Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like it would work if the faux-retrofuturism was limited to the inside and its meant to be confusing, but the production designers couldnt loving help themselves and had to drag it into the outside world as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

32-pixel-wide sprites that scale and rotate smoothly all over the screen independent of any pixel grid

24-bit full colour. 160x90 resolution

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

more retrofuturist stuff should pull the brazil maneuver of just having magnifying glasses over crts

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Severance is only retro-futuristic on the severed floor, the outside is perfectly normal.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
severance season 2 is going to suck so bad. the last couple episodes made it obvious that the writers didn’t understand what was interesting about the premise

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it went from a meditative examination of consciousness and the alienation of working class under the capitalist ethic to a middle aged middle manager doing delicate brain surgery with a power drill to retrieve proprietary corporate tech in the middle of a viewing and delegating black ops missions to her subordinate. ok man

e: also the "twist" where homegirl is the boss' daughter was so telegraphed and a boring development in any case

indigi fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 27, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

the writers didn’t understand what was interesting about the premise

i feel like this describes around 100% of prestige tv over the last decade or two.

"you know what people want in this tv show about what if the space race never ended? the world's dumbest roughneck becomes a black market underwear dealer!"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 27, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Otis B. Driftwood: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.

Fiorello: You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Claus!

---/

Otis B. Driftwood: Don't you know what duplicates are?

Fiorello: Sure, those five kids up in Canada.

Otis B. Driftwood: Well, I wouldn't know about that; I haven't been in Canada in years.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 27, 2024

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

indigi posted:

severance season 2 is going to suck so bad. the last couple episodes made it obvious that the writers didn’t understand what was interesting about the premise

from the sounds of it, ben stiller is the reason season 1 was good, so if he can wrangle their 'wouldn't it be spooky if [weird unconnected thing]' tendencies again… but rumors were there was tensions before the writers' strike. honestly, it'd be better to dump anyone suggesting spooky or wacky twists and get fresh writers for season 2

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

if they really wanted to make it a publicity stunt they would have given her a cushy job on the inside, not one of the lowly grunts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah even if you manage to swallow the stupid idea that one of the ruling capital dynasty would knowingly and relentlessly subject themselves to the depredations forced upon their workers, the idea that she'd have herself placed in a department that apparently has enough suicide attempts to require specific tech solutions and wouldn't have a handler every moment of every day or even a dedicated CCTV monitor, is... incomprehensibly dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

32-pixel-wide sprites that scale and rotate smoothly all over the screen independent of any pixel grid

oh my god

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/tnyfrontrow/status/1762289237901406546?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The 'tnyfrontrow' refers to this guy's frontal lobe.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is he wrong? functional is perfectly fine for the types of movies he usually makes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i genuinely have no idea what that guy means?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'using images to communicate in a visual medium instead of words? must be a skill issue'

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

without checking, I assume that guy loves marvel films. especially the joss ones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

distortion park posted:

i genuinely have no idea what that guy means?
dune isn't my dinner with andre or a woody allen movie

there's this weird thing in a medium where some people think there's exactly one right way to do things in a creative medium and it's usually just elitist gatekeeper bullshit

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1762154513547366722

jokes on him, Nolan has been doing this for years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

distortion park posted:

jokes on him, Nolan has been doing this for years
yeah but unlike nolan he just has less dialog instead of blasting over it with weird noises

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao. yeah, movies have never been quoted ad nauseum for decades, we all just sit around and remember the images with no way to communicate them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the virgin Villeneuve: removes dialog from a scene that doesn't need it.

the chad Nolan: keeps dialog in a scene that doesn't need it, but makes it inaudible.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
saw the 70mm Tenet. still dig it.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Alain Delon: Police seize 72 guns from French film star's home

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the guy was the star of le samourai, let him keep his guns

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Agile Vector posted:

without checking, I assume that guy loves marvel films. especially the joss ones

no he very openly hates them but he wrote an amazing article about how episodes two and three showcase lucas' amazing directorial prowess. hes an amazing troll

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bump_fn posted:

no he very openly hates them but he wrote an amazing article about how episodes two and three showcase lucas' amazing directorial prowess. hes an amazing troll

holy moly, that's a masterwork bit of game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dunc double feature 2nite

absolutely psyched

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
dune peaks best dune

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dunc 1 was fantastic by the way, those imax desert shots are real stunners

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dunc 2: also an absolute banger, now i gotta go get some sleep

Feb 25, 2024

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

lmao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ah yes the little-known charlie and the chocolate factory prequel by h. p. lovecraft

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just thought of something else- isn't willy wonka still protected ip? so in addition to all the angry customers they may have some good ol corporate lawyers descending down on them as well

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

ah yes the little-known charlie and the chocolate factory prequel by h. p. lovecraft

the cyclopean chocolate ziggurat rose steeply before me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
rip richard lewis :(