Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

:hmmyes:

e: At least I only need to see which plug is lit. I don't know what trying to do precise work with the lag and autoexposure of a phone camera would be like but I doubt it's great.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
wouldnt all that uv be hell on the camera sensor? right thread for that reason alone

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I did a job where we had a pair of brand new 1MVA generators that needed to be load tested as part of the contract. Some guy came out with a glorified hair dryer and a ton of welding cable and hooked the whole mess up to the generators. He then proceeded to run the pair of them at 2.2MVA (110% rated) for one full earth hour. After 10 minutes, we could see the exhaust manifolds in the enclosure. After 20 minutes, we could see them in the daylight. At 40 minutes, they looked like the picture in visible light: glowing orange up to the exhaust. They never got hot enough that the exhaust pipe itself gave anything more than a faint dull glow in the dark, and not all the way through the muffler.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raluek posted:

wouldnt all that uv be hell on the camera sensor? right thread for that reason alone

The lens absorbs most of it.

I’d be more worried about overheating the sensor with visible light plus infrared.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
watch the steering wheel
https://packaged-media.redd.it/m2fb...dede5975c17#t=0

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I really hate those cheap aftermarket wheels. Not only do you lose the airbag if your car had ones but they’re basically sheet tin covered in foam.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Is it me, or does that shifter move on its own a couple times? Broken mount?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no seatbelt
passenger airbag goes off with no passenger
steering wheel comes off
it's a poo poo box driven at speed by an idiot, guys

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so fess up, which one of you was it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dont even think he was driving that fast :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I really hate those cheap aftermarket wheels. Not only do you lose the airbag if your car had ones but they’re basically sheet tin covered in foam.

Yeah, I briefly had a cheap wheel on my RX-7, and removed it when it bent every time I used it to brace myself getting in or out of the car.
Nope, no thank you.

I believe it was the Hoonigan guys who demonstrated this my basically bending a no-name wheel back and forth enough to fatigue fracture it within about 3 minutes.

Leperflesh posted:

no seatbelt
passenger airbag goes off with no passenger
steering wheel comes off
it's a poo poo box driven at speed by an idiot, guys

Yeah, pretty much.

edit: I love that he pulls the handbrake when getting out. That, and the cell phone going off after he gets out is comedy.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Darchangel posted:

I believe it was the Hoonigan guys who demonstrated this my basically bending a no-name wheel back and forth enough to fatigue fracture it within about 3 minutes.

i've seen it a handful of times before and never really watched the hoonigans so i'm guessing that was a kinda common video

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Large Testicles posted:

i've seen it a handful of times before and never really watched the hoonigans so i'm guessing that was a kinda common video

May have been someone else, but I know it was a cheap versus brand-name thing building a race (or "race") car.

This is not the one, but Donut did one as part of a series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8ItdWKvEQ&t=152s
(about 2:35 if it doesn't start there. The previous part was knockoff wheels, next is racing gloves.)

This one is great, because he wasn't trying to find out, but did anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYmtMJ-ylk&t=262s
4:22 - he's trying to get the hub adapter to break loose to change to an actual quality wheel. Note that when they show the wheel afterward that the ends of the spokes appear to be anodized, meaning the spokes were never welded to the ring.

edit: I'd also like to note that these idiots have apparently never used a steering wheel puller - or at least didn't have one available.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 27, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Let's just make modifying your car illegal. Doesn't matter what. Everything not completely stock, ride height, rims, tires, all suspension, exhaust everything, headlights, taillights you name it. Humanity doesn't deserve to be allowed anything good or fun.

E: sure you don't have to go to the dealer for everything. You can go to Napa or AutoZone or a tire shop for brake pads, shocks tires etc but all have to be OE spec.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 27, 2024

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Let's just make modifying your car illegal. Doesn't matter what. Everything not completely stock, ride height, rims, tires, all suspension, exhaust everything, headlights, taillights you name it. Humanity doesn't deserve to be allowed anything good or fun.

E: sure you don't have to go to the dealer for everything. You can go to Napa or AutoZone or a tire shop for brake pads, shocks tires etc but all have to be OE spec.

Some countries do this.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
No company would ever lie about the safety and reliability of their products

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

No company would ever lie about the safety and reliability of their products

waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes, and even seas that aren’t too choppy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

welcome to california, lol

not really, but sometimes it feels like it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

this but unironically. Nobody knows how to modify a car and run it on the street

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

only with that weirdo modern stuff

just stay pre-76 like normal and it's fine

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Aww look at you guys reinventing the european system, where you are only allowed to change for OEM spec (or type approved parts on less critical parts). If you want to do any custom modding, you need to register the mod and have its safety assessed by a civil engineer.
How about you guys just start with regular inspections?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

SEKCobra posted:

Aww look at you guys reinventing the european system, where you are only allowed to change for OEM spec (or type approved parts on less critical parts). If you want to do any custom modding, you need to register the mod and have its safety assessed by a civil engineer.

I wish. I see some terrifying cars on the road here in Arizona sometimes

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like the Washington system, it allows some really scary poo poo boxes on the road but also allows my scary poo poo boxes on the road as a result.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kastein posted:

I like the Washington system, it allows some really scary poo poo boxes on the road but also allows my scary poo poo boxes on the road as a result.

I played myself by not only moving to one of the two counties in the state that required emissions testing but also updated my address, while my truck had the idiot light on. I had to pull the bed to replace the evap cylinder to get it registered :downs:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SEKCobra posted:

I'm not sure I'd trust a civil engineer to evaluate any car mods.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Basic safety inspections would go a long way, even ignoring engine/performance mods.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wesleywillis posted:

Would you trust an uncivil engineer?

CommieGIR posted:

Basic safety inspections would go a long way, even ignoring engine/performance mods.
:agreed:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Civil “engineers” stole the title from the folks what make siege engines, and it’s all been downhill since.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Would you trust an uncivil engineer?

:agreed:

I've met a bunch of uncivil civil engineers. They can pretty much all gently caress off.
Geotechnical engineers can be idiots too. And don't get me started on..... aw gently caress it, I hate everyone.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

wesleywillis posted:

Ever watched the videos from Australia where the cops get super-duper-excited about catching a driver who has modified a car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6eCFGYR5A

Nothing like giving cops more arbitrary laws to enforce on a whim...

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/mad-max-interceptor-replica-deemed-cool-looking-but-unsafe-by-the-australian-police/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

Worked well on the Hyatt walkway and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Wasn't the Hyatt walkway a structural engineer?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Like most things involving the police, the issue is involving the police for matters outside of their job description. Whether or not there's the political will to do things right rather than do things in a way that cause issues and enrich people is another.

We do safety inspections in PA. That's all well and good and I'm thankful that it does keep a lot of crap off the roads. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that near the border with OH, OH vehicles are much more likely to cause an accident due to brake failures since they don't have to get inspected.

The problem in PA is that the while places have to be certified to perform safety inspections, those places are also dealerships and other repair garages so they are incentivized to fail vehicles so that they can then offer overpriced repairs. I've run into that myself, a garage trying to tell me that they see evidence that my brake pads were separating from the backing plate (it was bullshit, I had checked them prior to taking it in, the pads were older and worn, but not falling apart and not below minimums) but they would do a brake job for me on the spot with new pads for $750! So I said no, took it home, put new pads on for $80 and then took it back for them to put the sticker on.

Then you have the people who risk their inspection license being lenient for family and friends.

On top of that, the state inspection code is very loose in a lot of places that leaves it open for interpretation. My 2011 WRX had a slight crack in one of the fog light lenses from a rock. It still worked. PA inspection code states that all original lights on a vehicle must be operational and not broken in order to pass, except for fog lights. However, if they fog lights do not function, they have to be removed to pass. I had a slight crack that was barely visible. 3 years I had my car inspected with it like that and it passed. 4th year "failed inspection due to broken fog light lens." They wouldn't pass me unless the lights were removed and then they turned around and wanted to charge me an obscene amount of labor to remove them. I got them to pull that charge after I pointed out that this car has been inspected in this condition for 3 prior years without incident. The issue here with the wording of "broken lenses". Is a hairline crack that doesn't affect the optics of the lens qualify as broken? Code doesn't say. Apparently the prior inspectors thought it was fine, this guy didn't.

So, you have to have a rigorous and specific inspection code with independent government run inspection facilities in order to do this right. This is all complicated by the state nature in the US where every state and even county can have different laws. Here's another way laws can lag. Emissions laws in PA are really centered around the idea of smog and local air pollution. Because of that, only 25 of the most populous out of 67 counties in PA require emissions testing on vehicles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Nah CA only cares about what comes outta the tailpipe, The state does not care about 32 lightbars and bald terrains so long as the emissions gear is intact and working.

If you're gonna derail, put some effort into it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bull3964 posted:

So, you have to have a rigorous and specific inspection code with independent government run inspection facilities in order to do this right. This is all complicated by the state nature in the US where every state and even county can have different laws. Here's another way laws can lag. Emissions laws in PA are really centered around the idea of smog and local air pollution. Because of that, only 25 of the most populous out of 67 counties in PA require emissions testing on vehicles.

There's no need to use government run inspection facilities, they just can't be allowed to do repairs.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The government doesn't directly test the safety of cars leaving the factory, you think they'd accept the responsibility of directly testing cars that are already on the road?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I get my inspections done by the AAA equivalent, they don't do repairs and have no incentive either direction. They'll tell me if something is problematic and pass me otherwise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Saukkis posted:

There's no need to use government run inspection facilities, they just can't be allowed to do repairs.

The question is the funding.

If all a shop does is vehicle safety inspections, it's not going to be profitable and no one is going to do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Nah CA only cares about what comes outta the tailpipe, The state does not care about 32 lightbars and bald terrains so long as the emissions gear is intact and working.

If you're gonna derail, put some effort into it.

engine swap your post-1974 and then try and register it, oh, it's not the OEM engine, hmm, that's not gonna be fun
https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/smog-check-program/engine-changes

oh anything to do with the emissions chain is aftermarket and not on the approved list of specific parts, and your cat insn't installed and stamped, that's an issue

but yeah did you see the spoilered part because it really isn't a huge deal unless you're trying to put an LS1 into your 2000 mazda or something

quote:

California Engine Change Guidelines

- California Certification A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49-state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

- Certification Standards. Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust - controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

- Classification. Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non-emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off-road-use-only engines may not be placed in any exhaust-controlled vehicle.

- Computer Controls. If a computer-controlled engine is installed in a non-computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

- Emission Control Configuration. Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine-chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

- Emission Warranty. Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

- Engine Modifications. No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB-exempted or EPA-certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

- Original Equipment. The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel-to-gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fill pipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

- Smog Inspection. These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe).

install light bars and let your tires go bald and do your hella flush mods and cut the springs etc. etc. and that's all cool and good, but don't you dare install the wrong engine unless you jump through a shitload of hoops and then get it past a special "referee" inspection.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've done bar ref legal engine swaps with the door jamb stamp and have plated 2 stroke motorcycles in the state of CA.That's all been 10-15 years ago now though.
I have also smogged innumerable cars with carb certified EO modifications. The bar-ref stations are usually extremely helpful and carry volumes of information on power-trains and their respective emissions systems. Don't show up as an arrogant dumbass and you'll get the help if your project falls short.

You're right about using knockoff catcons with dubious quality. None of the things on that repower list are really issues. Don't put a Detroit 60 in your civic, don't put a smogdog 1977 caddy in your 1998 yukon, don't lobotomize pcms, etc. It's actually very easy in CA with specific avenues to do such as you've pointed out. The donor engine and all of its systems have to be carried over. That's really the biggest hurdle since advanced evaporative loss systems circa 1997 can be a pain if the air chamber volume is altered. IE: installing a later engine into an earlier car with its original fuel tank. Tbh I'd skip any '95-97 repower anyway despite the "simplicity".

NV and AZ do not have such provisions and what it came with is what it needs to have. AZ metros go so far as checking the vin in the pcm. See IOC's jeep thread for more.
CA is doing hash checks on pcm flashes pretty sure as of this year.

This is why I said let's end the derail. There are far worse states out there for making a repower legal, and they're CA's neighbors!