Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I am stubborn and refuse to pay for nineteen different streaming services. I still use DVD and will continue to do so because it's a far better deal.

It just makes sense, esspecially with how often shows get shuffled around or removed entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A VPN is a mere few pounds/dollars a month too...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Star Trek box sets regularly go on sale for absurdly cheap (especially the DVDs of DS9 and Voyager).

I bought DS9, Voyager, and TAS boxsets in 2018 during a prime sale and spent $100 for all three combined.

There's really no point to not own the physical copies of these series if you are a fan.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Bounty".

That sure is a B-plot.

To be honest it’s a miracle they took until the end of Season 2 before they went for that story!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bull3964 posted:

There's really no point to not own the physical copies of these series if you are a fan.

I got a reason. I haven't had an optical drive of any sort in over a decade.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seriously who owns optical drives anymore?

Only weirdos with a plastic fetish that's who. :colbert:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pyrotek posted:

Does anybody have an opinion on the packaging quality between the old single-season DS9 DVD sets and the newer complete series box? Looking on ebay, a complete set of the single-season boxes usually goes for ~$100 and the complete series box is ~$60. Is the packaging on the old sets worth the $40 difference? I'm always dubious of the quality of newer ultra-cheap DVD sets.

I have these region 2 sets. They interlock.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Zaroff posted:

To be honest it’s a miracle they took until the end of Season 2 before they went for that story!

Just everything about it is the worst. I almost feel bad for Phlox's actor.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Just lmao if you haven't downloaded fan made 4K upscales of all your favorite shows before they get taken down due to copyright strikes by the soulless corporations that own them

(I didn't do that with that channel that uploaded beast wars and reboot etc and I deeply regret it now)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Converse lol if you didn't keep a 13" CRT around so you can watch in 480i the way you did 30 years ago

(I did not do this either)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Encounter at Farpoint was pretty short in the mirror universe.

Q: "Jean Luc Picard, I accuse humanity of being violent, warlike, and primitive. Do you deny it?"

Mirror Picard: "Uh, no, of course not. Can we move this along? We just found a new alien lifeform down on the planet and we're trying to figure out more efficient ways to torture it into providing for our every whim."

Q: "Jesus Christ, I'm never coming back to this dimension."

It would be pretty funny if the Terran Empire were supposed to be ones Q puts on trial but he got the universes mixed up and no one else in the Continuum cared enough to tell him.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I would listen to the everliving poo poo out of this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reminded me of my headcanon for how much the first four engineers swear

Phy posted:

Miles is a noncom, he cusses with a profoundly deep vocabulary in at least five different languages, including the Cardassian he picked up shooting spoonheads

Scotty's an old hand who knows that cussin ultimately gets you nowhere, though he's been known to let out a "gently caress" barking his knuckles on a Jefferies tube wall

Torres emits a monotonous "gently caress, gently caress, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress, goddamnit, poo poo, gently caress" for literal hours and it's honestly terrifying

Geordi doesn't cuss on the job at all. Bev swears more than Geordi. Data swears more than Geordi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Scotty's a Scotsman in a manual discipline. The only reason 75% of the words we hear from him aren't swears are down to the universal translator's profanity filter

Trip, however, rarely swears, but does make use of various down-home sayings that sound like euphemisms for swearing, racism, or both.

Reno only swears when she knows it'll make the other people in the room uncomfortable because she finds it amusing.

Hemmer only did it once in a while, but it always caught people off-guard so he has a disproportionate reputation.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 28, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Phy posted:

Reminded me of my headcanon for how much the first four engineers swear

:hmmyes:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Scotty's a Scotsman in a manual discipline. The only reason 75% of the words we hear from him aren't swears are down to the universal translator's profanity filter

We have heard “wee laddie” from him a lot, after all…

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
May as well wrap up the full set: Billups literally doesn't know how to swear and Jankem prefers percussive maintenance instead

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
“Jankum Pog” is the only swear word he needs, now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

May as well wrap up the full set: Billups literally doesn't know how to swear and Jankem prefers percussive maintenance instead

No, Billups definitely knows how to swear. It’s just intense purple prose with lots of medieval fantasy allusions. “That’s just dragon’s purple pantaloons!” sounds like nothing to us and would get him dethroned on his home planet.

Also I don’t think we mentioned Torres, who probably collects swear words from friends and colleagues for future use. The next one came from Neelix.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

“Jankum Pog” is the only swear word he needs, now.

I bet you anything that Mantzoukas's outtakes for Prodigy are absolutely filthy when it comes to swears.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

nine-gear crow posted:

Mantzoukas's outtakes for Prodigy

:stare:

Please tell me these exist somewhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Also I don’t think we mentioned Torres, who probably collects swear words from friends and colleagues for future use. The next one came from Neelix.

I did

quote:

Torres emits a monotonous "gently caress, gently caress, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress, goddamnit, poo poo, gently caress" for literal hours and it's honestly terrifying

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 28, 2024

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I would listen to the everliving poo poo out of this

There is that one podcast thingy where some random comedian does "TNG engineering weekly review meetings". Its a hit or miss but some of them are rather funnyish.

No idea who that person is though, they just keep popping on my Reddit feed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

We have heard “wee laddie” from him a lot, after all…

It's the mandated translation for "you little fucker".

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Gaz-L posted:

Trip, however, rarely swears, but does make use of various down-home sayings that sound like euphemisms for swearing, racism, or both.

Reno only swears when she knows it'll make the other people in the room uncomfortable because she finds it amusing.

Hemmer only did it once in a while, but it always caught people off-guard so he has a disproportionate reputation.

Nah, Trip swears like the redneck he is - vigorously and poetically.

Arivia posted:

No, Billups definitely knows how to swear. It’s just intense purple prose with lots of medieval fantasy allusions. “That’s just dragon’s purple pantaloons!” sounds like nothing to us and would get him dethroned on his home planet.

Billups's swearing would should a lot like Shakespeare. Lots of "Zounds!" and "Gods' teeth!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When that hull piece was stuck Billups swore with "Dragon'sblood!".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You could never quite tell if Trip was trying to repair the engine or have sex with it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Atlas Hugged posted:

You could never quite tell if Trip was trying to repair the engine or have sex with it.

Who said anything about “or”?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Who said anything about “or”?

hosed the warp core - Trip, O'Brien, Scotty, Pelia

Fought the warp core - Torres, Jankom, also O'Brien again, Reno

In a healthy platonic relationship with the warp core - Billups, Hemmer

Dumped by the warp core but told he was "a real nice guy" - La Forge

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah sorry I’m blind.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

Billups swears absolutely never... about anything to do with engineering. It's when egos and bureaucracy get in the way of him doing the job he lets loose with a firehose of profanity that would get an approving nod from Dr. T'ana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgfsjKRa2Y

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Yeah sorry I’m blind.

No worries!

nine-gear crow posted:

Of these only Pelia smoked a dart with it after.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I do not want to be forced to imagine a "sexy" version of that accent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Arguably the warp core hit on Geordi. (If you go by the reading that holo-Leah being super horned up for him was actually the Enterprise)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

nine-gear crow posted:

Fought the warp core - Torres, Jankom, also O'Brien again, Reno

In a healthy platonic relationship with the warp core - Billups, Hemmer

:hmmyes:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Arguably the warp core hit on Geordi. (If you go by the reading that holo-Leah being super horned up for him was actually the Enterprise)

I mean that's practically text.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Cartoon_Cookie/status/1763001579849060595

1. Great homage
2. I can’t recall, did the TNG lower deckers take a group photo in the show or did the actors make this as a memento

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Boimler in the tryhard guy’s spot is perfect, as is Mariner in Sito’s.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

That doesn't look like its from the show, probably just a behind the scenes photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I can't wait for the hilarious LDS bloopers, I bet they get into all kinds of hijinks on the set!