Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t trust regular brushes to get clean. There’s no way you’re really gonna be able to get all the gunk out from between those bristles. At least the silicone ones are totally bendy so you can really get into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vegetable posted:

I don’t trust regular brushes to get clean. There’s no way you’re really gonna be able to get all the gunk out from between those bristles. At least the silicone ones are totally bendy so you can really get into them.

Literally just use the Bob Ross method against the bottom of your sink / the drain hole. Use soap, smoosh, beat, rinse, repeat 2 more times and you're good to go! When I first started this, I was skeptical so I would suck the wet bristles to see if I could get a taste of leftover butter or soap or w/e. I trust it with my life now.

https://youtu.be/KM971KEFVco?si=ZllksXz-AnHll8Ha

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been pretty happy with my silicone brush for years. Relatively easy to clean, even in the dishwasher, will probably last forever, and spreads stuff just fine even if it takes some extra trips to the bowl of whatever. If i were doing high throughput cooking like a pro I'd definitely use bristle brush and replace as needed, but for the occasional egg warsh or butter baste it's fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't use a hair brush to apply a lye solution

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

I use the Winco boar bristle pastry brushes. They're like US$3 a pop and I've never noticed any problems with them shedding.

Great suggestion!
In my shop, I use plain old paintbrushes for brushing out the fudge case, but for anything that touches actual food, I use the Winco boar bristle brushes.

Sidebar:
Badger hair brushes can be used to polish off chocolate bloom, to a near miraculous degree. It's always better to prevent bloom in the first place, but this can help fix mistakes. Just don't ever get it wet.
Here are the ones I use:
https://www.hilliardschocolate.com/pages/cfUtensils_Details_Brushes.cfm

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my experience, it's harder to be light-handed with a silicone brush; the bristles are too coarse. Skill issue, no doubt.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Silicone brush with the things in the middle with the holes = good

Without holes = bad

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Silicone-Basting-Pastry/dp/B000JPSI8C

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody know a restaurant-supply place that sells mail-order to the public? The first couple of places I looked at charged $30+ shipping for even the smallest of orders.

The closest restaurant supply house to me is a 4-hour round trip away.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/

the shipping's a perennial thing, because $30 really is trivial for a business. there's a $0/shipment shipping program w/ webstaurant but it's a subscription for $100/mo

katom's is almost always more like $10

https://www.katom.com/

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 28, 2024

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i also like webrestaurantstore but you unfortunately just have to eat the shipping costs. it's not worth it unless you can fill up a big cart.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I only want a few of these things: https://www.katom.com/080-CVST6K.html and the pastry brush mentioned upthread. Amazon doesn't have the good plastic tongs.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Maybe there's a goon or friend near you who can tag some onto their next order?

mystes
May 31, 2006

hypnophant posted:

i also like webrestaurantstore but you unfortunately just have to eat the shipping costs. it's not worth it unless you can fill up a big cart.
The shipping isn't flat rate so I don't think even that works

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

I've had a Victorinox set for years that I like well enough, but I'm not sure how much they cost now. I run them through the dishwasher a lot and they're still going strong.

Not a Children posted:

Ditto on the victorinox. $30-40 for a set of 6.

Hell yeah, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OK so this is probably the right place to ask about this.

I moved to Canada 5 years ago from the UK and one thing that has driven me slightly crazy is the difference in kitchen appliances. There seems to be a HUGE fuckin' premium here for built-in ovens.

In the UK I could get a NEFF built-in oven starting from £449GBP including tax. NEFF are a great brand, I've had one of their ovens before and it was perfect. Very reliable, good reputation etc. and good performance. They're owned by Bosch.

Now, NEFF aren't available here, which, fine, but it seems if you want a "name brand" built-in oven here they start at like $1500 +tax - so like $1700CAD with the tax, which is ~£1000GBP - more than double the price for the equivalent thing in the UK.

So for now I ended up buying a Frigidaire induction range for like $1300CAD, 'cause Frigidaire is supposedly a "premium" brand and I thought they'd make good poo poo. They don't. It loving sucks. It doesn't hold temperature well and it was also sold as "true convection", but if you change the temperature the upper grill/broiler element comes on and so does the element in the bottom and if you have food in there already it gets burnt to a crisp. Also it makes horrible vibration noises and the cooling fan for the induction cooktop is noisy as poo poo, and the induction cooktop does not heat evenly at all.

Also I bought a Frigidaire dishwasher that's loving melted its own internal components several times due to lovely design.

Does anybody have any tips particularly on an oven brand that is not total poo poo and also not ridiculously expensive? I could get a Miele or something but they're like $6k. I guess mostly I just want an oven that is actual convection, with all the heat coming from the element in the rear with the fan, instead of whatever that Frigidaire bullshit is, and ideally it would hold temperature well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

OK so this is probably the right place to ask about this.

I moved to Canada 5 years ago from the UK and one thing that has driven me slightly crazy is the difference in kitchen appliances. There seems to be a HUGE fuckin' premium here for built-in ovens.

In the UK I could get a NEFF built-in oven starting from £449GBP including tax. NEFF are a great brand, I've had one of their ovens before and it was perfect. Very reliable, good reputation etc. and good performance. They're owned by Bosch.

Now, NEFF aren't available here, which, fine, but it seems if you want a "name brand" built-in oven here they start at like $1500 +tax - so like $1700CAD with the tax, which is ~£1000GBP - more than double the price for the equivalent thing in the UK.

So for now I ended up buying a Frigidaire induction range for like $1300CAD, 'cause Frigidaire is supposedly a "premium" brand and I thought they'd make good poo poo. They don't. It loving sucks. It doesn't hold temperature well and it was also sold as "true convection", but if you change the temperature the upper grill/broiler element comes on and so does the element in the bottom and if you have food in there already it gets burnt to a crisp. Also it makes horrible vibration noises and the cooling fan for the induction cooktop is noisy as poo poo, and the induction cooktop does not heat evenly at all.

Also I bought a Frigidaire dishwasher that's loving melted its own internal components several times due to lovely design.

Does anybody have any tips particularly on an oven brand that is not total poo poo and also not ridiculously expensive? I could get a Miele or something but they're like $6k. I guess mostly I just want an oven that is actual convection, with all the heat coming from the element in the rear with the fan, instead of whatever that Frigidaire bullshit is, and ideally it would hold temperature well.

My Whirlpool oven is true convection and it seems to do well (came with my place which was reno'd about 8 years ago so it's probably from that time). It's a glass-top (ceramic?) electric, but I assume the new ones are induction stovetops. I've monitored the temp with a calibrated digital thermometer and it oscillates +/-25F from the set temperature in a sinwave pattern, I'm guessing most ovens actually do this but at least it's averaging to the correct value.

e: Hope you're enjoying the country, I'm on the west coast.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 2, 2024

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is Bosch also not available in the US? They are a much bigger brand than Neff and I'm very happy with my higher end Bosch range, oven and dishwasher.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eezee posted:

Is Bosch also not available in the US? They are a much bigger brand than Neff and I'm very happy with my higher end Bosch range, oven and dishwasher.

He lives in Canada, one of several countries outside of the US, but yeah we have all the usual stuff here. I honestly think all these huge brands are fully worldwide at this point.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

He lives in Canada, one of several countries outside of the US, but yeah we have all the usual stuff here. I honestly think all these huge brands are fully worldwide at this point.

I think that's the problem with saying 'All the usual brands'. I don't know if Fridgeidair is available outside the US. Neff is essentially not available in the US at all, the only stockist in the Americas is in Chile. For me Neff is a really normal brand, I love my Neff oven so it's surprising it's just not available in the US.

I guess Neff is owned by the same people as Bosch, both Siemens companies so it would make sense they segment by region.

Do you have AEG in the US? My AEG induction hob is great.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah Bosch exist in Canada it's just that their ranges here inexplicably start at something like $3000CAD+ tax but were available in the UK for £279GBP including tax.

Wall ovens are ~$2300CAD + Tax.

There must be some loving insane levels of collusion and price-fixing going on here. That works out to 7x the price and I can't wrap my head around any other reason for that much of an uplift. Particularly for wall ovens. They're such simple appliances. Some electric-resistive heating elements, a fan and motor, the body/casing and insulation and some basic electronics and controls....

I'll put AEG and Whirlpool on my mental list of good brands though, thanks. They do seem to be similarly expensive as Bosch here.

Ultimately if I have to pay like $3000 for an oven that doesn't suck, I will, but I'll be pissed off about it.

I'd consider importing an oven here from Europe but a)it sounds like a huge load of hassle, organising the shipping and all that, b)there are differences between the European and American power supply, and c)apparently you need to get ovens and large electrical appliances certified by some safety authority otherwise your home insurance is void in case of a fire - even if not started by the appliance.

There are also considerations around parts and servicing etc. but I'm not as worried about that part, since, like I said, they're very simple and I don't think I've ever had an oven of any brand break on me.

If people have other recommendations for convection ovens etc. that are very good then I'd still appreciate them. I have no idea how GE, KitchenAid and other (seemingly) common North American brands are, in terms of their ovens.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Huh, just took a look at Canadian best buy and those prices are insane. Not only is everything at least 4 times as expensive, the few cooktops they actually sell have a lot less features than the ones available in Germany. You can't even use a griddle on any of them :psyduck:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WhatEvil, how close are you to the border?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Have you considered finding stuff on Facebook marketplace or the like? resale value on kitchen appliances is pretty soft, might snag a deal on a Bosch or a Miele.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Eezee posted:

Huh, just took a look at Canadian best buy and those prices are insane. Not only is everything at least 4 times as expensive, the few cooktops they actually sell have a lot less features than the ones available in Germany. You can't even use a griddle on any of them :psyduck:

Yeah exactly. It's nuts. I have seen the griddle / linking function on some cooktops you can get here but again they're stupidly expensive.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

WhatEvil, how close are you to the border?

Ottawa, so yeah pretty close - like an hour. I have had a look at US Lowes for example and prices don't seem too different from Canada though.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Have you considered finding stuff on Facebook marketplace or the like? resale value on kitchen appliances is pretty soft, might snag a deal on a Bosch or a Miele.

Yeah I guess I'll keep an eye out the next time I come to buy appliances.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is kitchen equipment, I guess: anybody have a brand of tumbler-style cups they like? Maybe that is not even the right name but I've got a ~20yr old set of these plastic/acrylic ones and I think my dishwasher is murdering them, I've lost two of them in the last three days. There is an insane amount of choices in this space and idk where to even start. Current cups are 24oz and I'd love to get something of similar size to replace, maybe in glass instead? Anybody got a recommendation?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Duralex Picardie, but I think they max out at 16 oz.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sirotan posted:

This is kitchen equipment, I guess: anybody have a brand of tumbler-style cups they like? Maybe that is not even the right name but I've got a ~20yr old set of these plastic/acrylic ones and I think my dishwasher is murdering them, I've lost two of them in the last three days. There is an insane amount of choices in this space and idk where to even start. Current cups are 24oz and I'd love to get something of similar size to replace, maybe in glass instead? Anybody got a recommendation?

I don't have a brand recommendation for you, however I do have a recommendation to not order these off Amazon whenever you do decide. Due to the sheer amount of fraudulent/counterfeit product on there, and the fact that they not only intermix legit product with product from other vendors (and no supply chain security whatsoever), the chance of you getting a real set of tumblers vs. a facsimile is alarmingly high.

This matters because you're going to be drinking from them - the plastic needs to be foodsafe.

Some quick googling found me a couple options, I have no affiliation to any of these. I can't even vouch for their products, but I'd trust them over Amazon at least.

https://www.saveacup.com/
https://www.cuptureusa.com/
https://www.usacrylic.com/

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Been using these for a decade and see no reason to switch yet.
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/bodega-mixed-glasses-set-of-18/s461364

e:fixed link

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 4, 2024

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Duralex Picardie, but I think they max out at 16 oz.

Seconding this. If you must have 20oz+ I'd just go with pint glasses, but the duralex tumblers are a bit fancier, come in a range of sizes and colors, and are very durable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't have a brand recommendation for you, however I do have a recommendation to not order these off Amazon whenever you do decide. Due to the sheer amount of fraudulent/counterfeit product on there, and the fact that they not only intermix legit product with product from other vendors (and no supply chain security whatsoever), the chance of you getting a real set of tumblers vs. a facsimile is alarmingly high.

This matters because you're going to be drinking from them - the plastic needs to be foodsafe.

Some quick googling found me a couple options, I have no affiliation to any of these. I can't even vouch for their products, but I'd trust them over Amazon at least.

https://www.saveacup.com/
https://www.cuptureusa.com/
https://www.usacrylic.com/

Solid advice, of course all the links to products on the USA Acrylic site just say to go buy their product on Amazon :sigh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Doesn’t acrylic turn brittle and gross over time? I have a bunch of acrylic and they got micro cracks everywhere

The new plastic on the scene, Tritan, is supposed to be more durable

But you can never go wrong with glass

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Steve Yun posted:

Doesn’t acrylic turn brittle and gross over time? I have a bunch of acrylic and they got micro cracks everywhere

The new plastic on the scene, Tritan, is supposed to be more durable

But you can never go wrong with glass

I might end up getting another acrylic set again to replace these just because they do make it outside in the summer a lot. Pretty sure I got these in college and they have certainly held up well, no microcracks but some scratches here and there. The two I just lost both developed a crack in the base about the same size, not sure if it was just due to age or maybe the dishwasher? I'll look into tritan too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tritan flexes a little which I think helps it not crack, and refracts light purple around its edges

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Talk about your uni-taskers.... I've always kind of wanted a raclette melter machine for parties.

Anyone ever buy such a thing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I feel like that’s something a searzall would be good for

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like that’s something a searzall would be good for

Perfect, in fact.

I'm looking for the extravagance of one of those swivel setups.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Perfect, in fact.

I'm looking for the extravagance of one of those swivel setups.

I thought about doing that years ago to have for special occasions with my MIL and her family, but found that getting one of the $20 ones that works with a tea light on the table along with fondue/searzall'ed setup was able to hit the mark without having to then store the giant thing the other 362 days a year it wasn't in use.

Having said that, I just moved and have a ton more space in my kitchen/storage and am closer to my MIL's family..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I cancelled my Spinzall order at the last minute before shipping in what I want to believe was a surge of responsibility but was really just not wanting to figure out where to store it.

Alas.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Talk about your uni-taskers.... I've always kind of wanted a raclette melter machine for parties.

Anyone ever buy such a thing?

I've always had good success melting raclette in a small glass pan in the oven. Sloughs off onto the potatoes just fine and tastes great. If you wanted to get more traditional you could get a raclette iron and stick that in the oven or grill but i don't see what a dedicated machine would get you unless you're looking to sell raclette on the street (which if you are, please move to where i live so i can buy street raclette from you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there such a thing as a range oven with both induction and electric burners on the top? I don't want to give up using my old family classic corningware if I can avoid it, but otherwise induction seems like a great thing to chase.