Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

It's certainly not progressive and this kind of joke wouldn't pass the editor for near any other ethnicity. (Poles like Czechs and Lithuanians are far too white for making fun of them with stereotypes to be considered punching down, while at the same time those stereotypes are the same ones the most privelleged white people have of other groups being less intelligent, less educated, monolingual, greedier and lazier but at the same time somehow more 'real', handy and family oriented).) But I guess we all do know this guy he very much exists:

https://www.theonion.com/polish-man-that-landlord-sent-over-smashes-hammer-throu-1851285768

Is there a Sopranos-equivalent for Polish-Americans, doing extreme :iceburn:s one after the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The best street food is grilled cheese dumplings (the one that look like pierogies) from the stalls selling góralskie sery and homemade cranberry sauce.

Except they started to serve pure cow's milk cheese instead of the ones they sold in block and served it with cranberry sauce out of a supermarket container rather than the stuff they sold in jars.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

how dare you

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

The best street food is grilled cheese dumplings (the one that look like pierogies) from the stalls selling góralskie sery and homemade cranberry sauce.

Except they started to serve pure cow's milk cheese instead of the ones they sold in block and served it with cranberry sauce out of a supermarket container rather than the stuff they sold in jars.

Are you talking about oscypki or something else?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah you can get small pierogi shaped oscypki and they usually grill them, unlike the larger can-sized variety.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Rappaport posted:

Is there a Sopranos-equivalent for Polish-Americans, doing extreme :iceburn:s one after the other?

The season of The Wire focusing on the dockyard has Polish-American gangsters. It's one loose set but the 3 main dudes are very different.

Dude 1 and the children he uses as runners dress and act like they're in a bad rap video. People low-key thinks he's a bit of a clown because of this (as Dude 3 lets him know). He does have a bit more street smarts than people given him credit though.

Dude 2 comes from a little bit of money and has a big daddy's boy complex. He's trying to become Scarface without putting in the work. Combined, he gets less respect than even Dude 1 not just from gangsters of other ethnicities but from his own as well.

Dude 3 is Dude 2's cousin. He doesn't try to be anything he's not. This gets him some respect and so he can deal with people higher up enough in other sets and get a better deal on heroin. Even the killers don't really see a point of crossing him since he's a more serious dude. But that same pride has consequences: he is basically a part-time drug kingpin who won't give up on his dream of being a full-time union employee like his dad. So he works what in British English is called a "zero hour" contract where you must be ready to work any days of the month but are not guaranteed more than a handful, and he lives with his parents and is constantly broke despite being the nominal top dog.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Bright Bart posted:

It's certainly not progressive and this kind of joke wouldn't pass the editor for near any other ethnicity. (Poles like Czechs and Lithuanians are far too white for making fun of them with stereotypes to be considered punching down, while at the same time those stereotypes are the same ones the most privelleged white people have of other groups being less intelligent, less educated, monolingual, greedier and lazier but at the same time somehow more 'real', handy and family oriented).) But I guess we all do know this guy he very much exists:

https://www.theonion.com/polish-man-that-landlord-sent-over-smashes-hammer-throu-1851285768

Slavs are kinda "white enough to make fun of them, not white enough to treat them equally" people, especially in Western Europe.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Season 2 of The Wire has its story kick off due to a rivalry between two Polish Americans beefing over who gets to donate a stained glass window to the community church.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I thought "polish jokes" were gone, but like Ted Turner they can't die. I've seen Cringey McBoomerface Jon Steward use one pretty recently.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

alex314 posted:

Cringey McBoomerface

Jon Stewart is pretty much square in the middle of gen x

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Jon Stewart is pretty much square in the middle of gen x

He was born in 1962, so he's late boomer.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

alex314 posted:

He was born in 1962, so he's late boomer.

chronologically maybe, but not culturally

the guy was the host of short attention span theater, hung out with janeane garofalo, and was in half baked, the guy is gen x

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Szarrukin posted:

Slavs are kinda "white enough to make fun of them, not white enough to treat them equally" people, especially in Western Europe.
When I was in university, I worked on one of the school papers. They were going to publish a story one time that had a few Polish jokes and stereotypes in it. I asked why they were necessary and if they could be changed to something more neutral. Their response was "It's OK to make fun of them because Poles are white". I said if that was the case, why not change the characters in the jokes to British or German. I was told "Because then the jokes aren't funny". I eventually got them to drop the article but I had to forward the email chain around to other people outside of the paper.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Navalny’s funeral is taking place now. Over a thousand people showed up, despite access being limited by throngs of security forces and mobile reception getting jammed. The Kremlin via Peskov, being its classy self, refused to comment. Navalny’s body was not made available to the family on time.

I wonder if this is the darkest moment before dawn type of situation for Russian opposition. I don’t think they’ve ever had things as dire post 89.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I read yesterday that his family was having trouble getting his body to the church because hearse drivers were refusing to transport his body.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It was worse - most churches and funeral parlors refused service, and its hard to say if this was purely out of fear or whether pressure was exerted. Good to see someone stepped up.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Funeral services in Russia are a massive racket, usually controlled by ex-cops or their families, depending on administrative connections to maintain control over the client flow straight from the hospitals and over precious graveyard land.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fatherboxx posted:

Funeral services in Russia are a massive racket, usually controlled by ex-cops or their families, depending on administrative connections to maintain control over the client flow straight from the hospitals and over precious graveyard land.

yeah, ivan golunov's famous trumped up drug charge stemmed from an investigation into that https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/07/01/bad-company

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news, finally found the elusive luxurious Polish product!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Actually Polish and German and basically all European bathroom tissue is trash even the higher end rolls.

Some EU agency needs to get on this.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 5, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of consumer protection GDPR is cool and all but your right to things like accessing a copy of your data or having it erased or at least have it stop being processed is inconsitantly applied. Very inconsistantly. I'd say maybe half of the times I made a GDPR request there was an adaquete response, if there was one at all.

Some Spanish lawyer was saying yeah you can contact the data regulator in your country when that happens but he's done this numerous times on behalf of clients and never recieved a response to a single email or letter, that registered letters he's sent on law firm envelopes just get refused and sent back, and nobody has ever picked up the phone when he called. So he sadly doesn't even accept these cases anymore.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 5, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Laws are only as good as states are willing to enforce them. The GDPR is pretty toothless in the more corrupt parts of Germany as well.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Right to be forgotten has some serious limitations where I need to keep transaction data about you for regulatory or audit purposes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Rust Martialis posted:

Right to be forgotten has some serious limitations where I need to keep transaction data about you for regulatory or audit purposes.

Yup. Sometimes for years.

But by complying with your request the company cannot store that unrequired data (which is often what you want gone), they can no longer sell or trade any of your data (well they can but it'd then be a risk of a class action lawsuit down the line as opposed to individual complaints to regulators), they can no longer use your data in new ways(*), and they won't send you email updates from different accounts you chase blocking which while not harmful are annoying since you don't want to be a user anymore anyways (unless the system just keeps doing it).

So yeah, a lot of caveats.

*This is the insidious one. Companies have done worse than change their privacy policy from 'Your data will be stored encrypted, entirely on EU servers. We will never sell, trade, or share your data with any outside entity. Your data will never be used for marketing purposes. We will only provide your data to law enforcement or other government agencies when we are provided with a legitimate, binding court order that has been reviewed by at least two separate members of our legal team and challenged if this is possible. We will compensate you fully for any damages that occur as the result of an unlikely data breach.' to 'Your data will be stored on carefully chosen commercial servers. We will exchange your data only with our trusted partners. Your data may be used for marketing purposes in a legal manner. We will provide your data to law enforcement or other government agencies only with a written request. We will notify you of any data breach that may affect your data should this be required by law in your jurisdiction.'

Sometimes the change is all at once. And if you can't opt out of the process you can't opt out of the change in policy.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Counting down my three favourite excuses not to comply with a request:

3. GDPR concerns user data and not user accounts on an website, application, or service or your continued status as a user. We do not delete accounts, and as your data is tied to these accounts we have no way of erasing it.

2. You are not a user, but a valued data-partner.

1. Of course we are more than happy to help our users exercise their rights. And we assuredly comply with any local, national, or European laws where this is physically possible. However our service does not currently have a process for disclosing, stopping the collection, or erasure of user data.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Using facial recognition technology, police in Russia have started arresting people who attended Navalny's funeral.

https://meduza.io/en/news/2024/03/05/russian-authorities-using-video-footage-to-identify-and-arrest-people-who-attended-navalny-s-funeral

quote:

Russian authorities using video footage to identify and arrest people who attended Navalny’s funeral

Police in Moscow have begun arresting people who attended Alexey Navalny’s funeral on March 1, according to the human rights project OVD-Info.

Several of the arrestees were either filmed by surveillance cameras at the event or appeared in footage that was posted online. One Moscow woman, for example, was charged with “displaying a banned symbol” after the police heard her say “Glory to the heroes,” the traditional response to the salute “Glory to Ukraine,” in a video.

Commenting on the arrests, OVD-Info spokesman Dmitry Anisimov told journalists from the news site Agentstvo that Moscow’s facial recognition system allows the authorities to “trace the path of every individual right up to their door.”

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone here seen The Regime yet? Haven’t heard about it up until today, apparently it has Kate Winslet playing the chancellor of a non-descript eastern European country sliding into autocracy.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
In a move that shocked absolutely nobody on the left, Szymon Hołownia has decided that we don't need to discuss abortion rights in the Sejm until after the local elections are held in April.

https://oko.press/holownia-mrozi-aborcje-a-jego-wyborcy-chca-tej-ustawy

(Sorry for the lack of translated quote, not feeling particularly hot today)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

My hands-down favourite milk bar, conveniently just down the block, is closing at the end of the month.

Other thn having spectacular food, the proprietor is the kindest business owner I've met. She hardly deserve that job description. She would offer off-menu 'half size' meals (which were a tually more than half the size) to those who looked like they needed to watch their wallets. And gave the people asking for them things like an extra meal to go if they looked like they needed that too. As for everyone else, you got freebies more often than not. Or if you went to order something small afterwards like a drink or a small dessert your wallet would get waved away too.

But that is unlikely to be the cause of going under. It's right by a busy tram stop and next to a business park. It's packed all the time and the prices aren't any lower than the average. Maybe a grosz higher.

She says that she can't find employees because they can't afford to live on what she can afford to pay them and she can't afford to pay what they can live on. And that she can't get by charging the prices she does, but charging enough to get by would mean nobody could afford to eat and she'd go bankrupt just as quickily.

Been in business 21 years

RIP to a real one

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That sucks! Milk bars are excellent and the new one that cropped up in the last few years seem to be doing great. It’s the old established ones that are packing it in.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

armpit_enjoyer posted:

In a move that shocked absolutely nobody on the left, Szymon Hołownia has decided that we don't need to discuss abortion rights in the Sejm until after the local elections are held in April.

https://oko.press/holownia-mrozi-aborcje-a-jego-wyborcy-chca-tej-ustawy

(Sorry for the lack of translated quote, not feeling particularly hot today)

surprised_pikachu.jpg

I never had high hopes about our new government and yet they still manage to disappoint me.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
quality bits from eastern europe emigre academia twitter

https://twitter.com/k_sonin/status/1767788769887862977

like sure there is one thing they agree on but

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

quality bits from eastern europe emigre academia twitter

Okay sure that seems like patting ourselves on the back but "In the 21st century Poland leads Europe" is exactly the kind of overenthusiastic message you might come across in politics/economics-focused media written by authors from the United States, France, or Singapore who have no Polish heritage and no skin in the game. It's just a headline that's floating around right now even more so after the elections.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Has any Czech goon here had a chance to seen The Spaceman? I'm genuinely curious if Adam Sandler's accent is a genuine attempt at a West Slavic accent, broadly eastern european maybe with some Russian or Hollywood Transylvanian thrown in, or just played for laughs as foreign e.g. Borat?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 14, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're asking if I voluntarily watched an Adam Sandler movie?

From the trailer at least it seems that his accent isn't particularly heavy or distinctive, which I guess is better than doing a Borat in what looks like an attempted serious movie.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

mobby_6kl posted:

You're asking if I voluntarily watched an Adam Sandler movie?

Uncut Gems is a seriously amazing movie, don't count out adam sandler

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Oh I didn't realize it wasn't a goofball comedy. But yeah Sandler's won me over when he plays a real person and not a caricature. I didn't give that to him easily since I found him outright grating when doing schtick.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I looked at the trailer and I don't think he is doing any accent?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bright Bart posted:

Has any Czech goon here had a chance to seen The Spaceman? I'm genuinely curious if Adam Sandler's accent is a genuine attempt at a West Slavic accent, broadly eastern european maybe with some Russian or Hollywood Transylvanian thrown in, or just played for laughs as foreign e.g. Borat?

Frankly I'm too scared to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This is my bad all over.

It's not out yet and it isn't meant as a goofball comedy.

I mean, I still am kind if curious how they'll get the accent but I'm putting away my pitchfork.