Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horizon forbidden west's secondary items menu (traps/potions/etc) is one of the worst i've ever dealt with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Diablo III has sensible equipment dye. It’s just part of the Enchantress NPC UI. No unlocks, have all the colors from go, works piece by piece, infinite use, preview then apply, etc.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SubNat posted:

The only acceptable dye system in games is where you get a dye/skin/effect once, and it unlocks it for unlimited use and application.

Different colors, materials, effects, etc are fun, but most games have terrible systems where you have to buy a bunch of dye and apply it to individual pieces of armor etc. (Often without the ability to even preview the end result.)
If it's not just a menu where I have access to my 'silver, azure, chainmail, animated flaming hot cheetos' colors/effects and can easily assign them to any of my gear then you've all hosed up, devs.

One of the few games I can recall with a system like that was probably Guild Wars 2, where dyes permanently unlocked that color/material for that character, and you could just assign them at will.
This post was sponsored by me remembering how disappointed I was when I bought my first vial of dye in Baldur's Gate 3.

The only acceptable dye system is one where you put your dye in a big cauldron, and then get dropped into it through a trapdoor, thereby dyeing your entire outfit simultaneously.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

The only acceptable dye system in games is where you get a dye/skin/effect once, and it unlocks it for unlimited use and application.

Different colors, materials, effects, etc are fun, but most games have terrible systems where you have to buy a bunch of dye and apply it to individual pieces of armor etc. (Often without the ability to even preview the end result.)
If it's not just a menu where I have access to my 'silver, azure, chainmail, animated flaming hot cheetos' colors/effects and can easily assign them to any of my gear then you've all hosed up, devs.

One of the few games I can recall with a system like that was probably Guild Wars 2, where dyes permanently unlocked that color/material for that character, and you could just assign them at will.
This post was sponsored by me remembering how disappointed I was when I bought my first vial of dye in Baldur's Gate 3.

Terraria has an interesting compromise on this. You have your equipment slots which work like you expect, then you have your cosmetic slots that overwrite the appearance of equipment, and then you have your dye slots. So you Head Equipment Slot holds a <Platinum Great Helm>, your Head Cosmetic Slot holds a <Silk Top-Hat> and your Head Dye Slot holds <Pink Dye>, for a net effect of having platinum-greathelm stats and looking like you're wearing a pink tophat. You can of course move the bottle of dye out of that slot and put it somewhere else if you want to.

(all names imaginary because I can't remember the real ones)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Assassin's Creed III is a game full of good ideas that are implemented poorly, and the UI is no different.

It looks neat and different to have animations on all your buttons (the weapon menu is a radial thing, but it goes to a different screen), the main menu is a spinning ring of options that you have to navigate through, and the crafting menu just stinks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having played The Witcher 2 and Xenoblade 2, what other games have the absolute worst User Interface?
Examples of Bad UI:
  • The map doesn't account for elevation or blocked paths. The cursor points to an impassible mountain range but not the cave mouth that leads the way.

The map in Resident Evil 8 was really bad.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I want to bring up Lost Ark's dye system, to add to dye chat. It has a crazy amount of options. You can change the pattern (dozens of styles from plaid, stripes, clouds, flowers, etc), color, and shine of the individual materials of the outfits.

But only cosmetic outfits can be dyed (and not even all of them), and it requires specific material items. You can only get these materials slowly in limited quantities, unless there's an event going, you whip out your credit card, or you buy them off the auction house.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Everytime i think "maybe i should try a mmo again" i am reminded why thats an absolutely terrible idea

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Feb 28, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ZeusCannon posted:

Everytime i think "maybe i should try a mmo again" i am reminded why thats an absolutely terrible idea

guild wars 2 remains the only good mmo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tomb Raider 3's first Nevada level sucks because of how much it relies on this one massive water basin/river setpiece. Because of the structure of the game and it's save crystal system you often get a new crystal for new setpieces, but given how much the level relies on one location it only has 3 crystals in total, which means that I now have run out and have to do the whole final 2/3rds of the level in one shot. Such a waste of time when you inevitably gently caress up a jump and die.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

BioEnchanted posted:

Tomb Raider 3's first Nevada level sucks because of how much it relies on this one massive water basin/river setpiece. Because of the structure of the game and it's save crystal system you often get a new crystal for new setpieces, but given how much the level relies on one location it only has 3 crystals in total, which means that I now have run out and have to do the whole final 2/3rds of the level in one shot. Such a waste of time when you inevitably gently caress up a jump and die.

Are you playing it on a Playstation? The save crystals were never a thing on PC and I thought every rerelease had done away with them. They sound like agony.

e: I actually had thought save crystals were only in the first game, also.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yes, on playstation. The crystals were I think in the first 3 games, or at least 1 and 3.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't think 2 had them, even on PS1. I'm glad because they definitely sucked.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

The map in Resident Evil 8 was really bad.

It truly was awful in every way

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Meowywitch posted:

guild wars 2 remains the only good mmo

No, City of Heroes is!!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

In terms of UI being the menus and poo poo, I thought Arkham Knight had this awful chrome spinny techno bullshit throughout, with missions even being selected through a huge radial menu for some reason.

Made even worse because Arkham Asylum had one of the most stylishly designed UIs in anything I've ever played. It was black, white and yellow with a really clear comic influenced style, and everything from the map to the character bios had a really cool look. Shame they ditched it for all the sequels.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally beat the first Nevada level. That was a pain but only because of the save crystals, anything else and it would have been fun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s only one good type of crystal and it ain’t save

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oldpainless posted:

There’s only one good type of crystal and it ain’t save

crystal light?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Pepsi

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm glad that modern game design has mostly gotten rid of lives, they were always an annoying concept that did more harm than good

E: you guys know what I mean, but I'm going to leave that the way it is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

I'm glad that modern game design has mostly gotten rid of lives, they were always an annoying concept that did more harm than good

E: you guys know what I mean, but I'm going to leave that the way it is

I do know what you mean, yeah. I have no life thanks to videogames.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Lobok posted:

I do know what you mean, yeah. I have no life thanks to videogames.

Have you tried a mushroom?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Grime is this Metroidvania where parrying is kind of a central part of the mechanics. What's loving obnoxious is that the enemies will generally only attack you when you are in front of them and on the same level. If you're on a slope, or somewhat in front of them, the enemies don't seem to know what to do and will often just run in place or go back and forth very rapidly. You gain abilities by goading enemies to attack so you can parry them, but instead I find myself running around these things like an idiot just trying to entice the fucker to attack me. DON'T JUST STAND THERE I AM THE ENEMY GET WITH IT

edit: got sick of that game and started up on my ex apparently liked, Tales of Bersaria.

She played with the Japanese voices, and I normally would, but I thought this was kind of a shallow game, I don't need to be that immersed in the culture, I'll just play with the English voices.

Every voice sounds exactly like what you imagine an American actor doing a ridiculous impression of an English dub for an anime would sound like. Absolute poo poo. Give me a loving break. I know this is a silly game but christ, can't we hire some ACTUAL VOICE ACTORS to do the roles? The audio quality is also absolute poo poo compared to the Japanese voices. The Japanese voices are (I can't speak Japanese so I really don't know if they're well acted or not) at least cohesive in their quality. No pops, no crackles, no radical different in recording quality / volume. I honestly don't feel like it takes that much more effort and resources to create a decent English cast for a game. It's absolute garbage.

credburn has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Feb 29, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Vamp boss fight in MGS2 is ticking me off. It's such a terrible idea to have the center of the arena be an instdeath pool that you can fall into, with no chance of recovery if you're moving faster than a crawl. And because Vamp is in the water for half the fight, you have to be standing next to it a lot to improve your chances of shooting him, but because you're constantly flipping the perspective between the overhead camera and first-person aiming, it's easy to dash right in by mistake when you're trying to dodge him. He's not even hitting me much, I just keep getting so far into the fight but then falling in by mistake :negative:

e: and of course on my next try, I won by deciding I'm just going to stand in one place and exclusively fire rockets at him :madmax:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Feb 29, 2024

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Vamp boss fight in MGS2 is ticking me off. It's such a terrible idea to have the center of the arena be an instdeath pool that you can fall into, with no chance of recovery if you're moving faster than a crawl. And because Vamp is in the water for half the fight, you have to be standing next to it a lot to improve your chances of shooting him, but because you're constantly flipping the perspective between the overhead camera and first-person aiming, it's easy to dash right in by mistake when you're trying to dodge him. He's not even hitting me much, I just keep getting so far into the fight but then falling in by mistake :negative:

e: and of course on my next try, I won by deciding I'm just going to stand in one place and exclusively fire rockets at him :madmax:

Yeah, I could always get away with just firing missiles at him for ages on the medium-lower difficulties. I never had enough ammo on hard/extreme and I wasn't very efficient with my shots, so that often meant it came down to the more standard knife vs gun fight, which was definitely trickier (this also made it easier to gently caress up and somersault into the instant death pool). Funnily enough, I seem to remember Fatman being a more aggravating boss fight for me on hard/extreme though (also I don't think I even beat Solidus on extreme).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think shooting a grenade or whatever into the water when he's in there gets him out pretty quickly if you're going for a stamina boss finish, but Vamp and Fatman are both incredibly annoying especially at the higher difficulties in MGS2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The thing dragging the new Splatoon single player DLC down? The central gameplay design :sigh:

It's basically a rougelite type of setup, where you're going up a tower and completing a varying challenge room on each floor, while collecting various bonuses for health/armor/etc along the way. It's got great style and charm, the powerups seem fine, I'm just not interested in actually playing the darn thing.

Outside of the bosses, the rooms are based on variations of five(?) basic activities, usually with some type of spawning horde coming after you. That's already my least favorite type of challenge for single player, and none of the rooms I've hit have grabbed me. They've all been either super fast to win or boring dealing with the spawns. It feels like it says a lot that I put in some time the day it came out, and it took getting temporarily getting kicked from multiplayer due to connection issues for me to eventually go back and give it another try. Definitely not the mindset I want to have for a game style that aims for grindy replayability.

Mostly I just feel bad because I threw $25 at it sight unseen, never even considering that it might not be like all their other single player campaigns. Oh well, at least the new co-op map seems like a winner, I've already had so much more fun on it this afternoon than the DLC.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mostly I just feel bad because I threw $25 at it sight unseen, never even considering that it might not be like all their other single player campaigns.

A lot of people did this in the Splatoon community, and I know I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Dead Island 2 and it is kind of dumb that you don't start finding ranged weapons until the bit in the story that introduces them. Like I would understand if they were rare and only dropped from certain enemies/spots but nope. As soon as you do the mission that gives you a gun you start finding random ranged weapons out in the world.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Dead Island 2 and it is kind of dumb that you don't start finding ranged weapons until the bit in the story that introduces them. Like I would understand if they were rare and only dropped from certain enemies/spots but nope. As soon as you do the mission that gives you a gun you start finding random ranged weapons out in the world.

The alternative would give you the equally-stupid moment when the NPC starts talking about how we need guns and we should go here and do a thing to get guns while the player is "....I've got guns. An entire inventory full of guns. Here, have some."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Like A Dragon 8 I guess mostly a minor thing, but it’s kind of annoying there’s no way to set stickers on the map for noteworthy stuff like honk-honk people, people you can invite to Dondoko Island that have super high personality requirements, and minibosses. I’m pretty sure the overworld minibosses respawn post-Chapter 8, plus the ones in Kiryu’s main town have the drops for the items you make the ultimate generic job weapons with, but you’re not gonna be able to defeat all of them when you first find them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Other games do it, but I'm going to say FF7Rebirth for the forced slow walking.
I get that sometimes it's done for narrative purposes, but there are a lot of times where Cloud will start walking at a snail's pace just because he's indoors or something.
Like yeah, I get it, you wouldn't be jogging through a crowded hotel hallway in the real world, but this is a videogame, I don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to cross the street, especially not when there's a lot of ground to explore.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

but my immersion

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The level design's not too bad, it's kind of fun to explore, but the Pacific Island levels in Tomb Raider 3 are super racist.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BioEnchanted posted:

The level design's not too bad, it's kind of fun to explore, but the Pacific Island levels in Tomb Raider 3 are super racist.

how?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lotta guys in grass huts with spears and headdresses.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Lotta guys in grass huts with spears and headdresses.

Those are "cannibals" according to all media from the 90s

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

the_steve posted:

Other games do it, but I'm going to say FF7Rebirth for the forced slow walking.
I get that sometimes it's done for narrative purposes, but there are a lot of times where Cloud will start walking at a snail's pace just because he's indoors or something.
Like yeah, I get it, you wouldn't be jogging through a crowded hotel hallway in the real world, but this is a videogame, I don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to cross the street, especially not when there's a lot of ground to explore.

I recently played the first FF7 remake and far, far too much of that game is padding like slow walk, crawling, squeezing through tight spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

kazil posted:

I recently played the first FF7 remake and far, far too much of that game is padding like slow walk, crawling, squeezing through tight spaces.

Wonder how much of that is to hide loading.