Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It's a reoccuring thing with star citizens: they could just do it in real life. Put music on your phone, put on some headphones/earbuds and go out for a walk. It's a cheaper and easier experience than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
With the lack of mainstream interest that CIG have been hiding under for the past few years, it would be kind of hilarious if it turns out they have loads of debt and rising interest rates are going to do them in. :D

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It's really a matter of time until they finally fall and that's gonna be fun when it happens.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I do wonder if CIG is facing some financial issues currently. They laid off supposedly up to 100 people and there are more posts on Spectrum popping up with people annoyed about the constant ship sale spam emails.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

you are living in the verse.

a lot of people don't realise that is what SC is. it is a dangerous verse you live in. spending time in the bar, or the ship's mess hall is something you are expected to do.

however that will eventually also include needing to deal with expenses.

quote:

I live in 18 on the tram I always jump up and sit in the front window and watch all the ships and building go buy on the way to the space port. =)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/rbc0...d6b325fb503#t=0

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

TuxedoOrca posted:

It's really a matter of time until they finally fall and that's gonna be fun when it happens.

People have been saying this for years.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Sandweed posted:

People have been saying this for years.

You are correct.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im not even sure what that would look like. probably not too dissimilar from today. a bunch of ppl huffing copium and a bunch of ppl saying i told you so, except its now cheaper for the ppl huffing copium to exist because they arent buying jpegs- tho theyll likely find some other scam/cult to throw their hopes and dreams into

i think for CIG or w/e to get in trouble theyd have to have issues with paying taxes etc basically.

i guess there could be some weird john delorean type poo poo or a surprise human trafficking angle or w/e but i assume whatever the most boring possible outcome there is will be what happens

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

TuxedoOrca posted:

It's a reoccuring thing with star citizens: they could just do it in real life. Put music on your phone, put on some headphones/earbuds and go out for a walk. It's a cheaper and easier experience than this.

Yeah but real life just doesn’t have the necessary level of fidelity to make it worthwhile.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

TuxedoOrca posted:

that's stupid. in real life I'm some fat nerd. in the 'verse I'm a very important space captain everyone is going to want to work for

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Has anyone checked in with citizens to see how SC stacks up against Skull and Bones, the first AAAA game to be released?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Worf posted:

im not even sure what that would look like. probably not too dissimilar from today. a bunch of ppl huffing copium and a bunch of ppl saying i told you so, except its now cheaper for the ppl huffing copium to exist because they arent buying jpegs- tho theyll likely find some other scam/cult to throw their hopes and dreams into

i think for CIG or w/e to get in trouble theyd have to have issues with paying taxes etc basically.

i guess there could be some weird john delorean type poo poo or a surprise human trafficking angle or w/e but i assume whatever the most boring possible outcome there is will be what happens

lol, Roberts caught on camera with a suitcase of money and dealing for a bunch of blow.

Sounds quite plausible.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

also unsurprisingly accusations of a toxic workplace

quote:

In her (translated) post, Bouffard called Cloud Imperium a "highly toxic company." She claimed to have been "gaslighted" over concerns about the layoffs, and that her boss hadn't spoken to her in months.

"At my annual evaluation...we spent an hour on my character and my 'negativity,'" she wrote. "I was mocked in a condescending way when I said that what mattered to me was the well-being of my teams."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, Roberts caught on camera with a suitcase of money and dealing for a bunch of blow.

Sounds quite plausible.

This talk of Copium and Roberts made me think I was in a SCOTUS threat for a second.

I mean I guess I still am, Star Citizen Of The United Shitposts

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

CIG will just scale down as the money flow dwindles. They can sell jpegs just fine with a skeleton crew.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

haldolium posted:

also unsurprisingly accusations of a toxic workplace

Where is this from?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wish to hell they would release their Bartender AI so you could submit queries.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

TuxedoOrca posted:

90 days tops

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought it was 2 weeks?

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
A month, give or take.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Sandweed posted:

Where is this from?

If it had to be translated I'm guessing Turbulent. I heard thirdhand (or thereabouts) that it was a bad place to work in, at least post-acquisition. Like, I think the person I followed needed therapy after spending a year or so there.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sandweed posted:

Where is this from?

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/report-star-citizen-dev-cig-laid-off-staff-following-studio-relocation

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

If it had to be translated I'm guessing Turbulent. I heard thirdhand (or thereabouts) that it was a bad place to work in, at least post-acquisition. Like, I think the person I followed needed therapy after spending a year or so there.

How did you hear of that? Through friends?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

We're on page 2542 of the thread. On the internet, 5 is usually used in place of S. Therefore, '542' means that this is a references to S42. The 2 in the thousands digit represents a frame of time, so...

It's official. Squadron 42 releases in 2 weeks now. Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Sandweed posted:

CIG will just scale down as the money flow dwindles. They can sell jpegs just fine with a skeleton crew.

It’s gonna be like that episode of TNG where the pocket universe collapses around Crusher isn’t it.

“If there’s nothing wrong with Croberts, there must be something wrong with the ‘verse!”

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sandweed posted:

Yeah if they were smart they’d slowly scale things back and adopt an approach similar to companies that manage late-life MMOs. Hell they’re already dribbling out content for SC at a pace that’s about the same.

But the Crobbler seems like the type to try to keep all of the plates spinning until the last possible moment. He still seems to want to make SQ42 his magnum opus, and a turd that he’ll just keep polishing until the money finally runs out.

These layoffs are probably far from the ELE though. CIG probably got spooked by a decline in revenue, high interest rates and the wider industry downturn; plus redundancies when they bought Turbulent were probably also a factor.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Maybe it’ll scare people into funding their game more

They should make a little graphic of a sinking ship, and the more money you put into it the faster people bail the water out

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Worf posted:

Maybe it’ll scare people into funding their game more

They should make a little graphic of a sinking ship, and the more money you put into it the faster people bail the water out

*insert gif of Chris riding the toy spaceship with Ben shoveling money while Sandy cracks the whip*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

LuiCypher posted:

We're on page 2542 of the thread. On the internet, 5 is usually used in place of S. Therefore, '542' means that this is a references to S42. The 2 in the thousands digit represents a frame of time, so...

It's official. Squadron 42 releases in 2 weeks now. Half-Life 3 confirmed!

:hmmyes:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

colonelwest posted:

Yeah if they were smart they’d slowly scale things back and adopt an approach similar to companies that manage late-life MMOs. Hell they’re already dribbling out content for SC at a pace that’s about the same.

But the Crobbler seems like the type to try to keep all of the plates spinning until the last possible moment. He still seems to want to make SQ42 his magnum opus, and a turd that he’ll just keep polishing until the money finally runs out.

These layoffs are probably far from the ELE though. CIG probably got spooked by a decline in revenue, high interest rates and the wider industry downturn; plus redundancies when they bought Turbulent were probably also a factor.

They are already doing layoffs, even more damning they are disguising it as "restructuring" so they won't alarm the whales.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look my uncle works at valuve so I've obviously played half-life 3.

Let me tell you this, it's no starcitizen!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FishMcCool posted:

*insert gif of Chris riding the toy spaceship with Ben shoveling money while Sandy cracks the whip*

Ok…

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
:hmmyes:

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
We're all winners here, as hundreds of ex-CIG staff will soon join the wider industry bringing their wealth of knowledge and innovation from years of Star Citizen development. Bravo Chris.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JammyB posted:

We're all winners here, as hundreds of ex-CIG staff will soon join the wider industry bringing their wealth of knowledge and innovation from years of Star Citizen development. Bravo Chris.

Even if they are still at the same junior level they went into CIG with, their endless anecdotes about CIG will be a valuable asset to any company's morale.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

I'm in the small(ish) community of Canadian gaming scholars, though I've been out of school for a while. Anyway, someone else in the network got a job at Turbulent a few years back and was really excited, showing off the Star Citizen swag they got the first day on Twitter. Fast forward to a year later and they were in bad shape, and happy to get out when their contract ran out. A very toxic manager was in the mix iirc.

I haven't seen them anywhere online for a while - hope they're okay.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Turbulent was the only competent part of this shitshow, and now Chris closed their studio and forced them all to quit or come to the UK?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They didn't close the studio, I think they just laid some people off.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

I'm in the small(ish) community of Canadian gaming scholars, though I've been out of school for a while. Anyway, someone else in the network got a job at Turbulent a few years back and was really excited, showing off the Star Citizen swag they got the first day on Twitter. Fast forward to a year later and they were in bad shape, and happy to get out when their contract ran out. A very toxic manager was in the mix iirc.

I haven't seen them anywhere online for a while - hope they're okay.

Ahh drat, yep, hope they get themselves in a better spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hm yea thatll do