Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Large Testicles posted:

says person who has a Hillary av in 2024

the moff hillary avs were part of a mass, uh, "gifting" wave a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Runa posted:

the moff hillary avs were part of a mass, uh, "gifting" wave a few years back

My perception of the passage of time is not perfect, but someone please tell me that it wasn’t actually “a few years” back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to say it was early 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pretty sure it was after SD 1.5 came out in October '22, but mayve that was the Bernie avs

Probably both.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1762338986545017276?t=Aa8cZrZFWQ1HaIwN2tND1Q&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Runa posted:

I want to say it was early 2022

FFT posted:

Pretty sure it was after SD 1.5 came out in October '22, but mayve that was the Bernie avs

Probably both.

It’s been seven months.

weg posted:

lmao @ all these Hillary avatars

I check the forums and see 200ish posts in here and it wasn't Hillary Clinton I was expecting to see on the offensive lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Large Testicles posted:

says person who has a Hillary av in 2024

Hillary doesn't strike me as very online

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Platystemon posted:

It’s been seven months.

thank gently caress. i just about had a heart attack

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wait this is real? The bidding on burgers is real? That wasn't the other guy making a joke? Holy poo poo!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Burger Arbitrage: better or worse than Pizza on Loan?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s been seven months.

ah, my mistake

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

we can't all be draco-necrophonic sorcerers.

Not with that attitude.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

mycot posted:

I am almost certain the hysteria last year over child-friendly drag shows was started by a viral tweet of one by shoeonhead, so Legislation By Tweet can happen but only if it makes things worse.

Then just say that ai is helping to facilitate teens getting hormone blockers or something. That will rile them up for sure

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait this is real? The bidding on burgers is real? That wasn't the other guy making a joke? Holy poo poo!

https://www.foodandwine.com/wendys-introducing-dynamic-pricing-8600506 I regret to inform you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Must stay at home tonight, I'm going to bid on the next Wendy's drop.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lmao I just assumed they ran into an addled old man who kinda sounded like him. But no that's literally the same guy doing the bit on the evening news.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I love that the latest fast food innovation is how to reduce demand for your products

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

capital isn't even trying anymore. wendy's could have raised prices across the board and then implemented "special sale" times everyday and gotten the same effect without half as much bad PR

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mr. Fix It posted:

capital isn't even trying anymore. wendy's could have raised prices across the board and then implemented "special sale" times everyday and gotten the same effect without half as much bad PR

Yeah this is written like a pitch to investors, not customers, those ghouls love this poo poo

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

The bosses thought surge pricing sounded cooler.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

No the burger arbitrage isn't real but they are talking about doing "surge pricing" for food. Although with all the pushback they're getting it might not happen. It's all because Wendy's is owned by investment firms and all they care about is getting as much money out as soon as possible and they don't care if it burns the company down.

We're basically in the stage of capitalism where it is encouraged to kill the golden goose because you get the eggs and who cares about anyone else.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can we raise a ruckus and get youtube to not look terrible next? I do not like its new design at all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Surge pricing is so stupid.

World of Warcraft famously illustrated the psychology of this sort of thing twenty years ago. Everyone hated the “fatigued” status that slowed XP gain after some hours of play.

When Blizzard introduced a “well-rested” bonus to XP gain for the first however many hours, that went over much better, despite being in effect the exact same thing.

Ea-nasir may well have been a savvier businessman than Wendy’s ownership.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can we raise a ruckus and get youtube to not look terrible next? I do not like its new design at all

Wait, what's different? All I see is weird, random indentations in the rows of thumbnails but I don't notice anything major.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

wash bucket posted:

lmao I just assumed they ran into an addled old man who kinda sounded like him. But no that's literally the same guy doing the bit on the evening news.

It's literally the same guy doing the bit spliced into a story about people traveling long distances to see Taylor Swift.

Here's the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djnq86S08jk

He's not some wacky random old man. The original videos were posted by filthy frank (aka joji)'s record label.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Thread title should be "butt doctor, I am Pegliacci!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Love to explain to the old people that eat at fast food restaurants every single day why their burger is $5 today, was $3 yesterday, and will be $10 tomorrow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kazil posted:

Love to explain to the old people that eat at fast food restaurants every single day why their burger is $5 today, was $3 yesterday, and will be $10 tomorrow.

What they need to do for variable pricing is introduce haggling rather than surge pricing. I'll go to Wendy's with my Persian friends and we'll dine like kings.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Even out here on the Canadian east coast where things are expensive as gently caress, wife and I could get a couple baconator combos for $25 and I think last time we went was $31 or something? Can we literally just eat the loving rich already?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kazil posted:

Just get into burger futures trading

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I will gladly pay you $5 on Tuesday for a $10 hamburger today

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1762840116442075610

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

gone already

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Yeah this is written like a pitch to investors, not customers, those ghouls love this poo poo

Yeah but they have been to a restaurant, right? Like they know what Wendy's IS right? People line up to order. If every third customer has a breakdown and berets the poor kid running the till until the manager comes over and very slowly explains the policy -- during the dinner rush -- sales will be in the toilet. Some customers will leave because they aren't paying a 50 cent premium. Some will leave because it's not fast food if the lines aren't moving. Some will leave because the drive through is backed up around the block and there's a mcdonalds on the next corner that won't have you waiting 20 minutes to order.

You spend 3 minutes explaining to the old man why his burger costs 50 cents more today. During that 3 minutes no one else in the drive through line can order. Since there are no sales the computer drops the surge premium and the old man gets his burger at the regular price. 4 more cars get processed before the computer detects another surge, raises prices, and the pattern repeats.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

during the dinner rush -- sales will be in the toilet.

That's the entire point. Someone from Wendy's explained it in the article I read: They want to crater sales during peak times - and offset it at least somewhat with the higher prices - so that they don't need to schedule additional employees during peak hours.

Edit: it wasn't "someone from Wendy's" but speculation from an "industry expert"

Theris has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Feb 28, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Theris posted:

That's the entire point. Someone from Wendy's explained it in the article I read: They want to crater sales during peak times - and offset it at least somewhat with the higher prices - so that they don't need to schedule additional employees during peak hours.

You can do that by just . . . not scheduling extra employees. When the lines get too long people will go to other restaurants. Surge pricing does the same thing but also makes all your customers mad. Wendy's: the one that rips you off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assure you that Wendy's does not want sales to crater at peak times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thinking behind it is that enough people will continue to buy the product but at higher prices to make up for any lost sales. McDonald's has openly abandoned the "value" customer for the same reason. People are like "McDonald's, you're not the cheap go-to anymore!" and they go yeah, we know, and it's working out just fine for us.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If every third customer has a breakdown and berets the poor kid

"Oh yeah?! Well, surge THIS" [slaps a beret down onto the teenager's head]

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/its_natclayton/status/1762546432026845632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

zoux posted:

I assure you that Wendy's does not want sales to crater at peak times.

I would say Wendy's wants to crater sales at peak times. I don't believe it, but I would say it.