Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Agricola
Dominion
Food Chain
Inis
Keyflower
Modern Art
RftG
Spirit Island
Tigris & Euphrates

Don't see much change happening anytime soon. Nokosu Dice and Dungeon Petz sitting just outside the top 10. And because I play a ton of 2p I tend to keep those separate in my mind (though a few would definitely make my overall top 10):

Android Netrunner
BattleCon
Battle Line: Medieval
Blitzkrieg!
Blue Moon Legends
Patchwork
Ragnarocks
Sakura Arms
Tak
Tash-Kalar

If I had to cull everything in my collection of ~65 game to these 20 I think I'd be completely ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Bottom Liner posted:

Is this people doing it in a way that hurts others but doesn't help them directly? Or out of ignorance? If neither of those, yeah, that's pointless but also if it doesn't hurt anyone it's just a bad move, so I'm not sure it deserves retribution?

Or is it a matter of grinding these longer games to a crawl?

It often hurts others because in most 18xxs, selling drops the share price. If you have 6x $100 shares, and someone sells twice, they become 6x $80 shares, whereas the seller usually sells at the higher ($100) price so they don't lose any value.

If nobody does it, it's fine. If someone does it to everyone else but has their shares left untouched, they've just gotten themself an edge in terms of value, in theory.

In practice what it usually means is that the other players in the game will jump on the cheap shares that the stock-trasher just sold - so the people who lose out are people who already have shares in the company. Meaning they now have an incentive to go trash the original trasher's company to make them poorer as well.

In the end, everyone gets trashed, and ends up poorer, which may be a legitimate aim or strategy (because less cash = less new companies = slower train rush), but there is a group of players who do it every time without thinking.

It also has the effect of breaking the auto-pass function in the .games website. A lot of people program an auto-pass/auto-buy, and any share sales triggers the auto-pass/auto-buy to break (as it should!), which makes the round take a lot longer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I'm familiar with dumping shares to tank prices, which is why I asked about clarification of why that was frowned upon in that circumstance. If it's not hurting others/advancing yourself, just making the game even slower, that would be annoying and worth calling out.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I've played Blueprints for a Mad King Ludwig a handful of times now. My playgroup absolutely adored castles and even though I skipped Between two Castles of a Mad King Ludwig because they also hate Between two Cities (even though I low key love that game) I felt compelled to pick this up.

I do kind of agree with the criticisms about it being a $50 "flip and sketch" game as they call it as the game is just cards and paper and some cardboard. But also my perception for the price of Board Games has completely gone off the deep end.

I kinda just had some feelings about some particular cards - two in particular.

First is the "build two rooms instead of one room when you finish a red room" royal decree. I've basically already house ruled this card out not for being particularly overpowered (although it does seem very strong) but also just because it makes the game take loving forever. I saw a BGG thread that came to a similar conclusion.

The other card is the 4 points per rounded wall segment goal. This goal seems to be by and far the best goal in the game. I've seen it be worth 80 points by itself, and it seems so strange to me. The angled wall version is only 2 points per angled wall, and I get that angled walls are better (you start with 2, and you can combine two angled walls on the same square whereas you can't with rounded walls), but literally double?

And its so baffling to me, I've never seen any other goal score more than 48 (which was the 6 points per unused column/row in your blueprint) but I also haven't seen a BGG thread about this card.

Anyways, I'm thinking about taking that card out of the pool as well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Speaking of dumping stock prices, I got into a brief kick playing City of the Big Shoulders with some folks, and we started to realize that it was possible to just buy and then immediately sell stock to dump the price at like zero cost to you and the other players I was with started just doing this repeatedly to pretty much any stock they weren't holding to screw the other players. For the same reasons as stated before it does let other players just jump on the cheaper stock price and potentially benefit while the stock dumper gets nothing really but we just kind of stopped playing it after that because we all just kind of felt that buying and selling immediately was a degenerate strategy that kind of ruined the game for us. Then we moved on to mainstream 18xx games so it really didn't feel like we lost anything, but I did kind of enjoy the flow of the game and I kind of wonder if there's any kind of strong incentive NOT to dump other people other than don't be a dick.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Glagha posted:

Speaking of dumping stock prices, I got into a brief kick playing City of the Big Shoulders with some folks, and we started to realize that it was possible to just buy and then immediately sell stock to dump the price at like zero cost to you and the other players I was with started just doing this repeatedly to pretty much any stock they weren't holding to screw the other players. For the same reasons as stated before it does let other players just jump on the cheaper stock price and potentially benefit while the stock dumper gets nothing really but we just kind of stopped playing it after that because we all just kind of felt that buying and selling immediately was a degenerate strategy that kind of ruined the game for us. Then we moved on to mainstream 18xx games so it really didn't feel like we lost anything, but I did kind of enjoy the flow of the game and I kind of wonder if there's any kind of strong incentive NOT to dump other people other than don't be a dick.

Depends on the game. Loss of priority in the next stock round is usually a main reason not to, you're giving it away to your left seat for free, and control of priority can be a big deal. As mentioned before, you're often also just making shares cheaper to buy for everyone else, and in games that have them, it'll push shares closer to special zones of the market (eg yellow/orange/brown in 30).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Another benefit to the attacked Co is shares in the market pay their dividends to the company (this happens in 1830), or they get the money used to buy the shares (thus happens in 1841). But it is a ball ache and takes ages, so I hate to see it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sorted by raw love

Dominion
aFfO
Space Alert
The Resistance
Toc Toc Woodman (I'm counting it even only barely)
RftG
Explore and Draw
We're Doomed
Jaipur

I want to include patchwork but it's pretty easy to solve

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I want to include patchwork but it's pretty easy to solve

What

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Not in a particular order.

God I wish I could play Keyflower more. Most of my friends are averse to auction games and some don't like the fact you can use other people's tiles.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mandatory Assembly posted:

My kids are younger but the same interests in mythology and board games. Any recommendations for that theme but for 6-7 year olds?

I can't say for sure on age recommendations, because even within my own kids the age at which they were fully understanding certain games varied a lot.

I would have thought they'd like Santorini more, but it was a miss for them.

They really like the Horrified series, including Horrified: Greek Monsters. It's fully cooperative so they can get through it without getting mad at each other. Doesn't require a great deal of reading either, especially if a parent is playing and sorta managing the monster deck and enforcing turn order and such.

They're big fans of 7 Wonders Duel. I got rid of my copy of original 7 Wonders because I found myself reaching for Sushi Go Party every time instead. They like the less-direct conflict and the city building aspects of it.

Lost Cities card game is another they like. Cool archaeology artwork and simple rules, though I don't think they fully grasp the strategy.

They LOVE Unmatched, but that's only within the last year or so.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Have we talked about trick taking games recently? I'm thinking I should expand my collection a bit and was looking at picking up Ghosts of Christmas, 9 Lives, and The Bottle Imp (although I may just proxy bottle imp from some blank cards, because there's a new edition apparently in the works and it would be trivial to proxy). Anyone have any other interesting trick taking recs? I have The Crew, Fox in the Forest, and Cat in the Box already.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

armorer posted:

Have we talked about trick taking games recently? I'm thinking I should expand my collection a bit and was looking at picking up Ghosts of Christmas, 9 Lives, and The Bottle Imp (although I may just proxy bottle imp from some blank cards, because there's a new edition apparently in the works and it would be trivial to proxy). Anyone have any other interesting trick taking recs? I have The Crew, Fox in the Forest, and Cat in the Box already.

12 Chip Trick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

armorer posted:

Nokosu Dice is the best trick taker I’ve ever played.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
awaken realms teasing that new hotness:

elden ring but rpg and bloodborne but emo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKaSmARy_7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zzz1di8Xn4

also Castles of burgundy getting that AR treatment: https://gamefound.com/en/projects/awaken-realms/castles-of-burgundy-reprint

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Worth noting that the castles is a second run of the one that fulfilled last year.
We got it and it's incredible. We didn't get the dumb 3d tiles, but the acrylics are super duper nice and the whole thing oozes quality

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Spiteski posted:

Worth noting that the castles is a second run of the one that fulfilled last year.
We got it and it's incredible. We didn't get the dumb 3d tiles, but the acrylics are super duper nice and the whole thing oozes quality

I played my buddy's copy a few weeks back and he had the version that's both cheaper and nicer than the one with acrylic tiles because his have text on the back that tell you what the tile does.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played Ark Nova for the first time tonight. I really enjoyed it despite being highly skeptical during the teach. I know goons have frowned on it a lot in here, is there a similar game that more people prefer I should try? Only complaint was that it played really long and we didn't finish in the more than 3 hours (four players) we had before the LGS closed. Bummer! Felt like I was winning too... I will say that it didn't feel like it was taking forever, which is a very good sign.

A game I played week before last that did feel very long was Photosynthesis with the expansion (Under the Moonlight), even though it was in fact much shorter. I like the game, I think?, but it's plodding. This was my second time playing it and the first time with the expansion, and I thought the expansion was very bad. It added a bunch of rules overhead for very minor pay-off, only barely got interacted with but one interaction (mine) was massively swingy with Fox being able to push its (my) own seed to prime real estate early on to get a fairly decisive advantage.

Last week we played two rounds of Deception: Murder in Hong Kong which I appreciated. I thought it was clever and engaging, but ultimately it's not the style of social deduction that really grabs me. Not to say I wouldn't be happy to play it again whenever, it's just that it's easy to feel really helpless as the murderer. Want to try a few more rounds to see if it always feels that way. I did end up winning as the murderer anyway when one of the two suspected witnesses accidentally showed their hand (by being too surprised by the accomplice reveal).

So Clover also made an appearance last week, another first for me, and I really loved it. A much needed and well executed update to Codenames, I'd be happy for a round or two pretty much whenever. Guessing and coding are both supremely satisfying and losing didn't ever feel bad, which is always a plus.

We also played some Bohnanza over the past few weeks and that game just rules. I'm four or five plays into it now and it's just... it's just great. I don't even know why it is, but it is. Love Bohnanza.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Ark Nova is good but it suffers from One Big Deck syndrome.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We also played some Bohnanza over the past few weeks and that game just rules. I'm four or five plays into it now and it's just... it's just great. I don't even know why it is, but it is. Love Bohnanza.

beans

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdO_bYby1U

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Played Ark Nova for the first time tonight. I really enjoyed it despite being highly skeptical during the teach. I know goons have frowned on it a lot in here, is there a similar game that more people prefer I should try? Only complaint was that it played really long and we didn't finish in the more than 3 hours (four players) we had before the LGS closed. Bummer! Felt like I was winning too... I will say that it didn't feel like it was taking forever, which is a very good sign.

I've played a ton of Ark Nova and I love it to death. If you like Ark you should keep playing it, and maybe get the expansion that irons out a few issues. It's also the kind of game where once people understand the game better they'll start moving the game timer faster, so you'll eventually get it under three hours.

If you like having to play tactically with the cards available, there's some smaller card games that I love which scratch a similar itch, like Race for the Galaxy and Innovation.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

No particular order. Fire in the Lake basically stands in for the entire COIN catalogue.

Just missing out:
Napoleon's Triumph
Company of Heroes
The game that must not be named: Monster
Inis
Dune Imperium + all the expansions + Uprising
Lords of Hellas/Ragnarok
The King is Dead
Pax Pamir 2e

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Tainted Grail is being sold at a ridiculously low price (£20) so I've picked a copy up. I'm kind of regretting not buying a couple and flipping the spares, there's still time to pick up extras, £5 shipping doesn't impact the quality of the deal that much.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Agricola
Pax pamir
Cerebria
Dune imperium
Alchemists
Pendragon
Captain's log
John Company 2nd ed
Hegemony

I'm expecting A gest of Robin Hood to knock Dune out of the list, though

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Bohnanza owns and trading games own and the more trading games you play the faster the degeneracy starts.

Game 1: Oh hey, trade my Chilli Bean for your Green Bean?

Game 3: I’ll launder green beans with you now player 2. player 3 you will give me that garden bean or I will compete directly for your beans from your right. Player 4 thank you for your kind acceptance of this junk bean, the favour has been noted. gently caress you player 5, pay ME.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

armorer posted:

Bottle Imp is really the best one, IMHO (for three players ay least, never tried with two or four).
Jekyll vs Hyde is fantastic 2-player game (much better than Fox in the Forest, which I also like).
Brian Boru is really interesting, because it's a whole area control game, that works via playing tricks, highly recommended.
Then there is the new Sail that plays with two players. It's kinda like Fox in the Forest Duet.

E. 9 Lives left my playing group lukewarm, fwiw.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have Pest and has played it yet?
Every time I get it to the table to solo learn, I end up giving up upon noticing the errors in the rulebook and realizing I need to clear even more space for an 2 hour euro.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For trick-taking, I really like Potato Man if you are playing with three as well.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't play a lot of board games so just imagine my 3x3 is battletech if that counts and then 8 pictures of various cribbage boards

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Redundant posted:

Tainted Grail is being sold at a ridiculously low price (£20) so I've picked a copy up. I'm kind of regretting not buying a couple and flipping the spares, there's still time to pick up extras, £5 shipping doesn't impact the quality of the deal that much.

Where?!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ilmucche posted:

I don't play a lot of board games so just imagine my 3x3 is battletech if that counts and then 8 pictures of various cribbage boards

Battletech: A Game of Armored Combat, Battletech: Alpha Strike, Mechwarrior: Dark Age, MegaMek, Battletech: A Time of War, Battletech (HBS), Mechwarrior 3, Mechassault, Robot Jox

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Sadly it looks like it is out of stock now. But it was here.

I should have ordered my extras when I had the chance!

Edit: looks like it's back actually.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Magnetic North posted:

Battletech: A Game of Armored Combat, Battletech: Alpha Strike, Mechwarrior: Dark Age, MegaMek, Battletech: A Time of War, Battletech (HBS), Mechwarrior 3, Mechassault, Robot Jox

Ok one box for a game of armored combat and HBS battletech each, and 7 cribbage boards (two player, none of that three player nonsense)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Redundant posted:

Sadly it looks like it is out of stock now. But it was here.

I should have ordered my extras when I had the chance!

Edit: looks like it's back actually.

Ah, dang, saying it's out of stock for me. Thanks though!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The End posted:

No particular order. Fire in the Lake basically stands in for the entire COIN catalogue.

Just missing out:
Napoleon's Triumph
Company of Heroes
The game that must not be named: Monster
Inis
Dune Imperium + all the expansions + Uprising
Lords of Hellas/Ragnarok
The King is Dead
Pax Pamir 2e

Haven't played starcraft in forever but I have very fond memories, love that stacking order system so much.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
How different is Voidfall to Omega Centauri? I had no idea they were linked until everyone started raving about the former and I saw that apparently it's a "reimplementation". If it aint that wild beyond some admittedly nice production values I will feel less FOMO.

And you assholes have to stop talking about Napoleon's Triumph in such glowing terms. For a game so beloved it's crazy to me that there hasn't been a KS reprint or some niche European company running with the rights.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jedit posted:

12 Chip Trick.

There are some "chip" files for this on Thingiverse, I'll print a copy today!

Bottom Liner posted:

Nokosu Dice is the best trick taker I’ve ever played.

This looks really interesting, I've added it to my list.

High Tension Wire posted:

Bottle Imp is really the best one, IMHO (for three players ay least, never tried with two or four).
Jekyll vs Hyde is fantastic 2-player game (much better than Fox in the Forest, which I also like).
Brian Boru is really interesting, because it's a whole area control game, that works via playing tricks, highly recommended.
Then there is the new Sail that plays with two players. It's kinda like Fox in the Forest Duet.

E. 9 Lives left my playing group lukewarm, fwiw.

I'll check out Brian Boru, Jekyll vs Hyde, and Sail. Also I forgot to mention that I'm going to make a copy of Le Plateau from some files that are on Printables.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

armorer posted:

There are some "chip" files for this on Thingiverse, I'll print a copy today!

Just remember to use the "optional" original rule where bust hands count as half value. It makes for much tenser games as a player isn't obviously out once they break 21. I was playing last night and won a hand with 19 against 37.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Also, if you are looking for a 3 player trick taker, Ninety-Nine uses a standard deck and is utterly fantastic if you like exact bidding games.