Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I was just wondering when we'd see Ubel again, glad to see the answer is "now"

edit: Link to new chapter on last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

shes so slay

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the virgin stark thinking he’d be cut to pieces by sense / the chad ubel believing she could slice serie

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

lmao Ubel/Land is less a ship at this point and more just text.

Poor Stark, being bullied even when he's done nothing wrong.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that’s not true. he called frieren an old hag once

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The first half of this chapter feels very out of place, like it was shoehorned in to capitalize on the anime. Glad to see some characters coming back though, and this is an interesting setup for the next big arc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It was a very sweet moment when Frieren was smiling at Stark not denying he could wreck them close range. She's proud of his development. :3:

panko posted:

the virgin stark thinking he’d be cut to pieces by sense / the chad ubel believing she could slice serie

I'm kinda curious, could Stark beat mages by utilizing Ubel's weaponized stupidity technique? Like, magic in this world is based heavily on belief/visualization, which is how Ubel is such a deadly match against stuff like Sense's hair based attacks, but Stark barely knows anything about magic, so could he cut through stuff like Sense's hair or that one dude's magic cloak using the same principle of "well duh, of course an axe can cut through that"

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TwoPair posted:

It was a very sweet moment when Frieren was smiling at Stark not denying he could wreck them close range. She's proud of his development. :3:

I'm kinda curious, could Stark beat mages by utilizing Ubel's weaponized stupidity technique? Like, magic in this world is based heavily on belief/visualization, which is how Ubel is such a deadly match against stuff like Sense's hair based attacks, but Stark barely knows anything about magic, so could he cut through stuff like Sense's hair or that one dude's magic cloak using the same principle of "well duh, of course an axe can cut through that"

Helps when you can already cleave through mountains too. Though I always half-assume that warriors are basically physical mages in a lot of these stories where they can keep up to degrees as superhumans.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't tell if the dialogue is incredibly stiff due to the translation or they just talk like that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I mean the issue with visualization is very much a mage one - since Stark's very first appearance was him killing a dragon he 100% thought he couldn't kill. That said warriors clearly have something going on under the hood because Stark is "a normal human" who took a demon's axe blow to the torso and it barely cut him at all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

lunar detritus posted:

I can't tell if the dialogue is incredibly stiff due to the translation or they just talk like that.
It's the same group but I don't remember them wording things so stiffly in the past, weird.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sindai posted:

It's the same group but I don't remember them wording things so stiffly in the past, weird.

Yeah, I clicked to see if it was a different group because the tl is suddenly very archaic and portentous.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The dialogue didn’t seem any different to me, but I’m reading the official version.

Frieren’s on break next week btw

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, just so people know, you can get this and quite a few other good series like Komi-san and Sleepy Princess same-day on the Viz app for $2/month.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

what, do you want the sick mom to starve?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe it’s just me but it feels like Land won’t survive this arc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

I feel like whether he does or not, there will definitely be a reveal where we find out that Ubel figured him/his spell out and has been using a clone for a while now.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I clicked to see if it was a different group because the tl is suddenly very archaic and portentous.

pretentious

the mangadex translation has been like this for a while, i'd say. the viz translation (the official one, i assume) is different and tends to be less awkward

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
All that BS back at the First Class Mage exam, and now she wants them to protect her?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I'm really enjoying all these mage exam characters coming back. I think the mage exam did a well enough job establishing all of them and seeing them come back and have payoff has been really quite fun. Doubly so since the anime is right in the thick of it.

So far we've seen Methode and Genau, Denken (Laufen should have been there too), and now Ubel, Land, and Sense (and that other guy who drank tea with Genau once). Super excited to see characters like Wirbel and his gang come back, as well as Kanne and Lawine.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Don't Bully Me, Miss Ubel

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I wonder why the (presumably) Shadow Warriors are the ones that want to hit Serie. Last chapter we only just found out that Frieren is supposed to be the last one on their list.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

I wonder why the (presumably) Shadow Warriors are the ones that want to hit Serie. Last chapter we only just found out that Frieren is supposed to be the last one on their list.

I think it's more that the Empire uses shadow warriors, shadow warriors would stand a reasonable chance of killing a monster of a mage, and the Empire is implied to want her gone but she's a notorious recluse so there'd be little point putting her on a list of travellers to assassinate on the hush hush

So basically, its not that the shadow warriors don't have a hit out on Serie, more that that particular detachment stood no realistic chance of running into her so why put her on the ostensibly completable list

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RuBisCO posted:

on that list, which was assigned to that one group so long ago that they (almost) all died by the time frieren came back around

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I'm glad they're kind of filling in the lore here and making the world make sense. Way back from the Aura arc I wondered why any party needed warriors anyway. It seemed like two Frierens, two Ferns, and a Heiter would've been able to take down anything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

I'm glad they're kind of filling in the lore here and making the world make sense. Way back from the Aura arc I wondered why any party needed warriors anyway. It seemed like two Frierens, two Ferns, and a Heiter would've been able to take down anything.

I mean they established why they needed a warrior way back with the first dragon. You need someone who can tank hits that would leave other members as red smears so that way everyone else can do their job.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Helps when you can already cleave through mountains too. Though I always half-assume that warriors are basically physical mages in a lot of these stories where they can keep up to degrees as superhumans.

this has been my assumption too, esp. with the various demon magic warriors we see

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Hunt11 posted:

I mean they established why they needed a warrior way back with the first dragon. You need someone who can tank hits that would leave other members as red smears so that way everyone else can do their job.

yeah. there's also additional bits like when they fought grisaum. frieren is 100% unequivocally unable to fight back against him because of her constant mana usage and awareness, himmel is able to fight while literally mentally in another realm because his physical senses are heightened to the extreme

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah warriors are canonically really op, that's been shown many times

a lot of people (in other places) were upset at the notion that the shadow warrior guy might be capable of killing frieren, absent the intervention of her party members. but frieren without all her fancy magic is basically just a relatively frail tiny elf. She stands no chance in a knife fight with the kind of person that can smash a giant rent in a cliff with an axe swing or survive getting hit by building-size monsters with little inconvenience

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 28, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

RuBisCO posted:

They aren't here to kill Serie; they're here to kill Frieren. Serie just heard it through the grapevine that the elf they'd been waiting to kill for forever finally showed up and naturally assumed they were talking about her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah in the past Arc Rivale struck me as the most dangerous of the Greater Demons attacking and he’s supposed to be the greatest Demon Warrior. Would not be shocked if his personal Demon Magic was like an anti magic field so he has to be fought as a warrior.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

maybe the Empire is run by demons

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
That first half seemed really tacked on because of the anime

TwoPair posted:

I feel like whether he does or not, there will definitely be a reveal where we find out that Ubel figured him/his spell out and has been using a clone for a while now.

I'm gonna bet Serie is gonna use that clone magic to fake out the assassins

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 28, 2024

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Everything coming up LostRook theory-wise.

RatHat posted:

I think Serie is the most in danger.

tbp posted:

yeah. there's also additional bits like when they fought grisaum. frieren is 100% unequivocally unable to fight back against him because of her constant mana usage and awareness, himmel is able to fight while literally mentally in another realm because his physical senses are heightened to the extreme

Which makes Grausam showing up here a strong possibility. He represents the greatest threat to the unparalleled mage. What information could he have gleaned from Frieren's mind that actually matters? The existence of Serie the head of the Continental Magic Association seems like a possibility.

Based on characters we've seen thus far my guess for most likely to be Grausam in disguise is Falsch, the first-class mage with glasses, for no reason other than having a name meaning false though I admit it's rather flimsy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scallop Eyes posted:

Ehh, they were going to come back in the manga eventually. Several of the others already did.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Scallop Eyes posted:

[spoiler] I'm gonna bet Serie is gonna use that clone magic to fake out the assassins [/spoilers]

Sometimes it just works out that way. The episode with the ring and the chapter where they showed Himmel's dream was marrying Frieren came out at like the same time too

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

Ubel's introduction was exactly the same, just a sudden cut to her doing stuff out of nowhere. IIRC, I don't think any other character received a treatment like that(twice!), so I am really wondering what the author is cooking with Ubel long-term.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ubel's introduction was exactly the same, just a sudden cut to her doing stuff out of nowhere. IIRC, I don't think any other character received a treatment like that(twice!), so I am really wondering what the author is cooking with Ubel long-term.

Well when she first appeared it was right after Frieren was talking about the 11 Mages that defeated her and how 6 were human.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I will laugh my rear end off if this manga ends with Ubel killing Frieien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My pet theory is that there's a martial arts system comparable to the magic system that's never just been brought up or explored because the majority of the party has always been magic-focused. It'll be a payoff for the "wandering masters stopping by to teach Stark" cutaway gags.