Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my first game at my first prerelease was against someone who did not speak. he did not announce spell casts or ability activations or announce step/phase transitions or priority passing, simply gestured with his hands for everything and silently recorded his life total on his pad. he was not mute because in between games he would turn to his friend next to him and have a conversation. not shaming a guy who was possibly autistic or something but it was incredibly off putting going from the kitchen table with my friends to that being my first lgs experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Everyone post funny paper stories

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I used to be a poor loser and then got the gently caress over myself. Now the only times losing a game bothers me is when the person I'm playing against is being a condescending rear end in a top hat about it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I brought my Drake posted:

I used to be a poor loser and then got the gently caress over myself. Now the only times losing a game bothers me is when the person I'm playing against is being a condescending rear end in a top hat about it.

getting a "splinter between my fingers" feeling thinking about the opponents who helpfully lecture you unprompted about your incorrect plays after they win

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I once played a guy at a free fnm, i beat him in 3 games and went to shake his had(pre covid) and said good game. He responded by saying "No it wasn't" pouting and walking away. I played literal children that night and they handled losing better than this full grown adult.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Time posted:

Way back in shards of alara I was 0-2 at a sealed grand prix in Japan and me and my opponent spontaneously decided to start narrating our match like it was an episode of Yugioh. It was the most fun I've ever had playing magic in my life.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Time posted:

I think I was probably the more annoying person here but I don’t think any of the interaction was a very big deal. Just a funny story
The story was funny and this is a great attitude imo

It's been over 15 years since I played paper, but I'll always remember when the local group got together at some guy's place to play Magic all evening, and I hadn't clocked that most of them wanted to train for some upcoming competitive standard event. I just wanted to jam games with some dumbshit deck I'd built. This one guy ended up being paired with me in the "training house" and was really mad to start with because I hadn't brought a meta deck so the match wouldn't give him good info.

At one point I countered his big play and got real smug about it and he said "with this attitude you'll never have friends" but I misheard and thought he'd said "girlfriend" so I countered with the super lame "I actually have a girlfriend" to which he responded WELL PROBABLY NOT FOR LONG IF YOU CONTINUE LIKE THAT

I don't remember exactly how smug I was but jeez go off man. Super awkward from both sides.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Time posted:

a million years ago i played jim davis in the top 8 of an scg open. before we sat down he came up to me and said something like 'i heard i'm a huge dog in this matchup. but this dog's got some bite' and then growled.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Simply Simon posted:

At one point I countered his big play and got real smug about it and he said "with this attitude you'll never have friends" but I misheard and thought he'd said "girlfriend" so I countered with the super lame "I actually have a girlfriend" to which he responded WELL PROBABLY NOT FOR LONG IF YOU CONTINUE LIKE THAT

lmfao

Big Leg posted:

a million years ago i played jim davis in the top 8 of an scg open. before we sat down he came up to me and said something like 'i heard i'm a huge dog in this matchup. but this dog's got some bite' and then growled.

lmfao

xK1 posted:

Way back in shards of alara I was 0-2 at a sealed grand prix in Japan and me and my opponent spontaneously decided to start narrating our match like it was an episode of Yugioh. It was the most fun I've ever had playing magic in my life.

hell yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Time posted:

There was a mother and son at a prerelease and I happened to be paired with them one after the other. When I told the mother I had just played against her son, she told me that was her husband. One of my more awkward MtG moments.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
new capenna sealed tournament, i open an absolutely bonkers bant/brokers package. i still lose round one to back-to-back jetmirs, oh well.

round 2 i'm playing against a jund/riveteers guy who is angrily shuffling when i walk over. he's writing his life totals on a tiny notepad on the opposite end of the table where i can't see it, i check and track it on my side too.

it seems like every card he draws is more frustrating than the last, he's complaining out loud every time about how he would be winning if he could just draw one good card or whathaveyou. this keeps going on and i don't exactly know what to say so I go 'ah well, that's magic.' or 'hey, variance, what you gonna do about?'

to which he replies 'that's not really helping :mad:' i just don't understand why i was supposed to care.

he proceeds to try to cheat twice on triggered effects and i slow the game down so that i'm clearly announcing every single phase of my turn carefully and clearly while he fumes and drops after losing.

at wilds of eldraine i had a guy legit fall asleep looking at his hand for a good 5 minutes. i already lost round one and this was more for fun so i let him rest until he suddenly picked his head back up and continued play.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I played Standard against a kid who was about 12. In our first game I got a miracle'd Revenge of the Hunted on a double strike creature and killed him on turn 3. I was worried he'd be upset, but instead he got really excited and called his friend over to come look at the board state.

Rinkles posted:

There was a mother and son at a prerelease and I happened to be paired with them one after the other. When I told the mother I had just played against her son, she told me that was her husband. One of my more awkward MtG moments.

:perfect:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
anyone miss jeff hoogland?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My very first draft was Infinity and someone at the table kept loudly talking about some specific card, I wasn't sure of the context all I got was the card name and I drafted like 3 of them and they were totally useless in the deck I built. I played against that guy and had a laugh when I finally understood why he wanted that card so bad since it was perfect for his deck, but I drafted all of them as they went by since it must've been Something Good to be mentioned aloud. He still won by having a real deck over whatever I slammed together.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Paul Zuvella posted:

I got this from doomwake once, but they were in fact bad games so I cant really hold it against him

doomwake loves to drop from events by announcing that he left on twitter then not telling the judge or TO

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Boo Whogland?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

He plays Marvel Snap now and is still a whiny bitch baby all the time, he got into some heat early on in the game for calling out a content creator over nothing, like usual.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Somberbrero posted:

at wilds of eldraine i had a guy legit fall asleep looking at his hand for a good 5 minutes. i already lost round one and this was more for fun so i let him rest until he suddenly picked his head back up and continued play.

Hell yeah

Rinkles posted:

Lmfao bro

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A favourite memory was being at an SCG in Tacoma back when they still came to the west coast. Friend and I both dropped from the main event, went to a bar, got very very drunk, then came back to do an on demand draft. We were both visibly very intoxicated, barely paid attention to the draft, and ran the pod meeting each other in the finals. We beat a father and son in sequence, some huffy serious guy and our own DD ride back. Everyone was so mad at losing to the guys who could barely see straight it was my most triumphant win ever I think.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Big Leg posted:

I believe you and don’t you loving dare backtrack a single word. I love it.

Speaking of scg opens, Andrew jessup and his brother put up huge finishes at scg for years. Back to back to back just all wins baby. Then out of nowhere there is a gap in play of about a year and then they turn into mortal people again. It’s been hinted at by psully that there were a few more people on “his list”. Just fun with data is all.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Many years ago I was playing FNM at a store and a this older guy who was playing had his wife show up during game two, yelling at him for being there and not taking care of their child. Complete with hitting him on the back with her flip flops until he scooped and went home with her. Lots of people in hindsight at that store with mixed priorities that served as a nice warning for us youngins.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I played in store champs instead of doing the walk through inspection with my landlord

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
My first lgs I played magic at in Texas had a story about a dude interuppting a tournament so he could propose to his girlfriend with a foil sliver queen. This happened a few months before I started going there.

Another time at the only legacy event we held that year, some dude showed up with some weird boros deck built around double strike. 5 mins into round one, his opponent calls over the judge, who explains that the second hit of double strike only deals damage to the opponent if the creature has trample. Even if the first strike hit kills the defending creature. The dude then silently packs up his poo poo and leaves, never coming back.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
classic hoogland image, where he didnt get invited to a streamer invite tournament

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Roughly 20 years ago but I can still hear it perfectly in my head…

I was at the LGS with friends just buying packs and there were some casual games going on at the table behind us. One game was a young adult guy against the store owner’s daughter who I think was around 6 or 7. The game was pretty good (the kid played a lot) but the adult won. He seemed apologetic as he declared his final attack. The kid looked at the attacking creatures a bit and knew she’d lost. Got a determined look on her face, stood up on her chair, pointed at the guy, and announced: “The next time we meet, I WILL DESTROY YOU!” In an anime villain voice. Then she got down and skipped off with her deck to find another game.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Rinkles posted:

lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sickening posted:

I believe you and don’t you loving dare backtrack a single word. I love it.

i would never lie about jim davis making funny sounds

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

kalel posted:

getting a "splinter between my fingers" feeling thinking about the opponents who helpfully lecture you unprompted about your incorrect plays after they win

I tend to get that feeling more with players who think that the matchup is so tilted in their favor that they're not focused on the game anymore. They're joking with their friends, chatting with onlookers, would probably be playing with their phones if that was a thing. (I haven't played anything remotely competitive since the mid aughts.) Something that would really piss me the gently caress off is if my opponent started showing folks cards from their hand and being all :smuggo: about it.

Really wishing I had a humorous anecdote from those days but I'm sifting through twenty years of memories of playing this drat game and the bright spots are after I gave up grinding and found my inner chill and became a filthy casual.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There was an infamous regular at the LGS I used to go to as a tween (fuckin twenty years ago... :negative) who was in every way the gross obese neckbeard rear end in a top hat stereotype. Acted all buddy buddy with newer people who didn't know better to scam them with unfair trades, huge sore loser, openly cheated a few times but didn't get in trouble for it because there wasn't any proof. Stuck around because he spent thousands of dollars a month and the ownership was very hands off with the place. I stopped going to that store after three or four years and didn't see him again after that for quite a while. One of my favorite memories from the time was watching a friend of mine playing a lovely black/white rebels lifegain deck in TSP/LOR standard stall him to death when he was playing Seismic Swans and he got so mad that he threw his deck.

A couple years ago I happened to run into him again at a different store in a close ish area. Completely turned his life around, had a couple daughters who he'd taught to play, was super nice and helpful to their friends and everyone else he and they played with, basically everyone there had good things to say about him.

I'm really happy for that guy. :unsmith:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 28, 2024

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

One time that stands out to me was just jamming EDH back at the local community college in the campus center, something like 14-ish years ago. It was a little later in the day, and as classes got out, the pod I was in broke up, some to go get food, some to hang out with their buddies that just got out, and one dude still wanted to play, so I figured gently caress it and shuffled up my Mayael the Anima deck. He was playing something mono-blue control, I think it might've been Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. Real "Draw Go" energy. As expected, he countered a few of my early spells, and I didn't have a way to give Mayael haste, so I just got to the point where I could hardcast some fatties. First one just so happened to be Spellbreaker Behemoth. Apparently, all he had in hand was bounce and counters, so while he slowed the beats, I just ran him out of relevant answers and played big fat things. He got salty over that, and after getting his lumps, scooped up and stormed off in a huff.

Gotta say, it was real weird when I saw people talking about that same dude a few years later. He probably got a few over on me, but at the same time, I still remember how mad he was over not being able to get rid of a Spellbreaker Behemoth.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

There was an infamous regular at the LGS I used to go to as a tween (fuckin twenty years ago... :negative) who was in every way the gross obese neckbeard rear end in a top hat stereotype. Acted all buddy buddy with newer people who didn't know better to scam them with unfair trades, huge sore loser, openly cheated a few times but didn't get in trouble for it because there wasn't any proof. Stuck around because he spent thousands of dollars a month and the ownership was very hands off with the place. I stopped going to that store after three or four years and didn't see him again after that for quite a while. One of my favorite memories from the time was watching a friend of mine playing a lovely black/white rebels lifegain deck in TSP/LOR standard stall him to death when he was playing Seismic Swans and he got so mad that he threw his deck.

A couple years ago I happened to run into him again at a different store in a close ish area. Completely turned his life around, had a couple daughters who he'd taught to play, was super nice and helpful to their friends and everyone else he and they played with, basically everyone there had good things to say about him.

I'm really happy for that guy. :unsmith:

that makes me glad :)

it would be great if we could find out what the exact event was that made him reevaluate his life so we could bottle it and give it to grognards the world over

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

that makes me glad :)

it would be great if we could find out what the exact event was that made him reevaluate his life so we could bottle it and give it to grognards the world over

He got caught on twitter salting about pro points

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This attitude isn't just annoying its completely wrong. Play-ins for top 8s are zero sum. Scooping to a random opponent to let them in is, in effect, removing another player from Top 8. You don't know who that player is but you generally don't know you're opponent either.

It's all very dumb.

(also once a judge told me I was safe to ID into top 8, did so, and got 9th and am still salty about draws/scoops)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This attitude isn't just annoying its completely wrong. Play-ins for top 8s are zero sum. Scooping to a random opponent to let them in is, in effect, removing another player from Top 8. You don't know who that player is but you generally don't know you're opponent either.

It's all very dumb.

(also once a judge told me I was safe to ID into top 8, did so, and got 9th and am still salty about draws/scoops)

drat that sucks. You could have complained, if that was back when there was an official judge program. My answer when players asked was, "I don't know, I'm bad at that math, I never play enough to worry about it."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Drawing into the top 8 has always been a "that's up the the two players drawn against each other to decide" situation everywhere I've been

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Two stories I recall:

1) Many, many years ago, one of the original Theros block prereleases. Probably Born of the Gods considering the cards I remember. Get paired against one of the more unpleasant locals, who tends to just be abrasive to communicate with. I win a close game 1, and he's generally unhappy, so nothing different than normal. We shuffle up for Game 2 and he leads on Turn 2 Pain Seer. Good card, I can't kill it or block it that well with my hand, could be a problem. Attacks with it Turn 3, gets to untap Turn 4. Flips Marhsmist Titan to Pain Seer and immediately begins tilting off, cursing everything and just scoops and leaves the event. Didn't see him for like a month and a half after.

2) Probably not too much later than that, at a competitive Modern event near me. Like a 1k or something. I'm playing 4Color Gifts, a deck that is both not great and outside my normal deck range, but it looked cool and I had/could borrow the cards. I draw Round 1 against Tron, win Round 2 against Merfolk. Get paired Round 3 against Soul Sisters. Match is long and the opponent is serious, which is fine, he's not being an rear end. At least, until we hit turns. Guy's now very adamant that I should've hurried up my pace of play earlier, I'm at fault for us being in turns, etc, after not having said anything the entire match to this point. Takes Turn 4 hits me to near dead with 2 Squadron Hawks(one with a Sword of Feast & Famine), passes the turn and tells me I'm dead. I then wrath the board on Turn 5 and just take the draw. Opponent isn't happy and overwhelmingly trying to get me to scoop, his friend who was watching the end of the match is saying I'm dead and should just scoop, and I'm just going "Nah, I'll take the draw."(I also legitimately believed, incorrectly or not, I could rattle off just wins and still prize from this point. I didn't and just lost a bunch, but that's beside the point.) He reluctantly signs the match slip and is just ranting and complaining the entire time as I get up to go drop off the slip. Then got 9th and was staring daggers at me the entire time they were handing out pricing to non Top 8.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

In a Dominaria tournament, a few rounds in, x-0, I was on monored against RB. He was at 4, I had a lethal dragon for the next turn but was behind on board otherwise. He windmill flips the top card, Scrapheap Scrounger, and is DOB. Says GG, we shake, he seems fine. Then he starts flipping cards from the top of his deck - Chandra, Unliscensed Distingration, Unliscensed Disintigration, Glory B, Chandra, Glory B. Each one makes him more and more upset until he gets so mad he punches a hole in the wall and gets DQed.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
ChannelFireball just made all their articles free again

https://x.com/ReidDuke/status/1762900219673419912?s=20

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

In a Dominaria tournament, a few rounds in, x-0, I was on monored against RB. He was at 4, I had a lethal dragon for the next turn but was behind on board otherwise. He windmill flips the top card, Scrapheap Scrounger, and is DOB. Says GG, we shake, he seems fine. Then he starts flipping cards from the top of his deck - Chandra, Unliscensed Distingration, Unliscensed Disintigration, Glory B, Chandra, Glory B. Each one makes him more and more upset until he gets so mad he punches a hole in the wall and gets DQed.

hahahaha this is my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Big Leg posted:

I'm imagining he carries around his laugh track and pressed it there