Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I'm dying. What is that even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I feel like the first red flag wasn't that he was cast as Willy Wonka but that they had to cast Willy Wonka at all. Leading role seems like the kind of thing one of the event runners should be doing, not some random person hired with the rest of the local talent.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm dying. What is that even.

The Elder

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meth Lab Oompa Loompa speaks out

https://twitter.com/jam_etc_art/status/1762645906560586053?t=GbaTL6AdL5CC2hmiShbeFw&s=19

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

We are not affiliated with this "Dick Bone" person

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wonka in sham🅱️les

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This lady kicks rear end and is completely right. I hope she books better gigs after this, ones not run by weird AI Bro con artists who hose everyone involved and abscond with whatever money they can swindle out of people.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13131605/willy-wonka-scam-embarrassed-actress-memorise-ai-script-not-paid.html

It's even more funny now that all of the stories from the staff are trickling out. The actors were all horrified and saddened as they are memorizing 15 page AI scripts and handing out single jelly beans to crying children

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

little did anyone know, Fyre Festival was actually years ahead of its time

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

quote:

It was horrendously embarrassing. We didn't want to walk out just because I feel like that would make it even worse. 'When we arrived we were handed a script to learn in 12 hours or something like that.

'We arrived for a dress rehearsal on the Friday evening, and were handed a script for the Saturday and Sunday - it wasn't planned out at all.

'There was meant to be a live performance of Willy Wonka taking the children through the factory. The script - I showed it to my partner - and we think it was AI generated.

'There were parts in the script where we thought oh that sounds really good, because there were supposed to be interactive elements. There was a bit in the script where it was like if you touch the grass it will start laughing, and you thought oh so it's got sensors in it, that will be really cool.

'There were supposed to be bubble machines, there were supposed to be projectors, there was supposed to be so much more that was promised.'

quote:

At one point they told us just get rid of the script, there’s no show anymore, just have people walk through, and I think that’s when it kind of fell off a cliff.

'We were kind of in the actual set itself […] and then when you got to the end of that there was a kind of seating area and so I think that’s when people had gone through the set and passed us - that’s when they kind of thought, oh, is that it? And that’s when I think it hit a lot of families who were like oh okay this isn’t what we signed up for at all.

'The bouncy castle even I think it could only fit like twelve children on it, and there were hundreds of children there.

'I think they were charging people for food - the sweets that they were promised.

'They ran out of sweets. We were told actually in the script we were given that the Oompa Loompas were supposed to be given like big baskets of sweets to like hand out. But when we got there we were like okay what sweets - we can’t just have people come in and like just look at us.

'We were just told to improvise - improvise a story or just grab some Pick N Mix. So we were actually given like little paper bags of Pick N Mix to hand out. It wasn’t right. We tried our best, I think all of the actors did the best and what we could, but obviously there’s only so much you can do l.'

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

The Scots have such a beautiful language

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Local member of Oompa Loompa Union branch #459 expresses disapproval at event using scabs

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

N. Senada posted:

The Scots have such a beautiful language

I studied abroad in Glasgow and I couldn't understand a single loving thing those people said. It lead to many awkward social interactions

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

We are not affiliated with this "Dick Bone" person

the house of illiminat posted:

I am truly sorry for any upset and disappointment caused at the weekend.

It's like this guy is only capable of communicating through AI. Oh god, is this actually chatgpt, clawing it's way into sentience and taking revenge on it's cruel human creators?

I hope meth lab oompa loompa is able to turn her 15 minutes of fame into something positive for herself. Maybe get a real acting gig or childrens entertainer or whatever she's into. Maybe in some brighter future she can be handing out three, sometimes as many as four jellybeans at a time to children.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The guy behind it stole Christmas in 2021.

quote:

Mr Coull has a chequered history in the event industry and was previously criticised for cancelling a Santa's grotto event in 2021 after toys and gifts had been donated. 

His Gowanbank Hub cancelled the scheduled event due to concerns over the Omicron virus and claims he and his team were 'distraught.' 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nta-grotto.html

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leave to the British to have a literal serial whimsy thief on the loose.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's a scam that's been popping up in some form or another since at least 2017: put on an event with a load of Facebook adverts that don't demonstrate anything tangible but get people to impulse-buy tickets, overpromise and then deliver the absolute bare minimum. I first saw it in the form of a cheese festival that didn't have any cheese, but there were a load of similar food festivals aping it.

AI is only going to make it easier to pull this off because it lets you give the impression of having something when you don't. Having a script written by AI as well lets you also con a load of actors into thinking you're a coherent production and leave them holding the bag on the day.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whybird posted:

It's a scam that's been popping up in some form or another since at least 2017: put on an event with a load of Facebook adverts that don't demonstrate anything tangible but get people to impulse-buy tickets, overpromise and then deliver the absolute bare minimum. I first saw it in the form of a cheese festival that didn't have any cheese, but there were a load of similar food festivals aping it.

They did have some Camembert, but it was way too runny and then the cat ate it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Taking my kids to the Willy Wonka Warehouse Bar.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

They did have some Camembert, but it was way too runny and then the cat ate it

Has he?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cartoon Man posted:

Taking my kids to the Willy Wonka Warehouse Bar.

Excuse me, you mean Willys, a distinct intellectual property, warehouse bar of pure imagination. You have to imagine the booze because it's gone. No refunds for drink tickets.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm sure the kids and parents mostly had a bad time, and the actors, and probably other folks too. BUT, I think it's fair to say millions of other people have had some solid laughs about this, so, you know, alls well that ends well, or something.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not gonna lie, this would make one hell of a Roald Dahl story. Silly Billy’s Jammy Whammy Scam.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
In the book however it would be blamed on some non-European ethnic group being scammers. Or the Roma.

In the movie they use the silver face Elder holding a mirror

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

It could always be worse - I once knew a guy who showed his ‘chocolate factory’ to a group of kids and he got ten years for it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Bencouvy/status/1762709047038349688?t=aOilJBExgXFnh6lq22nwWw&s=19

This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/angrypiln/status/1762814370193576062

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

It's the flagrant false advertising that gets me. I want to see these fuckers sued, and try and defend this poo poo in court, and lose.

They absolutely should be sued, but at the same time, Buyer Beware. I kind of don't feel sorry for the parents who bought tickets to an event advertised as Encherining and Catgacating Entertainment, with cartchy tuns and exarserdray lollipops.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
For awhile I thought everything this guy put out was written by an AI, but I finally found a video in one of the news articles of him just talking, trying to sell his lovely financial books and no, the nonsense grammar isn't an AI, he's just very Scottish.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They might have told everyone this was Willy Wonka, but it seems more like The Producers.

naem
May 29, 2011

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Encherining and Catgacating Entertainment, with cartchy tuns and exarserdray lollipops.

it does sound exactly like drunken gargling if you say it out loud

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
i dont see what the problem is. most of the kids in the movie famously had a bad time at willy wonka's factory

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'd love to know where this warehouse is, I can't see it being anywhere but a grim industrial estate.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

isn't this just how they talk in Scotland though

e:f,b

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I'd love to know where this warehouse is, I can't see it being anywhere but a grim industrial estate.

it's a magical place of wonder and whimsy

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

It's the flagrant false advertising that gets me. I want to see these fuckers sued, and try and defend this poo poo in court, and lose. That would be beautiful.

Like the case in Canada of a chatbot :airquote:lying:airquote: about company policy. The company was taken to court trying to claim that they weren't responsible for what the chatbot says and don't need to honour it, and they lost.

Air Canada also tried to claim they're not responsible for what any of their agents say. :allears:

quote:

"Air Canada argues it cannot be held liable for information provided by one of its agents, servants, or representatives—including a chatbot," Rivers wrote. "It does not explain why it believes that is the case" or "why the webpage titled 'Bereavement travel' was inherently more trustworthy than its chatbot."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TrashMammal posted:

the blind ones

Do parents of blind kids save a ton of money by taking them to regular parks and describing zoo animals and clowns and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bitterandtwisted posted:

it's a magical place of wonder and whimsy

Yes! City of Culture, 1990!