Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
stocks are so back baby, S&P 500 all time high here we go yeeeeeehaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

pixaal posted:

So is / was CISCO have you checked their chart going back to 2000 when they were at their All time high they still haven't matched?

It took CISCO a year to bottom out after reaching their all time high. Even their terminal drop from the $60s to $15 took more than half a year, from August 2000 to April 2001. I'm not trying to top tick here so I think I'll be okay selling on the way down.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

UnfurledSails posted:

It took CISCO a year to bottom out after reaching their all time high. Even their terminal drop from the $60s to $15 took more than half a year, from August 2000 to April 2001. I'm not trying to top tick here so I think I'll be okay selling on the way down.

And SMCI is moving 20-30% per day. Not comparable in the slightest.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Who’s buying into Reddit: https://redditforcommunity.com/directed-share-program

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Decent video on some recent talk around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrpehxDjIA

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xgalaxy posted:

Decent video on some recent talk around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrpehxDjIA

I haven't watched anything from Tasty in over a year, I remember not really jiving with Tom's trading strategy but he does seem to understand market mechanics from what I remember should have time to watch at lunch thanks.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

UnfurledSails posted:

Unlike GME SMCI is a profitable company that makes things. I'm happy riding the current momentum and won't sell until the craze dies off and stays dead for several months.

so is it literally just Reddit meme bullshit or is there some slight inclination that there's some degree of fundamentals there?

e: im not going to touch this poop

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2024

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

hosed up, emerging from this entire NVDA/SMCI mess at a handsome profit.

Anway, buying calls on 3/15 U across a spread, July Indonesia 21C EIDO, May Turkey 36C TUR

Going long on KMTUY (using Benjamin Graham filters recommended in other thread)

GramCracker posted:

so is it literally just Reddit meme bullshit or is there some slight inclination that there's some degree of fundamentals there?

e: im not going to touch this poop

Volatility is well-priced in by now. The jig is up

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

These next few weeks perhaps a flatting out of the market, where gains flow to other non-tech sectors?

(RSP up but SPY flat or down)

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 24, 2024

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thinking about going in long on some KDP when things open up tomorrow

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) has decided to go up last May and has not stopped going up since. Wild.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Wendy’s is going to introduce surge pricing going forward. Bet that as you will.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
In front of or behind the dumpster?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Wendy’s is going to introduce surge pricing going forward. Bet that as you will.

https://x.com/KlendathuCap/status/1762272736653840474?s=20

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Femtosecond posted:

I have to imagine that Apple is doing something here but just doing it their own way and quietly.

If I found out they were genuinely wait and see and doing nothing around ML and LLM I dunno man I think I'd be moving out of my Apple positions.

I think Apple will be happy to sit back and watch, sit on a bunch of advances they are making internally until they are sure that they have a feature that is useful to their users.

Just releasing some sort of experimental stuff because everyone else is and they gotta be out there too is very un-Apple.

https://www.ft.com/content/387c446c-55e0-4f54-a4b4-80bf9d5bc2f3

Apple shareholders also extremely curious what Apple is doing about AI

edit: sorry realized FT is paywalled:

quote:

Two large Apple investors are seeking more information about the company’s artificial intelligence risks as tech companies’ ambitions in the fast-growing sector face mounting investor scrutiny.
Norges Bank Investment Management and Legal & General, Apple’s eighth and 10th-largest shareholders respectively, have said they will support a resolution at the iPhone maker’s annual shareholder meeting on Wednesday that asks the company to report about AI in its business operations.
The shareholder proposal asks the company to “disclose any ethical guidelines that the company has adopted regarding [its] use of AI technology”.
US technology giants have faced a growing number of questions about their AI development as they spend billions of dollars to compete in the emerging sector. In January, the US Federal Trade Commission issued information demands to Alphabet, Amazon and Microsoft for details about their partnerships with generative AI companies. Last year, the US and UK unveiled efforts to scrutinise AI development.
Some Big Tech investors have expressed concerns. At Microsoft’s annual meeting in December, 21 per cent of the company’s shareholders supported a resolution demanding more information about risks posed by misinformation generated and disseminated through AI.
Although most shareholder petitions in the US are non-binding, support from 30 per cent or more of investors typically pushes companies to act.
Norges, which runs the world’s biggest sovereign wealth fund, said in its voting disclosures that Apple’s board should account for “social consequences of its operations and products”.
LGIM said Apple “discloses very little about its approach to managing AI-related risks”.
“We met with the company to discuss these topics, and it did not commit to increasing transparency and disclosures around AI at this time,” LGIM said. “Apple should be transparent in their uses of AI and their risk management processes.”
Institutional Shareholder Services, the largest investor advisory firm, has also recommended Apple’s investors support the AI resolution. The tech group’s existing guidelines “do not specifically identify the potential risks resulting from the use of AI” raised in the shareholder proposal, ISS said. Given the company’s lack of disclosure, “there are concerns regarding shareholders’ ability to properly evaluate the risks associated with the use of AI”.
Apple has urged investors to reject the resolution. “The scope of the requested report is overly broad and could encompass disclosure of strategic plans and initiatives harmful to our competitive position,” it said in its annual meeting disclosures.
The proposal was submitted by the AFL-CIO, the US’s largest trade union federation. The Sunday Times first reported LGIM’s backing of the proposal.
Apple declined further comment.
Apple chief executive Tim Cook said during the company’s latest earnings call that it plans to announce new details about its work in AI later this year.
The iPhone maker has been quietly working on large language models, the technology that powers generative AI products such as OpenAI’s ChatGPT, as competitors including Samsung and Google roll out their own AI-enabled smartphones. It has unveiled new chips that will enhance AI capabilities on its devices, and has been hiring staff to work on deep learning as well as acquiring smaller companies in the space.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apple just announced they're dropping their iCar electric vehicle initiative this morning, too

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Does this mean my 2AM order will be cheaper? No? well this is stupid then.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have another prediction I'm probably going to throw money at once the numbers settle.

I suspect there is some money to be made on reddit's IPO...off of Puts.

We'll see where the numbers land, but I'd imagine reddit is going to go into this super overvalued (as in, over $10b) and if 3 - 6 month contracts are cheap enough, I'm making my bet there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that puts are going to be very expensive

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible to short the reddit IPO before it's listed

Seems like having the reddit ticker on your exchange error be a huge blow to your reputation

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Apple just announced they're dropping their iCar electric vehicle initiative this morning, too

could have told you this a couple years ago

source: live in a part of silicon valley with a ton of AV testing. probably peaked sometime around 2018-2021. it used to be hard to go even a day without seeing at least one test vehicle. havent seen any apple vehicles in a long while

for those who live in the area, this was one of the most common apple AV test platforms:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

drk posted:

could have told you this a couple years ago

source: live in a part of silicon valley with a ton of AV testing. probably peaked sometime around 2018-2021. it used to be hard to go even a day without seeing at least one test vehicle. havent seen any apple vehicles in a long while

for those who live in the area, this was one of the most common apple AV test platforms:

I've lived here since 2016 and literally never seen one of those.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

I've lived here since 2016 and literally never seen one of those.

Same. Maybe it was localized to Santa Clara or something.

I remember sharing the roads with the "cute" Google cars, and nearly been run over by a handful of Cruz cars pushing a stroller, and of course Google is very active with waymo in the city, hard not to see one these days near soma

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Also, to be clear: I'm not saying "nuh uh they weren't around" I'm more just marveling at never having seen something so loving hideous around here, while surrounded by Waymos and Cybertruck Betas. That unit on top is incredible.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Beyond Meat reported $-0.92 EPS (-$0.88 estimated). jumped 60% overnight.

Good news is bullish, bad news is also bullish (short squeeze target).

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
The pelosis just invested in PANW, does anyone know anything about this stock ?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Application layer 0-day exploit detection/behavioral prediction and hardware/cloud firewall service provider.

It took a hit on missed expectations as a result of a strategy shift during a Generative AI / LLM hype cycle that's lifting every other IT infrastructure and semiconductor stock.

They are also headquartered down the road, so to speak.

My wireshark instructor from college loved their hardware, but I haven't run into it myself in the wild yet. I work for a Fortune 50 that just switched to their VPN, though.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

thetan_guy42 posted:

They bought deep in the money calls according to the unusual whales twitter account, which is leverage and putting a relatively small amount of capital on a bet the price goes steadily up.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

thetan_guy42 posted:

It's a cyber sec firm. Probably positioned-well to make a killing off the AI boom/bubble.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Another cybersec firm is OKTA, which surged 20% after earnings. Cool to see a ticker regain momentum after having its bubble popped so brutally in 2022.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

KODAK (KODK) jumps today when "AI" is mentioned. Nano-X Imaging Ltd (NNOX) jumped as well when news came out Nvidia owns some shares. Everything's fine... Come on $GOON! Get on the AI train, we're counting on you!

Lets do a Honey Badger Media check, yep website still up, looks like they are using AI images now. Honey badger in spacesuit. Fantastic. Great business. Vinco Ventures (BBIG) parent company doing just wonderful at 0.01/share now on the OTC. Good move, who needs Nasdaq anyway? $130,000 can now buy you the entire company, new owners gets to walk into an empty building with a wastebasket full of ashes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

if we're doing the retrospective, how's NOK these days? still safe as houses?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ARTPUP posted:

KODAK (KODK) jumps today when "AI" is mentioned. Nano-X Imaging Ltd (NNOX) jumped as well when news came out Nvidia owns some shares. Everything's fine... Come on $GOON! Get on the AI train, we're counting on you!

Lets do a Honey Badger Media check, yep website still up, looks like they are using AI images now. Honey badger in spacesuit. Fantastic. Great business. Vinco Ventures (BBIG) parent company doing just wonderful at 0.01/share now on the OTC. Good move, who needs Nasdaq anyway? $130,000 can now buy you the entire company, new owners gets to walk into an empty building with a wastebasket full of ashes.

KODK did that same pump scam years ago but by saying "blockchain". How are these idiots still here?

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

mrmcd posted:

KODK did that same pump scam years ago but by saying "blockchain". How are these idiots still here?

Also creating Kodak Pharma in an attempt to secure a huge government loan at the start of Covid, skyrocketing the share price.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

UnfurledSails posted:

Another cybersec firm is OKTA, which surged 20% after earnings. Cool to see a ticker regain momentum after having its bubble popped so brutally in 2022.

Is the bump related to a federal agency decree that all single sign-on must use Okta SSO and all local apps with local accounts must also migrate to Okta?

Also SSO migration must happen fast no additional details or time for questions.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

boy this market sure is booming and we haven't even started to cut rates yet...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Femtosecond posted:

it's priced in op

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Femtosecond posted:

you gotta buy now because if you wait for any actual news of rate cuts it'll be too late

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
or the fed delays because fundamentals remain stronger than expected and everything drops for a week. womp womp

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

you gotta buy now because if you wait for any actual news of rate cuts it'll be too late

That's priced in too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
What the hell caused that Nvidia spike? I thought the earnings report jump was done with already?

My extremely deep OTM call is flying lol