Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tiny Timbs posted:

ea figured out what people were missing in battlefield and it was

free

To

Play

Battle

Royale!!!

https://insider-gaming.com/battlefield-2025-battle-royale/

Battlefield V had a battle royale mode and no one played it https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Firestorm_(Gamemode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wrath aeon of ruin hit 1.0 and it doesnt gently caress around

that is in fact one single level with nearly 400 enemies and 28 secrets lol

good nailgun solid shotgun, good alt fires. interesting level design so far, pretty aggressive enemies

seems like it was worth the long wait

sound design is maybe the weakest aspect which is unfortunately common in boomer shooters, more common than i'd like. environmental sounds are good, but i think the gun shooting sounds are a little weak

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Better than Turbo Overkill's!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Black Mesa feels kinda weird. :words:

I'm sure I will get brutally bodied for my wrongthink, but my take is that Black Mesa is made for folks like us as the audience. It takes the original and upgrades the aesthetics, but it's necessarily an endless parade of "eh, eh? Remember this? Pepperidge Farms remembers!" nudging, and hell, I like that. HL1 has a lot of weird scenes of running around inside vents, on top of rusty Cold War era pipes precariously hanging over bottomless megaman pits or pools of radioactive waste, etc., and it's very much almost-but-not-exactly-real world design we already saw in e.g. Duke 3D. So the game does have a lot of stuff that're obviously FPS level conceits and not real places designed by sane architects, but I still find that part of the charm. FPSs are better when they're a little goofy.

That said, the last time I did a play-through I just started at Blast Pit because that's where the real fun gimmicks start, and you begin getting set-piece fights with the soldiers doing ambushes in the levels after that, etc. The fact that Gordon's back-story is as a pencil-neck MATLAB humper doesn't really enter into the equation for me at that point, you're just desperately fighting your way out of this ridiculous situation.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

i wanted to like black mesa but every time i load it up it turns out i played so goddamn much of hl1 as a kid that it's still too soon for a remaster/reboot

maybe in another 20 years?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Most of the referential stuff in Black Mesa goes well over the heads of new players and it's strictly an upgrade in terms of gameplay to such a degree that I would strongly recommend people who haven't played HL1 to start there. It's genuinely much less frustrating and more intuitive to actually play even before you get to Xen. I agree that a lot of the flourishes added to the early and midgame feel out of place (extra musical stings or guitar riffs in setpieces that really didn't need them! almost like the black mesa devs were weirdly insecure about stuff that already proved to work well in the original game), but Xen fits so well in the broader scope of the setting established in HL2 while being interesting to explore and genuinely fun to actually play.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I loving loved Black Mesa except for the torturous Interloper segment. I played a lot (a lot a lot) of Halflife when I was younger, too.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, despite looking like a dumb shoot 'em up (and one of the best at it) there's a surprising amount of mil sim stuff in Helldivers 2, including stealth.

Yeah I saw a video of someone comparing the game to Metal Gear Solid 5, and it looks like they just backwards engineered that engine. Which is what convinced me to buy it, lol.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure if they changed it, but at launch Black Mesa was very much in love with the newbie-unfriendly crouch jump. Places in the original that only required a normal jump now required crouch jumping, and they added it in places where no jumping was required originally.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ymgve posted:

Not sure if they changed it, but at launch Black Mesa was very much in love with the newbie-unfriendly crouch jump. Places in the original that only required a normal jump now required crouch jumping, and they added it in places where no jumping was required originally.

i wasn't even able to clear the last normal jump in the OG HL1 hazard course as a kid lol

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ymgve posted:

I don't remember that being an issue in the latest version. (It definitely was originally)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Black Mesa added an auto-crouch jump after the complaints of how much it was needed, I believe

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my primary complaint with the half life remake is that they make too many references to half life

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Yeah I saw a video of someone comparing the game to Metal Gear Solid 5, and it looks like they just backwards engineered that engine. Which is what convinced me to buy it, lol.

You know, I didn't make that association but now that you mention it yeah, it has a very similar gamefeel to MGSV.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Man I like Nightdive's work (the somewhat botched Blade Runner aside), but 30 bucks for Dark Forces seems a bit steep.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
now if it were dark forces 2....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dork Farces

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dark Forces? You mean Jedi Knight 0?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SWAT 4: Police Quest 9

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Star Wars: Dark Forces: Pre-Prequel to Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

eagerly awaiting Jedi Kiwami

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Star Wars: This is a Great Retro FPS Despite the Source Material

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Wonder Boy V: Monster World III" was the actual title of that game in JP which was extremely good

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I said it in another thread but the remade cutscenes for Dark Forces do not look good, they just sort of wobble the characters

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

My strongest memory of Dark Forces is the sewer level.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Star Wars: Dark Forces: Pre-Prequel to Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast

No you've got it backwards

it goes Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Star Wars 3¾: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy: Origins: Emergence

Book I of the Hoopz Skywalker SaGa

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"Wonder Boy V: Monster World III" was the actual title of that game in JP which was extremely good

Don't forget the sequel Wonder Boy VI, which starred a girl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was actually called Monster World IV. please do your research

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
monster world iv btw, is one of those insanely good games that never quite gets as much love as it deserves, because it was a Sega Genesis exclusive that wasn't named Sonic the Hedgehog

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

want to hunt those monsters in that world

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

GhostDog posted:

Man I like Nightdive's work (the somewhat botched Blade Runner aside), but 30 bucks for Dark Forces seems a bit steep.

Ooof yeah, now I understand why they didn't have a pre-order or list the price.

...extreme nostalgia still makes me wanna get it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Black Mesa honors its original by being better than it in every aspect but also making sure Xen is still the absolute worst part of the experience.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GhostDog posted:

I felt the same way about Turok 3, but probably more in that the actual quality of the baseline game isn't $30 good, even if the effort invested in the remaster itself is top tier.

That said, I have Humble Choice so picking these up at 20% off launch day is more palatable. Except Nightdive doesn't have their titles listed on third-party stores day one, and by the time they get around to it I find I have less interest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I nearly bought System Shock remake a couple months ago on a sale but I’m so overloaded with games and it seems like the exact kinda game to be on Humble Choice in four months.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this has a few nice things in it to pick from https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-trinity-bundle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

credburn posted:

Black Mesa honors its original by being better than it in every aspect but also making sure Xen is still the absolute worst part of the experience.

I actually thought BM's take on Xen was really cool right until the part where Interloper goes on for seven hours and is full of jumping puzzles.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Interloper sucked, but the Xen intro is one of my favourite moments in a FPS.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Detective No. 27 posted:

I nearly bought System Shock remake a couple months ago on a sale but I’m so overloaded with games and it seems like the exact kinda game to be on Humble Choice in four months.

It's genuinely excellent, and worth supporting imo. Absolute labour of love. Some people complain about the end, but the original end was way worse lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

sebmojo posted:

It's genuinely excellent, and worth supporting imo. Absolute labour of love. Some people complain about the end, but the original end was way worse lol

Does the remake hold up if you have never played the original and have no nostalgia for it?