posted:

That's not true, yuzu's quickstart guide right now just tells you to get lockpick_rcm and just get them yourself lol

There was also a part in the complaint that had discord messages from the lead dev just being like "eh just pirate the files"

whether or not that will be sufficient for a court of law, i do not know

them getting paid via patreon for nightly releases and bugfixes which (at the time) were done with the express purpose of making an unreleased game run / run better is also a new angle I haven't seen before. I doubt this ends up going as far as Nintendo would like but Yuzu has also been very loving coy and lax about what they do. Emulation (especially current gen stuff) in general has seen this surge of interest and lack of care in terms or piracy in the last year or so. I'm surprised they took this long to go after it. Like you see it on the steam deck sub-reddit and other places whenever anything new comes out on the Switch. It's almost always a race to show if it can run on the Deck or PC and then it's a race to just how much better they can get it running.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hatty posted:

Hell, go the ScarVio route and make games that look two decades old!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
nintendos top game is 10 years old, and it rules

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Gamecube games coming to the Switch confirmed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like you see it on the steam deck sub-reddit and other places whenever anything new comes out on the Switch. It's almost always a race to show if it can run on the Deck or PC and then it's a race to just how much better they can get it running.
theres nothing nintendo can really do about this though, its not illegal in the slightest

of course none of those people are actually dumping their own game cartridges and bios and stuff but theres no way to prove that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

Goon legal experts ftw!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like you see it on the steam deck sub-reddit and other places whenever anything new comes out on the Switch. It's almost always a race to show if it can run on the Deck or PC and then it's a race to just how much better they can get it running.

yes that's how emulation has always worked and probably always will because it's a bunch of enthusiastic nerds.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No it’s largely piracy based. I think you guys are missing the main point of this being for a current gen system with software still being produced and sold. It’s not really comparable to most of the emulation hobby scene in that regard.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nintendo should stop suing cool people

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Shammypants posted:

Nintendo should stop suing cool people

That's how I know I'm safe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

American McGay posted:

No it’s largely piracy based. I think you guys are missing the main point of this being for a current gen system with software still being produced and sold. It’s not really comparable to most of the emulation hobby scene in that regard.
sure but that doesnt really change the legal precedent. bleem was emulating ps1 and dreamcast when those were current. the ps1 didnt stop being manufactured until 2006. there were 450 releases for it in the year 2000. the ps2 didnt even come out in the us until months after the case was filed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

bleem was murdered by legal fees and Yuzu will be too if they somehow survive the initial ruling, which my gut says they won't.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i simply play Switch games on my Nintendo Switch? not sure what the issue here is?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i play switch games on my pc because im too broke to buy them. also one of my joycons broke and im too broke to buy a new one so handheld mode is hosed.

SettingSun posted:

bleem was murdered by legal fees and Yuzu will be too if they somehow survive the initial ruling, which my gut says they won't.
oh yaeh i think yuzu specifically is probably hosed but ryujinx exists and therell probably be another switch emu to take yuzu's place

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SettingSun posted:

I think the courts today are also far more friendly to corporations. Back when Bleem happened the DMCA had just been established.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still mystified that Nintendo allows those games on the eShop

it's incredible, every day the same games are "updated" so they show up at the top of the list. what a stupid system.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can buy games from the website and have it automatically downloaded to your Switch at home waiting for you. I’ve never used the eShop because it’s slow and garbage.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

You can buy games from the website and have it automatically downloaded to your Switch at home waiting for you. I’ve never used the eShop because it’s slow and garbage.

lol it owns so much doing this. I grin every time

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Notable March 2024 releases...it's kind of a stacked month. This post is a little early and there's not a god drat thing you can do about it:

3-07-2024 Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley ($19.99, on sale for $17.99 until 3/7/2024), rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9chKLZbHsc
A musical adventure game featuring the moomin things. Notably, Sigur Ros was involved with the music. You are trying to find moomintroll. It looks kinda neat!

3-08-2024 Unicorn Overlord ($59.99 for digital, $69.99 for digital Monarch Edition :siren:DEMO AVAILABLE:siren:), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4z9tDwohg
New IP strategy game that seems to have taken a page from Ogre Battle. Raise an army, dink around with outfitting your guys, then send them into the field to do an RTS esque campaign. It looks rad as poo poo. Demo progress carries over. Thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054838
I would be all over this if it weren't for the fact that I haven't even gotten to Triangle Strategy yet.

3-12-2024 Contra: Operation Galuga ($39.99, on sale for $35.99 until 3/26/2024 :siren:DEMO AVAILABLE:siren:), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=255nfcqSzQw
Remake of the original Contra. Made by WayForward. I liked the demo, but seems like people have complaints, mostly about the confusing visuals and the controls. So try the demo before buying.

3-14-2024 STAR WARS™: Battlefront Classic Collection ($35.01, on sale for $31.50 until 3/14/2024), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRu8-YcH9k
Up to 64 players in huge, iconic Star Wars battles. You can play as KIT FISTO. No mention of cross play, which is probably a bad sign.

3-15-2024 Kingdom Come Deliverance: Royal Edition ($49.99, rated M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjG7RSemBpg
Story driven open world RPG. You are trying to avenge your parent's deaths. "Realistic Action RPG" that looks to have a lot of drama in the story.

3-19-2024 MLB® The Show™ 24 ($59.99 for digital, $84.99 for MVP Edition, $99.99 for Digital Deluxe Edition) rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhZ5Q6JwM6I
Baseball with all the stuff you'd expect like a franchise mode, career mode, whatever. Graphics look a little low rez. Claims to have cross platform play, so that's good.

3-22-2024 Princess Peach™: Showtime! ($59.99, game voucher eligible) rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJIpCAkc-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjC5wETyIsE
Peach gets her own game for the first time since 2006. She gets to change into a bunch of different costumes, each one more fabulous than the last. Ninja Peach, Cowgirl Peach, Detective Peach, Pastry Chef Peach, Kung Fu Peach, Mermaid Peach, Swordfighter Peach, Ice Skater Peach, and more! It's going to be awesome! Yes, it will be extremely easy. Yes, it will be extremely short. Who gives a gently caress it's going to be so god drat rad

Preorder with Best Buy to get an acrylic stand of Peach https://www.bestbuy.com/site/princess-peach-showtime-nintendo-switch-oled-model-nintendo-switch-nintendo-switch-lite/6561747.p?skuId=6561747
Preorder with WalMart to get a pair of scrunchies https://www.walmart.com/ip/Princess...02?athbdg=L1600
If you order from EU/UK Nintendo Store, you get a pin badge and a notebook!
Nintendo is also launching pastel pink joycons the same day! https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/p...g4B40FF-gy1v6MA

It's going to be a delightful game. External Organs' daughter will have a review of it in April.

3-28-2024 Pepper Grinder (can't find a price? :siren:DEMO AVAILABLE:siren:) rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCPIPieo-3c
After Princess Peach I was ready to just dismiss this game but looking at the trailer...it might be kinda rad? 2D action platformer where you can dig through stuff. Almost reminiscent of Drill Dozer though not really. It looks pretty interesting with some imaginative design and the art style is good. Devolver game, may be worth a look.

If I missed any games worth looking into, post them!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
game freak should forego pokemon for another year and make a new drill dozer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Pepper Grinder demo was good, I think it'll be this year's Grapple Dog (tm)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
is grapple dog good?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Ultimately it does seem like Yuzu have just been stupidly lax given that Nintendo have lawyers with extremely large and very proven teeth. I suspect Nintendo are acting *now* because presumably emulating the Super Switch 2000 or whatever it's called will also not be too hard* and they want to cut this off with their old console before it's a problem on the new.

* Just because I don't think the hardware will end up being complicated enough that the Deck can't make a decent fist of it, even if it will be more advanced than the Switch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nintendo cannot stop the party, they can only spray water at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

American McGay posted:

what's the ratio of homebrew to piracy use on cfw switch units and how does that compare to other commonly jailbroken game consoles?