Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chalamet was better in wonka than dune imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I guess the strat will be to watch the OV version 2 times, and then as a palette cleanser the german voiced version (ugh).

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I was rewatching it yesterday and thought maybe I wasn't wild about his Paul. Like it's passable while the real meat is the rest of the movie. But then I got to the Gom Jabbar scene and man he really sells that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Man if Denis makes a good Dune Messiah down the line the series would have to be up there with LotR in terms of pulling off miraculous book-to-film adaptations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Miraculous? LOTR is a very cinematic book, it's been adapted twice successfully

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

If you're a weak bitch like me and keep watching every new clip that comes in rather than wait till Friday, here's Irulan to Mohiam and figuring poo poo out, right quick.

Spoilers, obv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JRjW7Uvt8

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Man if Denis makes a good Dune Messiah down the line the series would have to be up there with LotR in terms of pulling off miraculous book-to-film adaptations.

He better go crazy designing the Tleilaxu.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie is rad.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Kart Barfunkel posted:

3 kids in a trenchcoat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

May thy norf chorp an shorter

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Cast Kurtwood Smith just for the immortal line of “Bijaz, leave.”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jeeves posted:

Cast Kurtwood Smith just for the immortal line of “Bijaz, leave.”

:golfclap:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I can't remember, in the book does Feyd get a bene gesserit member pregnant? What becomes of that plot point?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deoju posted:

I can't remember, in the book does Feyd get a bene gesserit member pregnant? What becomes of that plot point?

yep, i can't remember what comes of it tho

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

Not to mention that every fantasy film since the book was written kinda laid the groundwork.

Dune may have inspired a lot of sci-fi, but not in the same 'much of the setting is the same' kind of way.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

deoju posted:

He does have a son somewhere iirc

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
HhhhhhhMMMMMMMhhhhmmmm, I remember that bit. Fenring and Missus attend Feyd killing the Atreides prisoner for his 16th, 18th? birthday. Later on Margot seduces lovely Feyd for breeding lineage procurement purposes.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Cross posting from GBS:

Very pleased that the Arabic erasure of “Ya hya chouhada” is the lead article in The New Yorker today.

“Dune” and the Delicate Art of Making Fictional Languages https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/dune-and-the-delicate-art-of-making-fictional-languages

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Just got out of the film. Loved it. It certainly takes a lot more liberties with the source material than the Part 1, but I like the changes. It’s quite a lot darker in its back half. Stunning on a visual and auditory level.

Jewmanji posted:

Cross posting from GBS:

Very pleased that the Arabic erasure of “Ya hya chouhada” is the lead article in The New Yorker today.

“Dune” and the Delicate Art of Making Fictional Languages https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/dune-and-the-delicate-art-of-making-fictional-languages

If you’ve seen the film, tying many of the phrases to Islamic groups would come off as negative portrayals of those groups… I don’t think we need more portrayals of of Islamic peoples as violent fundamentalists. The Algerian Liberation Front certainly aught not be tied to the use of the phrases in the film… it wouldn’t be an empowering allusion.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 28, 2024

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
:ibadpop: Denis had prescient knowledge of 10/7 but instead of stopping it he just scrubbed the Arabic/Caucasus influences from his adaption!

Edit: ^^ Have you read "Sabres of Paradise," the book Herbert mines for alot of Fremen customs and warfare? That interpretation seems more internal to your mind than internal to the work.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 28, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's always been a tension in American media about whether resisting Imperial domination is tyne good guy or bad guy role.

Can you imagine if Lucas had put Vietnamese in the rebel base scenes in star wars?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klit II: Træfning af Arrakis status: watched.

Good movie.
EDIT: I’ll have to rewatch it on BluRay when it comes out, but after sitting with it a bit I think I’m quite happy with the changes to the source material.
It makes the motivations of the characters clearer, which the books didn’t do a great job of, without trying to beat the audience over the head with it.

deoju posted:

Pretty sure Frank forgot about it too, because nothing comes of it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 28, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Can you imagine if Lucas had put Vietnamese in the rebel base scenes in star wars?

I mean, at least then you'd be portraying them as good guys. You could probably do that just fine now. Heck, The Creator basically did just a few months back. But Paul's holy war is a different beast.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
P sure Lucilla is the great, great et cetera, grandaughter of Feyd.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Is there any facsimile or exploration of the idea that Paul can't fully see the future yet, particularly because the one person he couldn't see (Count Fenring) appears to have been written out?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BastardySkull posted:

Is there any facsimile or exploration of the idea that Paul can't fully see the future yet, particularly because the one person he couldn't see (Count Fenring) appears to have been written out?
Nop.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I suppose the stakes are already incredibly high.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BastardySkull posted:

Well, before he drinks the water of life he specifically says he can’t see clearly. But afterward he describes his vision being “clear” though. Bit more spoiley here: While we see his visions before then, we don’t really get as much of his POV after the point where he decides to use his messianic status. The film starts to distance itself from him and we view him more from Chani’s POV as he turns from a heroic figure into a more of a frightening one.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

deoju posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels is that Mohiam asks the Baron for sperm and he rapes her as a gently caress you, and in retaliation she looks through her inventory of contained diseases and gives him the incurable one that turned him into a fat disgusting blob. Before that he was fit. Also now you know the fun story of how Lady Jessica was conceived.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels

Crazy string of words here.

Bugblatter posted:

Just got out of the film. Loved it. It certainly takes a lot more liberties with the source material than the Part 1, but I like the changes. It’s quite a lot darker in its back half. Stunning on a visual and auditory level.

If you’ve seen the film, tying many of the phrases to Islamic groups would come off as negative portrayals of those groups… I don’t think we need more portrayals of of Islamic peoples as violent fundamentalists. The Algerian Liberation Front certainly aught not be tied to the use of the phrases in the film… it wouldn’t be an empowering allusion.

I really don't agree. I don't see how having Chalamet spouting literal nonsense words is a less harmful of a depiction of arab/islamic culture. If you're sanitizing your movie to preempt criticisms from right wing reactionaries then you're doing it wrong.

edit: Just want to be clear that I love these movies but this element (as well as the lack of MENA actors) is a real bummer. ]\

edit2: This was kind of fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zf2cfwjzg4

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 28, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels is that Mohiam asks the Baron for sperm and he rapes her as a gently caress you, and in retaliation she looks through her inventory of contained diseases and gives him the incurable one that turned him into a fat disgusting blob. Before that he was fit. Also now you know the fun story of how Lady Jessica was conceived.
Nah, the prequels don’t exist.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Scags McDouglas posted:

Thats much less interesting than it being an aspect of his own being

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Good film. Looks and sounds beautiful. Much bigger changes from the book than Part One had. The ending is beefed up, but still a bit weak. Lots of Chani and she's good.

Stilgar is basically comic relief, which sucks. Almost all the Fremen stuff looks amazing. The acting is good; Feyd Rautha stuck out. Also, there's a lot less emphasis on the Kwisatch Haderach aspect of the plot and Paul's struggle with his destiny - the Water of Life bit is especially undercooked. Although the last scene of Chani going away makes sense in context, it makes a Dune Messiah film trickier.

E: they actually use "fundamentalists" to describe the more religious Fremen.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BastardySkull posted:

I don't remember that. can Paul not see Fenring because Fenring was a failed Haderach? Wss I supposed to take the implication this could happen to Paul against Feyd as well? I missed a lot when I first read the books

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Safety Biscuits posted:

E: they actually use "fundamentalists" to describe the more religious Fremen.
I mean, "fundamentalism" is just "strict adherence to the fundamentals of a subject or discipline". It can be applied to any religion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scags McDouglas posted:

Well don't like that

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Well don't like that

Yeah its such trash, completely misses the point of the Baron's hideousness being a choice he has made as an act of abuse/terror against his many victims.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also Mohaim being Jessica's mom is dumb

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also Mohaim being Jessica's mom is dumb

Also Children Of Dune explicitly names her mother as Tanidia Nerus.