Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

love it when poo poo just gets hectic

https://i.imgur.com/L0g6cg2.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Griz posted:

if lock-on actually worked then the issue of it only having 4 shots AND needing a backpack would be even more annoying

It's fine. It's beyond easy to kill titans with it. If it didn't have a backpack and limited resources it would be hosed.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't have much to say on the railgun just yet since I still haven't unlocked it but when it comes to the breaker I do think it needs a slight nerf, preferably just a minor RoF reduction while keeping its current damage, but I think it needs to be a part of a broader weapon tuning effort on Arrowhead's part.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JBP posted:

Yeah it literally will not lock on 80% of the time. No amount of tinkering and testing has revealed a way to make it reliable, it's just busted rn.

It's a huge shame because when you actually get a lock it's awesome.

Things that increase your ability to lock on is to be looking at the thing from the front or back, having clear vision (foggy/smokey planets make it a pain in the rear end), and having an elevated view.

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't this very specifically something the auto cannon can not do? I was under the impression the AC doesn't strip charger armor. Was I mislead?

You can boop it in the rear end 4-6 times with the AC and it'll start bleeding out. You don't have to strip the armor. It's just faster to have two rail guns boop the same leg then AC shot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Things that increase your ability to lock on is to be looking at the thing from the front or back, having clear vision (foggy/smokey planets make it a pain in the rear end), and having an elevated view.

I have been using it heaps and this doesn't seem to matter. Clear view, stationary, looking right at you, no lock. Try again and again, nothing.

There's no trick to it, it just doesn't work properly.

Griz
May 21, 2001

CainFortea posted:

You can boop it in the rear end 4-6 times with the AC and it'll start bleeding out. You don't have to strip the armor. It's just faster to have two rail guns boop the same leg then AC shot.

turns out you can shoot the legs off with literally any gun because of some animation glitch with the charge attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Griz posted:

turns out you can shoot the legs off with literally any gun because of some animation glitch with the charge attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ

what the gently caress

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

this changes everything

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dandywalken posted:

Agreed. Staggers the big thing I think

Yeah, making it an area denial would help a lot, the same reason the laser weapons feel anemic is their 'unlimited ammo!' in't counterbalanced by the high ttk and 0 stagger.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

i unlocked the breaker and use it exclusively in semi-auto.

it's everything i wanted the DMR to be but better

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is player armor still broken?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's not really that the autocannon strips charger armor but that charger leg armor just...stops working during certain animations? you can pen their legs with your pistol with the right animation and timing. it feels more like a bug/exploit than anything else, really

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now that I've unlocked the RR and seen how many chargers can spawn together it feels like it should definitely be able to kill them with one good headshot (or butt shot, or whatever the devs deem appropriate) considering how unlikely it is you'll be able to reload it with multiple chargers around.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hopefully they'll consider improving the flame thrower and arc thrower to have better status effects. Things that actually shut enemies down or create space. Right now there are little bugs that love to fly in and swarm a group, or sneak up on you, and can put you in a rag doll over and over again. Same with fearless bots that will charge up with chainsaw arms or close ground while shooting from behind ballistic shields.

The flamer and arc thrower seem like they could be perfectly suited for dealing with, but not completely negating, groups of smaller enemies. Something like the Arc Thrower especially would be great if it got powered up with skill shots (more damage per +1 bounce). On higher difficulties you're still getting madly swarmed by things like chargers, titans, hulks, tanks and more dropships full of enemies than you have ammo to shoot, so you need to be careful how you manage the unique effects of these guns because you might accidentally set your friends on fire or pop them dead with an arc shot. It hopefully teaches the importance of positioning and team awareness.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I just played bug on difficulty 7 with not one but two guys using arc throwers and they were killing waves and even chargers and titans with those things so now I'm wondering if they're secret op.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If fire caused some kind of behavioural change (bots blow a fuse, bugs go insane) it would be a great buff.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

I just played bug on difficulty 7 with not one but two guys using arc throwers and they were killing waves and even chargers and titans with those things so now I'm wondering if they're secret op.

they're quite powerful but the chain lighting will chain right into your teammates

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is player armor still broken?

What does your heart tell you?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Thu thump usually

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuebot posted:

See my problem with this whole "the railgun is op" thing is the only difference between it and the autocannon in this context is that it doesn't need a backpack to reload. But it also has to charge, and needs to reload after every shot. Also it needs level 20.

I can see why the railgun is good, it just doesn't feel as good as people are saying, and I'd rather lug around the autocannon because it feels more versatile. Hell, I don't even find the shield backpack that helpful because in this game if you're getting hit you're probably in a poo poo position in the first place, so if you're bad at dealing with bugs like me it's not going to save you from getting swarmed or anything.

I hated difficulties above like, 3 prior to getting the railgun and now that I have it + a resupply backpack for something like 100 shots total on the fucker gameplay feels so much better, like I cannot state how night and day it is. Before I'd have to ollie two EATs and even then they might not kill the goddamn charger, trying to reload a RR was suicide, the grenade launcher just looked like it tickled them. Now I pop one shot into a leg, dive, reload in half a second, pop the second shot into the same leg, swap to my SMG, and the charger's dead before I go through half the magazine as long as I'm keeping it on the leg I busted, and I don't need to worry about anything I'm shooting even being danger close because the loving railgun doesn't have pointlessly explosive shots like the AC.

The Railgun is what I really, really hoped the AMR was, basically.

1stGear posted:

I suspect Arrowhead's intention was that the whole team reload thing would make the RR or autocannon more effective than the railgun as long as you have a buddy loading for you, but in actual practice that doesn't ever happen.

When the choice is 'I can give up my own backpack slot AND cease playing the game for 20 seconds to play ammo mule while someone else gets to blow stuff up' or 'continue blowing stuff up myself' it's hardly shocking what route 90% of the players (myself included) will go, yeah

BitBasher posted:

Just boost, don't nerf. This isn't a competitive game. Make the others more useful in general instead of making one weapon worse. Making a weapon worse feels lovely. Making multiple weapons better feels great!

Carrots are better than sticks.

:amen:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 28, 2024

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i feel like the slugger should do a liiiiiiittle bit more damage to make up for the slow rof and limited ammo but man advancing on a brood commander who you are physically driving back with every slug feels amazing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's a bad weapon but holding the scythe laser on a shield bot's tiny head until it bursts into flames and topples is really satisfying

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

What's the secret technique to actually play the game? All I can get are 'unable to connect to lobby' errors.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kitfox88 posted:

When the choice is 'I can give up my own backpack slot AND cease playing the game for 20 seconds to play ammo mule while someone else gets to blow stuff up' or 'continue blowing stuff up myself' it's hardly shocking what route 90% of the players (myself included) will go, yeah
As you said, 2 shots to a leg, Charger's vulnerable or dead. You can rip through chargers one after another without ever slowing down.

EATs have 2 shots and a hellpod cooldown (70s or more depending on map fuckery) by which time there's going to be 2 or 3 more chargers and in all likelihood the first charger isn't dead. Recoilless requires you to reload at a glacial pace, or take another person out of the fight that could be just using another railgun.

I agree entirely they have to make Recoilless/EAT be able to one-shot Chargers if you sweet-spot them. That's a bare minimum to keep up with higher difficulty spawns and I'm pretty drat sure even then there'd be enough of an ammo limitation and cooldown issue to where you would still gravitate towards the railgun. They have to adjust the spawns, adjust the other anti-armor options, give use more primary anti-armor options, or address some strategem cooldowns to get to a world where the railgun isn't just king of all strategems.

In a similar vein, the shield removes the main thing that kills players, which is being slowed/stunned and mobbed. If enemies couldn't interrupt stimming, or stims would give you CC immunity for the duration of their effect, the shield might see less use.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kitfox88 posted:

:amen:

Yeah, the backpack requirement really should be flipped. Because unless you have 2 players running the same gun so able to also feed their own gun when they're separated you now have the extra liabilty of not being able to shoot when the player on load duty wants to actually play.

Right now characters are too squishy for '2 become immobile to dish out damage' to generally make sense considering on the higher difficulties you win by staying mobile -not stopping and fighting.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I loved using the tank destroyer in the first game, with the massively increased engagement range I'm really hopeful we'll get some self propelled artillery

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, the backpack requirement really should be flipped. Because unless you have 2 players running the same gun so able to also feed their own gun when they're separated you now have the extra liabilty of not being able to shoot when the player on load duty wants to actually play.

Right now characters are too squishy for '2 become immobile to dish out damage' to generally make sense considering on the higher difficulties you win by staying mobile -not stopping and fighting.

Yeah, my single biggest issue with every other strong anti-armor option is that they absolutely destroy your mobility at some (usually multiple) points in the aim->fire->reload cycle. Meanwhile, the worst that the Railgun does is slow you down to just a walk while charging and that's it, and since it's single shot and rifle-esque the walk is still pretty loving accurate and only for a moment. The only other option that remotely compares to the mobility you keep is the EAT and it has a cavalcade of its own sins to worry about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Doming hulks with the AMR is so satisfying. :synpa:

What's the best weapon for dealing with berserker packs? It's so much easier dealing with 1 hulk than 4-6 berserkers.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
The breaker does OK against beserker swarms if you aim at the waist and try to cut them in half. But if all 4-6 are able to roll up at you at full health you're kind of in a bad situation no matter what. Grenade launcher can gently caress up the swarm as they run in easy and has enough ammo to do the whole pack in one swoop. Arc thrower surprisingly can wipe 2-3 in a single shot at times

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah from what I've noticed going for berserker waists is way more effective than their red eye

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

What's the secret technique to actually play the game? All I can get are 'unable to connect to lobby' errors.
Set your game mode to public if it's not already, click on a mission node that doesn't have a player counter already, then pop an SOS beacon as soon as you spawn.
If you mean initial login fails, try joining on a random friend or group member who's already ingame, even if you immediately leave their session.

Sindai posted:

What's the best weapon for dealing with berserker packs? It's so much easier dealing with 1 hulk than 4-6 berserkers.
Slugger or one of the airstrike stratagems. Slugger can easily keep a full pack staggered until they're all dead. If a semi-auto version of the slugger with magazine reload instead of per-shot eventually comes out, it'll be the best primary weapon in the game no-contest.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Autocannon does decent against Berserkers, but you still need to be aiming for the face or waist weakpoints, otherwise they can shrug off what feels like more body hits than even the Devestators can. Ironically I find the most reliable anti-berserker weapon in a pinch is the Redeemer secondary Machinepistol. Just aim at the face or waist at close range and the sheer RoF will ensure enough hits to kill. But at that point, Grats, you've killed one, maybe two berserkers, their other 2-3 friends are still in your face.

Speaking of the autocannon, I noticed tonight uses a toggle-action mechanism. So hilariously outdated. I'm killing Bots and Bugs with a bigass luger.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If using toggle-action is how the autocannon lets you do stripper clip reloads with the quickness then that poo poo ain't outdated, baby

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The RR is basically just a Carl Gustav, it's great. And if you actually watch the mortar turrets they have the barrel, yeah, and a little rectangle thing above it? After it fires a small arm extends from the rectangle, pivots slightly, and drops the new round in the top of the barrel. Like, yeah, that's how mortars irl work, you aim then drop the round and it fires out a split second later, but also it's so loving looney toons rear end in motion I can't help but giggle. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

The breaker does OK against beserker swarms if you aim at the waist and try to cut them in half. But if all 4-6 are able to roll up at you at full health you're kind of in a bad situation no matter what.
Ah, I liked using the DMR on bots since it 1 shots little guys at long range but I just unlocked the auto shotgun and should probably try it. I need to get in the habit of emptying each weapon into their waists and then switching to the next instead of reloading once they've close.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
DMR is real good against bots but yeah the Breaker IMO still is accurate enough to take out trash bots at a good range while being way better at pulling you out of a berserker rush

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Game seems very rough tonight. Lots of people getting booted, one no reward mission and I've had a crash. Unusual.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

I've been running 2 arc throwers + 2 laser dogs vs Suicide Mission terminids these past couple days with my group and it works really well. No more basic bugs harassing anyone so it is much simpler to deal with the big boys. Makes for some pretty chill missions, and having 400+ kills is fun. Not sure I'd run it on 9s though. Maybe. At that point there's SO MUCH armor, and while the arc thrower will kill chargers and titans eventually, it takes quite a long time and risks a lot of friendly fire as you're moving and dodging all over the place.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 28, 2024

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

woo, got my first 3 super samples yesterday! my friend and I got into a team with two very american dudes who were really chatty and played really well.

gotta try taking arc thrower in multiples for bug missions. having one was pretty good, let's see what four of them does. maybe just give everyone arc throwers + EATs + eagles, that sounds really fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Kitfox88 posted:

The RR is basically just a Carl Gustav, it's great. And if you actually watch the mortar turrets they have the barrel, yeah, and a little rectangle thing above it? After it fires a small arm extends from the rectangle, pivots slightly, and drops the new round in the top of the barrel. Like, yeah, that's how mortars irl work, you aim then drop the round and it fires out a split second later, but also it's so loving looney toons rear end in motion I can't help but giggle. :allears:

In the ship upgrades it mentions that the you're upgrading the orbital cannons to not need to be muzzle-loaded anymore :allears: